• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to translate the game quicker?

hirokimura

Miltank's Fanboy Number One
Years
Hello fellows !
Well, I'm making a pokemon game with essentials, like lot of people there. I somehow have some issues with translating.
I'm gathering a team of people who would work with me, but they tell me I have to translate the game for them to be able to. I want a game that would be for both english and french players, but my team is french speaking.
Problem is, editing this line per line would take me life literally.
Do you have a way to edit the compilated text quickly? Cuz I'm doing this alone and I'm lost in the darkness.
Thank you for the answers ^^

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 19, 2023
Translating the game is supposed to be the very last thing to do (that is what the wiki states). You could translate the base Essentials in French and then share it with your team; but once your game will be finished, you might very well have to translate it entirely once again.
As for the process, I do not really see other options than editing line per line. You could maybe find another game which has been translated in French already. If you are somewhat perfectionist, translating the game yourself is probably the most reliable strategy anyway. Editing line per line is certainly boring, but it should not take you more than +-10 hours.

Years
Writing a program that reads line from the intl.txt, writes it in the output file, asks you to translate this file, and then writes the translation to the output file seems OK to me. Add some exceptions (like the lines starting with '[' are not needed to translate), put some features...
The problem, it is still a huge task. There is 27k of lines in Essentials out-of-package, not all of them are for game. Some of them for editor.

Last edited:

hirokimura

Years
Hey thanks for the answers.
Well, there isn't any way to translate it quickly then. I can't write a program, and I didn't find any game that translated with sharing the access to the data file x_x
I wanted at least to have moves, common phrases and pokemon names in French, but that will be hard.
27k lines will be loong x_x
I'm still open for answers if someone has them.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
If you want to translate a whole game, you have to put in equally as much effort. It?s that simple.

Last edited:

hirokimura

Years
I agree, It wouldn't set any problem if it was actually the only thing I had to do, but doing mapping, spriting and this is hard to do so I thought I could at least make it quicker.

Yotes

GameDev
Years
A workaround for you could be to write out ALL the text yourself in a Google Spreadsheet and leave open columns with space to translate each speech bubble into any language you want. Then when it comes time to putting it all into the game, do some copy/pasting from the spreadsheet.

Basically, do the translating outside of essentials, then bring it back into the game once it's all translated the way you want.

Back