Check out my YouTube below!

Age 28
Male
North Carolina
Seen September 4th, 2019
Posted July 2nd, 2019
60 posts
2 Years
Hi there! My name is Junkyard Guard and I am finally re-releasing my tool to edit the cards in the Pokémon Trading Card Game for the Gameboy color! Please note that this is for the FIRST Pokémon Trading Card Game. Not the second one with Team GR that was never released in the US.

I hit a small snag the first time I released it and I pulled it from this forum, but I have fixed everything and it is all ready to go!

So basically, what this program does is edit the cards in the Gameboy color rom of Pokémon Trading Card Game! You can edit the Level, HP, both attacks, the retreat cost, weakness, resistance and even the rarity of the card! This is my first ever ROM-hacking tool but honestly, I think it came along pretty well. It's very user-friendly and does everything it's supposed to.

Below are some screenshots of an edit I made to Bulbasaur. Keep in mind that this particular Bulbasaur card normally only has one move.
Spoiler:

Please take a look at my program and if you like it, give me a thanks and some nice words! If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Change log:
Spoiler:

v1.1 - Fixed an issue with Mr Mime and Wigglytuff.
v1.2 - Added copy and paste buttons for attacks.
v1.3 - Fixed an issue with Jigglypuff and Water Pokemon saving. Added copy all and paste all buttons, which is useful for creating a game where everybody has Dive Bomb.
V1.4 - Fixed a bug that prevented saving Pokemon that had moves where the cost was over 10 of the same energy. Also changed up the readme to explain all the copy and paste buttons.
If you like League of Legends, check out my channel! I make videos where I play with my friends and have a great time! Click Here!

Junkyard Guard

Age 28
Male
North Carolina
Seen September 4th, 2019
Posted July 2nd, 2019
60 posts
2 Years
That's pretty awesome! 1 thanks from me for sure.
Out of curiosity, is it possible to add new effects (like adding Buzzap Electrode or Ditto with PokePower Transform)?
It is NOT possible (with my program) to add new effects and honestly, I'm not sure how I would add this. I may be able to figure it out with a bit more research, but that would require a lot of time, so don't keep your fingers crossed.

And is it compatible with TCG 2?
It is NOT compatible with TCG 2. I'm not sure if I'll add this either. This game in general does not have a large fan-base, and the second one is even less popular. I don't know though, the coding is already there. I would just have to do a bit of research on TCG 2, so we'll see!
If you like League of Legends, check out my channel! I make videos where I play with my friends and have a great time! Click Here!

Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 6 Days Ago
50 posts
244 Days
I've been messing around with it for a little bit now, and it works great. Does exactly what it says with ease.
It's neat to see some of the things the game handles stuff. Mostly that #1, setting a card with no energy cost works fine, and #2, you can transfer abilities without problems, as long as they are in the first slot. (also setting a ability with none/+/X makes them disappear in battle, same with setting a move as a ability)

I do have a couple things to point out/suggest. First of all it does throw an error trying to set 10 or more of the same energy (setting 9 of each energy works though. 63 energy cards to attack from a deck of 60 seems reasonable :p). Second, I wanted to point out that the txt file doesn't tell you what the C/A and P/A buttons do, and your screen shots doesn't have them. It took me a bit but I did figure out that they where copy all and paste all. Next, there are a few cards in existence that have 5 retreat cost, so if anyone wants to add newer cards or something of the like, having 5 total as an option would be nice. And actually letting you do 9 or more would be a way to have a card that purposely not meant to retreat would be interesting too (I don't know how much would be too much to show on screen though, 5 might be enough). Finally, is it possible to edit Mystery Fossil/Poke Doll this way with this program, as well as changing the Pokemon base type?

And I would love to see this made for tcg2, with the extra sprite color options, more moves pre-programed in, etc. I don't know if will help, but Romhacking (their wiki more specifically) has notes and such for tcg2 that is already documented which could help.

Junkyard Guard

Age 28
Male
North Carolina
Seen September 4th, 2019
Posted July 2nd, 2019
60 posts
2 Years
I've been messing around with it for a little bit now, and it works great. Does exactly what it says with ease.
It's neat to see some of the things the game handles stuff. Mostly that #1, setting a card with no energy cost works fine, and #2, you can transfer abilities without problems, as long as they are in the first slot. (also setting a ability with none/+/X makes them disappear in battle, same with setting a move as a ability)

I do have a couple things to point out/suggest. First of all it does throw an error trying to set 10 or more of the same energy (setting 9 of each energy works though. 63 energy cards to attack from a deck of 60 seems reasonable :p). Second, I wanted to point out that the txt file doesn't tell you what the C/A and P/A buttons do, and your screen shots doesn't have them. It took me a bit but I did figure out that they where copy all and paste all. Next, there are a few cards in existence that have 5 retreat cost, so if anyone wants to add newer cards or something of the like, having 5 total as an option would be nice. And actually letting you do 9 or more would be a way to have a card that purposely not meant to retreat would be interesting too (I don't know how much would be too much to show on screen though, 5 might be enough). Finally, is it possible to edit Mystery Fossil/Poke Doll this way with this program, as well as changing the Pokemon base type?

And I would love to see this made for tcg2, with the extra sprite color options, more moves pre-programed in, etc. I don't know if will help, but Romhacking (their wiki more specifically) has notes and such for tcg2 that is already documented which could help.
First off, I want to say thank you so much for downloading and finding these errors! I'll have you know that I fixed the energy error. You can now put up to 15 of the same energy on one move with no problems from my program! I'm really not sure how the game will handle that, but oh well! The problem was that it wasn't correctly converting the numbers to and from hex so it was throwing an error when it tried to put a 3 digit number in a 2 digit byte.
Also, I've changed the retreat cost up. You can now have a retreat cost of up to 6! I have also updated the readme file to fully explain all of the copy and paste buttons! Sorry for the confusion!

As far as the Mysterious Fossil and PokeDoll, I'm not sure. I honestly forgot all about them when I was making this program. I could "possibly" add them into the program for editing, but I'm not sure how the game codes them. Just a little bit of research would need to be done.

For adding compatibility with TCG2, I would need to do A LOT of research and probably rewrite a lot of code. I'm not saying I won't do it, because I might some day when I'm less busy, but it would definitely take a lot of time.

Once again, thank you for your time and interest in my project! Please feel free to report any more errors you might possibly find!

EDIT: I just remembered that I accidentally forgot to add the error checks back into the program. Now if it encounters an error, it will crash, rather than saying "An error has occurred!" I think it's only for Grass Pokemon though. Not a big deal, just something to note. I'll upload an updated version with these error checks back into place later.

Junkyard Guard

Age 28
Male
North Carolina
Seen September 4th, 2019
Posted July 2nd, 2019
60 posts
2 Years
I would love to see someone make a hack of Pokemon TCG. Could this somehow be used to make the game harder?
Sure! I don't see why not... You can literally change every card in the game that's a Pokemon, so I'm sure there could be plenty that you could do to cards to change the difficulty.

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...

Age 17
Female
My own little world.
Seen May 13th, 2019
Posted May 13th, 2019
228 posts
3.3 Years
This is really awesome, I love it! But do you think you could include a text editor as well? It's kind of limiting to only be able to pick from existing move names and you can't really add any new mons without changing the names of any of the existing ones. Those things aside, I think this is amazing and I really appreciate you taking the time and effort into making something like this for such an underrated game. Speaking of which, wasn't there a disassembly of it being worked on at some point? You might want to go check it out in case you haven't.

Junkyard Guard

Age 28
Male
North Carolina
Seen September 4th, 2019
Posted July 2nd, 2019
60 posts
2 Years
This is really awesome, I love it! But do you think you could include a text editor as well? It's kind of limiting to only be able to pick from existing move names and you can't really add any new mons without changing the names of any of the existing ones. Those things aside, I think this is amazing and I really appreciate you taking the time and effort into making something like this for such an underrated game. Speaking of which, wasn't there a disassembly of it being worked on at some point? You might want to go check it out in case you haven't.
I'm honestly not sure! I haven't seen much on Pokemon TCG rom hacking, which is why I had to do everything myself.
Editing text would be quite an easy addition, but honestly, you can edit text in a hex editor with no problems. Just open the rom up in any hex editor and you can search for whatever text you want to edit!

Advertiser Content