• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever went through a game using only one Pokémon?

Years
Have you? HM slaves don't count if you didn't actually use them as team members. Or have you always had a party of two or more active members?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 28, 2021
Never tried it but I don't think I ever would. The appeal for me is to actually create unique team dynamics and test as many of them out. I did however as a kid kept cheesing through the E4 with Kyogre and Venusaur in another game.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I did once, for a challenge. I ran through Emerald with just my starter. I would try again with a non-starter probably.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 25, 2022
Yes, in the first few generations when I was a kid I believe I did. Was too lazy to properly make a team, and it wasn't that hard actually.

Years
Yes, in the first few generations when I was a kid I believe I did. Was too lazy to properly make a team, and it wasn't that hard actually.

Same! I think I used one team member up until DPPt or so. It was just so easy to only use my starter, and it leveled up so fast when it's all you're training lol.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Yes. Completed a Solo challenge with Nimbus the Castform (plus Pokemon for Hidden Machines) in Pokemon X. Hatched six. Kept one.

Chose Castform for its fun ability and to mitigate overleveling through weak stats. Enjoyed it. Fainted only three times. Tallied the first two in the first five levels. Recounts the third to a trainer's Crustle after the eighth gym. Dealt with confusion while it chose Shell Smash -> Rock Wrecker. Went from ~197/215 hitpoints to 0, non-critical and normal effective (with a 24 level advantage). Hit for less (181) on the rematch. Must have been a high damage roll.

Recorded the number of transformations too. Sun: 106. Rain: 104. Snow: 22.

SawkTheWarrior

SW-7387-7525-9201
Years
When i was 7, i went through a good portion of Fire red with (shocker!) a Charizard named Kick Butt. I got lost in rock tunnel and never escaped. I forgot about the game, but after about 2 1/2 years, i reset the game and started with charizard again, this time named Kick Ass, and then Electabuzz that i caught later became the star of the show.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i tried in leafgreen YEARS ago like. when i was maybe 12? and i got hella bored with a level 70 venusaur and bumrush added 5 more pokemon to the team and got them to like level 40 but lmfao. it felt pointless bc venusaur could just mow over everything if they couldn't do it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
When I beat Blue for the first time I went through the game with only Blastoise. Similarly I only used Typhlosion on my first playthrough of Gold.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
No, but there is a fangame called Soulstones ( great, great, great, great game, their fangame is on the fangame showcase forum here ), and 2 people have been playing the game so much times with monoruns, mono types, speedruns and one time, someone did 2 mono type runs in the same or less time that the dev slept.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Well yes and no. I made the typical rokie mistake of using your starter and only your starter but I would often send in another to heal my starter. But from what you're question says the answer may be no

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah, did a Bulbasaur only run (no evo) in Red once, with:
-Leech Seed
-Razor Leaf (Critical pretty much all the time due to being overlevelled, badge boosts, EVs, stat exp or whatever was called)
-Gen 1's hilarious Sleep Powder
-Body Slam for anything that resisted Razor Leaf

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Tried once in Platinum, I tried soloing with Infernape and catching basically nothing (except a roselia for cut I guess)
got as far as the last gym and then gave up.

However, this was way over a decade ago now.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
Years
Not as a challenge, but that's what I did as a kid in my first playthroughs of Gold, Ruby, and probably FireRed too, using my starter for every battle! I remember that in Ruby I got stuck early on (I think in Dewford Town) so that I already had my starter fully evolved and over level 40 by the time I reached the third gym...

Back