• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] first challenge?

Valroxen

Self Proclaimed Trans Poke-Queen
Years
I have a feeling that my first challenge was a solo run of White with Samurott, if my memory serves me right.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 25, 2022
My first, and only so far, challenge I completed was a bug monotype of pokemon shield. Never was good at finishing runs/playthroughs of any sort besides the initial one (after game release). I think the first challenge I attempted was a nuzlocke of pokemon black 2, but I wiped at the first gym...

Although, I was particularly fond of using almost exclusively one pokemon as a kid for playthroughs, if that counts as unintentional solo running.

Panda280

Panda280
Years
My first challenge was Pokemon Sapphire Nuzlocke. I didn't like it very much. I technically losed the game, but everytime my pokemon die, I restarted the battle again. I like to do monotype challenge now.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Mine was a Fire Monotype of X way back in the day. I think my team was the event Blaziken as my ace, Delphox and Charizard as early Pokemon, and a Chandelure and Houndoom later on. I had a Crawdant as an HM mule for my sixth Pokemon, I think. I kind of dropped out of Pokemon after that, since I didn't know how to emulate yet, wasn't particularly enthused about the newer games at the time, and didn't want to erase any of my savegames, but I got way back into it this past year and started doing a ton more monotypes.

I used the EXP share, so it never ended up being much of a challenge, with most of my team in the 60s or 70s as the game ended, and my Blaziken finished in the 90s because event Pokemon are technically counted as traded Pokemon and got experience bonuses. I used Pokemon Amie enough to get the experience bonuses as well, but not for some of the other game-breaking stuff.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
My first challenge was the Vault Hunter Challenge, based on the Borderlands video game series. It was a lot of fun building a team around a specific theme. I also completed a Nuzlocke in Alpha Sapphire. I thought it would be tough since my starter died half way, but I managed to pick up solid Pokemon I'd never consider using. It was the first I used a Lunatone for example. I've probably done more challenges, but I can't remember at the moment...

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
I can't reliably recall but I think it was a Monotype Run or a Solo Run?

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for both of those.

Years
It was Lucian Diamond at the beginning of the year. It wasn't even intended as a challenge but simply as a new way for me to explore the same games in another light. Lucian was literally the protagonist and I invented a whole story around it. He came from a different dimension, he had to beat Cyrus and so on. The idea was also to explore all the minimal details in the Sinnoh region that many people miss with the approach of an intellectual person like Lucian.
So basically I did a very character challenge lol, with story and even in game sprite edit included. It was pretty cool indeed. Being an Elite Four, it was also a Monotype, basically. It wasn't as hard as I was expecting. I also forced myself to put the exactly same moves on the pokemon, which made the game a little longer.

Years
I remember setting out to train dragons on a Pokemon Pokemon Blue playthrough. Now because there is only one line of Pokemon that actually has the dragon typing, and it's a late game Pokemon, and I wasn't using a cheating device, I couldn't complete the game with actual monotype challenge or even a Dragonite solo run, so instead I made a theme of team of dragon and dragon-inspired Pokemon, including Charizard, Gyarados etc, in addition to using all stages of the Dragonite line, essentially I did what Lance did.

I'm not positive about what Pokemon occupied the 6th and final slot.
Nidoking or Nidoqueen would have been a the best choicebecause they are cool, formidable dinosaur-like creatures that could count as psuedo dragons, and you can get Nidorans very early game before you have any badges near Viridian city, and they have really wide move pools for coverage and a ground typing to fortified me further against the electricity that Charizard and Gyarados were weak to. I kinda doubt younger me had enough strategy to do this though though.

I might have ended doing something like put an Aerodactyl on the team, that I thought looked cooler, but would have helped me far less lol. At least I had a nice time though :)

Back