• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Items?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'd like to see the flutes return, in a way that you can actually use them in battle again.

Oh ya, hopefully not in the way that it occurs in R/S though, that was extremely tiring. Maybe just... given them through an event in-game every week? idk. They would also provide R/S remakes hints!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
While not a new item, I really want the VS Seeker to make a return. We haven't seen it since Platinum, and it is definitely one of my favorite items, and by far my favorite method of rematching trainers (RSE and HGSS's phones were honestly awful).

I'd like an item to prevent a Pokemon from gaining experience. Switch training would be much faster if your weaker Pokemon was gaining all of the experience, instead of being split with your stronger Pokemon.

I also want new special Poke Balls - Dusk Balls and Quick Balls were quite possibly my favorite part of Gen IV (though that might have to do with the fact that I took the time to get a Living Pokedex, but still). There's tons of different things they can do - maybe make the effectiveness dependent on your Pokemon and the foe's type matchup?

Years
New items?

So, it's a new generation, and with it come new Pokemon, as we now expect. But what about items? What kinds of things would you like to see in X and Y? New hold items? New medicine? Discuss! :classic:

dreamcatcher

Lump Appraiser
Years
I just wish Hydro Pump would finally become a TM :'( I would really like to see some pokes able to gain a powerful Water-type move finally - Salamence, Vanilluxe...Camerupt? Its volcanoes could act like geysers lol. Maybe that's going too far.

Honestly though, if they aren't planning on keeping the somewhat-corrupt move tutor system that they have now, I hope that Roost, Drain Punch, Giga Drain, Dragon Pulse, and Stealth Rock will make their returns as TMs this gen. Of course it's very likely that we'll also have a plethora of brand-new moves this time around again, and that would be great too.

Just...please Hydro Pump....please...

Akatsuki Ten

As It Is
Years
An item I'd like to see back is the Vs. Seeker. It was a useful item especially if there was a trainer that had higher levels rather than battling pokemon like Audino.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
An item I'd like to see back is the Vs. Seeker. It was a useful item especially if there was a trainer that had higher levels rather than battling pokemon like Audino.

Seconding this. The Vs. Seeker was by and far the most useful key item in the game, and I was upset they took it out in Gen 5. I guess I can sort of understand with the new experience mechanic that using the Vs. Seeker wouldn't be as effective, but it would still be nice to have back regardless. Made grinding much easier to achieve without having to search endlessly for Audinos.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
An idea I had recently, during a discussion about Flareon on another board - how about a set of hold items that swap two statistics - one each for each combination? So, for instance, you could have a Flareon hold the one that swaps Special Attack and Defense, so it'd have 95 base Defense instead of 60, and 60 base Special Attack instead of 95. It'd provide a way to fix some of the poor stat distributions without retconning anything, and it'd be entirely in the control of the players. You want to leave your Flareon with low Defense and increase its Speed instead? Just give it that hold item instead. Or you want to run it with Special attacks? Use one that swaps Attack for Defense or Speed (or whatever) instead.

It'd complicate prediction in competitive battling quite a bit - give a Cryogonal the one that swaps Special Defense and Defense, for instance, and that would certainly throw people off (at least momentarily), but aside from that, I don't think it would be an issue. It wouldn't be terribly unbalancing, in part because the stats wouldn't actually change - they'd just rearrange - so a low number would still exist, but would just be on a different stat, and in part because they'd be hold items, so holding one would mean that the pokemon couldn't hold anything else - lefties or life orb or a choice item or whatever.

??

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
An idea I had recently, during a discussion about Flareon on another board - how about a set of hold items that swap two statistics - one each for each combination? So, for instance, you could have a Flareon hold the one that swaps Special Attack and Defense, so it'd have 95 base Defense instead of 60, and 60 base Special Attack instead of 95. It'd provide a way to fix some of the poor stat distributions without retconning anything, and it'd be entirely in the control of the players. You want to leave your Flareon with low Defense and increase its Speed instead? Just give it that hold item instead. Or you want to run it with Special attacks? Use one that swaps Attack for Defense or Speed (or whatever) instead.

It'd complicate prediction in competitive battling quite a bit - give a Cryogonal the one that swaps Special Defense and Defense, for instance, and that would certainly throw people off (at least momentarily), but aside from that, I don't think it would be an issue. It wouldn't be terribly unbalancing, in part because the stats wouldn't actually change - they'd just rearrange - so a low number would still exist, but would just be on a different stat, and in part because they'd be hold items, so holding one would mean that the pokemon couldn't hold anything else - lefties or life orb or a choice item or whatever.

??

This almost seems like something that'd be super difficult when it came to the coding of the game. Swapping abilities is one thing, because it's rather simple. But switching stats as a whole seems like something that'd be difficult in the coding. However, I don't see anything inherently wrong with this, as pretty much if you're giving up one stat you're crippling yourself in another way as it is. I doubt I'd ever use this, but it's a cool concept.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Seconding this. The Vs. Seeker was by and far the most useful key item in the game, and I was upset they took it out in Gen 5. I guess I can sort of understand with the new experience mechanic that using the Vs. Seeker wouldn't be as effective, but it would still be nice to have back regardless. Made grinding much easier to achieve without having to search endlessly for Audinos.

I never found any great use for it. I actually constantly forgot it was there until I had to do some breeding in Gen 4 and would use it just to stop that one biker that prevents you from going straight up and down cycling road. Other than that it just sat in my pocket.

They can just make trainers rebattleable like they did in B2W2, or include another phone device. The VS seeker was pretty useless either way unless you wanted to just constantly grind through trainers rather than wild Pokemon. Even then it didn't do that much for ya.

Audino grinding > VS seeker grinding Would be nicer if they allowed Chansey and Blissey to appear in the wild too. But VS seeker. No thanks.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
This almost seems like something that'd be super difficult when it came to the coding of the game. Swapping abilities is one thing, because it's rather simple. But switching stats as a whole seems like something that'd be difficult in the coding. However, I don't see anything inherently wrong with this, as pretty much if you're giving up one stat you're crippling yourself in another way as it is. I doubt I'd ever use this, but it's a cool concept.
There're moves in the game that swap stats already (like Power Swap and Guard Swap, I think), so you could take the coding used for those and go from there.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

??

I'd like this a lot. :) In NU especially it could be really useful. Like for Mantine for example, to throw people off. Plus it could also look like a Choice Item and they'd not know until they attack, which is awesome!

Back