The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
Other Best/Easiest tool to change player front and back sprites in Emerald?

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old May 17th, 2018 (4:22 PM).
Vecni's Avatar
Vecni Vecni is offline
Memer
     
    Join Date: May 2018
    Location: I come from a land down under
    Gender: Other
    Nature: Naughty
    Posts: 11
    I've been getting into rom hacking, but currently, I am having trouble finding a good way to change the protagonist's front and back sprites, I have tried UNLZ GBA and it seems the colours do not sync, despite using the exact same indexed pallete, does anyone have a better way?
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old May 17th, 2018 (10:44 PM).
    Delta231's Avatar
    Delta231 Delta231 is online now
    A noob
       
      Join Date: May 2016
      Location: India
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Bold
      Posts: 522
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Vecni View Post
      I've been getting into rom hacking, but currently, I am having trouble finding a good way to change the protagonist's front and back sprites, I have tried UNLZ GBA and it seems the colours do not sync, despite using the exact same indexed pallete, does anyone have a better way?
      Do you know the graphical offsets and the palletes? I use NSE 2.1
      __________________
      Fire Red will rise again.

      A supporter of


      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old May 20th, 2018 (9:33 AM).
      Vecni's Avatar
      Vecni Vecni is offline
      Memer
         
        Join Date: May 2018
        Location: I come from a land down under
        Gender: Other
        Nature: Naughty
        Posts: 11
        I use UNLZ GBA but I do have NSE 2.0, could I maybe get linked 2.1? I heard it doesnt have emerald support though...
        Reply With Quote
          #4    
        Old May 20th, 2018 (9:34 AM).
        Vecni's Avatar
        Vecni Vecni is offline
        Memer
           
          Join Date: May 2018
          Location: I come from a land down under
          Gender: Other
          Nature: Naughty
          Posts: 11
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Delta231 View Post
          Do you know the graphical offsets and the palletes? I use NSE 2.1
          As for other tools, I use:
          YAPE
          Advanced Pokemon Sprite editor
          Advanced Pokemon Icon editor
          Advanced Pokemon Sprite positioner
          Reply With Quote
            #5    
          Old May 21st, 2018 (9:21 AM).
          BirdstarCat13's Avatar
          BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is online now
          Furret-loving Iskallian
             
            Join Date: Nov 2017
            Location: RenSkall island
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Timid
            Posts: 360
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Vecni View Post
            As for other tools, I use:
            YAPE
            Advanced Pokemon Sprite editor
            Advanced Pokemon Icon editor
            Advanced Pokemon Sprite positioner
            YAPE isn't as good as far as what I was able to get it to do - I've noticed some features have actually been *removed* in recent versions. I use G3T with PGE and it covers a lot more than YAPE (including lots of PokéDex data that YAPE doesn't even show you). G3T can edit movesets and EVs much more efficiently than the other editors, as well as explaining extra information about some stuff (thus removing a little bit of trial-and-error)
            Reply With Quote
              #6    
            Old May 21st, 2018 (1:26 PM).
            Vecni's Avatar
            Vecni Vecni is offline
            Memer
               
              Join Date: May 2018
              Location: I come from a land down under
              Gender: Other
              Nature: Naughty
              Posts: 11
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by BirdstarCat13 View Post
              YAPE isn't as good as far as what I was able to get it to do - I've noticed some features have actually been *removed* in recent versions. I use G3T with PGE and it covers a lot more than YAPE (including lots of PokéDex data that YAPE doesn't even show you). G3T can edit movesets and EVs much more efficiently than the other editors, as well as explaining extra information about some stuff (thus removing a little bit of trial-and-error)
              Okay thanks, but do you know a good way to edit back sprites? That'd be great, I'm unsure but I think May and Brendan share palletes for the back sprites? I know the front ones dont....
              Reply With Quote
                #7    
              Old May 21st, 2018 (9:44 PM). Edited May 21st, 2018 by BirdstarCat13.
              BirdstarCat13's Avatar
              BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is online now
              Furret-loving Iskallian
                 
                Join Date: Nov 2017
                Location: RenSkall island
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Timid
                Posts: 360
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Vecni View Post
                Okay thanks, but do you know a good way to edit back sprites? That'd be great, I'm unsure but I think May and Brendan share palletes for the back sprites? I know the front ones dont....
                NSE. You'll need UNLZ-GBA to find it, more than likely.
                Reply With Quote
                  #8    
                Old May 22nd, 2018 (2:17 PM).
                Vecni's Avatar
                Vecni Vecni is offline
                Memer
                   
                  Join Date: May 2018
                  Location: I come from a land down under
                  Gender: Other
                  Nature: Naughty
                  Posts: 11
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by BirdstarCat13 View Post
                  NSE. You'll need UNLZ-GBA to find it, more than likely.
                  I have tried many different things, the farthest I've gotten is being able to change both the front and back sprites with UNLZ on Ruby atleast, but when I did that (Even though both images shared the EXACT same pallete, and were indexed, the colours glitched out on either the front or back sprites, and by glitched out I mean placed the wrong colours in the wrong places
                  Reply With Quote
                    #9    
                  Old May 23rd, 2018 (3:42 AM).
                  BirdstarCat13's Avatar
                  BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is online now
                  Furret-loving Iskallian
                     
                    Join Date: Nov 2017
                    Location: RenSkall island
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Timid
                    Posts: 360
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Vecni View Post
                    I have tried many different things, the farthest I've gotten is being able to change both the front and back sprites with UNLZ on Ruby atleast, but when I did that (Even though both images shared the EXACT same pallete, and were indexed, the colours glitched out on either the front or back sprites, and by glitched out I mean placed the wrong colours in the wrong places
                    Then the order of the palette was wrong. Use NSE to fix it lol
                    Reply With Quote
                      #10    
                    Old May 23rd, 2018 (6:42 PM).
                    Vecni's Avatar
                    Vecni Vecni is offline
                    Memer
                       
                      Join Date: May 2018
                      Location: I come from a land down under
                      Gender: Other
                      Nature: Naughty
                      Posts: 11
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by BirdstarCat13 View Post
                      Then the order of the palette was wrong. Use NSE to fix it lol
                      I have no idea where the sprites are located at in NSE, and how do you even do that?
                      Reply With Quote
                        #11    
                      Old May 23rd, 2018 (10:12 PM).
                      BirdstarCat13's Avatar
                      BirdstarCat13 BirdstarCat13 is online now
                      Furret-loving Iskallian
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2017
                        Location: RenSkall island
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Timid
                        Posts: 360
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Vecni View Post
                        I have no idea where the sprites are located at in NSE, and how do you even do that?
                        *facepalm* you should have the offsets if you used UNLZ-GBA. Use those offsets.
                        Reply With Quote
                          #12    
                        Old May 26th, 2018 (6:04 PM).
                        Vecni's Avatar
                        Vecni Vecni is offline
                        Memer
                           
                          Join Date: May 2018
                          Location: I come from a land down under
                          Gender: Other
                          Nature: Naughty
                          Posts: 11
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by BirdstarCat13 View Post
                          *facepalm* you should have the offsets if you used UNLZ-GBA. Use those offsets.
                          I was never able to find the locations of the backsprites in UNLZ on emerald, just in ruby
                          Reply With Quote
                          Reply

                          Quick Reply

                          Join the conversation!

                          Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                          Create a PokéCommunity Account

                          Sponsored Links
                          Thread Tools

                          Posting Rules
                          You may not post new threads
                          You may not post replies
                          You may not post attachments
                          You may not edit your posts

                          BB code is On
                          Smilies are On
                          [IMG] code is On
                          HTML code is Off

                          Forum Jump


                          All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:11 PM.