The PokéCommunity Forums Entertainment & Media Video Games
Gamer Obscurea; Games in Hiding

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:57 AM).

Nature: Lonely

Neverland Card Battles
    PSP
    by: Yuke's

There is a large library of PSP games and a LOT of them are well known, and I do mean literally; even in multiplayer. So obscure video games in this field is more difficult, THIS INCLUDES FINDING THE HARD TO FIND VIDEO GAMES!:cry:

I did find one, that for a card game was actually a lot of fun... for a tactics gentlemen like myself. Never land Card Battles is an interesting fusion of Culdcept Revolt meet's Final Fantasy Tactics or Yu-Gi-Oh meet's Shining Force for the Sega Genesis.

In the game, you play as a dashing rouge who has inherited your grandfather's deck of cards and get guided to a massive underground tomb. You meet the guardian who teaches you about the cards, shows you how to use them, the purpose of your existence there and the game start's. At the bottom of the tomb is suppose to be a big bad villain who's main goal is to take over the world.... 'OF COURSE!' Your objective is as follows, seal it, kill it or re-awaken it. On your way down, you'll meet other people with deck's of their own with their own agenda's, such as one of them wanting to awakening the big bad due to being possessed, another just looking to gain more cards to bring to the surface and do his own world domination scheme's and another just being an explorer documenting the tomb. Etc.

The game is fair and fun if your enjoy games like Culdcept Revolt on your 3DS and has multiplayer options, so it's a spiffy step in the right direction... So why did the game fail?.... Not a lot of people we're into card game tactics mixed with tabletop element's which this is in the end, kinda what it is and the niche audience for this title is incredibly hard to find anymore. I did a little more digging on the developer's, Yuke's and found out they mostly developed sports games; most notably wrestling and fighting titles from the WWE line-up and more obscure fighter titles such as Rumbling Roses.... which is a female boxing game title, so foxy boxing? I won't get into the details since I don't own nor have I played that title, moving on. If you played a WWE, there's a 95% chance that Yuke's we're behind some of the coding to the title and having their shtick published by a publisher such as the dead THQ or EA or Activision or D3 or 2K games... Wow, lot's of publishers.

In my opinion, I think we stabbed a developer in the back as a consumer, because when researching this title, they we're the only gent's I could find as a publisher. They we're a game company trying to get around on their own and join the league of gaming giants with fantasy and arts or something new and we killed it without even looking into this game, the game itself had exposure in the media and said 'HEY AMERICA! JAPAN! THIS IS COMING OUT!" and we ignored it. If you have a love of card games and tactic's I recommend giving this title a VERY hard look and give it a playthrough.

Relevant Advertising!

Old 4 Weeks Ago (4:27 PM).

Steambot Chronicles: Battle Tournament

This is the last title for the PSP I will be doing for a while, because digging for obscure PSP games is not easy.... Gamers of the obscure, if you find any, I'm all ears; just understand these 3 games I presented from the PSP we're not push-overs to find.

Steambot Chronicles: Battle Tournament is one of those weird Japanese games where the entire thing involved mech's and the multiple uses of those mechs. Whether you entered combat tournaments or used them as a stage for your band. Another weird thing they did with this mech title is they refer to all the other mechs in the game as TrotMobiles... TrotMobiles.... BUT HEY, WHO CARES?! The fun parts about this title are the customization options. You can customize your mech 3 ways from Sunday, give it a chainsaw arm, use a tree as an ogre club, give it a flamethrower and cook your opponents to a nice Backyard BBQ. Mmmmmmmmm, BBQ. You can even customize your face and rear license plates with self made artworks and give everyone on the road THE FINGER! MWAH HA HA HA!!!!.... Awwwwww... .The only thing you can't do is set the town on fire for being so peaceful.

*AHEM* The thing that pads the game out are the requests. In order to progress through the title, you need to do subquests which earn you cash and fame which gives you a better chance to enter tournaments... And that's about it, your main story is to fight your way to the top. You can do AD-HOC with up to 4 friends and slug it out in mech matches, so that's kinda fun.... That's all I got to say about this title.... IT's OLDER OBSCURE Brother on the other hand....

Steambot Chronicles

Steambot Chronicles.... How do I describe it.... A Studio Ghibli film turned into an Elder Scrolls game... I am not joking.

To me, it's not even good at being what it claims you can do in the game's opening such as 'Be the Bad Guy if you want, Steambot Chronicales!; or 'Win the world over with music, Steambot Chronicles!' *insert my frustration with the title music here*. Unlike the game's younger brother on the PSP, this title, I guess, you could say is a Megaman Legends with 20 tons of weight attached to your legs and you run on gas. The controls you have are tank controls and you use the shoulder buttons to commence mech actions...

I am not a big fan of controls like this, though it's understandable, because like the PSP counterpart, there are a TON of customization options, Not as many as the ones in the PSP, but enough to keep your game entertaining. As far as the rest of the game goes, there are a ton of side quests and the main story of the game is subjective, there is a winning end; though it's an end you don't have top explore. You can take on the side quests as jobs, earn cash, fix up your mech, buy clothes, play music and earn money off that music, cook your own meals.... They give you the ability to do a lot of things as if the ma,in spirit of the game is suppose to be how we treat SKYRIM!!! SIDE QUESTING AS WE SLAUGHTER THE TOWN WITH OUR LEVEL 9,000 WARRIOR THIEF AS WE ROB THE TOWN OF IT'S CLOTHES AND SET FIRE TO THE BUILDINGS OF OPPRESSIVE RICH A$$H****.... Don't tell me you never did that on Skooma as a Kajhit.

NOW FOR THE BADDER STUFF, You can't unlock any more of the game's content until you pursue the story a little further, such as watching the starting town get raided by a gang who want's to build a rocket ship, but don't know JACK about rocket science or watch your love interest board a train top go get famous while leaving your amnesia butt in the dirt. It's just aggravating, especially when things are dragged out over a long period of time and even further when you can't destroy the town good-old-fashion style by getting a mech to do it or starting a gang to do it for kicks. Then after that, there's bringing your mech into town, You can't leave it in the middle of the road, your set on autopilot until you pick a space to park, get out and go do stuff, such as eat or you won't be able to run as a human on the world map and have to walk everywhere or have your mech reaction become sluggish... Yes, you have a hunger bar and need to eat to keep the game optimal operation...

All in all, this is actually a good title to track down; you can't do any fun stuff you could do with a mech like in Megas XLR. But the game is reminiscent of an anime where you decide what happens in the story and, like I said, the game is mostly side questing and doing whatever you want from cooking to playing your hormonica on the street or going to classy piano bar and play the piano in a pseudo guitar hero style vid game. It's not half bad... IT's just getting past the story elements to the oint where it's actually fun, and there are a few people I know out there who wouldn't want to deal with that.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:49 AM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by Quto.

Vectorman
        Sega Genisis, Android, iOS, PC, Linux... Nearly wherever you can find a Sega Classics Game on any platform, this title is in it.

OK folks, this is a game I want to draw attention too and pay my respects too; mostly because it recently hit the android shop for sega's classics. Vectorman was basically the DarkSoul's of the 90's where Megaman meets and Arcade Cabinet for a one-night stand and had this as their kid. It was a HARD game, so hard that there was a $25k contest for the first player to actually beat it! A contest that wasn't won until 3 Month's later and the ****** quality of how the contest was run!

Let's go over the games story a little; shall we? The game is set in a distant future where we trash the planet to where it's no longer breathable or suitable for life, so we do the next laziest thing; we build a bunch of 'orb' bots among other machines to clean up our mess for us while we live in space. A robot named warhead, named after a nuke was attached to a orb bot's head, begins to reprogram the other machines with intent to destroy us. Vectorman, a bot coming back from burning a load of garbage on the sun takes notice to to the other machines and goes off to scrap them and fight warhead.... Ok, from the game's story, we got an environmental message, along with a villain who sounds like he belongs on a heavy metal album and a robot who sounds like he should be a badass of a hero who works as a garbage man.... WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE?!

Game Mechanic wise, you start the game in the city. You have a double jump and a hand that can fire photon's or energy bullets. You can fire in multiple directions by pushing the D-pad in that direction, even under you in mid air and you can duck to dodge incoming attacks. Controls are pretty tight and you have a life bar, 4 hits and you start over, or rather, start from where you destroyed your last TV. That another thing, there are goodies and power-ups all over the levels held inside TV's. You break one, it releases the goody and doubles as your check point. The power ups vary from transforming Vectorman into a bomb, a drill, a car, a fish.... or... Nearly anything, the transformations are actually quite clever, and weapons such as a shotgun laser, bolo, grenade arch like shot, it's a short list, they're handy. Surviving in the game is hard, unless you know what to do or look for, there's a power-up to expand your life in each level and getting a high score or rather, hitting the the score needed to earn extra lives are the key's to surviving Vectorman. Beating it requires just real platforming skill.

Moving onto the contest and how it was handled; I've only been able to reach level 6 before dying(succumbing) to the games cruel difficulty, and playing with me trying. There are 10 more levels, more harder than the one I die on a lot, 16 levels of difficulty ramping up higher and higher that would even give Megaman a run for his money if the blue bomber went through these levels. So the game has earned it's infamy and difficulty with me as a gamer from the 90's, but after doing some digging on the title about the contest, I came across a fact that would have literally enraged any gamer participating the contest.

You see, when the contest was announced and the cartridges we're being flashed, or rather, having the ROM chip loaded up with the game code and what-not. They only programmed a handful of the contest cartridge's to have the screen unlock at the hardest difficulty, which could be adjusted from the game's option menu; which doesn't change much except the point cap you need to hit to get extra lives, easy being every 10k of points, you get an extra life and hard being set at 40k.... Meaning that in order to win the contest, you not only had to buy the game, the game had to have the line of code that gives you a special screen with the proper contest number. So not only did you need to beat the game, on the hardest difficulty, you had to be lucky enough to have a winning cartridge!!! Which I guess ticked a lot of people off back then for those who had the skill to beat the game in advance to discover there was no 'contest' screen after they beat it. The contest though, like I said, was won and beaten by a 12-year-old boy in 3 month's since the games release, who won the cash prize, got to tour Sega HQ and premier in a Sega TV commercial. After which they removed the contest label on most of the future produced cartridges and replaced them with the standard label.

Aside from the difficulty, the game's levels vary in creativity in how you explore them to find the exit or end and like I said before, the controls are pretty tight, not as tight as Megaman, but enough that the death's and mistakes are on the player's skill level and not the game's coding or in-game bugs and glitches. And the music to the game itself is beautiful in itself, the music of Vectorman defines the age of Sega Genesis.. In fact, the music released as it's own Music CD, produced by Sega and distributed in stores for purchase.... One of those CD'S which I do happen to own! It's high tech-ish, electronica-ish music if I had to describe it, (Not much of a man for music genre defenitions) but hearing the title to this game put's me in a mood to keep my mind up and my wit's sharp. In fact, every level of the game's music I've experienced so far has been a joy to listen too while having my butt handed to me by the games difficulty; so much so that I'm not even mad if I loose. Game restart's, I hear that title and I'm ready to play again.

Megaman players, I do recommend giving your copies of Megaman a break while preparing for the next Megaman game from Capcom. Give the Nes a rest, and give this game a shot, you won't be disapointed!

BEFORE I sign off of this personal favorite; I do have a parting gift.
        This is for the gamer's who either get the app, a Sega collection thing or pirate the title: I COULD CARE LESS!

Cheat Codes! More or less for the gamer who want's to play casually and not deal with the games difficulty.
        During Game Play: Push Pause then...
        A, B, Right, A, C, A, Down, A, B, Right, A - Restores Life
        C, A, Left, Left, A, C, A, B - Invincibility

Level Warp:
        There's the debug option of a level warp you can google, though I find this more fun. When you start the game and get to the Sega logo before the title, you can move Vectorman around. Have him get under and shoot the Sega 24 times and hit Vectorman's head on it 12 times. Sega will start dropping letters. IF you grab enough letters, you can warp to a further level in the game.

Blow-Up The Screen:
        This is just an Easter egg, at the same screen before the title where you can move vectorman around, there's a hidden TV along the top, Shoot it to get the power-up that kills all baddies on screen and use it. You will have broken the Sega Logo and the screen.

Old 1 Week Ago (1:02 PM).

SEQUENCE
          BEforE ThE Echo

PC

I want to introduce folks to another game not very well known, called Seq-... Wait. Since when was it this?.... Oh...... I mean, Before The Echo!

Before the Echo is a game that mixes RPG elements into a DDR format.... To a lot of you, that doesn't sound like the type of RPG to get into... and you would be normally right, though this game has caught my attention before it was called what it is now, which I'll get into why later on.

In the game, your play as yourself who was captured and forced into a tower of monster's which you have no idea how you got there or why you are there other than you are here. You then get guided by a beautiful young girl who instructs you on how to survive the tower, gives you your first set of spells and teaches you the bare basics. From there, you have to escape the tower by reaching the top floor.. As you travel through the tower, you start breaking the 4th wall in terms of the games logic.... As in, the character notices he doesn't need to eat or sleep, he doesn't feel tired and has gone on a long time without being thirsty and start smaking other observations that shouldn't be real.

What happens next, I leave to you, but I'll go over how the fights go. First off, you get to pick your battles, so there's no other reason to blame anyone but yourself of what you get into. The battle starts and your given 3 DDR boxes. One is a Shield, Another is a sword and the last is a (+) sign. In the shield, DDR arrows fall representing damage you will be taking, unless you start hitting the arrow keys to start catching and stopping the attacks coming in. When there's a break, you can cast an attacking spell, which you swap your focus to the sword box and start dancing to the arrows in that for the combo. If you finish the combo fully, you cast the spell and deal the damage. If your running low on mana to cast the spells, you swap over to the (+) and hit the arrows to regain the mana... And you have to do ALL of this under a certain time limit, because like the real DDR, You have until the end of the song to finish off your opponents.

Alright, some of the huge pro's! The game's story is pretty deep and the characters are well fleshed out as you go through the tower with enough difficulty ramping up to make the game interesting. The music is superb, so much so, that they have the OST available on steam and it is a must have for music lovers... in a sense, if you feel like you'd better off just enjoying the games music as it is in the game, go for it.

There are some con's now. In order to get items to help you out, you got to forge them; meaning you need to beat monster's in these musical dance off's and get them to drop stuff. When you reach a safe room, you have to alchemize them together, but in order to do that, you have to pay EXP points.... I'm not joking. At level 5 from floor 1, you may need to pay 400 exp, which not only knocks you back to lvl 4, but has a chance of failing! IF you fail, you don't get the experience back! Though to be fair, the items don't get destroyed, so you'd have to go back and fight a creature to gain back the EXP to try again to forge the lousy key to get past the floor boss and onto the next floor. The same roughly goes when you want to learn new spells; If you have a scroll to learn a new spell and pay the experience points for it, you go into a DDR screen with only 1 DDR block to focus on, you then have to hit enough of the arrows correctly to learn the spell to add it in your arsenal for battles... which seems to make some sense, though the more powerful the spell, the more difficult the challenge is to learn it and more difficult it is to attain... I was level 11 when I tried top learn the best spell in the game and I got knocked back to level 3!!!! BEFORE I COULD LEARN IT! It was TERRIBLE!...

All in All, it's still a fun game if you enjoy DDR, RPG's and good music, this is the kind of game you'd see Gunkey enjoy since it requires fast and constant attention.

..Also, my notes above earlier; This game USE to be called Sequence before a certain company 'Jax LTD.' came along and forced a take-down and shut-down if they did not change the game's name. Which Sequence was then called 'Before the Echo.' Which I don't see the reason why if Sequence is also named after a lousy card game also called sequence.... Eh, who knows, maybe people out there still play it.

Old 3 Days Ago (8:47 PM).

Rugrats Adventure Game
            PC

Alright folks of the obscure, I want to take you to a familiar and unfamiliar territory. LICENSED VIDEO GAMES! *I feel the forum board groaning at me in disgust before they leave.* Ok, COME ON! I know about 95% of the games licensed by whoever or whatever we're terrible cash grabs done just so we would scream at the top of our lungs as young brats at our parents and then we would kick and cry when we didn't get what we wanted.

There is the 5% though, the RARE 5%, that there are licensed games out there that have had effort put into them to actually make them playable. The Treasure Planet Battle at Procyon I posted earlier promotes there are good titles in the sea of bad licensed products which does count them towards as obscure games. Games that are not seen because people look at the license as a whole rather than look at the details in the property.... Or in layman's terms, Watching a boring episode of bob's burgers until your told there's a topless, insert your preferred gender or being your attracted to here, and you watch that episode again to find it, you then find it and it becomes your favorite episode.... My next few post's will be on games from different licenses that have HAD that extra effort put into them to actually fulfill the idea's of our childhood and this title was one of them.

Rugrat's Adventure game is a point and click title that does as it sounds, it's an adventure to rescue Reptar; the babies favorite godzilla-knock-off toy. The toy gets thrown out by mistake and the babies attempt to get it back. Pretty simple, right?... Well, You need a method to get to the doll, a method to scare off any garbage men about to get the trash cans and I guess a method to get outside.... And the game does not make it easy at first glance. If you watched the show growing up, there are a few shakes of a hint here or there and tributes to the source material about the humor and items needed to solve certain puzzles, though you need to also think a little more like the babies themselves a little on how they can construct and put 2 and 2 together.... It's a hard method to explain, but it would be like seeing the answer, but the character's don't see the answer until you bring them to the spot and they get the idea and can move onto the next step to solving the problem... If you can track the game down and give it a whirl, you'll see what I mean.

It's fun to play as Tommy and explore the pickles house as a kid that age with the world so big and wide before him.

Before I sign off on this entry, I want to make note of Broderbund.... Mostly because they helped shape another part of the culture in video games; the developed a bunch of strategy games for the commodore64 and we're responsible for everyone's favorite thief who dresses in red, "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" WHICH will not be getting it's own post because nearly everyone on the internet knows who she is or do a quick search for her in google, It's thanks to Broderbund we even have her to begin with!... I mean, the series taught geometry about 99% of the time as an education game, but even then this IP still lives and breathes.... Broderbund no longer makes games anymore as they we're bought out by the learning company and in turn bought out by.... a lot of companies in general to a point where all of their IP's and nearly owned by Ubisoft.... Heh, Carmen Sandiego in an Assassin's Creed Game.... Would actually be incredibly interesting!

... WHELP, I'm off to dig through the internet, topside and Deep web side for more of the licensed titles that were worth the dollar paid for... or at least fun for what you paid for.

Quick Reply