• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ROM Hack] Use every Pokémon & beat every game | A completist's journey

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 16, 2020
A premise: this started as a challenge, and it still is; so I asked the mods where to post about it and got directions. I do think it's fitting, since I realized mine is a journey through all generations, fan production and the creatures that give name to the franchise. This is journey is, however, from the POV of a player, an IRL person (me, duh) and not an in-game character.
I'm opening a single thread in hope to not clutter the section since at this time I'm 35 playthroughs in and >40 to come.

Use every Pokémon & beat every game
A journey through all the available PKMN game experience

I've been playing Pokémon since the very start of the franchise. I was one of those children with the first heavy gameboy in hands, playing Red in the school's courtyard. I remember our whole >10 kids group assembling around a friend to finally witness the evolution of his Dragonair. After that, it came Gold, Crystal and then Ruby, which I played on my SP; Ruby was my last game as a kid.

Some years later, I got interested in fangaming and community creations (mods mainly) through a different franchise; some friends were re-playing White and I got curious about fakemons, fan designs etc. When I discovered that people were actually creating whole new games besides hacking the official ones I was astounded. Dove deep into it, downloaded WesleyFG's Light Platinum, played with just three starters as a joke, had mad fun and here I am.

Still, even if Pokémon to me is about relaxing, I felt I needed to add a spin if I wanted to enjoy the games even more, but as much as I enjoy reading nuzlockes I'm not fond of that challenge as a player (tried, didn't work). I'm not particularly interested in completing a dex either, nor in shiny hunting, but I do have a completist soul, so the collector in me started this challenge/experiment.
I'll try to play every Pokémon game I can find and use every pokémon existing, even if it's a nearly impossible task since new ones are constantly born with the new official releases and even beside them there's a world of fakemon waiting.

My clauses in detail:
  1. No utilizing the same pokémon twice
  2. Regional / delta / exclusive-to-game forms count as different pokémon from (and their use is prioritized over) their counterparts. When it comes to non official ones, their use is simply encouraged. Megaevolution and gigantamax forms are not required to consider pokémon utilized
  3. No legendaries (unless their use is intended by the authors as a plot element)
  4. Trying to use as many pokémon as felt are needed (no filling six slots for a 3-4 hours game, for example)

Bonus occasional challenges (color coded, pokémon from only one gen, monotype) are snuck in from time to time for added fun, while for the intents and purpose of the challenge, a game is completed by beating its final boss (Red, the Champion, the evil boss...) even if I always play the postgame too.

Cheating (Gameshark etc.) is something I avoid, with the occasional common sense-fueled exception (example: I've always wanted to use a Walrein, but in Hoenn you get a Spheal only when reaching the 7th medal goal, so in Luuma's excellent Altered Emerald I got myself a Spheal as a starter instead of one of the classic three. My reasoning behind it was that if the game was willing to give me that murdermonster Swampert anyway, it wouldn't have been too unfair to get a water, autochthonous mon with roughly the same stats).

I'll also try to give my impression about the games themselves and my experience with the implications of my clauses, which of course start exerting a toll only after a while.

---

1) Pokémon Zeta

tumblr_inline_px72d6gYFP1s9lt14_500.png

If Light Platinum showed me the world, Zeta made me fall in love with it. The notion of a 2-regions game created by fans from scratch with this quality level, that creative, with a plot full of twists and a great difficulty level was something completely new for me. As LunarDusk himself puts it, a classic. Loved almost every single gym.

Took Horsea as a starter, received Magby, who transformed in an incredible special attack cannoneer, had a superb staller in Venusaur, an obvious wall in Steelix and two fast guns in the ghost and the luchador. This team held up great through all game, being put to the test by both gyms and sigil halls (featured trope: TheComputerIsACheatingBastard) all the way to to the 120th level. Looking behind I can see I made the choice of mainly sticking with pokémon I knew…

When the Aroma plot starts and quarantine forces you to leave your old team behind, I decided to go for a Fighting monotype and try Heracross' mega (not too fond of it). Of course the first new gym turned out to be Flying-type. Pangoro and Toxicroak, who were new to me, were a great surprise. The time for poor Hitmontop hasn't come to this day.

Years
Hi,

one of my goals that I've been trying to finish on the background of all my runs is to use every Pokémon at least once. So, good luck with that.

But please don't forget on our rule of one thread for one run only.

Back