• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Years
Haha Spinda looks like a cute Drunken Kung Fu Apprentice :D
Its crazy how far the Sprites have come, what i like the most about X/Y is how flying Pokemon actually use their wings to stay in the air, looks sick!

archeops.gif

Yeah Archeops has a good flying animation this generation. In fact, I heard that for a Flying-type Pokemon to be eligible in a sky battle they have to actually be flying in their animation like Archeops there.

And isn't it funny that after 4 generations of its' existence, Xatu is finally flying as opposed to just standing!

xatu.gif

Blaki'

I wonder what's for dinner :3
Years
In my opinion, the fact that Eelektross is levitating in X and Y is the weirdest thing in this game xD

Years
In my opinion, the fact that Eelektross is levitating in X and Y is the weirdest thing in this game xD

I guess that's why its ability is Levitate. Get it now?

Which is very weird to see that in its 5th Gen sprite, it was more like, bouncing in its animation and not really floating.

Blaki'

I wonder what's for dinner :3
Years
I knew about Levitate but it's because in Gen V, he's like standing on its "feet", that disturb me the first time I fought one.

Years
I knew about Levitate but it's because in Gen V, he's like standing on its "feet", that disturb me the first time I fought one.

Yeah, Pokemon can be so weird at times...

In fact, I didn't know those pod things on Ferrothorn functioned as feet.

ferrothorn.gif

It's a huge contrast to its 5th Gen sprite which depicted it... dangling?

598.gif

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
The sprites have come a looooong way since Gen 1. So much improvement for the better. I can't even imagine how awful some of those Gen 1 sprites would've been, had they been rendered in 3D.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I'm a massive fan of Gen VI sprites. Like, I'm actually going out of my way to find and evolve Pokémon to see what they look like as opposed to just... catching them. It's brought a totally new novelty to the game for me and I'm really liking that. It's also cool seeing them in new positions like the one Hikari mentioned up there.

...god, I feel like a kid again, haha.

Years
I'm a massive fan of Gen VI sprites. Like, I'm actually going out of my way to find and evolve Pokémon to see what they look like as opposed to just... catching them. It's brought a totally new novelty to the game for me and I'm really liking that. It's also cool seeing them in new positions like the one Hikari mentioned up there.

...god, I feel like a kid again, haha.

I do agree with ya there dude, I think X/Y's 3D models made me fall in love with some Pokemon I never liked a lot previously. And I was actually quite shocked when I noticed that Marill and Azumarill's tail lights up, that's kinda cool I have to say and funnily enough there was no evidence of it until now.

Take a look at this animation of Azumarill and you'll see it:
azumarill-2.gif

Years
Well, the 3D models took the game to another level. I was transferring Pokemon from my previous games to Black 2 for the Bank the other day and I was shocked. I prefer the 3D models obviously. I feel like Pokemon are "alive" now, you know. :)

Years
Pleasant nightmares
mr._mime.gif

Mr. Mime's animation sure is hilarious and creepy (it even does it in Pokemon Amie, go play with a Mr. Mime and you'll see) but it's doing stereotypical hand movements that mimes do, like it's touching a wall.

And I actually felt kinda surprised when I heard on Serebii that Cyndaquil, Quilava and Typhlosion don't have visible flames anymore. It's kinda sad because the flames were their most defining feature but I guess they were cut to save on memory space or something.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Mr. Mime's animation sure is hilarious and creepy (it even does it in Pokemon Amie, go play with a Mr. Mime and you'll see) but it's doing stereotypical hand movements that mimes do, like it's touching a wall.

And I actually felt kinda surprised when I heard on Serebii that Cyndaquil, Quilava and Typhlosion don't have visible flames anymore. It's kinda sad because the flames were their most defining feature but I guess they were cut to save on memory space or something.

Flame-less Cyndaquil, Quilava and Typhlosion is actually normal. They only light their flames when they're in battle or are about to attack.

I'm also slightly disturbed by Mr. Mime's X/Y model and find Archeops' X/Y model pretty hilarious.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years

From what I've seen, that's only in their idling pose. They still erupt into flame when launching an attack...at least Typhlosion does, I haven't seen Cyndaquil or Quilava in battle yet. XD

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The animations in XY are precious and I love them. That's why I wanted to make a point to actually obtain all my Pokemon instead of getting just Dex entries when I was working on my Dex, but hey, I can go for that goal another time. I like playing with them all in Amie too, because they're all so precious and wonderful and man they put a lot of time and effort into them. There's 700+ and just wow.

And for the opposite end of the spectrum, I've been playing Green and honestly, just looking at the sprites on Serebii or Bulbapedia isn't enough. When you actually see these things pop up in battle or when you check your Pokemons' summaries, it can be creepy. We all know that many of them look creepy, but actually finding them in the wild is SCARY. I got to Mt. Moon last night and found Zubat and it's just...creepy. And Kakuna scared the hell out of me too. It has no eyes. Just black holes. It's still fun to play though, if only for shock value. lol

From what I've seen, that's only in their idling pose. They still erupt into flame when launching an attack...at least Typhlosion does, I haven't seen Cyndaquil or Quilava in battle yet. XD

They do. I've used all three, and they all puff up with fire and eruption and flame-y goodness when they attack.

Years
Wow didn't notice they still had flames showing up when attacking, thanks for the pointers though but that's probably because I've only seen Pokemon in the Kalos Dex right now and not the Friend Safari/Pokebank exclusive stuff.

And for some weird reason Crobat looks kinda scary in 3D. It actually appears very big when you face it in-game so no wonder why. Even Electrode scared the hell out of me when I noticed it was very big as well.

Also, I love how Purrloin now stands on its hind legs like in the anime:

purrloin.gif

That's pretty cool I gotta say, still doesn't beat Sneasel's awesome crossed arms pose though.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It's funny you mention that about Crobat, because iirc it had a large model in the spin-off 3D games as well. Pokemon sizing is always strange.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
136.png

They way that Flareon's tail stands straight up in this generation bothers me a lot.
IMO it looks like he has a hair dryer stuck under his butt blowing his tail straight into the air.

I do love how Vaporeon looks though. He looks so poised and battle-ready.
134.png

Aello

Pokemon Breeder
Years
Ever seen a swarm of Trevanant?

My literal first reaction was "OH GOD SPIDERS" and then I realized they were supposed to be trees. 0_o.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I was always confused about Purrloin and its sitting down in the games. Liked it better in the anime, so I welcome the change in X/Y too!

Haha, Flareon has had its share of weird sprites through the years. Not too bad, but Silver's sprite has it looking like it was just forcefully bathed and shook its fur dry.
Spr_2s_136.png

Emerald's sitting position and weird tail-twitch isn't impressing me.
Spr_3e_136.gif

Not to mention the odd back leg in HG/SS. And now the blowdrier under the butt xD
Spr_4h_136.png

However, it's one of the most adorable pokémon in existence, imo, and has some really cute and great sprites too.
Spr_1y_136.png
Spr_2c_136.gif
Spr_3f_136.png
Spr_4d_136.png
Spr_b_2g_136.png

Hm, I did like it better when its fluff was white instead of yellow. But I guess it was always yellowish in the anime, so in the games it was mostly a lack of technical possibility that made it white. Or something.

And, haha, Mr Mime's model is awesome imo!
mr._mime.gif

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I prefer Flareon with the white fluff also. It's more offset than the yellow and the tan. Also, all the Eeveelutions seemed to get weird legs in HGSS iirc. I don't feel like gathering sprites right now, but I know Jolteon and Vaporeon were weird. Jolteon's face is the biggest problem though.

Back