• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Started today, using FireRed, because I got stuck, problem encountered, have no working GSC versions. help please alakazam.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2011
Christmas update?
Stepha was put into the box for sucking.
I did nugget bridge and fought all those trainers on the way to bill.
I beat Misty's gym (Forgot to record, sorry.)
Team:

Archie:
Ivysaur
Level 22
Tackle
Poison Powder
Leech Seed
Vine Whip

Clarence:
Nidorino
Level 20
Growl
Bubblebeam
Horn Attack
Poison Sting

Cleopatra:
Nidorina
Level 20
Growl
Water Gun
Scratch
Poison Sting

ALSO!!
Who should I use the moon stone on, Cleopatra or Clarence?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Christmas update?
Stepha was put into the box for sucking.
I did nugget bridge and fought all those trainers on the way to bill.
I beat Misty's gym (Forgot to record, sorry.)
Team:

Archie:
Ivysaur
Level 22
Tackle
Poison Powder
Leech Seed
Vine Whip

Clarence:
Nidorino
Level 20
Growl
Bubblebeam
Horn Attack
Poison Sting

Cleopatra:
Nidorina
Level 20
Growl
Water Gun
Scratch
Poison Sting

ALSO!!
Who should I use the moon stone on, Cleopatra or Clarence?

You'll get more Moon Stones later on. I think there's two in Mt Moon though?

Evolve Nidorina before LV 23, because Nidoqueen gets the neat move Body Slam on LV 23 :) One of my fav moves.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2011
Well, I lost my data for some retarded reason, so I guess I'll restart on bug.

Bug Challenge!!!!
I got a caterpie, and named him "Butters".
He evolved twice, then became the king of original names.
He soloed the rival.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jx4Jc8QFTA

Team:

Butters the Butterfree
Level 12
Moves:
- Tackle -
- String Shot -
- Confusion -

Super fast update!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYe9U1jyCxY
Brock gets crushed by confusion.

Team:

Butters the Butterfree
Level 14
Moves:
- Tackle -
- String Shot -
- Confusion -

2nd Rival Fight!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eygcJyG54A8
I caught a Paras, then took him through Mt. Moon with Butters.
I took on Gary.

Team:

Butters the Butterfree
Level 20
Moves:
- Tackle -
- Stun Spore -
- Confusion -
- Poison Powder -

Willow the Paras
Level 16
Moves:
- Scratch -
- Stun Spore -

Misty!!!
She was easy, and I managed to use only Willow!

Team:

Butters the Butterfree
Level 22
Moves:
- Tackle -
- Stun Spore -
- Confusion -
- Poison Powder -

Willow the Paras
Level 22
Moves:
- Scratch -
- Stun Spore -
- Leech Life -

Last edited:

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Well, I lost my data for some retarded reason, so I guess I'll restart on bug.

Aw, that sucks. At least you didn't lose your data right before you were going to face your rival in the Champion battle. Good luck on your bug run, though!

Just a fun thing before my Elite Four battles. I tried to go back the way I came, and a textbox appeared saying: "Someone's Voice: Don't run away!" I never knew that happened.

---
Fire
Monotype Challenge: Part Sixteen - Ice and Rock

Trainer Name: Seb
Badges: 8
Generation: I (on Blue)

Battle Against Lorelei:

• Trixie's Flamethrower is a 2HKO on Dewgong. He only used Take Down, which didn't do much.
  • I got a lucky Critical on Cloyster.
  • Forgot Lorelei had a Slowbro and switched it to Felix to get a Toxic in. Tried a Double-Edge, which didn't do much, and Slowbro used Withdraw. Tried another Double-Edge which was a Critical Hit.
  • Switched back to Trixie for Jynx. Easy fight. But oh my that's a scary sprite.
  • Stayed in for the Lapras for whatever reason. Flamethrower was a Critical Hit which brought Lapras down to the yellow range. It used Hydro Pump which brought Trixie down to 48 HP. Finished it off with another Critical Flamethrower. Overkill ftw.

Battle Against Bruno:

• Kept Trixie in for Dig. I want to save Ringo's Earthquake for Agatha. Onix's Rock Throw didn't do too much damage. Two Digs was enough.
  • Sent in Felix against Hitmonchan. Only took one Flamethrower.
  • Same with Hitmonlee. But oh my that's an amazing sprite.
  • Back to Trixie for Onix. She leveled up.
  • Back to Felix for Machamp. Flamethrower brought it in the red while it used Focus Energy and... wait. Bruno didn't heal? I was expecting a Hyper Potion. Do Elite Four members not heal in the 1st Gen? What gives?

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2011
Thanks! And nice work on your fire run so far!
And...Update!

Rival Battle 3! I suck at stuff, so no video for this.
Willow Evolved!
I won't be posting the team, since nothing changed, and it will probably be the same against surge.

I FORGOT TO RECORD SURGE!

But here's a lame team update:

Butters:
Level 29
Same Moves

Willow:
Evolved.
Level 29
Same moves with dig.

Update?!?
I beat my Rival, forgetting to record again, so that sucks.

Last edited:

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Ultimate Monotype Challenge Water:
Book 1, Chapter 1: Calvin and Hobbes
(All blogs will be written as though I am in the game)

I, Calvin, decided, that I should stop playing on my NES and go on a walk, I forgot Pallet Town was so constricted, so I decided some tall grass was a good change of pace, pardon the pun. But, Prof. Oak, would have non of it, he is the local town busy body. He dragged me back to his lab and gave me a pokemon against my will. I decided to go with Squirtle because he is the only water type I can choose from. Named said Squirtle Dennis. Its a nice name, and he is a boy Squirtle. I tried to leave the lab as peacefully as possible, but no my "rival" (Hobbes) had to be a show off and battle me in front of all Mr. Oak's assistants, I had to put on a good show, I mean, I couldn't just let him beat me, look I didn't want to pummel him, but I didn't want to look like a wimp. Ugh, if you were in my position you would have done the same thing.

So with my newly acquired Squirtle, I set off for greener pastures of Viridian City. Along the way I pumelled various Ratatta's and Pidgeys so as to assist in the growth of Dennis, and some citizen was so kind as to offer me a free potion, I guess the Christmas spirit is in the software. I gladly accepted his offering and was on my way.

I arrived in Viridian and boy was I ready for my first gym challenge. It was to my dismay to find out that the gym is locked and the leader has mysteriously vanished. I was bummed out. Oh! I forgot to mention that this old hag who was working in the PokeMart made me walk ALL THE WAY BACK TO PALLET town to be her delivery boy. So I, grudgingly, took the package to Prof. Oak, which happened to be nothing more than a mysterious "advanced" pokeball, probably just had the red on top, but whatevs. So then I worked my way back up to Viridian City, AGAIN, beating the life out of everything that crossed paths with me, work my way over to route 22 and trained for a bit. I proceeded to venture further into the route when lo and behold my "rival" appears. He does his general I'm better than you, I'll prove it too, routine, I sense a pattern, and we fight, my little Dennis kicked so much butt. After trashing my rival with various combinations of Bubble and Tackle, I went up to see the Viridian forest, but some old man stopped me and showed me how to use a pokeball, like its that hard.

…rest after I destroy and pummel Brock into powder.

My Current Team:

rbspr007.png

Dennis (Squirtle)
Lv 12
Tackle
Tail Whip
Bubble
Withdraw

(real powerhouse huh?)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2011
I beat Erika, and I'm uploading the video now. It has my team's moves and stats in there.

Now it's decision time: Should I add a Pinsir, Scyther, Venomoth, or a combination of the three to my team?

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
P.S. how do you get those images of your pokemon in the post? What witchcraft is this?

It takes years and years of practice. You'll never acquire such skills. Just go to pokemonelite2000.com and they had a list of all the sprites you need. Then, when making the post, click the little icon on the top that has a picture of a mountain (it says "Insert Image" when your cursor hovers over it).

Corrision said:
Now it's decision time: Should I add a Pinsir, Scyther, Venomoth, or a combination of the three to my team?

I'm quite fond of Scyther. I believe it can also utilise the broken Critical Hits that Slash can do in the first generation, which is useful. I wouldn't add all three or make a large team in general, because I found that if you have less members, you can focus on leveling up what you have. Unless you don't mind grinding for hours and hours.

Oh wait. Pinsir has Slash as well. But Scyther learns it earlier. They can also both learn Swords Dance if you're into that. But aren't they version exclusive? Make sure they're actually on your version before you try to get them. :P

And I've never had a Venomoth, so I'm not sure about them.

---
Fire Monotype Challenge: Part Seventeen - Ghosts and Dragons

Trainer Name: Seb
Badges: 8
Generation: I (on Blue)

Battle Against Agatha
:

• Led off with Ringo. Surprisingly, I only needed one Earthquake for the first Gengar.
  • Golbat went down to two Flamethrowers.
  • No comment needed for Haunter.
  • Or Arbok.
  • Faster than Agatha's last Gengar. Still 1HKO.
  • Well, that was boring. Thank goodness for the lack of Levitate.
Battle Against Lance:

• Awesome music and awesome walk down the hallway.
  • Led with Felix. I thought that Body Slam would be enough, but that barely got Gyarados in the yellow. He countered with Hydro Pump. I tried a Double Edge and that still didn't KO. He was left with 1HP. His Hydro Pump didn't miss (what happened to its bad accuracy?) and I switched to Ringo. Amazingly, Lance didn't use a potion.
  • Sent out Trixie and revived Felix. Flamethrower did a little over half on Dragonair and another one left it with 1HP, again! It kept wasting turns by using Agility over and over, so I finished it off three Flamethrowers later.
  • Sent out Ringo against another Dragonair. Two broken Critical'd Slashes ftw.
  • Sent out Trixie to try and put a little damage on Aerodactyl. And what the hell, I'm faster than it? And what the hell, Flamethrower does a little under half? It used Hyper Beam and brought me down to 76 HP. Aerodactyl down!
  • Sent Ringo out. Used Slash, which barely did a third. It used Barrier, so I thought I was being smart by switching to Flamethrower. It used Hyper Beam and I used the turn to heal. It wasted Agility a few times and I used Slash after it Barrier'd again. (I looked it up afterwards. Turns out that Critical Hits ignore Barrier... d'oh.) Dragonite finally down.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2011
I went with Pinsir, I think it's version exclusive (Not to mention Superior stats).
I could've gone without either, seeing as how parasect also learns slash, but it's nice to have some fighting moves. Now to train him up...

Years
Is there a limit to the number of Pokes you can have on your team for this challenge?

I want to do a Dark-challenge once I finish with my playthrough.

Absol
Umbreon
Houndoom (If he counts?, I know he's part Fire)

Any other great ones? :)

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2011
Is there a limit to the number of Pokes you can have on your team for this challenge?

I want to do a Dark-challenge once I finish with my playthrough.

Absol
Umbreon
Houndoom (If he counts?, I know he's part Fire)

Any other great ones? :)
If you read the rules, it said you can't do dark, because it wasn't in the first generation. Same with steel.

Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2010
Hey Alakazam I have been thinking for ages that could i chage my type to gras in generation 1 plz?

On second thougts(or third?) i would like to poison please!!!!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2013
I haven't done much these couple of days. I've gotten to Ecruteak City with my mono Electric and so far, things have been easy. Flaaffy plows through everything with Fire and Thunderpunch and just now, about three new Pokemon are available for me now so it's hard to choose. :/

I now got:

"Bzzzzt", Magnemite lvl 18
~Thundershock
~Flash
~Supersonic
~Sonicboom

"Hump", Eevee lvl 20 (I won't use this one because I can't get a Thunderstone until way later in the game and I can get only one but both he and Pikachu will be severly underleveled so nevermind)

"Sheepy", Flaaffy lvl 27
~Thunderpunch
~Fire Punch
~Swift
~Thunder Wave

"Zapfish", Chinchou lvl 20
~Thunder Wave
~Supersonic
~Flail
~Water Gun

"Volty", Voltorb lvl 20
~Tackle
~Screech
~Sonicboom

I think I'll probably only use Lanturn and Ampharos and maybe Electabuzz later in the game if it's a decent level. The rest, I've used already and are rather low level/boring atm.

I'm about to get Surf so Chinchou will be beast and the Ground and Rocks will be dead in no time. <3

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
How far along are you? Once you get the red scale, underleveled won't be a problem - When I went through Crystal on the water challenge, I had the Extremespeed Dratini hold the Exp.Share to the end... too bad I lost my data for that challenge.

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
I'd advise against using Magnemite, the best move it learns is Thundershock, or Thunder by TM. Voltorb also kinda sucks. You get Pikachu after you get 4/5 badges in Kanto, and at level 2-6, so don't use it either. Use a team of Electabuzz, Ampharos and Lanturn.

Years
Outside of Crystal, Electabuzz is obtained extremely late, I don't think it's worth it to train it up from level ~15 with Lanturn and Ampharos already being already in their 50s.

Ampharos and Lanturn should be enough to beat this generation in my opinion, at least for me they worked very well.

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
Oh, I didn't know he's not using Crystal, this proves it:
Thomaz said:
I think I'll probably only use Lanturn and Ampharos and maybe Electabuzz later in the game if it's a decent level. The rest, I've used already and are rather low level/boring atm.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Age 32
  • NSFW
  • Seen Jun 18, 2019
Ultimate Monotype Challenge Water:
Book 1, Chapter 2: A Rock Hard Battle and Space Mountain

When we last met, I was preparing to enter the Viridian Forest, well I did. Long story short, I also exited. But why be sparse on details? It never was my style. So, basically, the Viridian Forest is super easy, I whomped and thwacked everything that came my way, the place was littered with bug pokemon and bug pokemon trainers, ugh, they grow so old, so fast. But I made it through with Dennis, who leveled several time via thwacking and whomping.

I arrived at Pewter City and find it is even more boring than the previous two towns I had visited, and that's saying something. There is literally nothing to do other than shop at a PokeMart, heal my pokemon and fight Brock, the local town gym leader. So I decided to do the latter. Brock was a cinch, and Dennis evolved into a Wartortle.. All I had to do was use water gun and I one hit every one of his pokemon. I got the boulder badge and TM 39, Rock Tomb, I'll just leave that to collect dust. So anyway, I won, and then I went and healed my pokemon and bought some potions and antidotes, just in case.

I was on my way to Route 3 and I was stopped by Prof. Oaks aide, who gave me some running shoes. Now I move as fast as LIGHTNING!!! Well, faster than walking. I sprinted through the battles with ease, not even getting poisoned or needing to use a potion…which made me angry because I wasted money, but I digress. I went to the PokeCenter outside of Mt. Moon, healed up and purchased a Magikarp, which I forgot to nickname, but will name it Thelma. (Now I know some of you think this was a waste of money and a poor decision, in all likelihood, probably, but I thought hmm, if I buy this now and not use the old rod, I could have a Gyarados by Vermillion City.)

So via switching Magikarp in and out of battle, it grew slowly. Nothing exciting really happens in Mt. Moon, other than my first encounter with Team Rocket, but they are so easy, I didn't count them. I got out of Mt. Moon on the other end and headed to Cerulean City.

…Next chapter after I show Misty who the real water master is. (hint, its me)

My Team:

rbspr008.png

Dennis (Wartortle)
Lv. 21
Bite
Mega Punch
Bubble
Water Gun

rbspr129.png

Magikarp
Lv. 13
Splash