• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Equivalent Exchange! Fullmetal Alchemist Club

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years

Not really a topic-topic, but I wanted to ask...has anyone watched the FMA movie The Secret Star of Milos? How is it?

I thought is was SACRED Star of Milos?

It was..... eeeeh. didn't really contribute much to the series, it was just kinda.... there.

Years
Username: ACupOfTea
Favorite character(s): I love all of them to death. I do really like Roy and Riza though.
Answer a topic: I got into FMA after beginning to watch Anime. At the time I only watched the Anime I could find on Netflix, so I found the original series there. I thought the first few episodes were kind of weird, but I was pretty interested in the show, and the rest is history. :3

Ohmigosh welcome! Sorry for the delay in adding you. n~n;

And I don't think I've seen Milos, at least not from what I remember. My memory of the FMA movies are very very hazy so even if I watched anything chances are 99% of what was in the movie I totally forgot, haha.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
Hello, fellow alchemists! I am here to join the club!
Username: isthatyoudan (Call me Dan if you'd like)
Stats: Just want to tell you...
- done the manga
- done the original anime
- I have all of Brootherhood and both movies on DVD, but am waiting for a good time to watch them.
Favourite Characters: Gee... that's a toughie. Definitely on the list is...
- Ed
- Greed
- Kimblee
- Lin
- Havoc
- Fuery
- Hohenheim
- Hughes

Topic: Characters I don't like
Hmmm... another toughie... I don't think I have one! That's nice.

Question: Anyone seen the FullMetal novel series? It's written by a different person, but it is still canon. I'm reading the first one now. It's about Russell and Fletcher Tringam, with a bonus story about warehouse 13. So, it's stuff that was in the original anime but not the manga. It's really interesting because the characters have to be described, and not just shown in a picture.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
hello there isthatyoudan.

So, you're saying the novels are related more to the first anime? Iiiiinteresting. I might have to bump them up a bit higher on my priority list.

isthatyoudan

Years
Yeah, I'm not sure. I have this weird, biting suspicion that maybe the novels came out before the anime. In the manga stream, Hughes was still alive when the novel was being written. I'm onto the warehouse 13 short story, and there was a quote I liked involving Havoc shortly after it was explained why he was deemed unfit to take care of black hayate.
"I'm hungry," Havoc said suddenly. "Let's eat."
Maybe his stomach had growled because it was lunchtime, or maybe it was because he saw the dog. Had Fuery been there to hear him, he surely would have assumed the latter, grabbed the dog, and ran several kilometers before stopping.

Advertisement time: If anyone plays Scribblenauts Unlimited on Steam, find me: Rubber Band of Doom. I have a collection of all the anime versions of the homunculi.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
So... something really interesting happened to me the other day.

I went to this Book Fair that's in our town, and only open a few weeks every few months... anyway, I was browsing, and I came across a book called "The Alchemy of Forever" and well... here's the description: (pulled from Amazon, and this is also inside the book itself:

After spending six hundred years on earth, Seraphina Ames has seen it all. Eternal life provides her with the world's riches, but at a very high price: innocent lives. Centuries ago, her boyfriend, Cyrus, discovered a method of alchemy that allows them to swap bodies with other humans, jumping from one vessel to the next, taking the human's life in the process. No longer able to bear the guilt of what she's done, Sera escapes from Cyrus and vows to never kill again.

Then sixteen-year-old Kailey Morgan gets into a horrific car accident right in front of her, and Sera accidentally takes over her body. For the first time, Sera finds herself enjoying the life of the person she's inhabiting—and falls for the human boy who lives next door. But Cyrus will stop at nothing until she's his again, and every moment she stays, she's putting herself and the people she's grown to care for in great danger. Will Sera have to give up the one thing that's eluded her for centuries: true love?

Gee, remind you of anything?

Years
So... something really interesting happened to me the other day.

I went to this Book Fair that's in our town, and only open a few weeks every few months... anyway, I was browsing, and I came across a book called "The Alchemy of Forever" and well... here's the description: (pulled from Amazon, and this is also inside the book itself:

Gee, remind you of anything?

Oh my. Honestly though, whenever I even see the word "alchemy" by itself I instantly think of FMA.. that's how much I associate the word with the series. :( But that book sounds like something I'd pick up solely out of being an FMA fan!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
That... actually doesn't remind me of FMA, but like Sheep, "alchemy" automatically makes me think of FMA so I guess it counts. That actually sounds like an amazing book, I should try and find it sometime. XD

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I need to find that book. Anything that relates to my other interests are stories I will read.

Like the others above, Alchemy does remind me of FMA. I'm so glad I am not the only person that thinks of that! Because alchemy = superly awesome magic and I scream internally every time I read or hear about it. xD

isthatyoudan

Years
Holy cow, I saw that book at a store, thought the same thing, and then thought I was weird!
By the way, I started the second FMA novel, but it is no longer like the original anime. I think they just decided to add the original novel's story for fun.

I started Brootherhood the other day. Felt a bit more fast-paced than the original, so I'm hoping that they will have time to really delve into their ending.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I can't believe it's been a year since I watched the complete series. The arcs I can least remember are the Briggs fort and the details about Xerxes. And I still haven't watched the Sacred Star of Milos, haha... There are light novels too? :o

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
Yep, there are a total of.. I believe 10 Light Novels. 3 are based on the games.. the 2 ps2 ones, and I think Daughter of Dusk for the Wii?

The other 7 are original stories, the first 5 having been translated by VIZ. Apparently the 03 anime adapted the story from the first novel into episodes 11 and 12.
the 5th novel comes with the FMA Manga Boxset, but I think you can get it separately. You should be able to get all the novels for pretty cheap on Amazon.

And yes, I own the FMA Manga Boxset, and it is glorious! 8D

Yukari

Favorite character(s): Edward Elric and Scar

How/when did you get into the FMA series? What are your overall thoughts on the manga/anime?

Fullmetal Alchemist is a rather recent interest, in fact I got into the series this year. The first time I ever heard of it was a trailer I watched on one of the DBZ seasons. I thought that it was evil when I saw it, but a few years later when I saw that Fullmetal Alchemist was the #3 ranking Manga on MyAnimelist I gave it a try.

Have you read the FMA manga? If so, did you read it through until the end or was the anime your preference?

I read the Manga before I tried either of the Anime. After that I check out every Volume from our Library, until I learned that someone lost volume 26... So I'm stuck there...

Last edited:
Years
Welcome, Orpheus! :D About time you got here!

Blue, I am insanely envious of that boxset. You have no idea how much I'd want that if I weren't so stingy. -sigh-

Yukari

I didn't even know there was a FMA fanclub until lilith asked me:
Have you ever considering joining the Fullmetal Alchemist fanclub here?
I'd have joined sooner if I'd known it was here. :P

D: Oh my- I want that box set...

isthatyoudan

Years
ermagherd... stuck on volume 26... That must be very difficult. Wow...
I was freaking out around that time. By volume 20 or so, I just couldn't stop reading until I was completely done. I would read multiple volumes in a weekend.
I had seen the ending of the original anime a few weeks before I finished the books... I must say... the manga ended much better. Even in the middle. I was sad that there was no Lin or any of our other friends from Xing in the anime.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
I was freaking out around that time. By volume 20 or so, I just couldn't stop reading until I was completely done. I would read multiple volumes in a weekend.
I had seen the ending of the original anime a few weeks before I finished the books... I must say... the manga ended much better. Even in the middle. I was sad that there was no Lin or any of our other friends from Xing in the anime.

Where the characters from Xing even introduced in the MANGA when the 03 anime was made though?

Yukari

Hello there Orpheus! And why did you first think fma was "evil" if I may ask? Also, which anime did you like more?
To 8 year old me, the trailer looked evil. In retrospect it really doesn't look so bad though. :P

As for which Anime I like better... That would have to be Brotherhood. I like the original FMA Anime but the pacing really doesn't sit too well with me. Aside from that I love the fact that Brotherhood stays true to the Manga, the story in Fullmetal Alchemist is great and creative with some great plot twists.

I know, It's driving me crazy. I checked out every volume available, but then I leared that somebody lost volume 26. >:(

Back