• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Reputation (Taylor Swift)

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
Taylor Swift fans around the world have been sent into a frenzy over the last few days. On Friday 18th August - three years to the day that Taylor Swift's last album 1989 was announced and first single Shake It Off was released, Taylor Swift's social media was blacked out. All her Instagram photos were deleted, her Facebook page emptied of content, her Tumblr and Twitter stripped bare, and DPs on all social media channels removed. Her website also literally blacked out, loading a black page.

Normally releasing an album every two years, Taylor Swift broke from tradition last year in not releasing an album and wanted to take some time off to essentially give people a break from her before she came back with new music, and fans are expecting new music to be announced very, very soon.

There's been speculation of a GMA performance in a week and a half, of a VMA performance, of a single dropping alongside the eclipse, of the album being called Eclipse... TS fans, what are your thoughts? How do you feel? Am I the only one listening to all the TS songs in hype?!

Charlie Brown

Years
Sneaky bump because Reputation is coming! First single coming tomorrow night, get excitedddd

0823-taylor-swift-cover-1.jpg

Love the cover - half of her face is covered with the tabloid headlines (i.e. what people say about her or what the media portrays) but the other half, the side with the album title on it, is pure and clean - the true and pure side.

Hoping it's not just an album of clapbacks but something more mature, but regardless so excited omfgggggg

Last edited:

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
AAAAAAHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHH BEEN WAITING FOR THIS I HOPE IT'S GOOD. #ridethenarrative

Charlie Brown

Years

yeeeeboiiiii

My first reaction was just "uhh.....". Liked certain parts, loved the hook and "the old Taylor can't come to the phone right now. Why? Oh, cos she's dead" part (fireeeee) but really didn't like the chorus, but I told myself it'll grow on me like her first singles always do (cough shake it off cough)

By the second listen I was grooving along to it in my car and now I am in love with it, fuaaaaaa so good. Liking the new sound, though I will miss sweet Taylor, I think it's important that her sound (and her as an artist) evolved. So keen for the music video (which is being teased on GMA sometime soon i think?)

edit literally 5 minutes later, here's the music vid teaser!!! https://www.facebook.com/TaylorSwift/videos/vb.19614945368/10154981012185369/?type=2&theater so excited, it looks mental fuaaa

Last edited:
Years
Why is everyone making such a big deal of "three years to the day"? Everywhere and everything that's talked about this has mentioned it.

Charlie Brown

Years
Why is everyone making such a big deal of "three years to the day"? Everywhere and everything that's talked about this has mentioned it.

I remember initial reports were that Taylor deleted her social media to show solidarity for abuse victims after her court trial, and there were other reports that she was hacked - but it happening on the 3rd anniversary of her announcing 1989 and Shake It Off hinted that it was a new release coming.

That and it was just cool that the 1989 era lasted exactly three years.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Is this the right thread to critique the album?

I listened to Look What You Made Me Do, and in my opinion it was awful. I dont listen to pop, nor to I like the genre, but I can think of so many better pop songs.

First, this whole "new Taylor" and "old Taylor is dead" thing is ridiculous. The song just plain failed to convince me that there was a "new Taylor" because:

1) The pop genre shows emotion through lyrics and voice (as opposed to instruments in other genres), and I did not feel any sense of frustration or emotion that would justify becoming a "new Taylor"

2) The lyrics were cheesy. Just listen to the line about the "old taylor" being dead. Its less "I have a changed" and more "I'm the same person just trying to be edgy"

3) Somewhat similar to #2... The song was trying to be edgy and it just was not.

4) The chorus is just the generic "title repeated a bunch of times" thats seen in a billion other songs.

5) Actually more positive, I thought the bridge to the chorus was actually pretty good. It did a great job of leading the listener on into the chorus... just too bad I think the chorus is underwhelming.

Im glad the song is more original compared to other pop songs (and i suppose some of her own songs too) in terms of attempting to do something more than just provide a catchy song to listen to. I just dont think it was effective at achieving this purpose.

Last edited:

Charlie Brown

Years
One thing about the "old Taylor is dead" part - it's particularly about how Taylor is done taking shit from people. These tweets that Taylor liked explain it better than I can.

Also also @ the sound of the song - Taylor encouraged Ed Sheeran to release his most different song from his new album/s as the lead single -- fans will like it anyway, and releasing something different is a chance to show off a new sound and attract a new audience. It's what she's done in the past as well (We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together & Shake It Off were both very different to what she had done previously, and also very different to the rest of the songs on the album). Generally these 'most different' songs are among the weaker ones on the album and I have a feeling it'll be the same with Reputation - releasing a single that is very different and will get people talking (and divide people) before releasing something more classic and less divisive, is how I see it going. We saw it with 1989 where Shake It Off was the first single and Blank Space was the second.

Also I think we'll see at the VMAs when the video is launched, how serious or how satirical (or both) the song is. atm there's just talk but I think the video will cement what angle it's coming from.

Aaaand finally (sry not sry I have a lot of thoughts) read this which I thought was super interesting:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Yeah, I kinda got the impression that the "the old Taylor is dead" part was sort of tongue in cheek. I mean she's 27, I doubt she's seriously trying to give us myspace bio realness.

I'm sort of in two minds about the song. I don't dislike the abrupt chorus, but I love the verses so I wish it was closer in sound to them. Still enjoyed it though, can't wait for the album.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Also also @ the sound of the song - Taylor encouraged Ed Sheeran to release his most different song from his new album/s as the lead single -- fans will like it anyway, and releasing something different is a chance to show off a new sound and attract a new audience. It's what she's done in the past as well (We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together & Shake It Off were both very different to what she had done previously, and also very different to the rest of the songs on the album). Generally these 'most different' songs are among the weaker ones on the album and I have a feeling it'll be the same with Reputation - releasing a single that is very different and will get people talking (and divide people) before releasing something more classic and less divisive, is how I see it going. We saw it with 1989 where Shake It Off was the first single and Blank Space was the second.

Spoiler:

Addressing the spoiler and your what you said before it- thats actually a brilliant marketing technique lol. Props to her on that!

On the satire thing, I'm not sure how I feel about that. At least there seems to be more meaning than what I originally thought, but generally when you listen/read/watch anything satirical, you know its satirical despite it being somewhat realistic. Satires are almost kinda believable, and thats what helps make them satirical. I did not get a satire vibe from the song and it seems to be too serious.

However, like you said, we have to wait until more info is released before we can actually know.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
First of all, I must note the irony that was my requirement to watch a Cover Girl ad featuring Katy Perry before I could listen to Taylor's new song. Hahaha

And the song seems fine to me at the moment. I don't immediately love it or hate it, which is also how I felt about Shake it Off. I did love Blank Space(and a number of others from 1989) however, so I'll see if the pattern continues when we finally get to listen to the whole album.

Last edited:

Charlie Brown

Years

omfgggggggg LOVEEEEE

All those different references to previous videos omg i am dead. The last 30s is the best 100% "stop playing the victim" "i wish to be excluded from this narrative" omfg fKKK taylor you give me life. this is what we needed.

On the satire thing, I'm not sure how I feel about that. At least there seems to be more meaning than what I originally thought, but generally when you listen/read/watch anything satirical, you know its satirical despite it being somewhat realistic. Satires are almost kinda believable, and thats what helps make them satirical. I did not get a satire vibe from the song and it seems to be too serious.

However, like you said, we have to wait until more info is released before we can actually know.

Definitely understand! compared to Blank Space which was also v satirical, that song was a lot more obviously satirical than LWYMMD. though maybe tongue-in-cheek is a better phrase to use than satirical (esp after the video)

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Okay, now that was awesome. I like it a lot better with the video now. Perhaps because I had forgotten how much I enjoyed watching new Taylor Swift videos.

It also appears that this is the "most expensive music video ever made" that was rumoured a few months ago. At least, assuming the car and plane were both destroyed as they seem to have been. =O

All those different references to previous videos omg i am dead. The last 30s is the best 100% "stop playing the victim" "i wish to be excluded from this narrative" omfg fKKK taylor you give me life. this is what we needed.
I couldn't summarize it any better. Those last few seconds were superb. If we didn't already know she was making fun of herself, that cemented it in place.

Charlie Brown

Years
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/11/16457984/taylor-swift-the-swift-life-app-announcement-video-glu

Taylor Swift is launching an app, "The Swift Life", later this year. It's essentially a social media app for T-Swift fans, so would combine her fanbases from across Tumblr, Instagram and Twitter in one place. Taylor already engages with fans heaps (liking Tumblr and Instagram posts, replying to comments, she's even been attending people's Instagram Live videos and visiting fans recently) so this is the next step for her in engaging with her fans.

Really keen about this! It'll be nice to have a space where Taylor fans can all come together and spread the hype lol.

--

Also only four weeks until Reputation's release! Hoping we get another promotional single or the second single about a week or two before the album's release :D

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I just wanted to drop in and say I am ridiculously excited for this and I love Taylor Swift to death.

I really, REALLY want to see another promotional single - honestly I want two or more. Both to hear more of this surely brilliant album and to get a few quick top 10 or top 5 hits for her image, because I want her to break a few (more) records this time around.

I also want this to be really successful, but if it's a repeat of Speak Now's chart success and has to fight Eminem a bit too, I won't be disappointed or anything. Just give me some new Taylor music for my fall season and I'll be snug as a bug on a pug in a rug.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022

Second half of the song is beautifulllll first half is growing on me

huh... I thought T-Swift was a guitarist. This has no guitar? And neither did Look what u made me do. Is this new for her? I mean, I totally support stylistic change and growth. This is almost electronic music with lyrical melody at the forefront.

Back