The PokéCommunity Forums Entertainment & Media Video Games
Gamer Obscurea; Games in Hiding

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Old June 12th, 2018 (11:57 AM).

Nature: Lonely

Neverland Card Battles
    PSP
    by: Yuke's

There is a large library of PSP games and a LOT of them are well known, and I do mean literally; even in multiplayer. So obscure video games in this field is more difficult, THIS INCLUDES FINDING THE HARD TO FIND VIDEO GAMES!:cry:

I did find one, that for a card game was actually a lot of fun... for a tactics gentlemen like myself. Never land Card Battles is an interesting fusion of Culdcept Revolt meet's Final Fantasy Tactics or Yu-Gi-Oh meet's Shining Force for the Sega Genesis.

In the game, you play as a dashing rouge who has inherited your grandfather's deck of cards and get guided to a massive underground tomb. You meet the guardian who teaches you about the cards, shows you how to use them, the purpose of your existence there and the game start's. At the bottom of the tomb is suppose to be a big bad villain who's main goal is to take over the world.... 'OF COURSE!' Your objective is as follows, seal it, kill it or re-awaken it. On your way down, you'll meet other people with deck's of their own with their own agenda's, such as one of them wanting to awakening the big bad due to being possessed, another just looking to gain more cards to bring to the surface and do his own world domination scheme's and another just being an explorer documenting the tomb. Etc.

The game is fair and fun if your enjoy games like Culdcept Revolt on your 3DS and has multiplayer options, so it's a spiffy step in the right direction... So why did the game fail?.... Not a lot of people we're into card game tactics mixed with tabletop element's which this is in the end, kinda what it is and the niche audience for this title is incredibly hard to find anymore. I did a little more digging on the developer's, Yuke's and found out they mostly developed sports games; most notably wrestling and fighting titles from the WWE line-up and more obscure fighter titles such as Rumbling Roses.... which is a female boxing game title, so foxy boxing? I won't get into the details since I don't own nor have I played that title, moving on. If you played a WWE, there's a 95% chance that Yuke's we're behind some of the coding to the title and having their shtick published by a publisher such as the dead THQ or EA or Activision or D3 or 2K games... Wow, lot's of publishers.

In my opinion, I think we stabbed a developer in the back as a consumer, because when researching this title, they we're the only gent's I could find as a publisher. They we're a game company trying to get around on their own and join the league of gaming giants with fantasy and arts or something new and we killed it without even looking into this game, the game itself had exposure in the media and said 'HEY AMERICA! JAPAN! THIS IS COMING OUT!" and we ignored it. If you have a love of card games and tactic's I recommend giving this title a VERY hard look and give it a playthrough.

Old June 18th, 2018 (4:27 PM).

Steambot Chronicles: Battle Tournament

This is the last title for the PSP I will be doing for a while, because digging for obscure PSP games is not easy.... Gamers of the obscure, if you find any, I'm all ears; just understand these 3 games I presented from the PSP we're not push-overs to find.

Steambot Chronicles: Battle Tournament is one of those weird Japanese games where the entire thing involved mech's and the multiple uses of those mechs. Whether you entered combat tournaments or used them as a stage for your band. Another weird thing they did with this mech title is they refer to all the other mechs in the game as TrotMobiles... TrotMobiles.... BUT HEY, WHO CARES?! The fun parts about this title are the customization options. You can customize your mech 3 ways from Sunday, give it a chainsaw arm, use a tree as an ogre club, give it a flamethrower and cook your opponents to a nice Backyard BBQ. Mmmmmmmmm, BBQ. You can even customize your face and rear license plates with self made artworks and give everyone on the road THE FINGER! MWAH HA HA HA!!!!.... Awwwwww... .The only thing you can't do is set the town on fire for being so peaceful.

*AHEM* The thing that pads the game out are the requests. In order to progress through the title, you need to do subquests which earn you cash and fame which gives you a better chance to enter tournaments... And that's about it, your main story is to fight your way to the top. You can do AD-HOC with up to 4 friends and slug it out in mech matches, so that's kinda fun.... That's all I got to say about this title.... IT's OLDER OBSCURE Brother on the other hand....

Steambot Chronicles

Steambot Chronicles.... How do I describe it.... A Studio Ghibli film turned into an Elder Scrolls game... I am not joking.

To me, it's not even good at being what it claims you can do in the game's opening such as 'Be the Bad Guy if you want, Steambot Chronicales!; or 'Win the world over with music, Steambot Chronicles!' *insert my frustration with the title music here*. Unlike the game's younger brother on the PSP, this title, I guess, you could say is a Megaman Legends with 20 tons of weight attached to your legs and you run on gas. The controls you have are tank controls and you use the shoulder buttons to commence mech actions...

I am not a big fan of controls like this, though it's understandable, because like the PSP counterpart, there are a TON of customization options, Not as many as the ones in the PSP, but enough to keep your game entertaining. As far as the rest of the game goes, there are a ton of side quests and the main story of the game is subjective, there is a winning end; though it's an end you don't have top explore. You can take on the side quests as jobs, earn cash, fix up your mech, buy clothes, play music and earn money off that music, cook your own meals.... They give you the ability to do a lot of things as if the ma,in spirit of the game is suppose to be how we treat SKYRIM!!! SIDE QUESTING AS WE SLAUGHTER THE TOWN WITH OUR LEVEL 9,000 WARRIOR THIEF AS WE ROB THE TOWN OF IT'S CLOTHES AND SET FIRE TO THE BUILDINGS OF OPPRESSIVE RICH A$$H****.... Don't tell me you never did that on Skooma as a Kajhit.

NOW FOR THE BADDER STUFF, You can't unlock any more of the game's content until you pursue the story a little further, such as watching the starting town get raided by a gang who want's to build a rocket ship, but don't know JACK about rocket science or watch your love interest board a train top go get famous while leaving your amnesia butt in the dirt. It's just aggravating, especially when things are dragged out over a long period of time and even further when you can't destroy the town good-old-fashion style by getting a mech to do it or starting a gang to do it for kicks. Then after that, there's bringing your mech into town, You can't leave it in the middle of the road, your set on autopilot until you pick a space to park, get out and go do stuff, such as eat or you won't be able to run as a human on the world map and have to walk everywhere or have your mech reaction become sluggish... Yes, you have a hunger bar and need to eat to keep the game optimal operation...

All in all, this is actually a good title to track down; you can't do any fun stuff you could do with a mech like in Megas XLR. But the game is reminiscent of an anime where you decide what happens in the story and, like I said, the game is mostly side questing and doing whatever you want from cooking to playing your hormonica on the street or going to classy piano bar and play the piano in a pseudo guitar hero style vid game. It's not half bad... IT's just getting past the story elements to the oint where it's actually fun, and there are a few people I know out there who wouldn't want to deal with that.

Old June 29th, 2018 (11:49 AM). Edited June 29th, 2018 by Quto.

Vectorman
        Sega Genisis, Android, iOS, PC, Linux... Nearly wherever you can find a Sega Classics Game on any platform, this title is in it.

OK folks, this is a game I want to draw attention too and pay my respects too; mostly because it recently hit the android shop for sega's classics. Vectorman was basically the DarkSoul's of the 90's where Megaman meets and Arcade Cabinet for a one-night stand and had this as their kid. It was a HARD game, so hard that there was a $25k contest for the first player to actually beat it! A contest that wasn't won until 3 Month's later and the ****** quality of how the contest was run!

Let's go over the games story a little; shall we? The game is set in a distant future where we trash the planet to where it's no longer breathable or suitable for life, so we do the next laziest thing; we build a bunch of 'orb' bots among other machines to clean up our mess for us while we live in space. A robot named warhead, named after a nuke was attached to a orb bot's head, begins to reprogram the other machines with intent to destroy us. Vectorman, a bot coming back from burning a load of garbage on the sun takes notice to to the other machines and goes off to scrap them and fight warhead.... Ok, from the game's story, we got an environmental message, along with a villain who sounds like he belongs on a heavy metal album and a robot who sounds like he should be a badass of a hero who works as a garbage man.... WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE?!

Game Mechanic wise, you start the game in the city. You have a double jump and a hand that can fire photon's or energy bullets. You can fire in multiple directions by pushing the D-pad in that direction, even under you in mid air and you can duck to dodge incoming attacks. Controls are pretty tight and you have a life bar, 4 hits and you start over, or rather, start from where you destroyed your last TV. That another thing, there are goodies and power-ups all over the levels held inside TV's. You break one, it releases the goody and doubles as your check point. The power ups vary from transforming Vectorman into a bomb, a drill, a car, a fish.... or... Nearly anything, the transformations are actually quite clever, and weapons such as a shotgun laser, bolo, grenade arch like shot, it's a short list, they're handy. Surviving in the game is hard, unless you know what to do or look for, there's a power-up to expand your life in each level and getting a high score or rather, hitting the the score needed to earn extra lives are the key's to surviving Vectorman. Beating it requires just real platforming skill.

Moving onto the contest and how it was handled; I've only been able to reach level 6 before dying(succumbing) to the games cruel difficulty, and playing with me trying. There are 10 more levels, more harder than the one I die on a lot, 16 levels of difficulty ramping up higher and higher that would even give Megaman a run for his money if the blue bomber went through these levels. So the game has earned it's infamy and difficulty with me as a gamer from the 90's, but after doing some digging on the title about the contest, I came across a fact that would have literally enraged any gamer participating the contest.

You see, when the contest was announced and the cartridges we're being flashed, or rather, having the ROM chip loaded up with the game code and what-not. They only programmed a handful of the contest cartridge's to have the screen unlock at the hardest difficulty, which could be adjusted from the game's option menu; which doesn't change much except the point cap you need to hit to get extra lives, easy being every 10k of points, you get an extra life and hard being set at 40k.... Meaning that in order to win the contest, you not only had to buy the game, the game had to have the line of code that gives you a special screen with the proper contest number. So not only did you need to beat the game, on the hardest difficulty, you had to be lucky enough to have a winning cartridge!!! Which I guess ticked a lot of people off back then for those who had the skill to beat the game in advance to discover there was no 'contest' screen after they beat it. The contest though, like I said, was won and beaten by a 12-year-old boy in 3 month's since the games release, who won the cash prize, got to tour Sega HQ and premier in a Sega TV commercial. After which they removed the contest label on most of the future produced cartridges and replaced them with the standard label.

Aside from the difficulty, the game's levels vary in creativity in how you explore them to find the exit or end and like I said before, the controls are pretty tight, not as tight as Megaman, but enough that the death's and mistakes are on the player's skill level and not the game's coding or in-game bugs and glitches. And the music to the game itself is beautiful in itself, the music of Vectorman defines the age of Sega Genesis.. In fact, the music released as it's own Music CD, produced by Sega and distributed in stores for purchase.... One of those CD'S which I do happen to own! It's high tech-ish, electronica-ish music if I had to describe it, (Not much of a man for music genre defenitions) but hearing the title to this game put's me in a mood to keep my mind up and my wit's sharp. In fact, every level of the game's music I've experienced so far has been a joy to listen too while having my butt handed to me by the games difficulty; so much so that I'm not even mad if I loose. Game restart's, I hear that title and I'm ready to play again.

Megaman players, I do recommend giving your copies of Megaman a break while preparing for the next Megaman game from Capcom. Give the Nes a rest, and give this game a shot, you won't be disapointed!

BEFORE I sign off of this personal favorite; I do have a parting gift.
        This is for the gamer's who either get the app, a Sega collection thing or pirate the title: I COULD CARE LESS!

Cheat Codes! More or less for the gamer who want's to play casually and not deal with the games difficulty.
        During Game Play: Push Pause then...
        A, B, Right, A, C, A, Down, A, B, Right, A - Restores Life
        C, A, Left, Left, A, C, A, B - Invincibility

Level Warp:
        There's the debug option of a level warp you can google, though I find this more fun. When you start the game and get to the Sega logo before the title, you can move Vectorman around. Have him get under and shoot the Sega 24 times and hit Vectorman's head on it 12 times. Sega will start dropping letters. IF you grab enough letters, you can warp to a further level in the game.

Blow-Up The Screen:
        This is just an Easter egg, at the same screen before the title where you can move vectorman around, there's a hidden TV along the top, Shoot it to get the power-up that kills all baddies on screen and use it. You will have broken the Sega Logo and the screen.

Old July 7th, 2018 (1:02 PM).

SEQUENCE
          BEforE ThE Echo

PC

I want to introduce folks to another game not very well known, called Seq-... Wait. Since when was it this?.... Oh...... I mean, Before The Echo!

Before the Echo is a game that mixes RPG elements into a DDR format.... To a lot of you, that doesn't sound like the type of RPG to get into... and you would be normally right, though this game has caught my attention before it was called what it is now, which I'll get into why later on.

In the game, your play as yourself who was captured and forced into a tower of monster's which you have no idea how you got there or why you are there other than you are here. You then get guided by a beautiful young girl who instructs you on how to survive the tower, gives you your first set of spells and teaches you the bare basics. From there, you have to escape the tower by reaching the top floor.. As you travel through the tower, you start breaking the 4th wall in terms of the games logic.... As in, the character notices he doesn't need to eat or sleep, he doesn't feel tired and has gone on a long time without being thirsty and start smaking other observations that shouldn't be real.

What happens next, I leave to you, but I'll go over how the fights go. First off, you get to pick your battles, so there's no other reason to blame anyone but yourself of what you get into. The battle starts and your given 3 DDR boxes. One is a Shield, Another is a sword and the last is a (+) sign. In the shield, DDR arrows fall representing damage you will be taking, unless you start hitting the arrow keys to start catching and stopping the attacks coming in. When there's a break, you can cast an attacking spell, which you swap your focus to the sword box and start dancing to the arrows in that for the combo. If you finish the combo fully, you cast the spell and deal the damage. If your running low on mana to cast the spells, you swap over to the (+) and hit the arrows to regain the mana... And you have to do ALL of this under a certain time limit, because like the real DDR, You have until the end of the song to finish off your opponents.

Alright, some of the huge pro's! The game's story is pretty deep and the characters are well fleshed out as you go through the tower with enough difficulty ramping up to make the game interesting. The music is superb, so much so, that they have the OST available on steam and it is a must have for music lovers... in a sense, if you feel like you'd better off just enjoying the games music as it is in the game, go for it.

There are some con's now. In order to get items to help you out, you got to forge them; meaning you need to beat monster's in these musical dance off's and get them to drop stuff. When you reach a safe room, you have to alchemize them together, but in order to do that, you have to pay EXP points.... I'm not joking. At level 5 from floor 1, you may need to pay 400 exp, which not only knocks you back to lvl 4, but has a chance of failing! IF you fail, you don't get the experience back! Though to be fair, the items don't get destroyed, so you'd have to go back and fight a creature to gain back the EXP to try again to forge the lousy key to get past the floor boss and onto the next floor. The same roughly goes when you want to learn new spells; If you have a scroll to learn a new spell and pay the experience points for it, you go into a DDR screen with only 1 DDR block to focus on, you then have to hit enough of the arrows correctly to learn the spell to add it in your arsenal for battles... which seems to make some sense, though the more powerful the spell, the more difficult the challenge is to learn it and more difficult it is to attain... I was level 11 when I tried top learn the best spell in the game and I got knocked back to level 3!!!! BEFORE I COULD LEARN IT! It was TERRIBLE!...

All in All, it's still a fun game if you enjoy DDR, RPG's and good music, this is the kind of game you'd see Gunkey enjoy since it requires fast and constant attention.

..Also, my notes above earlier; This game USE to be called Sequence before a certain company 'Jax LTD.' came along and forced a take-down and shut-down if they did not change the game's name. Which Sequence was then called 'Before the Echo.' Which I don't see the reason why if Sequence is also named after a lousy card game also called sequence.... Eh, who knows, maybe people out there still play it.

Old July 12th, 2018 (8:47 PM).

Rugrats Adventure Game
            PC

Alright folks of the obscure, I want to take you to a familiar and unfamiliar territory. LICENSED VIDEO GAMES! *I feel the forum board groaning at me in disgust before they leave.* Ok, COME ON! I know about 95% of the games licensed by whoever or whatever we're terrible cash grabs done just so we would scream at the top of our lungs as young brats at our parents and then we would kick and cry when we didn't get what we wanted.

There is the 5% though, the RARE 5%, that there are licensed games out there that have had effort put into them to actually make them playable. The Treasure Planet Battle at Procyon I posted earlier promotes there are good titles in the sea of bad licensed products which does count them towards as obscure games. Games that are not seen because people look at the license as a whole rather than look at the details in the property.... Or in layman's terms, Watching a boring episode of bob's burgers until your told there's a topless, insert your preferred gender or being your attracted to here, and you watch that episode again to find it, you then find it and it becomes your favorite episode.... My next few post's will be on games from different licenses that have HAD that extra effort put into them to actually fulfill the idea's of our childhood and this title was one of them.

Rugrat's Adventure game is a point and click title that does as it sounds, it's an adventure to rescue Reptar; the babies favorite godzilla-knock-off toy. The toy gets thrown out by mistake and the babies attempt to get it back. Pretty simple, right?... Well, You need a method to get to the doll, a method to scare off any garbage men about to get the trash cans and I guess a method to get outside.... And the game does not make it easy at first glance. If you watched the show growing up, there are a few shakes of a hint here or there and tributes to the source material about the humor and items needed to solve certain puzzles, though you need to also think a little more like the babies themselves a little on how they can construct and put 2 and 2 together.... It's a hard method to explain, but it would be like seeing the answer, but the character's don't see the answer until you bring them to the spot and they get the idea and can move onto the next step to solving the problem... If you can track the game down and give it a whirl, you'll see what I mean.

It's fun to play as Tommy and explore the pickles house as a kid that age with the world so big and wide before him.

Before I sign off on this entry, I want to make note of Broderbund.... Mostly because they helped shape another part of the culture in video games; the developed a bunch of strategy games for the commodore64 and we're responsible for everyone's favorite thief who dresses in red, "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" WHICH will not be getting it's own post because nearly everyone on the internet knows who she is or do a quick search for her in google, It's thanks to Broderbund we even have her to begin with!... I mean, the series taught geometry about 99% of the time as an education game, but even then this IP still lives and breathes.... Broderbund no longer makes games anymore as they we're bought out by the learning company and in turn bought out by.... a lot of companies in general to a point where all of their IP's and nearly owned by Ubisoft.... Heh, Carmen Sandiego in an Assassin's Creed Game.... Would actually be incredibly interesting!

... WHELP, I'm off to dig through the internet, topside and Deep web side for more of the licensed titles that were worth the dollar paid for... or at least fun for what you paid for.

Old July 24th, 2018 (4:57 PM).

This is another one of those licensed gems and I'm going to stop on this one... Because this form of obscure game is hard to dig through; SO MANY BAD GAMES!!!!! SO MANY TITLES THAT ARE SO WELL KNOWN, BOTH GOOD AND BAD!!!! THIS IS A LIST OF GOOD ONES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!...*Sigh* There do exist good games, hundreds I've probably never touched on, but finding the obscure is hard...

Gargoyles
              Sega Genisis

Gargoyles; before I get into the game, I want to talk about the IP since this is something not a lot of kiddies will get, especially if they're still watching pewdiepie and not bothering to seek other forms of entertainment. Gargoyles was Disney doing something dark right; in an era of colorful cartoony cartoons of Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop and so on with cartoons being so colorful and such. You may ask, ok, what's so great about it? The TV show was a gothic, epic fantasy, sort of like Batman the Animated Series meets Lord Of the Rings, except Disney saw how violent that got and toned it down while adding a story to it. You had creature that we're vulnerable by day, come to life by night to protect their home in THE PRESENT!!! No I'm not joking, Show's stuff happens, they sleep in statues until the present day in New York City. Each episode had elements of science fiction, some form of fantasy and magic and... It's hard to put into words, first season is slow, but picks up in season 2-4.

So you can imagine my surprise when I tried looking at games that we're made based on popular cartoons and came across this beauty.

The game loosely follow the TV show with the Gargoyles looking for the Eye of Odin, a talisman from the show with strong magic, in hopes to keep it out the hands of humans, due to the effects it has on it's host when worn. The game matches up the mechanics with the show quite good as well, such as being able to scale walls, glide, attack and so on, with 11 levels and a boss at the end with the difficulty scaling up nicely with each passing level. The game's sprites, art for most enemy designs we're handrawn before being pixelated, the same method use when the Aladdin video game was developed. This was a plat-former that did the TV show justice... So why is it not well heard of as a licensed title?

It's a licensed IP video game and from this Era, a lot of other games we're building a reputation to be badly designed titles, including games not developed by LJN. You just need to watch the AVGN on his episode with Ren and Stimpy dealing with the fire house game to get what I mean. That's 'PART' of the reason though, the other reason is, you can ask a friend or some random gaming woman, girl or guy if they remember Gargoyles, depending on who you ask, a large amount of them won't either recall the show or remember and brush it off even. It's roughly in the same boat as Golden Sun, another IP and title that will soon be forgotten unless we draw attention to it.... Good lord, Golden Sun and Gargoyles... That would be an epic game!

MY NEXT POST WILL BE A GAME FROM JAPAN WHERE THE VOICES ARE DONE IN ENGLISH!... No, I'm not joking, the game's story is based in the USA, All the characters speak English and yet the game was both developed and sold in Japan.... I will post it in a day or 2. Not in weeks long struggles this time.... BECAUSE THIS STUFF IS HARD TO LOOK FOR!!!

Old July 28th, 2018 (3:56 PM).

Metal Wolf Chaos
                Xbox Origional || Later for: XboxOne, PS4, PC

Metal Wolf Chaos is a game most internet junkies know about pretty well in the emulation community, especially people who mod their Xbox's. I recently got a chance to give the game a fair shot to play.

If I had to describe the game itself, IT basically G.I. Joe went to Studio Ghibli, Studio Ghibli refused to animate an Japanese version and dumped off to the guys who do Gundam. They then though we didn't have enough guns, super glued guns to an important figure and called in "American" Gaming... The figure they super glue those guns to is the president of the United States. People still angry at Trump? Still want Hillary? Screw them, VOTE FOR THIS GUY! HE HAS A FREAKING MECH AND IS USING IT TO DEFEND AMERICA! *insert the National Athem.*

Alright, the story to the game is America no longer becomes a democracy and we loose everything legally to Communism. The president of the USA hate's this, so he nab's a war mech, loads it with heavy artillery, has the secret service among other resources be his support team and goes on a freedom crusade bender, freeing the cities under heavy control in an attempt to reclaim his own country the hard way. From here, it just get's corny and just straight up funny, like something out of a Shonen jump manga; I mean the voted ruler of one nation, taking a war machine out to reclaim his own country is about as off the wall as it gets, especially when the the plot for this whole thing started when some pain decided to perform a Coup from the inside out.

The Game itself roughly controls like An Armored Core game for the PS2. You have a wide-ish aiming reticle, Take aim to any enemies and pull the trigger. Your aiming reticle coverage and damage is dependent on the weapon, so it's something to consider when tackling this game itself. You can even swap weapons on the move while running, dodging or moving to position somewhere to gain a vantage point.

Even for what it is, the game is incredibly playable for folks speaking and understanding English as their first language because all of the dialogue that has been recorded is English. Every voice actor, every in-game cut-scene; all the voice actors read their lines in English; even 45% of the menu is in English! And this is a game that was developed and released in Japan Only!

So why bring up a game a lot of people who prefer not to pirate play? The game was only released in Japan; true. And the only way to play it was to softmod an Xbox or buy the game and ship it in from the country out east. I'm posting this because there's a re-release coming out here to the West, Metal Wolf Chaos:XD, or the title banner above for this post. The game is getting re skinned and retooled for today's video gaming standards.

Make America Great again? Why not Mech America Great Again!? XD

My jokes aside, when it releases, I recommend looking it up!

Old August 5th, 2018 (6:16 PM). Edited August 5th, 2018 by Quto.

Elements The Game
                  PC, Some older smart phones that support Flash

This is another game shoved out of the lime-light, though not by choice to be in the light and preferring to stay where it is, obscure. This is actually an addictive card game that easy-ish to grasp, though difficult to get through for multiple reasons.

In Element's, you play as an Omnipresent being who can control the elements and you control one particular element to start out. You then participate in a battle to become a master of the elements.

So the game's story is.... Well, very open ended and there's a lot I probably got wrong, but there is no wrong way to go about the game. You have a large-ish library of cards with different elements that perform different things. Gravity element pulls out huge creatures, mounts up damage and can give monsters that can hit like a train. Death Element generate undead monster's that self revive into skeletal warriors and drain life. Time Element plays with the timing of a game, allowing you to draw into more cards while slowing your opponents advance, Fire element to burn and destroy things, the Entropy element where you rely on chaos and randomness to get by.... They have multiple elements to pick from and multiple playstyles of how you want to construct your deck.

How does the game play? It's sort of like magic the gathering, except your mana is accumulative and doesn't expire. You gather Quanta by playing pillars, the pillars produce the necessary energy needed to play cards, some pillars produce two types of energy, other's produce random amounts. You can play monsters, spells and even equip equipment to yourself to do some really broken effects.

You use the Quanta to then play monster's which attack automatically as soon as you choose to end your turn. When you have your monsters played and pillars up, at the end of the turn, the creatures attack, the quanta is refreshed and it's your opponent's turn.

That game mechanics are simple, it can played quickly in the background on your browser while waiting on your next match in Dota 2, League of Legends, Overwatch or just to kill a little time before work.

Con's, there are a few huge cons to the game; the upgrade system and the power balance... This game isn't as far along updated as anyone person would think, there are no new cards added to the arsenal since the game's last major update years ago, so if there are player's expecting brand new cards; I'm sorry to say that your out of luck. Whatever is on the site now is all that remains. The next big con are a few of the minor bugs; once you start playing the game, some of the effect's that should do what they normally do will trip out and do a complete 360 on your match.

An example if you decide to look into this game; I have a Chimera creature that takes all of my monsters on the field and turn's it into one massive monster with all the life and attack power of the monster's in play. There is a token monster that self replicates called the Malignant Cell; I had a huge cluster of them, figured it would make one massive chimera to call an end game.... Instead, it wiped out my field, started me over with one cell and I got slaughtered in 4 turns while waiting on the cell's to re-duplicate.

The next con is the card upgrade system... When you start, You get a bunch of cards which are all standard and basic, When you finish the quest tutorials, you can upgrade the cards into their next form once and the upgraded forms are a lot better in more ways than one. Your pillars become towers which given instant energy once played, your big monsters cost lest and do more damage, etc. But the amount needed to upgrade them is just too much! You need about 1,500 Electrum or Gold to upgrade a single card. A standard match against an AI net's between 1-5 gold, 10 if you beat the AI without taking a scratch. There are tougher A.I.'s that net between 20~100 Gold, but those guys AI's are like a Krillin going up to Goku and attempting to punch him..... Only to have Krillin not only hit himself but gut himself on his own Kamahameha wave; You don't know how that's even possible.. You need better cards before even attempting a fight with them. You also have a daily fortune where they give you an UN-upgraded card daily and a cash bonus, which range between 50~1000 gold.... which helps upgrade your deck but becomes so randomized that you don't know what you'll get. To top it off, there are cards you can't buy in the game's shop to begin with and the only way to attain them is through the Oracle or daily fortune. Which also leads me to speak that you don't have to pay cash to get cards, If you can get ahold of the creators and donate them some dough over paypal, they'll give you an Elements Reward code to get some donation goodies; but the game is so far out of the way that it may or is already not much to donate anymore.

That aside, Earlier I said that the cards aren't updated to the fullest; they aren't properly balanced. The game has been balanced up until it's last update but it's last meta is still the current Meta. If your intending to face the A.I. and friends alone, then you don't need to worry about the Meta since this is probably best to be played for fun.

The last con is that this game was built using Flash... This is another buried Flash title that does have some fun factor while trying to fill in the wait time, but like I mentioned post's back, flash is being phased out faster than EA can put out your next NFL game or Call of Duty.... If EA does not do Call of Duty, then I apologize, I never got into those shooters when they we're the hype. When flash phases out permanently, then this game will no longer be playable.

If you want to give it a try and play it while you can, you can play it...

►►►Here◄◄◄

Old August 15th, 2018 (7:22 PM).

Monster Rancher
                    PS1, PS2, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, PC, Android, Nintendo DS, iOS, PC

Ok, I'm heading out to an anime con to do a panel on some abandoned video game's. I'm not doing a Game Obscurea Panel there, I'm doing one on some abandoned 'Monster' Breeding Games. If your going to Ken-To-kyo con, I hope to see some of ya there at Monster Den! If not, I'll see someone around at some point!

This is a game I'm intending to show at the panel and is a franchise in need of some western love! Monster Rancher!

Before I get any head scratches; Monster Rancher made it's first release in 1997, about roughly a year after Pokemon came out and took the world by wildfire, storm and Dues Ex Machina. You had 3 competing IP's back then to fight the Pokemon Juggernaut for your hard earned cash and the options we're it;s popular toe-to-toe rival Digimon which has had a massive resurgence in RPG titles ALL OVER THE FREAKING INTERNET, PS4 AND ONLY LORD KNOWS WHAT ELSE!!! And the lesser known Monster Rancher... Out west. Out in the east, this thing was the 2nd Juggernaut to fight Pokemon for the hard earned yen and this franchise is popular out there nearly as much as Pokemon. If anything, this franchise was their Digimon! There was an anime based on this!

LOOK AT THIS!
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSq_mHcmvyc

So what was this franchise about? Nixxing the opening above on you tube; It was about literally raising monsters to be combatant Champions. I won't go into the details of the later games, but I do want to go into the details about the earlier games between the PS1 and PS2.

You started the game as a budding rancher and go to the Monster Shrine to get your first monster. Where the game's most 'unique' attribute comes in. It's so unique that it's barely been replicated with the exception of Dance Factory for the PS2 by Code Masters! You use Disk's to spawn your monsters!... By Disk's, I mean your literal disk's. Music CD's, PS1 CD's, PS2 game disk's movies, As long as it was a CD, it could spawn a monster! It would spawn a monster based on the CD's data; so if you got a Moochi with weak stats from... I don't know, a Michael Jackson music CD of Moon Walker, you will continue to get Moochi from that CD with the same weak stats and that will continue to happen across any other copy of the game on the PS1 for that iteration. Monster Rancher 2 on the PS1 might yield a Golem instead with high defense on that same CD, but you will continue to get that Golem across all copies of Monster Rancher 2 and so on. This leads to multiple people experimenting with different CD's, burning different data on re-writable CD's so much that a lot of people have spawned a list of what CD yields what monster!

Once you get your monster, you train them. You control their diet, train them in defense, get them to workout on their strength, praise them or scold them if they mess up, hire a retired monster coach from the association to train your monster further to up a stat and keep this up until the big contest where monsters enter the area to slug it out. If you win or at least place, you win gold to help your monster's training further to become more powerful until they get too old and retire... Which is another interesting mechanic; your monster's age and can get too old to fight until they need to retire either to go to a retirement ranch/land/home or coach. This is an interesting mechanic because your not stuck with the same monster and if you screw up somewhere with your monster, you can re-spawn a new one and give it a better training session from the same disk or try your luck with another monster on a different disk you haven't tried yet. At the same time, it can be a problem when trying to fight your way to the top with the bigger tournaments. You have a monster you've trained it's heart out and you recently passed the Gold Tournament, your about to move onto the Platinum Tournament to beat the game, during your month of training; you get a text message that it looks like your monster is slowing down. It's age is slowing and when you finally get into the big tournament, your monster fails in the next to last match and just as your about to re-apply, your monster is no longer ready to be fighting fit and needs to retire. WHICH HAS HAPPENED TO ME MORE TIMES THAN YOU PEOPLE KNOW ON THE GAME BOY ADVANCE!

There is an RPG deviation of the game in the series and an addictive card game with an interesting play style; but I'll leave that for another day... that and I don't have access to the RPG game of the series.

My aggravations aside; this whole series is an impressive and fun to play game as the later versions include more things to do with your monsters from training to dungeon diving to discover more methods to spawn more powerful monsters. Though the game's cult following in the USA is somewhat gone. There's a die-hard cult following with a website, but that's as much of the West following cult to the game as there is. If your going to a flea market or retro game shop and see a copy for the old PS1, PS2 or even the old Gameboy Advance, I recommend picking it up and take a look at the competition Japan was fighting against.

Old September 14th, 2018 (4:48 PM).

Before I dip into my obscure game post; I want to pay omage and DIRECT ATTENTION to a service, backed by fans, that has restored, faithfully, the Sega Dreamcast's ability to play video games on this retro classic console online once more!

You all know I am a deep-deep-deep fan of the dreamcast... Does this sucker have it's flaws? It does an I'm no fan-boy to ignore the truth; but game enthusiast's alike getting together to not only resurrect these service's but attempt to WORK AROUND the lousy Dial up modem with DreamPi? Sign me up and any other game collector out there! The Dreamcast ladies and gentlemen; RESURRECTED FROM THE DEAD BY DIE-HARD FANS!.... Sort of. Ya couldn't stop the Game boy and ya can't stop the Dreamcast!... BUUUUUUUUT enough gushing as a nerd. POST TIME!

Outcast

OK, this one is a bit of an older title, with an HD remake and there's not a lot to go about. The start of the game, you play as the leftover military stunt double from Diehard, Double Team and Commando who give him the same usual gambit you see in most dumb B-movie action flicks trying to convince him to do one more job... or rather, force him into one. On route to his mission site, he learns we discovered how to CROSS DIMENSIONS and sent a probe over there...sadly, a native on the other side sees the probe, blows it up and after blowing it up, creates a worm-vaccum-hole that will eat earth and out dimension. He's sent in with a team to get it back,someone he hates to work with and a science officer to fix the thing and they get separated in the transfer. When he get's there, the alien race treat him or you like a deity from their prophecy and ask you to go kick ass or kill these other jack asses who rule the planet..... And these guy's, these aliens are... How do I describe them; they are the equivalence of Ned Flanders from the Simpsons and the most ZEN monks seeking peace you'll ever meet in your life; THEIR WHOLE RELIGION IS BASED ON A HERO FROM ANOTHER WORLD COMING TO FIX ALL THEIR PROBLEMS.... It's kinda lazy, but in retrospect, it makes sense why they need help and give you purpose... against Red Faction Gurrellia... I mean, come on guys, whole planet hate's EDF, your everywhere, blow some stuff up on your own! DON'T WAIT FOR MASON! They agree that if you help them, they'll help ya find the probe and save your dimension.

OK, you get into the game and there are some pretty cool mechanics; the title is treated as one of the earliest adoptions of an open world game. You have a radar or map, you find guns, collect gear and stuff from the world and bring it to a smith for him or her to forge you ammo or health packs. There's a very rough but elementary stealth system, the need for tactic from fighting head on, running and taking out groups of enemies is needed here. If you charge in blindly without a plan or method to attack and kill them quickly, you'll hit game over before you finish your first quest. You have a chance, multiple chances, to make your enemies weaker by cutting off their food supplies, blowing up their weapons to leave them defenseless, all that stuff. The more ya help the people too, the more forgiving of you they'll be if you screw up and they more rewarding of stuff they'll give ya to survive.

It's a not so buried title since it has an HD remake that's not only cleaned up in terms of re-textured and re-modeled models with their worlds and an easier Gui to use, IT SUPPORTS WIDE SCREEN!!! The original Outcast came out years ago when we we're rocking CRT computer screens, which is fine since that is what all folks gamed on years ago, but if your gonna do a sexy HD remake, go the full 9 miles and give us an awesome widescreen support.

Ya can pick up this title on Gog or Steam.

...and I'm sorry I don't have anything more obscure, DOING THIS TOPIC IS HARD!.... I mean really hard! Trying to find games that are playable! Good ones and all I can find are a sea of bad ones and I swore off being the next AVGN, you want bad games? Lodge you're requests at him!

Old September 19th, 2018 (3:05 PM).

Beyond the Beyond
                        Developed by Camelot
                        PS1

Before I got looking again and explaining this title, I want shed a little more light on the Developer.
                        Obscure gamers, ya boot up you copy of Golden Sun, you should see the developer Camelot; the geniuses behind the BRILLIANT Golden Sun Games! ((Heard someone encased their CARTRIDGE BOARDS IN A SOLID GOLD HOUSING FOR THE GAME ITS- *I am smacked for terrible rumors*)) Observing Camelot, I wondered if they did any other awesome RPG's... And they kinda did for a while before Gold Sun. They also developed a Handful of RPG's on the Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Sega CD, Sega Game Gear and only 1 RPG on the PS1, which is what I'm posting today.

You may also ask, WHAT KIND OF RPG'S DID THEY MAKE BESIDES YOUR FAVORITE GOLDEN SUN GAME BOY ADVANCE RPG, A MUST HAVE AND CROWNING ACHIEVEMENT IN YOUR HANDHELD COLLECTION?! A bunch of Fire Emblem Clones and one rough Suikoden Clone. And they're... Sub... Par..-ish.

If anyone remembers 'Shining Force,' that was a game that was developed by Camelot, though it's not as much as an obscure game because you can pick it up over on nearly any Sega Collection release on the PC or Game Boy Advance and up. Don't get me wrong, I love Shining Force as well, but they developed SO MANY sequels under Sega for it, 2-3 of them we'll never be able to pick up to play such as Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict, Shining Force 3 or Shining Force CD... Granted, you have emulation, but noone's perfected Sega Saturn emulation due to the anti-piracy locks surrounding the consoles everything so SF 3 can't really be 'pirated' or purchased properly without loosing an arm or leg. The same goes for the Last 2, however depending your views on Emulation and if Nintendo allows Gaiden to be played on the 3DS shop, you'll get a chance at it.

The last RPG under Sega's name they released was Shining Force 3; from there they went on to develop games under Nintendo; MOSTLY MARIO SPORT GAMES SUCH AS MARIO TENNIS AND GOLF!!!.... Until Golden Sun!.... And then a bunch or Sports games afterwards until today; Their latest one being Mario Tennis for your Nintendo switch.

Anyway, back to Beyond the Beyond!
                        It's sort of a Standard RPG with puzzle elements. There's nothing special about it with the exception of Combat and some of the puzzles look like a precursor to Golden Sun. In Battles, your fighting target's is more group based than attacking a single target per character and and the game has been described as 'difficult to beat.' Such as the 80's curse of making games too hard to pad the games length to get your money's worth vs. actual content you get.... HOW IZ THAT POSSI- Alright, In the battles, you got 2 Stats, Vitality and life points. Vitality is your basic, bare bone HP stat, you have it, you live to fight; you lose all of it, the some of your 'Life Points' get subtracted and heal your Vitality Points; when this happens though, that character looses a turn or chance to attack... Which becomes an issue when you have monsters faster than you one shooting you until game over and grinding is tedious in this title.... THAT ASIDE, for an early PS1 game, the game does ahve some beauty to their maps, they are mostly standard RPG tilesets reused a lot, but they attempt to use the PS1's ability to warp some of the dungeons with 3D effects to give asense of depth or immersion of where your at; which you may need to watch an online video of a full play through of the game to get a grasp of what that is or even remotely understand what I'm talking about. If it makes any RPG folks also feel better, there are no bosses mid games, when you enter dungeons and plundewr it fully, there is no big bad to fight you until the end of the game at the true FINAL BOSS! Which considering how hard it is to level, it's kind of a blessing in disguise in a rough sense, your breaking from a norm, but in order to balance the game's battle system... Kind of sad for folks like me that like good boss fights in RPG's like this. The counter though to that is THE BATTLE BACKDROPS ARE AWESOME AND REMINISCENT OF THE FUTURE GOLDEN SUN PROJECT... AND SUIKODEN!

Aside from the odd combat, the stats are straight forward and if you like Dragon Quest, you'll be able to pick this up and feel right at home.

As for the Story? The story isn't a lot to write home about; You play as a teenager, training to be a knight after the death of your mother and discover you are apart of a prophecy to bring balance to the world after Warlocks and Mages from the underground begin something to try and reclaim the surface from the 'beings of light' being the humans and people living on the surface than underground... Aside from that last bit being slightly interesting, that's about it as far as basic story lines go; you go on an adventure, meet friends, build a party, learn about them, love them and hate them all the way to the end and 'beyond.' And yes, I am aware of people groaning at these terrible jokes.

The entire game Feels like a REALLY GOOD RPG being stuck between a rock, a cinder brick and a playstation 1; more like an expiremental game to pave the way for future projects or a 'PRE-GOLDEN SUN EXPIREMENT TO SEE IF WE CAN DO AWESOME STUFF' because some of the stuff in Beyond the Beyond, I remember seeing and playing through in Golden Sun from similarish puzzles to how the battles we're setup. This was more or less a project for what comic book writers, artist's, game developers and so on do; they make it to prepare for their dream project. If not their dream project, at least to learn what they've made, learn from the mistrakes of the project and become more from it.... Or that's how I at least see it.

If I had to rate the game, it's a rough jewel like Ocean Horn. Unprocessed, hard and rough around the edges, a lot, but has a lot of potential to be something more.

... NEXT POST WILL BE ON SOME SHINING FORCE GAMES!!! Not 1 and 2 on the Sega Genesis; going to try and hunt down the 3rd LOST SHINING FORCE!!!.... Or do something on Phantasy star.

Old September 27th, 2018 (4:29 PM). Edited September 27th, 2018 by Quto.

Dear readers if there are any still left. This job may look easy to many and while it sort of is, it sort of isn't. I don't post as often here because it's still hard to dig into obscure 'GOOD' games or even playable titles. The next two title's; one of which I know folks have barely heard of and the other, you'd ahve to be on humble bundle or gog to acknowledge this title's existence..... There may come a point where I stop upkeeping with the list because game titles are roughly hard to come by that are good and while there is an indie crowd, most of the games out of the branch have done good stuff to the point where they don't really need a lot of attention, such as Cave Story and it's bajillion ports; so many port's that the fan's have tried to manifest it's destiny with Doom... In which it's destiny is being able to run on EVERYTHING!.... Other titles will be lost to memory and time from that crowd as well such as 'Ablurred line,' a sci-fi RPG made in RPG Maker which had a good story until it was cut-off out of interest or 'The Way' which it's creator has permanently removed all 6 episodes from his website on crestfallen games... Which if you got them before he took'em off, congrats, you got ahold of a digital copy to a huge and pretty spiffy RPG on built with the OLD RPG Maker engine.

I have my own dreams of developing a game based on a world of my design though as an adult, working the job I do, I may never see it. I get the time off to make it time to time. but never be able to put my ful heart into it due to my need to survive and keep up with fun stuff like this and my RP in the Roleplay Theater. I may post a topic on stuff I wrote on and may never continue on in the Writer's lounge....

Does this mean I'll stop the list? Eh.... Not... Really? It's getting harder and harder to list off good ones and dig through the Retro set and the new-aged set to see what get's everyones attention like Fortnite and Player Unknown Battle Grounds and what doesn't get enough attention to merit it's release, Such as WaveCrash, a fun puzzle fighter game that includes making waves and a title I have played while the gent's behind it setup a demo at Ohyacon.

Until then; Here are dem titles.

Altitude

There's nothing much to Altitude. It's basically a 2D shooter where you control a plane and jump into an arena to do various games together from 2D Dog-Fight's to lord knows what else such as capture the flag or destroy the base in Red Vs. Blue Matches. The Game is free on steam though there aren't any player's playing it right now or at all.... So why am I bringing up this dead title? Going through school and growing up as a kid who had unrestricted access to the internet, Steam was getting some stuff setup for their online shop and I didn't have a summer job yet or at all. I could only browse and play whatever valve gave away for free at the time and 'Altitude' was one of those games. I couldn't afford Team Fortress 2, or Half-Life 2... I couldn't even afford Portal or the first Half-Life! This was all when most of this stuff cost between $15-$50 and most of this was relatively new at the time and I understood nothing about torrents at the time, so I took what I could get for free.

And this title helped fulfill most of those night filled hours. The control's we're tight, it had enough game modes to satisfy my curiosity and it was a lot of fun; players who still played this dinosaur of a game we're fun to play with over the different modes and mods they made on their server's. If your a programmer waiting for stuff to compile and got nothing better to do, I recommend checking this title out and give a bot match a try. It's not no Crimson wings or Starwars or Galaga or R-type; but it's just mindless fun for the sake of being fun and free on steam.

Satellite Reign

OK, This title, it's developers had balls of Steel and Brass to do what they did and they get no recognition or credit, I don't think a lot of people know about this title.... I want to shed a little light on this beauty of an abandoned title.

The story behind Satellite Reign's Development was that it was a kickstarter project, crowd-funded. The developers made several promises about the game if they could meet their goal. Sadly, they never did meet their goal of what they needed... So they did what most people never thought they would do.

They developed the game anyway.

9.9 times out of 10, you see a kickstarter project try to take off and if it's a game that doesn't have funding, it flop's and either never releases or we get a jagged ended release of what the developers promised.... In most of the cases I've seen; I'll admit I'm wrong if that's not the case, but this one stands out above that because they did more than develop the game; they finished it.

No loose end's, no major bugs I'm aware of, no missing models or graphics, they took what they got from kickstarter and built the project in full including all of the promised features, including features they promised in stretch goals. They released it for free grabs on Humble Bundle even to get things rolling to show the game existed and even allowed folks to play it for free! DRM free-ness, no steam, no other clients.... For a time. It's now on sale at a regular price and can still be bought from Steam, Gog and even Humble Bundle.

What is the game like? Take Blade Runner; the first good Sci-Fi flick and merge it with a Co-Op Xcom Enemy Unknown while eliminating the need for turns and make it a full-action like MOBA Like League of Legends or Dota 2... And I've played through it. As odd as a combination as it is, it doesn't deserve the treatment it sounds like it deserve's. Palying single player is a pain, but the feel of the world, the characters you control for your own means and the whole open-world feel of it; targeting who you want to target as a group, puling off cyber-punk sci-fi heist's like the Major from Ghost in the Shell or Tron or rather a program from Tron going rouge just to kick ass. It's actually a lot of fun. If you can get 3 other friends to join you, one each to control a unit and it's spedcial abilities, the game's fun factor really opens up; you plan your movements together and strike when you need too and retreat to reconvene at a bar or back alley when the heat is on and the police both authority and corporate begin to hunt your hides down as you plan to overthrow them and dominate the city..... It's actually kind of awesome!

There isn't much to the story other than your a company or group of badasses who come into possession of conscience-transferring-body-jacking and cloning technology where you want to use this technology for corporate espionage for domination of the city and you use this to your advantage. Hiring scientists to help build better gear, research this technology more, finding specimens to splice their DNA strong points into your clones to do more better and awesome things such as taking more hit's from bullets or hacking computers faster or reduce the recoil of weapons.

It get's deeper in depth, but the rest, I want to leave to you gents and lass's, the player's. IF you find a vid of it and then play it; Ya either like it or hate it, but I at least give my respect's to the developer stating that this was their dream, something they wanted to make and publish; even if they didn't have the funds... And they succeeded... I want to at least give them some recognition for their efforts.

Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:17 PM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by Quto.

Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
                            NES

OK, When I couldn't find many Abandoned, unheard of game gems from 16-bits and up such as the wonderful SNES and Sega Genesis.... and an ocean of Dream Cast games. I instead went looking into the 8-bit library of games and started looking further back until I came across this gem.... Before anyone ask's, this game at retail in used shops today is over $100. → A NES game you better be able to pay with that $20 subscription fee you give to nintendo for your online gaming on the switch. Sadly you can't, So I took my chance's to play the game like the rest of the internet because nintendo tends to ignore their fan base in order to explore NEW AVENUES OF GAMING! SUPER MARIO PARTY WITH WAGGLING JOY CONS AND MULTI-SWITCH SUPPORT! *Insert excited japanese kid going 'OOOOOOOOOH' here*

Getting to business, what is this title? It's..... How do I describe it... If Monkey Island went to japan in order to try and start a family with the game Deja Vu, but instead with Dark Gate and tried to raise it's kid to eat other varieties other than vegetables before abandoning this family to move back to the USA, bringing this kid with it... I don't know how else to describe it.

The game, based on it's title, sounds like a little girls game and RPG mixed into one, but that's not the case. There is no RPG element in this title nor is there a back-up save battery to save the ram. This is basically an adventure game where your actions of that you can do in a scene are limited to simple button pushes, such as look, move, give, dump, talk, check and so on. An Example, you meet a dying melon child in the road. 'CHECK' him to discover he needs water. Got to a lake and 'TAKE' the lake to get 'WATER' in your inventory and take it back to that child and 'GIVE' water. The game assumes what you want to do and will save the kids life... So in terms of puzzles, put two and two together, the game will fill up the rest.
                            "Well, that's all well and good, but is there even any fighting?" You might ask.... and there is. There are several sections where you do fight an 'encounter' with another vegetable or fruit like the colorful character on the box art; though battles aren't what you think they are; they are just 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' and you gotta guess where your opponent is going to look, up, down, left or right and that's it.

".....THAT'S IT?!?!?!?" Quite..... Though before you do a somersault of rage, the battles aren't the main focus of the game, it's the game's charm and story.

A prime example would be 'Earthbound.' A critically acclaimed game from Japan and back to the USA with fans of kids to grand-father's-mother's alike. The game has flaws such as the inventory, buying healing stuff in bulk, limited inventory and the puzzles requiring waiting among other items, but you over look all of those flaws with characters, monsters you fight toe to toe and other trippy experiences.

This title is the same way. The lands is riddled with 'Farmies' which are farmers who eat the 'vegetable' people, though they want to be carnivores, the kingdom was overthrown by 'minister pumpkin' who has stolen the magical precious turnip amulet to have his son marry princess tomato, your prince cucumber who was promised the princess to begin with, there are cherry birds and....it's just kinda silly, Everything is just silly in more ways than one and the game just has that whole charm about it! It know's it's ridiculous, but it's fun to play through and solve the puzzles to see and meet more of these characters to see how far out there their world goes. This game is sort of like a precursor to Earthbound and the Dragon Ball franchisee!

How does Dragon Ball fit in with this?..... Kakarrot and Carrot? Vegeta and Vegetable? In Dragon ball super, the Sayians original home world, if I recall correctly was Planet Salad.... WE NEED TO GET TEAM 4-STAR TO PLAY THIS!! DO A RENEGADE FOR LIFE ON THIS OR GOKU's GONNA SHOW YOU!

Next title is from a Sega Genesis title..... And it's from a Copyright-themed franchise like Mickey Mouse, but this one is unique in the sense of how it was made and the big question of why wasn't it on PC...

Old 2 Weeks Ago (9:36 PM).

Scooby Doo Mystery
                              Sega Genisis

Time for another 'commercial game' with an interesting spin. In the back of the world, buried under a box of Sega Genesis Cartridges, being sold at your local yard sale or Flea Market for $5.

Scooby Doo, A crime solving dog with the 80's where they had to compete Speed buggy and that one other one that was a band with the Shark doing the same but with more slap-shtick where the budget with the show was the equivalent of a sandwich which you can pick up from the creepy guy on the block who you don't make eye contact with, you pay him that $2 for a sandwich... Because it's a really good sandwich... The secret is garlic aoilli....

And has survived the test of time in more ways than one. I mean, we already got Scooby Doo merchandise from sleeping bags, to fruit snacks, to a revised and respun TV show with more iterations than you can rot your mind over and of course, video games... There are just a ton of Scooby Doo games, some do well in becoming pointless collect-a-thons, some do ok with get from point A to B in a level in platforming and others are just.... What was the thought process? Scooby Doo on the SNES treated like an Arcade game? Only big enough for 2 mysteries!? Why?! And Scooby Doo on the N64 after you cheat your way to chapter 3 and discover the Volcano room has no fraking light and is so pitch black, you think it was black to save memory space on a room they NEVER BOTHERED TO TEXTURE AND MAKE THE GAME DIFFERENT?! COME ON! THAT'S LAZY PROGRAMMING!

Then you have this gem where the folks at Acclaim and Sunsoft did an iteration in the sense to make it about solving a mystery from the cartoon show.

And to be honest, I'm actually generally surprised. The whole game is basically a point and click title where you take the time to solve a basic mystery, just like out of the TV show... Almost. The puzzles are complex and unless you have a rough idea how to get around or where to click, you'll be busy trying to figure things out, like you would in Sam and Max hit the road. Though I would give this title a slide on puzzle difficulty since given the time period, all games here were difficult.

The game contains only 2 mysteries and given the memory size on a Sega Genesis Cartridge with no save feature, that's all you'll really get. The mysteries take place at a Hotel in the Mountains and a Carnival... Which I'm kinda sick of, I get that Carnivals are creepy and easy to squeeze jokes into this franchise to where it's a staple, but it get's tiring in my opinion... MOVING ON! How do you interact with a game like this? Well, it's got an interact mode and an explore mode. You 'explore' by moving Shaggy around using the D-pad and Scooby follows up behind you. Press a button to go to interact and your cursor is brought up, which you can use to pick up and steal items, find clues and use them in general puzzle solving to advance the game. After some general experimentation, you get use to it.

I don't have much else to say about this title except that it's using a Scumm Engine layout.... Which, to put into terms for people who don't wanna google it or are too lazy, it was an engine you could make point and click games on, it's outdated today but it was incredibly popular among game companies back then who had the time to make the art and the hit boxes for game titles such as Monkey Island and the Indiana Jone's PC games. If you want to run this game through Scumm VM, you won't get far since though this game uses an engine like it, it's another system they don't want to compile and stack ontop of this one. No offense or hard feelings to them, since your talking about re-purposing an old outdated game engine for newer and newer machines to be able to play these outside of their normal platforms and adding a Sega genisis game or taking the game apart to rip the graphics and put it into a newer system is a lot of work that can take month's to years to pull off. Your better off getting the Sega mouse to use with this title or better yet, see if there is a Sega Emulator that support and will allow your mouse to be used as a Sega Mouse Add-on... Which if you prefer to use a regular mouse, and can't afford one which I can 100% understand, I would recommend piracy of some form.

Now if only someone would take the time to do a remix of Hello Cyberdream from scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:11 PM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by Hakumen.
                              ……推して参る。

Nature: Adamant

Aight, so I don't know about the rest of you guys. But WAAAY back in the PS2 days, I was a big fan of the older arcade games. So you know I had to nab the Sega Classics. Fantasy Zone was a secret gem that I could not have expected to be as good as it was. It was like...the most childish shmup you could get, but it was the most fun shmup I had ever played at the time. The game is GREAT. And back in the 80s when it dropped, it was great. Great difficulty curve? Check. A in-game SHOP? With crazy upgrades? Check. Wonderful visuals and sound? Check. What more did you need?

...Unfortunately, arcade games at the time were pretty much flying under the radar, despite a LOT of them being good. So not a lot of people outside Japan even knew about this game, even though in Japan it was MAD successful. But blessed be anyone with access to...well, ANY console that connects to the internet, since it's been ported to like a gajillion consoles. Pretty sure you can get it for like $5 on the Virtual Console. I can't say it aged well, but it's some really good fun for the low.

我わ空 我わ杲 我わ甚 我わ非と不離の剣に手 全ての罪を刈り取り 悪を滅 我がなをハクメン 押して参る!!

Quick Reply