• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

Guy

just a guy
Years
It was only a matter of time before Pokémon migrated over onto the 3DS. This isn't a surprise to be honest. They should have done it with B2/W2, or even Black and White, but they held back. This isn't the first time Pokémon has moved onto the next big selling console either. They've done it multiple times before and this isn't going to be the last ─ unless, Nintendo never makes a new handheld and stops at the 3DS, which is very unlikely.

I, myself, have been withholding from getting a 3DS until the right time came to buy one. For me, that time was when GameFreak finally decided to release a main title on the system, which they have - and it looks quite smashing might I add.

I can't buy one right now due to not having the money, but you can bet before October rolls around, I'll be a new owner of a 3DS and Pokémon X/Y.

I will never be able to get a 3DS because my parents think that my DS lite is good enough, so I feel like I've been booted out of the fandom. Business decision? great! But personally I hate it even though it'll make the games a lot better.
If you're old enough, I'd recommend it's high time to find a job and save up some money for one. If not, you could always sell some old things you no longer need or use to save up money for a 3DS in time to buy one or both of the new games. Your parents couldn't stop you from getting one then, I'm sure.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
actually, most people i know just haven't bought the 3DS because the games aren't that great. i'm sure the pokemon fans will be able to get enough money to trade in their DSi and maybe an old pokemon game for a 3DS and pokemon x/y.

Years
  • Seen Aug 26, 2014
I really do wish they could release it on the DS versions. I'm not going to get the 3DS just for Pokemon X & Y.

Years
I really do wish they could release it on the DS versions. I'm not going to get the 3DS just for Pokemon X & Y.

They've dropped the DS officially, it isnt going to happen. Game Freak had to move to the 3DS, they've had to do this for every new system Nintendo makes, if they didnt they would lose money and Nintendo would not support them if they didnt move to the next system. This is just the way it is and how the video game business works.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013

Then maybe you should try to find some other games you might enjoy!

Personally, I'd recommend Super Mario 3D Land! I've enjoyed playing it for a long time! And the remake of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time would be worth it. And for something Pokemon related, there's always the 3D Pokedex Pro which can also double as a substitute "Snap 2" since you can take pictures of the Pokemon! And of course if you have your Gen 5 games, I'd get the Dream Radar so you can get the Therian Formes as well as use the Gen 4 games to get all 5 Gen 4 mascots.

And remember, most likely there will be more Pokemon games in the future besides just X & Y. Not to mention all the fun extras like the Mii games and stuff that are already on the 3DS. It's well worth the investment.

Years
The 3DS has been available for close to two years in North America, and considering Diamond / Pearl came out nearly two years after the DS' launch, it's about time a new Pokémon generation arrived on the former. While Nintendo hasn't sold quite as many 3DS units as it did the DS within a similar timeframe, it's still sold a decent amount of them-- at the very least, many people consider it the go-to handheld system rather than the Vita, which is a pretty good accomplishment. Plus, Pokémon itself is a system-seller. I don't think we need to worry about the game not performing well commercially.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
I personally think a 3DS is well worth it, and if you hate the 3D, just turn it off and never use it.

That aside, in my case I have a 3DS so I don't really care that it's 3DS exclusive. However, in the case of everyone else, I can see people having an aversion to it because of the price or, in the case of parents of small children, the fact that the 3D isn't good for them (though, again, they can just turn it off, but little kids sometimes don't know better so Idk), but given how A. there are currently awesome games out for it and more awesome games coming out in the future (X and Y included) and B. there's plenty of time before X's and Y's release so there's a chance the price will drop at least once ('course, how much it'd drop is a different story), and C. it's POKEMON, I doubt it'd be the end.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 31, 2016
Honestly, I think that people should have the 3DS already. DSi and DSLite are outdated, and have been. They were already obsolete when BW2 came out. I bought my 3DS when I got my tax returns last year and it was the best thing ever.

As far as how many people have the 3DS currently, I would think that TPCi had made this decision based on how many people have downloaded Pokedex 3D in the marketplace. That would give them a sort of head count for how many players HAVE a 3DS.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Although I can't afford a 3DS, I don't think it means the end for pokemon, I think it'll just buy it for pokemon games, especially the new mystery dungeon, looks sexy xD

usami

biohazard
Years
  • Age 33
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 5, 2021
How can anyone even say this? lol.
It's like saying Ruby and Sapphire being on the GBA would be the end of Pokémon, Diamond and Pearl on the DS etc.

It's the same thing that's happened every time they make the change of handhelds.
If people want the game that bad, they'll buy a 3DS or, more likely, already had one because they knew this was coming eventually.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I have a 3DS XL. To people saying Pokemon isn't enough of a reason to buy a 3DS, there are other games. I also bought a 3DS XL only for Pokemon. I can play all Gen 4, 5 and soon 6 on it. Worthy buy if you ask me.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
Years
The DS is way too old. It's older than the XBOX 360, it needs to RIP. Why people is so obsessed with the DS?

It's not like Nintendo is forcing people to use the 3DS. Forcing would be Apple telling people the iPhones prior to the 4S are not gonna be compatible with x thing so they should buy iPhone 5 (every year there's a new iPhone).

KazukoHimura

"I guess I'm just a bit hungry..."
Years
I already have a 3DS and I agree with some of the first people on the page, It'll only boost 3DS sales. The regular 3DS will most likely go down in price soon, now that the 3DS XL is out. As for the thing about worrying about small children and the 3D part, there's an option to disable it in the parental controls. Only reason I know this is because my mentally challenged sister got a 3DS for Christmas not this past year, but the year before, and I had to disable it from accessing the internet.

ascension7

Creator of UnovaHGSS
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2023
This is ridiculous.

DS release: November 24, 2004
Diamond/Pearl: April 22, 2007
882 days

3DS release: March 25, 2011
XY: October 1, 2013 (for calculation purposes, I just used the first)
921 days at least

There's more time than the last system upgrade. It's just stupidity. :)

Also, the 3DS is compatible with Gen 4 and 5, 2 generations backward. The DS is compatible only with one generation backward, Gen 3, and that's on the older models. Mathematically speaking, these games are in a better situation than Diamond/Pearl was with the DS. Was everyone always this horrible when the Pokemon games went to a new system? I'm getting aneurysms reading some of these things I see online. :'(

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
Now I have to buy a 3DS xD
Time to save up money...

It was time for Pokemon to enter the next handheld console anyways, it would appeal to the audience more with new 3D features instead of the same features over and over again on DS. They implemented the new camera angles really well in X and Y. Plus, the 3D models used in battle are BRILLIANT, no more pixelated messes like the ones in Black and White.

QuickSilveri

Veteran
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
I cant be the only one... :/

am I the only one who is disappointed in the fact that the next Pokemon game is not compatible with the DS Lite?
Granted, 3D tech is not possible (per say) on the Lite, but I would think that they would wait until the 3DS was a little cheaper to put out such a popular game with such exclusiveness. (oh wait...) i hate money..

blue

gucci
Years
This was bound to happen sooner or later, the DS System has been around for 7 years now so I think it's definitely time we changed.

The DS also had two generations under its belt which is more than any other handheld console, I don't know why people think we should stick to the DS when we've had a perfectly working and fresh new handheld releases for 2 years, even longer for Game Freak in terms of the development kit. The only way it was going to ever stay on the DS for a year longer would have been if they decided to remake Ruby & Sapphire before X & Y which would have been a bad move on their part.

Pokemon is one of their best selling Franchise, not only will it sell on the 3DS but it will also boost the sales of the 3DS handheld too. I can understand why people would be irritated that they didn't stick these games on the Nintendo DS but think about it... why would they? The 3DS is the current console, it has so much more to offer and ultimately, the games are far better off on the 3DS.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
You're not the only one, in fact you're not the only one right now either.

This sort of thing has happened before in the pokemon series, technology evolves and the series evolves along with it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 28, 2024
No - you're definitely not the only one. I've seen tons and tons of people complaining about this.

But, honestly - the 3DS has already been out for almost two years. That's more than enough time to allow customers to buy one. Obviously, the switch was going to made sooner or later - technology keeps moving forward, so, eventually hardware has to get upgraded.

Back