• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Yesterday's Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnemite

I'm in the past.
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
While you wait for Yesterday's Journey to start up again, check out my side project, Sentinel of Seasons: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=4520911

Pokémon: Yesterday's Journey

Introduction-
This thread is mainly meant as a means of informing the masses that Pokémon: Yesterday's Journey is coming. Yesterday's Journey is a game being developed in RMXP using poccil's Pokémon Essentials.

Plot Overview-
Today, a member of the Pokémon Breeders Society is coming to the orphanage where you live. He is giving a short presentation on Pokémon, and at the end, all the ten year old orphans will receive a Pokémon. Unfortunately, orphans aren't allowed to go on Pokémon Adventures, as they are required to have their parents' permission.

So you have your Pokémon, but you've got nobody to battle and nowhere to go. Outside, you can hear a Pokémon crying. After talking to the Pokémon, there is a white flash and it seems better. When you step back inside, everything looks different. The TV is gone, the rugs are a different color, and nobody looks familiar. You are greeted by an old woman who does not recognize you. She asks you to leave, as she has to feed the orphans. You desperately try to explain to her that you are an orphan, but she thinks you are mocking the poor children she takes care of. Confused, you wander around the town.

Just before the entrance to Route 1, you are greeted by an elderly man. He tells you that Celebi brought you back in time. Celebi brought this man back in time nearly 100 years. That was 60 years ago. He has been searching for Celebi ever since. He informs you that much of the technology you are familiar with has not been invented yet. The Pokédex, the Pokégear, even the Pokéball is years away. Apricorns, he tells you, are how trainers capture Pokémon. He informs you that to return home, you must find Celebi. This will be no easy feat. Remember, he has been searching for 60 years.

With your new Pokémon in an Apricorn and a mission on your mind, you set out.

On your first stop, you meet a boy named Harvey. He begins talking about the Pokémon League Challenge, and for a moment, you forget all about being trapped in the past. Dreams of battles and adventures fill your head. As you snap back to reality, you remember that you must concentrate on finding Celebi.

Unfortunately, you're not the only one tracking the legendary Pokémon. Team Chrono, a vicious gang of thugs is hunting down the creature as well. They hope to use it to manipulate time. With time standing still, they can run wild, catching rare Pokémon without a struggle.

On your journey, you'll meet many familiar faces. Professor Oak, Kurt, and many others all appear as their younger selves in Yesterday's Journey.

What's different about the past?
-Pokéballs: They haven't been invented yet. You catch Pokémon in Apricorns.
-The Pokédex: Professor Oak is just a kid, he hasn't even dreamed of the Pokédex yet. You can always take notes on Pokémon in a journal.
-Potions: Before the mass production of medicine, people had their own homemade herbal remedies for everything.
-Pokémon Centers: The government has yet to build a Pokécenter in every city. You'll only find them in major cities. There are plenty of nice citizens who would be willing to let you and your Pokémon rest with them, however.
-Pokémart: This helpful little chain store isn't around yet. (7-Eleven hasn't been around forever either, you know.) You can always find a good old general store or buy useful things from other trainers and civilians.
-The PC: Bill Gates is years away. If you catch too many Pokémon, you can always register with the Pokémon Ranch. They'll give you a nifty whistle to blow whenever you have too many Pokémon to carry. Then one of their specially trained Pidgey will fly out, pick it up, and bring it back to the ranch where they will catalog and store it for you.
-The Bicycle: Sure, they've been invented, but they're far from optimized for all terrain riding. You can always hop on your favorite Pokémon and go for a "Ride".
+Many more changes.

Features-
Over 50 new Pokémon.
The all new Tokon Region.
Dozens of new moves, as well as many of your favorites from Diamond and Pearl.
100 TMs, including the new move "Ride" which will let you mount your favorite Pokémon to get around.
(Semi) Custom tilesets.
New Items
Diamond/Pearl Music
Different sprites for existing Pokémon. (Aren't you tired of looking at the same thing in every RMXP game?)
A twisting plot that keeps the gameplay moving smoothly.

Credits
poccil, for Pokémon Essentials.
samson, for the new Pokémon sprites.
Fangking Omega, for overworld sprites.
4th Gen Matt, for the D/P music.
Me, for everything else.

I'll be doing 95% of the work for this game myself, but there are a few things I need help with.
The Ride animation sprite in the video is temporary. I need someone who can make a better one.
If anyone can make icons for the Pokémon menu, I need some made for all the new Pokémon.
There are a few other things I may need. I'll add them as I think of them.

This thread may not be updated regularly. I find that maintaining a thread distracts me from concentrating on the game itself. In fact, most of my games are doomed as soon as I post a thread. In order to keep Yesterday's Journey alive, I'm actually going to try to stay away from this thread. Haha! Enjoy!

Last edited:

Magnemite

I'm in the past.
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
All the Fakémon are made by Samson, and are visible in his sprite thread. I have edited some of them, and of course, I'm not using all of the ones he has posted.

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
Years
Game looks awesome. Man, I would love to get my hands on that Ride script. Is it going to be an HM or is it going to replace the Bicycle?

I appreciate that you credited me. Many people do not, unfortunately.

Magnemite

I'm in the past.
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
Game looks awesome. Man, I would love to get my hands on that Ride script. Is it going to be an HM or is it going to replace the Bicycle?

I appreciate that you credited me. Many people do not, unfortunately.

It's a TM, but it will be readily available. It's also replacing the bike. For the script, I basically mimicked the bicycle script, since I don't know anything about scripting.

Ahh, and I should mention that "TM" stands for Training Manual now, as 50 years ago, we didn't have CD's either.

Ultimo Spriter

I'm back ...
Years
that video made me crave for more
it had the right amount of knowlege any vid like that should have
ur fakemon look ausome
this game looks really cool cant ait for next release

also what is the name of the song in ur vid ??

Exiled~Shadow

Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow
Years
It's a TM, but it will be readily available. It's also replacing the bike. For the script, I basically mimicked the bicycle script, since I don't know anything about scripting.

Ahh, and I should mention that "TM" stands for Training Manual now, as 50 years ago, we didn't have CD's either.

so does that mean hm mean Hidden Manuel?

Mitchman

Banned
Years
yes it would mean so. Anyway wow nice game. But if your to make the move ride an hm that would mean you would need to make a sprite for every single pokemon that knows it. But thats what i love bout this game. Anyway i hope to see more and good luck.

Magnemite

I'm in the past.
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
so does that mean hm mean Hidden Manuel?

It might, but I haven't quite decided yet.

yes it would mean so. Anyway wow nice game. But if your to make the move ride an hm that would mean you would need to make a sprite for every single pokemon that knows it. But thats what i love bout this game. Anyway i hope to see more and good luck.

I'm probably only going to use one graphic for all Pokémon, just as there is only one Surf graphic. I lack the scripting knowledge to do something like that.

This looks pretty good!
But the battle graphics make me cringe........................

Do you mean the Name/HP/Whatever Boxes? If so, why? And they are sort of temporary. I just edited them a bit so they wouldn't look the same for the promo video.

Magnemite

I'm in the past.
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
Yes I ment those, if you would like I could make you some, for proof look at pokemon carbon,or pokemon Outlaw.
Yeah, that would be really helpful. I was thinking of a bluish theme, a bit more on the conservative side (nothing too flashy), but definitely noticeably different from the standard boxes. Thanks so much for the help!

Magnemite

I'm in the past.
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
Well... Last night, I fried my computer. It won't turn on at all. I'm thinking I toasted the motherboard, but I'm going to have my dad's friend look at it to be sure. Hopefully I'll be able to get some things off the hard drive, but if not... Well, that means I've lost everything. I'll update again when I find out if the hard drive is accessible.

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
Years
o___o

Oh no~! ; o; Let us all hope that your files can be recovered! I really liked how the game was looking : \

I'm so sorry to hear that Magnemite! Ever since Wichu lost some Amethyst data, I've been backing up my own game daily, and this only shows me more how important that is...

Again, I hope everything is alright!

Ash987

Pokemon Trainer
Years
Have you got any of the work back? If not have you started again yet?The thread is slipping back though the pages.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
Have you got any of the work back? If not have you started again yet?The thread is slipping back though the pages.
Look in his sig:
My computer died, and I lost ALL of my files.
I'm working to get Pokémon: Yesterday's Journey back into development, but I'll need all the help I can get.
If you can script or sprite and would be interested in helping me bring my prized project back to life, please PM me! Thanks!
Watch the promo here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=160659"

Magnemite, I surely, truely hope you get your game back up.

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
Years
Actually, my computer froze with RMXP running while eventing the Pokemon Center for my game. I closed all of the opened browsers using the keyboard and restarted. When I tried to open up my game, it had an error. It took my 4 or 5 hours, but I got all of my data back, exept for the PokeCenter and for some reason, the rival's house. But, now, I did everything 3 times quicker.

So, Good luck with retriving your work! That must be really depressing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back