• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your first shiny Pokemon?

Years
So, as we all know, shiny Pokemon are extremely rare. They have a 1/8192 encounter chance in the Gen II-V games and a 1/4096 chance in Gen VI and VII. Finding a shiny Pokemon is an exhilarating experience that a fairly small amount of people have been able to experience over the years.

So everyone, what was your very first shiny? Feel free to share the story!
My first shiny was your favorite little Axolotl, Wooper.
Spr_5b_194_m_s.png

So the story of how I found the little guy dates back to July of 2009. I was walking through Pastoria Marsh on my Platinum cartridge trying to catch a Carnivine and, well, let's just say I found a pink Wooper. At that point I knew what a shiny was, thankfully, and I also thankfully caught it with the first Safari Ball I threw.
I nicknamed him Albi and actually transferred him to my first HeartGold copy and evolved him into a Quagsire.

Sadly last year, this HeartGold copy finally wore out and stopped working. I've attempted to get it repaired but those attempts were null and void. I'm still trying to fix the cartridge though!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
My first shiny Pokemon was a shiny red Gyarados from Gold Version I saw in the Lake of Rage. I kept the shiny red Gyarados on my team and it has played a major role for me. My shiny red Gyarados easily defeated Jasmine's Steelix, defeated Clair's dragon Pokemon, and it also defeated all of Lance's dragon Pokemon in the Elite Four.

Last edited:
Years
The first shiny that I remember encountering was Teddiursa back in Pokemon Gold, though I only had overleveled Pokemon with me at the time, and I OHKO'd it with my weakest attack. The first one that I actually caught was Shroomish in Sapphire, though I don't even remember finding it, and just saw it sitting in my PC years later when I was planning to start a new save.

Oh, and since this about the games and not the franchise as a whole, I'm going to move this to Pokemon Gaming Central for you.

MOVED.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I remember finding a shiny Metapod in Viridian Forest. I think that was the first time I saw a shiny. However, it only knew harden and I felt too lazy to level it up, so it stayed boxed.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Not including the Gyarados in Crystal which I caught in 2001. My first wild random encounter which was also full odds happened in Y in 2016.

It was a Pawniard. After completing the game I decided to start working on a living dex. I didn't play much Pokemon so I wasn't too familiar with breeding as well as gen 4 and 5 Pokemon and their shinies. While completing my Pokedex I owned a lot of Pokemon for the first time.

I went into Lost Hotel in order to catch a Magneton so I could breed for a Magnemite. I did not own Oras at this time. I wanted to catch a second Magneton and did like 9 re's and couldn't find one. I ran outside and immediately changed my mind. I was familiar with shinies because I had watched Renae and BButtonbits on Twitch for a few months before. I ran back in and wasn't looking and had the game muted. I noticed the blue Pawniard immediately when I looked back. I knew it was shiny because I ran into a few red ones just before. Had it been the first encounter and I missed the sparkle I probably would have ran.

Last edited:

Guest123123

Not including the red Gyarados, mine was a shiny Tentacruel in Diamond. (and I later found a shiny Tentacool in Platinum . o .)

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
My first Shiny was a Shiny Golett in X. It was the first Golett I saw in Gen 6. Luckily I knew what a regular Golett looked like so knew that the dark blue with green eyes Golett was Shiny. He is now a Level 100 Golurk that can fly.

Years
Not counting Red Gyarados, I think it was Zubat in Fire Red. I kept it and evolved it to Crobat, but it stayed in that game, as I couldn't trade at the time.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
A shiny Wingull in the postgame of Black, who I later evolved into a Pelipper. I named her Lime. :3 I had to get in the car and go somewhere immediately after catching her, and I just couldn't stop grinning the whole time!

...You know what's weird, though? Just recently, I randomly encountered and caught another shiny Pelipper in Ultra Moon. o.O This one was also female. And Ultra Moon's storyline deals with the concept of diverging timelines and alternate universes...HMMM. (I gave this one the same name. I like to call the two Pelipper "original Lime" and "Mega-timeline Lime".)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
The first one I caught was a shiny Kecleon in Sapphire.

However I have vague memories of encountering a strange Rhyhorn in Pokemon Gold, I never caught it because I had no clue what a shiny was at the time. (and looking at bulbapedia, its shiny is pretty similar to its regular form so that didn't help)

Last edited:

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I'm pretty sure my first shiny was a palette glitch, but I loved it nonetheless - instead of a gold rattata, it was a silver one in Crystal. Since I didn't care much for the raticate sprite in GSC (still don't much even in the new games, to be honest), I kept that little mouse at base evolution for the entire save file. What's funny is that I caught it right outside of the pokemon daycare, so it was still super early in the game.

I also hung out in the Game Corner until I could get Ice Beam for tiny mouse. It pwn'd both Claire and Lance. :D

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
My first Shiny Pokémon encounter and capture was in SoulSilver. I was just running around near a mountain (forgot it's name) and encountered a Rapidash with silver flames. I had never even heard of a shiny Pokémon before that. I just assumed I had set off something in the game and thought one of the professors would react if I brought it to them. When this didn't happen I looked it up. Probably one of the best looking shinies to be a first shiny. I lost my SoulSilver cartridge however so I'll probably never see it again. Unless I catch another. I find the 3D models to be horribly ugly though so I'll probably hunt it in Platinum.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Full 1/8192 odds.

Alright, so here's how it happened. I was blundering around Stark Mountain in Pearl, doing the usual doo-dahs, and I was exploring the area a bit after Buck abandoned me, after getting the Magma Stone. I decided to explore the areas I couldn't with Buck - namely the climbable walls. I believe I was doing one such wall, and there was yet another wild encounter...I couldn't believe it - I had found a shiny Camerupt! I was so excited because I knew about shinies at the time, and in time I ensnared it in an Ultra Ball. It's still on my save file.

camerupt-f.png

Last edited:
Reactions: noa
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 16, 2022
Mine was a Geodude in Crystal before I got to Gyarados, so I don't really remember it that much. I just remember it "shining" at me and I caught it

Lord Flamingo

Hmm, pretzels.
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 13, 2018
I found my first shiny Pokémon in May, 2016. It was a shiny Spinarak, whom I named "SHINY!" Somewhat lame name, I know, but I was really surprised.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Audino! I was just casually walking my way to Accumula Town in White, then it happened. I was so shocked.

Years
It was a beautiful day a long time ago, I was playing Pokémon Silver, training some Pokémon near Mt. Silver when I came across a shining Tangela. I remembered how they had a tendency to run, and my team was a bit on the strong side, so I threw many a ball, hoping it wouldn't dash off yonder. After some time, I was successful in catching it. It made the day quite a fantastic one.

Back