• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Eternal X & Wilting Y [Version 2.67 Released]

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Yeah, it's been on the whole time, and my team only consists of six Pokemon.
I notice the trainer battles don't give me a whole lot of EXP at all. I'm getting roughly 700ish at this point, I think. I'm now up to Ramos, and facing the same disadvantage- Hawlucha is about Level 37, same as my Charizard, and these two are the highest on my team. Has the experience modifier affected the trainer battles? The docs aren't very clear about that.
Yeah, experience yield is part of a Pokemon's base stats; it's used in trainer and wild battles, just with different modifiers applied to it to calculate the actual EXP you receive. I know it doesn't look like you're getting much EXP when half of what you expect pops up on screen, but with the XY EXP Share you're actually getting a lot more (250% extra, to be exact); it's just shared amongst your entire team.
I'm not sure what's going on with your team, it doesn't sound like you're training anything that levels up slowly. Some people have been overlevelled at Korrina, and all of my play throughs have followed the level curve pretty closely. have you been through Azure Bay yet?

Lithobraker

Practicioner of the fine art of breaking one's fal
Years
Yeah, experience yield is part of a Pokemon's base stats; it's used in trainer and wild battles, just with different modifiers applied to it to calculate the actual EXP you receive. I know it doesn't look like you're getting much EXP when half of what you expect pops up on screen, but with the XY EXP Share you're actually getting a lot more (250% extra, to be exact); it's just shared amongst your entire team.
I'm not sure what's going on with your team, it doesn't sound like you're training anything that levels up slowly. Some people have been overlevelled at Korrina, and all of my play throughs have followed the level curve pretty closely. have you been through Azure Bay yet?
No. I'm 90% new to Kalos, so I may have missed some areas I didn't know I could go to.
My team consists of a Greninja, Lilligant, Charizard, Doublade, Hawlucha, and Tynamo.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
No. I'm 90% new to Kalos, so I may have missed some areas I didn't know I could go to.
My team consists of a Greninja, Lilligant, Charizard, Doublade, Hawlucha, and Tynamo.
Exploring the bay should help, there are quite a few trainers there. The water around Cyllage has a few more swimmers in it too, and both areas have some nice TMs; it's definitely worth back tracking a bit to explore them. Once you get Fly I'd also recommend going back to the Chateau every so often; the trainers there get progressively stronger the more you battle, and you'll eventually unlock Gym Leader rematches.
Your team looks solid. Tynamo might need the Lucky Egg every so often due to its growth rate, though (I think there's one available just before Ramos).

Lithobraker

Years
Exploring the bay should help, there are quite a few trainers there. The water around Cyllage has a few more swimmers in it too, and both areas have some nice TMs; it's definitely worth back tracking a bit to explore them. Once you get Fly I'd also recommend going back to the Chateau every so often; the trainers there get progressively stronger the more you battle, and you'll eventually unlock Gym Leader rematches.
Your team looks solid. Tynamo might need the Lucky Egg every so often due to its growth rate, though (I think there's one available just before Ramos).
Thanks! I'll give that a look.
Edit: Having turned the game back on again, my team's levels are as such:
Popple the Greninja: Level 38
Trogdor the Charizard: Level 39
Laila the Lilligant: Level 37
Night's Edge the Doublade: Level 37
Rawk Hawk the Hawlucha: Level 39
Hovercraft the Tynamo: Level 27
Just got the Lucky Egg, now I'm going to pay Azure Bay a visit and see how that turns out.
I think the reason I missed it is because I'm much more used to Unova, which is a highly linear region with very few branching pathways that actually have trainers to battle on them.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Thanks! I'll give that a look.
Edit: Having turned the game back on again, my team's levels are as such:
Popple the Greninja: Level 38
Trogdor the Charizard: Level 39
Laila the Lilligant: Level 37
Night's Edge the Doublade: Level 37
Rawk Hawk the Hawlucha: Level 39
Hovercraft the Tynamo: Level 27
Just got the Lucky Egg, now I'm going to pay Azure Bay a visit and see how that turns out.
I think the reason I missed it is because I'm much more used to Unova, which is a highly linear region with very few branching pathways that actually have trainers to battle on them.
Kalos is pretty similar to Unova in that regard, it's only got a couple of optional areas; the difference is that all of them house a few trainers. Those levels look about right, most of Ramos' Pokemon are level 42 so you should be fine. His Gogoat is supposed to be a few levels higher than the player's team because it was a pretty disappointing ace otherwise. How was Korrina difficulty wise anyway? She seemed underwhelming on my last playthrough, but I couldn't tell whether that was because I've played through the game a few times, or because she actually needs adjusting.

Lithobraker

Years
Kalos is pretty similar to Unova in that regard, it's only got a couple of optional areas; the difference is that all of them house a few trainers. Those levels look about right, most of Ramos' Pokemon are level 42 so you should be fine. His Gogoat is supposed to be a few levels higher than the player's team because it was a pretty disappointing ace otherwise. How was Korrina difficulty wise anyway? She seemed underwhelming on my last playthrough, but I couldn't tell whether that was because I've played through the game a few times, or because she actually needs adjusting.
Korrina was fairly hardcore. I had my Greninja with a Chesto Berry and Ice Punch to try and take her Breloom out, but it just never used Spore, like it somehow knew he had a Chesto Berry. It'd use Spore freely on anyone else, but not my Greninja. That was tough to overcome, but otherwise, I managed to power through it with a disadvantage.
I didn't record my team's levels, so the disadvantage was probably somewhere around 4 to 6 levels, but it was enough to make getting through her team a chore.
I had to resort to Sleep Powder/Quiver Dance abuse by my Lilligant in order to win, which really shouldn't be the only way.

I should note I haven't been able to battle the Sky Trainers until recently, given Hawlucha is ineligible, Charizard only just evolved, and Tynamo is a Tynamo.

Edit: Just absolutely destroyed Ramos after having trouble with his Ferrothorn. Opened with Mega Charizard-X and Fire Punched it before it could do any serious damage, then proceeded to absolutely demolish Ramos with Hawlucha and a single Unburden Acrobatics sweep. Even managed to set up a Swords Dance on his Gogoat while it used Bulk Up, and completely demolished Mega Venusaur without a second thought. Now THAT was satisfying.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 24, 2016

can you pass the game v 1.2 in .cia pls? :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Korrina was fairly hardcore. I had my Greninja with a Chesto Berry and Ice Punch to try and take her Breloom out, but it just never used Spore, like it somehow knew he had a Chesto Berry. It'd use Spore freely on anyone else, but not my Greninja. That was tough to overcome, but otherwise, I managed to power through it with a disadvantage.
I didn't record my team's levels, so the disadvantage was probably somewhere around 4 to 6 levels, but it was enough to make getting through her team a chore.
I had to resort to Sleep Powder/Quiver Dance abuse by my Lilligant in order to win, which really shouldn't be the only way.

I should note I haven't been able to battle the Sky Trainers until recently, given Hawlucha is ineligible, Charizard only just evolved, and Tynamo is a Tynamo.

Edit: Just absolutely destroyed Ramos after having trouble with his Ferrothorn. Opened with Mega Charizard-X and Fire Punched it before it could do any serious damage, then proceeded to absolutely demolish Ramos with Hawlucha and a single Unburden Acrobatics sweep. Even managed to set up a Swords Dance on his Gogoat while it used Bulk Up, and completely demolished Mega Venusaur without a second thought. Now THAT was satisfying.
Korrina probably took one look at Greninja's typing and decided to attack it, the AI will always go for a super effective move if it has one. Don't worry too much about the sky trainers, they're completely optional and most of them are set up to be more annoying than they were in the official games.
Poor Ramos, Grass is such a bad type for a mono-type team. Glad you had fun sweeping him though!

can you pass the game v 1.2 in .cia pls? :)
Sorry, distributing ROMs is illegal (and against the rules here), and a .cia contains a ROM. If you've already got a 1.1 .cia I could upload a patch to update that to 1.2, or you could build one yourself; it's not that hard and there are instructions included in the download.

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2017
To clarify; only the legit version can produce legitimate pokemon, correct?

I played through y once and I'm going to give gen VI another pass because I didn't exactly take to it the first time and I've recently been replaying old games in excitement for gen VII, so I'll be using pokemon bank to transfer up. Obviously with the changes to cut/leech life I couldn't transfer pokemon from that, but are the base stats significant enough to qualify as incorrect?

also, this is less specific to this hack, more to these 3ds hacks in general: why are patches not working? what changes do they make that break all of these romhacks (Neo X, Y, Rutile Ruby, Star Sapphire, etc.)?

Props for this by the way.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
To clarify; only the legit version can produce legitimate pokemon, correct?

I played through y once and I'm going to give gen VI another pass because I didn't exactly take to it the first time and I've recently been replaying old games in excitement for gen VII, so I'll be using pokemon bank to transfer up. Obviously with the changes to cut/leech life I couldn't transfer pokemon from that, but are the base stats significant enough to qualify as incorrect?
All of the versions of this hack will produce illegal Pokemon; they'll be caught in the wrong place at the wrong level, they could have their Hidden Ability without their HA flag set, or they could have egg moves without being hatched from an egg. The move changes are part of the ROM itself, so they aren't stored in your save file and won't affect legality; if you transfer a Pokemon that knows an edited move, it'll just know a terrible move once it's in the bank. You can play any version you want, but if you want the Pokemon you catch to be transferable you'd have to edit them slightly with PKHex first.

also, this is less specific to this hack, more to these 3ds hacks in general: why are patches not working? what changes do they make that break all of these romhacks (Neo X, Y, Rutile Ruby, Star Sapphire, etc.)?
The title updates all include a replacement code.bin file which tells the game which files it should read from the update; this file is also where all the mart data is stored, so any mart changes made in the hack get overwritten. On top of that, the updates also include replacement text and wild Pokemon files, so those get changed back to vanilla too. I've tried making custom updates but I don't know how to rebuild them once they're edited.

Props for this by the way.
Thanks!

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2017
All of the versions of this hack will produce illegal Pokemon; they'll be caught in the wrong place at the wrong level, they could have their Hidden Ability without their HA flag set, or they could have egg moves without being hatched from an egg. The move changes are part of the ROM itself, so they aren't stored in your save file and won't affect legality; if you transfer a Pokemon that knows an edited move, it'll just know a terrible move once it's in the bank. You can play any version you want, but if you want the Pokemon you catch to be transferable you'd have to edit them slightly with PKHex first.

The title updates all include a replacement code.bin file which tells the game which files it should read from the update; this file is also where all the mart data is stored, so any mart changes made in the hack get overwritten. On top of that, the updates also include replacement text and wild Pokemon files, so those get changed back to vanilla too. I've tried making custom updates but I don't know how to rebuild them once they're edited.

Thanks!

That's a small enough price to pay, I've been looking for a hack that doesn't change all the text in game, or an insane difficulty curve.

Noted on the patch thing, interesting but inconvenient. I have been seeing people integrating romhacks into patches (which I won't link here for obvious reasons, I can pm a link if you're interested but I don't know if the link itself is actually very interesting) but they're missing some things - hopefully we can see a breakthrough with that sometime, but I'm not really holding my breath. Asia81 might have some better knowledge of that.

Decrypting a cia now, hopefully X sticks with me better this time than Y the first, now that I've just played through Platinum again and Black for the first time.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
That's a small enough price to pay, I've been looking for a hack that doesn't change all the text in game, or an insane difficulty curve.

Noted on the patch thing, interesting but inconvenient. I have been seeing people integrating romhacks into patches (which I won't link here for obvious reasons) but they're missing some things - hopefully we can see a breakthrough with that sometime, but I'm not really holding my breath. Asia81 might have some better knowledge of that.

Decrypting a cia now, hopefully X sticks with me better this time than Y the first, now that I've just played through Platinum again and Black for the first time.
Yeah, I did try Asia81's patch rebuilding tool, but it didn't like the update's code.bin file after I hex edited all the changes into it. Might have to ask him why at some point, it would be nice to have working Poke Ball animations and no save glitches in the hacks.
XY were so disappointing after playing Platinum and BW, Gamefreak really dropped the ball when they were designing the trainer teams; some of the stuff I found while editing them was pretty sad. I hope you enjoy Eternal X!

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2017
Yes. You also need either a Flash cart or CFW. No emulator will play it (at least not at the quality/speed you want it at)

You don't necessarily need to go that far, you can do it with Homebrew using HANS, but if you're on the latest version (10.7 as of right now) you have to have a game with a save exploit to use it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Can somebody please give me a link to the emulator?

The only 3DS emulator I'm aware of is citra. It's still in development and won't be able to run XY at full speed for quite some time. You'd be much better off playing on a 3DS with the homebrew launcher or custom firmware installed.

Islingr

Light Bringer
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 14, 2016
Can I use this on the games with their updates installed on 10.7 with A9LH?
I noticed that Rutile Ruby and Star Saphire hacks you can keep their updates via the hans method. So was just curious if its possible now on X & Y

Edit: While following the CFW instructions. You mention to replace both files. Yet I notice that you include "code.bin" While the decrypted folder contains ".code.bin" I take it I should probably rename yours to ".code.bin" then.

Edit 2: Nvm going further down in the instructions it mentions the program will do it for you. But I did it anyways so w/e doesn't matter I guess. Also going to note that either renaming it yourself or letting the program do it will still come up with a popup you don't mention in the instructions about it asking if you want to compress the code.bin file. I will assume that since we don't seem to be editing the ExHeader that we should allow it to compress. Unless I get a response otherwise, I will proceed with that assumption.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Can I use this on the games with their updates installed on 10.7 with A9LH?
I noticed that Rutile Ruby and Star Saphire hacks you can keep their updates via the hans method. So was just curious if its possible now on X & Y
I haven't had a chance to install A9LH myself yet, but if it can ignore installed updates that should be fine. You can check if it works early on by going to the Aquacorde Poké Ball shop; if they're selling Cherish Balls instead of Poké Balls, it works.

Edit: While following the CFW instructions. You mention to replace both files. Yet I notice that you include "code.bin" While the decrypted folder contains ".code.bin" I take it I should probably rename yours to ".code.bin" then.

Edit 2: Nvm going further down in the instructions it mentions the program will do it for you. But I did it anyways so w/e doesn't matter I guess. Also going to note that either renaming it yourself or letting the program do it will still come up with a popup you don't mention in the instructions about it asking if you want to compress the code.bin file. I will assume that since we don't seem to be editing the ExHeader that we should allow it to compress. Unless I get a response otherwise, I will proceed with that assumption.
Yeah, let it compress the code.bin, the only time it doesn't need to be compressed is when it's being used with HANS. Thanks for mentioning this, I'll add it to the guide sometime soon.

Islingr

Light Bringer
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 14, 2016
I haven't had a chance to install A9LH myself yet, but if it can ignore installed updates that should be fine. You can check if it works early on by going to the Aquacorde Poké Ball shop; if they're selling Cherish Balls instead of Poké Balls, it works.

Yeah, let it compress the code.bin, the only time it doesn't need to be compressed is when it's being used with HANS. Thanks for mentioning this, I'll add it to the guide sometime soon.
Appreciate the reply. I didn't go with the Hans method for storage reasons. Anyways I followed the guide to the letter and the game won't boot. I guess I could have missed something but didn't see anything that I glaringly missed. When I attempt to launch the game it gives the standard Nintendo error "An Error has occurred. Reboot the system" Idk where I went wrong. I used braindump and extracted the files from the cxi, allowed it to decompress the code.bin, though that is probably irrelevant anyways. Replaced the files accordingly and then followed the instructions to recompress to 3ds. Used the converter then installed it. The update data is deleted so I don't think that's the issue.

I have acquired *ahem* certain other cias from places and they run fine. I dumped legit copies that I own so idk at this point. I tried following this guide with star sapphire as well since pretty much same procedure. Even has different banner and icon which shows after installing it but launching it is the same as this game.

Edit: I found a prebuilt version so gonna try that and see if I end up getting an error with it as well. will report back if that's the case.

Last edited:
Back