• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen 7 years of Black and White

Years
tumblr_o31u9g2OXZ1qkst2zo1_500.png

wow nica how could you forget that important day

So, it was this week that celebrated 7 years since Pokemon Black & White were first released in Japan on September 18th, 2010. It was a notably different Pokemon game than any other at the time, being a soft-reboot with a new region that had completely new Pokemon and no oldies until the postgame.

It had so many new features to bring to the table, such as the Dream World, Triple and Rotation Battles, and of course making TMs permanently reusable. It was also known for its memorable story, characters and the environmentally diverse region that was Unova.

So, to look back on B/W's 7th anniversary, what were your best memories of the games? How did you react when the games were first announced? And where does B/W stand in your favourite Pokemon games?

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I didn't forget! Well I did forget but then I got reminded but then forgot to make a thread lmao. Thank you :)

But yeah it's crazy. The hype I felt for GS VC was very much like BW's initial release. I was so excited. I think the only way to match the excitement is if BW got remastered for the Switch. Alas. We will be getting a remake in about three years anyways so we can look forward to that. I hope ;)

But yeah. I just remember how excited I got and that first day I finally played after waiting for so long (10th, rip). On the Japanese release day now THAT was a different story. Crazy active in this forum here. Had so many reports lmao it was insane. Excellent times though. We really couldn't wait and didn't know what to believe re: the starter evolutions.

When they were first announced I didn't care and thought they would suck. CLEARLY I was wrong or else Fletch would kill me.

BW are equal with GSC for me c: No other games come close!

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen yesterday
I remember all the hype surrounding Zoroark's silhouette. Lots of people claiming "it's a Mightyena/Lucario evo!", and so on. I don't really remember the reactions towards its actual reveal, unfortunately >>
...But the reactions towards the fully-evolved starters though. Lots of people really hated Samurott for being too different from Dewott, and of course Emboar for being yet another Fire/Fighting starter. Funny how their evolved forms were leaked, then 6 years later the same thing happened to the Alolan starters.
Overall, I really liked BW despite its shortcomings. I'm currently playing through White right now, in fact.

Last edited:
Years
It really feels... odd to me; like BW were older games but at the same time they're recent? I can't remember my reactions in full at the time but I do vividly remember, at the very least, being excited for Black version because I was looking forward to catching Reshiram! BW is also where Pokemon games started to become more story-focused, which I personally definitely appreciate. As much as I dislike BW's post-game, I can never genuinely hate on the story.

Happy (super late) 7th birthday, BW!

Years
Wow...7 years already! It's kinda sad to hear, since I honestly still have that feel as if Black/White are the most recent games. These games were the last time when I actively had RL friends who still played the Pokemon games, we used to battle and trade a lot. I loved many of the new features, and I spent so much time on the GTS trading for Pokemon. I remember being very excited when I arrived to Skyarrow Bridge, then ending up in the huge Castelia City. In the end of my save's life, I had about 300ish Pokemon filled out in the pokedex. Black and White are some of my favorite games, tying around with DP and RBY. (and they did introduce my favorite Pokemon, Snivy & Serperior!)

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Damn, seven years. Can't believe it's been this long. Like many people here, BW still feel like the 'newest' generation to me. It's definitely a generation I'm still exploring to it's fullest, and I won't be done for a long time I think.

I am still sad that BW lost some of its functionalities due to the discontinuing of the WFC; the games feel incomplete in a way. I wish GameFreak would bring at least Dream World back for harvesting berries.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
This makes me feel old lol. I remember when these games came out because I had a poster of the BW starters, but didnt actually play any of the games. Weird, right? The issue is that they came out around the same time Pokemon stopped being cool, so I didnt play them. Then when XY came out, I just stopped giving a crap what others thought. I should go back and play BW, but I dont have a copy unfortunately.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
This makes me feel old lol. I remember when these games came out because I had a poster of the BW starters, but didnt actually play any of the games. Weird, right? The issue is that they came out around the same time Pokemon stopped being cool, so I didnt play them. Then when XY came out, I just stopped giving a crap what others thought. I should go back and play BW, but I dont have a copy unfortunately.

Trust me these games are cool! You should defo seek out a copy though. Honestly you are missing a lot of cool things imo! :) Likeee... best story of any game, easily. There's also a lot of cool little hidden places (well, they feel hidden to me lol) maybe just find a second hand copy? They shouldn't be that dear now but I definitely suggest you get one!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Honestly and I have no idea why, but I feel like I never really got the full experience for the games, even though I bought both White and White 2 on their release dates, and beat them. Like, I played them but at the same time I feel like I didn't because there was such a disconnect for me, and I barely remember anything from Gen V. It might have been because I'm such a Gen IV fan and was sad to see them go, but I'd like to replay them at some point - it just really sucks that the Wi-Fi parts of the game are no longer functional, because I feel like they were big parts of it.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Trust me these games are cool! You should defo seek out a copy though. Honestly you are missing a lot of cool things imo! :) Likeee... best story of any game, easily. There's also a lot of cool little hidden places (well, they feel hidden to me lol) maybe just find a second hand copy? They shouldn't be that dear now but I definitely suggest you get one!

My local gamestops have used copies, but they are $30-35. I have the money, but I dont know if I have the time, ya know?

Should I get BW or BW2? And which version of each?

Back