• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Journey [PG-13]

Meta-Morph

A Mysterious Person Appeared!
Years
*sighs*

PTR THINKS, not knows, BUT THINKS that Pokemon hate the Poke Ball.

In some ways they are right, but usually wrong.

Onix, Steelix and other gargantuan Pokemon are exceptions, STAY IN THE POKE BALL YOU MUST! Anything over 7 feet classifies as this.

Battling in Pokeworld is a mess. Some Pokemon die battling. So, PTR made an amendment that all battles must have a supervisor and not much blood is shed. Everything else stays the same, basically, like money, badges, etc.

Years
PTR THINKS, not knows, BUT THINKS that Pokemon hate the Poke Ball.

In some ways they are right, but usually wrong.

So they think that pokémon find pokéballs annoying, but they somehow know that battling - which is obviously violent - is something they enjoy? And no one contests this?

Onix, Steelix and other gargantuan Pokemon are exceptions, STAY IN THE POKE BALL YOU MUST! Anything over 7 feet classifies as this.

So onix and steelix and other big pokémon are allowed to be 'tortured' by these devices? What about water pokémon? Should they be kept out everywhere? How are they supposed to cross the ground? What about firepokémon when it rains? They're just supposed to hide somewhere until it goes away? What about crossing the seas? Should all pokémon just climb on top of that one poor water pokémon who carries them?

Battling in Pokeworld is a mess. Some Pokemon die battling. So, PTR made an amendment that all battles must have a supervisor and not much blood is shed. Everything else stays the same, basically, like money, badges, etc.

What? So, battling, which has proved to kill pokémon, is fine, but harmless pokéballs are not? What kind of rights group is this PTR? O_O

Also, how could everything stay the same? Very few people can actually train pokémon, so money should be limited and gyms should be closing down. A lot of things would change, some of which I already mentioned earlier.

Really, though, if you have to explain things like this to me outside of the story, then it's not clear what you're trying to do. If the entire world is so very different, then you should show us this. As of now I didn't have a clue that was the case. (In fact, I'm somewhat of the opinion that you're doing this to cover up the plot holes you had earlier. Don't do that, just rewrite it. If that isn't the case, then please ignore.)

Meta-Morph

Years
Chapter 2

(Alrighty then, let's start the adventure!!1)

- CHAPTER 2 -

After Oak let me into his mansion, I walked down a different hallway than before.

After some twists and turns, we eventually got to a bright-lighted laboratory that nearly blinded me as Oak told me to sit down on a stool, which I did.

"So, are you sure about this?" Oak asked.

"I'm sure. When do I start?" I said, eager to leave Pallet Town once and for all. I hated this place, moving to this town was a nightmare for me.

"Well, I need to explain some stuff to you," Oak said, as he pulled a book from a nearby shelf of books that looked very old.

"Wait, why am I-,"

"You're my Field Assistant, remember? You need to know more about Pokemon than the average Trainer." Oak explained, cutting me off.

And so that was how Oak explained many things about Pokemon to me, like why they evolve, why they battle, and why they like Humans. I learned a lot about Pokemon I never would have dreamed, and then when he was finished it was sunrise.

"I think you know enough by now," Oak yawned, as he placed the book back onto its original spot.

He then motioned me to walk towards a table that held a lone Poke Ball that had a orange capitalized C on it.

"Charmander's Poke Ball?" I asked, as Oak nodded and said "Please, open it."

I cautiously picked up the Poke Ball and then aimed it on the ground, as I pushed the button.

Once I did, the ball instantly opened, and a bright flash of light came shooting out, and once the light was gone a sleepy Charmander was left, and the Poke Ball closed.

"Charmander?" Charmander yawned, and once he saw me he smiled. "Charmander!"

"Hey, remember me?" I said. I must've sounded stupid, because Charmander rolled his eyes and nodded. I have to remember some Pokemon are just as smart or smarter than Humans...

"Do you want to give him a nickname?" Oak asked me, as I was startled out of my thoughts.

"A what?" I asked, confused.

"A nickname, some Trainers give Pokemon nicknames to prevent confusion if another Trainer has the same kind of Pokemon. It also makes Pokemon feel special, like they are an individual," Oak explained, and I could hear the exasperation in his voice. Looks like I was getting him tired....

"Oh, um sure," I looked back at Charmander and he looked back at me with his blue eyes.

We stared at each other for a bit as I thought up of a nickname, and Oak decided to clean up his lab as I thought.

And then I picked a nickname for him.

"Zeke," I said, startling Oak as he nearly dropped a vial of some unknown liquid.

"May I ask why..?" Oak said, as he began cleaning but this time more aware of my voice.

"It's the name of someone I knew...," I said, as I didn't want to talk about it.

"Oh? Who?"

"Just a friend...what do I do next?"

"Oh well, hold on let me give you some stuff...," Oak said, as he disappeared deeper into the lab, as I turned back to Charmander err Zeke.

"So how do you like your new name?" I asked.

"Char Charmander!" Zeke said, as I guessed he liked it, or accepted his new name.

After that there was a bit of awkward silence until Oak came back with some weird crap in his hands.

"What the hell is that?" I asked, as he pulled out some sort of weird device.

"I'll explain all the items I have right now. The red item is the Poke Dex, a handheld digital encyclopedia that tells you everything you need to know about Pokemon! It records all of which you have caught, seen, and gives you more in-depth information on them once you've captured a certain species of Pokemon!

"The blue device is something you're familiar with, it's called PokeGear! A revolutionary device that allows you to call anyone anywhere without going to a PC! It also has a map inside that tells you all about that certain area ou're in.

"This bag is called a Messenger Bag. It's for holding any items you take.

"And finally, Potions and Poke Balls, so you have everything a Assistant should need!" Oak finished, out of breath. I'm worried that he's gonna he's give himself a heart attack one day...

"Um, err thanks....," I said, as I took the items and looked at them one by one.

The Poke Dex had two screens, a visual screen and a touch screen on the bottom. I decided to test it out on Zeke.

Spr_4h_004.png

- #004, CHARMANDER, THE LIZARD POKEMON -
- BASIC FORM, FIRST OF EVOLUTIONARY LINE -
- FIRST DISCOVERED BY PROF. OAK -
- FIRE-TYPE -
- EGG GROUPS: MONSTER, DRAGON -
- HEIGHT: 2'00", WEIGHT: 18.7 POUNDS -
- FIRST OBTAINED 4/6/10 -
- ENTRY WRITTEN BY PROF. OAK: -
- "The flame on its tail indicates Charmander's life force. If it is healthy, the flame burns brightly." -​

"Pretty cool," I said, as Oak beamed proudly.

Then I checked the PokeGear, which I already knew how it worked.

It was made by Silph Co. like the Poke Dex, except it was blue but also had two screens, a visual and a touch screen just like the Poke Dex. They both came with pens on the side of them...

The messenger bag was silver, and it was a black Poke Ball symbol on it. It had a lot of pockets, and it was pretty spacious.

The Potions and Poke Balls looked like any other Potion or Poke Ball, and I counted five of both. The Potions were purple spray-bottles, and the Poke Balls were well, Poke Balls.

"So, what should I do now?" I asked. It was dawn, and my parents wouldn't be up until 2 more hours I think. It was 6 AM.

"I think you should leave my lab and stop asking me questions! Leave Pallet Town, young Assistant!" Oak said, as he pushed me and Zeke out of the door, and soon of out the mansion and closed the door.

"Okaaaay....yeesh, what's his problem," I muttered, as Zeke followed me as I walked down Oak Hill.

I think I should head to Viridian City...yeah, I should.

And that's when I bumped into some random guy, and fell onto the rough path.

"AW DAMN!" I shouted, as I fell down.

"****! WATCH IT, DIP****!" the person yelled.

"Ouch...sorry dude," I said, but I was only greeted with a glare.

"Watch where you're going, dumbass. You're looking at the next Pokemon Master and IS THAT A CHARMANDER??!?!" the guy suddenly yelled, as I tried to get up he pushed me down again to get a better look at Zeke, who growled at him.

"Um, yeah, why-,"

"I KNEW GRANDPA WAS LYING WHEN HE SAID HE LOST IT!" the guy yelled, cutting me off. I had only met him for 1 minute, and already he was annoying me.

That was not a good sign.

"What're you talking about?" I said, as I finally got up.

"That Charmander was MY Charmander! Give it back!" the guy yelled, handing out his hand.

I looked at the guy like he was crazy. He was a teenager, probably just as old as me, and he sported blond hair and brown eyes. The guy looked a bit taller than me, but not by much.

"Are you ****ing kidding me? Hell no!" I said, trying to move away from him but he kept pestering me.

"That Charmander was meant to be mine, man. But I got a crappy Squirtle instead!" He shouted, as he grabbed me on the arm.

This guy is going to get his ass whooped in a minute, I swear.

"Tell ya what, if I win I get to keep that Pokemon and you can have this ****** Squirtle. If I lose, I'll let ya have it for free, since Gramps will give me another one anyway," The guy babbled, as I pulled his hand away from my arm.

"Number one, why would I battle you? And second, who's this 'Gramps'?!?" I asked.

"Oh, Gramps? You probably know him as Prof. Oak,"

That was uncalled for. My jaw dropped, literally I was paralyzed by this sudden revelation. How could Oak, someone so nice, have a grandson like this?!?!

"I'm Gary, you?" He asked.

"I'm Erik Walker, his Field Assistant,"

"Oh really? Sweet! You must be pretty good to be a Field Assistant. We should battle even more!" Gray shouted, as he laughed.

I know I said I wouldn't battle him, but he was seriously getting on my nerves I might actually do it.

"Charmander!" I looked behind me to see Zeke growling, and I suddenly realized this entire time he was probably growling at Gary.

"You want to fight him?" I asked, and Zeke nodded. That was a definite yes.

"Okay then, we accept your challenge." I said, as me and Zeke nodded together.

"GREAT! Let's get started now!" Gary said, excited as he went off somewhere.

Suddenly, I felt a bit nervous. If I lost, I could actually lose Zeke.

"No, I won't lose!" I told myself, as I waited for Gary to come back.

LATER....​

Gary came back within five minutes to find a referee, who turned out to be one of Oak's many assistants.

"Alright! The Trainers Erik Walker and Gary Oak please step forward!" the ref said, as we both did. We were both about 30 feet away from each other, the reasonable distance that allowed our Pokemon to battle without being to close to us. Even from this far away, I could see his stupid grinning face. The sky began to cloud over, as the sun was soon blocked by a dark cloud.

"Trainers, this battle is a one on one battle, neither of you may switch Pokemon. Once one Trainer's Pokemon has fainted, the other is declared the winner. Do you accept these conditions?" The Ref asked, looking at both of us.

"Yes." Gary said coolly.

"I accept." I said plainly.

"Good. Then you may...," He said, raising his blue and red flags, as we both readied our Poke Balls, "BEGIN!"

"Squirtle, let's do this!"

"Zeke, take him out!"

We both threw our Poke Balls on the ground, as our Poke Balls opened with a burst of light. When the light was gone, Zeke, and some light-blue turtle-like Pokemon was left, as our Poke Balls recoiled back into our hands.

I took out the Poke Dex to gain more information on Squirtle.

Spr_4h_007.png

- #007, SQUIRTLE THE TINY TURTLE POKEMON -
- WATER-TYPE -
- EGG GROUPS: MONSTER, WATER 1 -
- HEIGHT: 1'08" WEIGHT: 19.8 POUNDS -
- FIRST MET 4/6/10 -
- "The shell, which hardens soon after it is born, is resilient. If you poke it, it will bounce back out." -​

(Okay, it's a Water-Type....Fire vs. Water = Water wins. No, I can win this,) I thought.

"Alright! Squirtle, use Headbutt!" Gary yelled, as he caught me off guard.

Squirtle did as commanded, as it ran towards Zeke with a determined look on its face on its stubby legs.

"Zeke, use err...Oh wait, hold on," I said, as I got out the Poke Dex again to see what moves Zeke knew.

"Poke Dex: Known moves on Zeke please!" I said, as I put the Poke Dex on voice command.

"Inquiry: Zeke's known moves. Answer: Scratch, Ember, Smokescreen, Leer." The Poke Dex answered.

"Thanks! Zeke, use Smokescreen!" I yelled.

Zeke nodded, as he inhaled deeply, and then exhaled smoke, covering the battlefield with smoke, causing Squirtle to choke and blinding it as well.

"Use Scratch!" I commanded.

Zeke's eyes was immune to smoke, so he snuck up behind Squirtle and raised his claws, and raked them against it's shell. Instead of damage, Zeke squealed in pain, as Gary yelled "There's your chance! Water Gun!"

Squirtle responded quickly, as he inhaled, and then shot a jet of water at Zeke, sending him flying out of the smoke and onto my side of the field.

He looked at me, and then shot back up, even though he was obviously hurt.

(It's my fault,) I thought, (I should've told him to use Scratch on his head! Or his tail! Dammit!)

"Squirtle, Headbutt!" Gary yelled.

I had forgotten that the battle was still in session. Squirtle shot of the cloud of smoke, and rammed his head on Zeke's unprepared stomach, as Zeke's eyes bulged out as he was sent flying to me. Before he could go any further, I caught him in my arms. Zeke looked at me again, and this time his eyes closed, it was clear he had fainted. It was over. The battle was won by Gary.

"Zeke the Charmander has fainted! Gary Oak of Pallet Town is the winner of the match!" the ref said, as he began to leave.

I had lost. I lost my first battle. And now to top that, I lost Zeke. I was close to crying, which I haven't done in a long time...

That's when it began to rain.

"Hey, Erik!" Gary called. I looked up to see his ugly grinning face.

"What? Aren't you gonna-,"

"You can keep that Pokemon," Gary interrupted.

"Wait, really??!" I said, surprised by his kindness or his pity.

"Sure. I don't want any weak Pokemon travelling with me, it'd hold me down from reaching my goal. See ya later, Erik," Gary said, as his Squirtle grinned back at me as they turned their backs on me and left.

(That bastard....He thinks Zeke is weak.) I thought. (That SOB....)

I put my anger aside for the moment and healed Zeke's wounds temporarily before putting him back in the Poke Ball. I couldn't go back to Oak's, I was almost there to Route 1. If I stayed any longer Mom or Dad would wake up to find me missing...

And so, I sighed, and ran into Route 1, hoping that I wouldn't run into any wild Pokemon.

- END OF CHAPTER 2 -​

Last edited:
Years
(I would be great if Mizan, Buoysel or someone who's been on here long to review, I need to know or have a very good reviewer....)

Well, getting new reviewers could be helped by not insulting those you do have. If you don't think I'm a good reviewer, then please let me know so I can go and spend time reviewing those who will actually appreciate my comments.

I glanced at your latest chapter and noticed you still don't quite understand how to punctuate speech. Let me try and explain it again, just in case you weren't sure.

"Hello," the young girl said.

Here you're using a speech verb. (In this case, 'said'.) When you use a speech verb like this - much like 'whispered', 'hollered', 'asked', etc. - you get a comma after the spoken sentence and a lowercased word following it. (The comma after 'hello' and 'the'.)

When you have two sentences separated by a speech verb, you get this:

"Hello," the girl said. "What are you doing?"

Because they're two sentences, you split them in two. A comma after 'hello', a lowercased word, a period/full-stop to end the identifier, and then a capital for the new sentence.

When they're part of one, whole, sentence, you get this:

"What," the girl snarled, "are you doing?!"

It's one sentence, so should be kept one sentence. This you get two commas and lowercased segments.

Now, this all happens when you have a speech verb. (Verbs that actually involve speech, not those that involve mere sound. You don't really snort a sentence, after all.) When you don't get a speech verb, things change.

"Hi." The girl looked at him awkwardly.

The 'looked' has no direct relation to the 'hi'. They're not connected because you don't use the verb to say the sentence. (You can't look a sentence.) So they're separate and should be punctuated as such. The spoken words end - with a period/full-stop or a question mark/exclamation point - and a new sentence begins. Period/full-stop and capitalized new sentence.

"Hi." The girl looked at him awkwardly. "What's up?"

And when you cut it in two, this is what you get. Makes sense, right? ^^

Anyway, if you have further questions, please let me know. If you plan to further insult me, then please feel free to stop talking to me. Cheers!

Years
Chapter 3

(Okay, I guess I'll just post more. Won't post for another 3 days though, gotta plan for the future.)

- CHAPTER 3 -

After i had my ass handed to me by Gary, I left the gate entrance that separated Pallet Town from Route 1 and I went into Route 1. Goodbye Pallet Town.

As I walked past trees, I heard Hoothoot hooting, and Zubat screeching as they searched for food. Thankfully these Pokemon would stay away from a Human, because they're small and weak. I'm lucky that it was still to early for the more dangerous Pokemon to be up.

I kept walking, and I thought about the battle before. It was weird, the battle only lasted 3 minutes. I can't believe that it was over that fast, and my stupid mistake for not telling Zeke where to hit.

Then, suddenly out of nowhere I heard a scream. I didn't know what to do; should I ignore it or go towards it? It sounded Human....

And so I took the latter of the two choices: go towards it. I took a deep breath, and ran towards the direction in which the scream had came, east.

1 minute later, I found myself watching as a flock or Spearow was attacking a young girl about my age, she had short blonde hair and weird shinning green eyes. She seemed to be protecting herself with a frog-like Pokemon with a bulb on it's back, it seemed to be bleeding on all of it's four bipedal legs as it used vines that sprouted from it's back to scare away the Spearow, but it appeared to be not working...

"Rose, keep using Vine Whip! HELP US!" the girl yelled, as the Pokemon nodded and said "BULBA!" as it kept using it's vines.

I stood there for 10 seconds, stupidly not doing anything. It was when the girl spotted me and yelled over to me that I finally stopped staring.

"HEY YOU! CAN YOU HELP US!??!" she yelled, as a Spearow cut her cheek with it's talons.

"Um....yeah...hold on....," I said, as I took out Zeke's Poke Ball. I didn't know how well he was yet. Pokemon can heal on their own like Humans, bu they're slower at recovering from injuries than us. So I was worried about sending out Zeke to help this girl and her Pokemon.

I sighed, and silently whispered "You can do it Zeke," as I threw his Poke Ball to the ground.

A bright flash as always followed the opened of the Poke Ball, and it revealed that Zeke was doing fine. Although you could obviously tell he wasn't doing so great.

"Zeke, use Ember on the Spearow!" I yelled, as Zeke nodded and he spat out burning embers at the Spearow, burning their feathers as they squawked in pain, and flew off away from the four of us.

The girl got up, wiped blood off of her face and smiled at me.

"My hero...." she said dreamily, as her Pokemon walked towards Zeke and said "Bulba," and blushed. Me and Zeke gave each other confused looks, as I took out my Poke Dex for more information on her Pokemon.

001.png

- #001, BULBASAUR, THE SEED POKEMON -
- GRASS/POISON-TYPE -
- EGG GROUPS: MONSTER, PLANT -
- ABILITY: OVERGROW -
- HEIGHT: 2'04", WEIGHT: 15.2 POUNDS -
- FIRST MET 4/6/10 -
- "It carries a seed on its back right from birth. As it grows older, the seed also grows larger." -​

"A Bulbasaur, huh?" I said, as I put the Poke Dex away.

"Don't you know what a Bulbasaur is? You did come from Pallet Town..."the girl said, looking at me strangely.

"Um, I'm new to Kanto, and I never really had an interest in Pokemon hehehe..." I laughed nervously.

"Okay...." she said, looking at me strangely.

"Why were you attacked by Spearow?" I asked her.

"Oh well I accidentally tried to catch one, but I failed and got it angry..," the girl said, and then she hugged me. "My hero..."

Remember what I said about not being a people person? Well, hugging makes it worse, and so when she did that my face turned as red Zeke's flame.

"I'm Alyssa, you?" she asked, pulling away from me. She gave me a strange look as I being gasping for air, when she hugged me I stopped breathing.

"I'm....Erik.....Walker......pleasure....to meet you," I panted.

"Nice to meet you Erik. I'm going to Viridian City, I'm travelling across Kanto. Come on, we;re both heading the same way aren't we?" Alyssa said, as she grabbed my hand and began pulling me to Viridian City.

"Um, why?" I asked, trying to keep up. Our Pokemon walked steadily behind us.

"Why am I travelling across Kanto? I've always wanted to leave Pallet Town and travel across the land in which I live in. My dream is to travel across the entire world! What's your dream?" Alyssa asked, looking at me.

"I don't know..." I said drearily. This girl was more tiring than Gary, and I thought he was the worst you could get.

"You don't know? What do you mean?" Alyssa said, as she kept pulling on my arm. Her grip would not let go of my arm, and it felt like she ripping it away from my body.

"Well, I never really thought about having a goal...." Now that I think about it, I never actually planned my future. Realizing that made me finally see how I had wasted my life.....and I was almost an adult.

(Maybe I should just focus on being the Pokemon League Champion....,) I thought. (Yeah, I guess I should....)

"Hey, we're here!" Alyssa yelled, as she pulled harder on my arm as she began running towards the gate entrance.

A gate entrance was a green and brown building that separated Humans cities from Pokemon Routes, so that a random Pokemon doesn't happen to stroll into town and began wreaking havoc on it. Every gate entrance(or gate house as some call it)there is an attendant. They are always there, twenty-four seven, usually only switching attendants when noon comes around.

"Good morning, kids." The gate attendant said, as we both ignored him and went into Viridian City.

I had been here before, and I breathed in the surrounding air. It smelled fresh, like trees, and the building of the town were bigger than Pallet Town's and there were more buildings.

Alyssa led me, still holding my hand(a few people snickered at us, maing me blush even more than I already was)as we entered a Pokemon Center.

The Pokemon Center was a nice, quiet and cold building that had a certain feeling to it that made Pokemon more relaxed. If I had to guess, it was the some of the drugs they used.

We walked towards the main desk to see a nurse with red curly hair, taller than the both of us and had a pink ball-shaped Pokemon to the side of her.

"Welcome to the Viridian City Pokemon Center, I'm Nurse Joy. If you're a Trainer, you can sleep, eat and heal your Pokemon for free here. May I see your Trainer IDs?" the nurse asked.

I finally got my hand back, and I used to to dig in my pocket so that I could give her my Trainer ID.

A Trainer ID is basically a verification that you're a Trainer. Oak told me that I had to pass a certain test if I wasn't his Assistant in order to get it. It had my full name, a photo, and a ten digit serial number. I gave it to Nurse Joy, Alyssa did too, and she told us to return our Pokemon to our Poke Balls.

I put Zeke in mines, Alyssa as well, and gave them to her. We then waited inside the Pokemon Center while we waited for them to be healed.

"I think we should go eat." Alyssa suggested, as she walked towards me.

"Wait a minute, why're you saying we?" I asked, confused. I thought she was going on her way now....but that seemed not to be the case.

"Well....I sorta....want to travle with you." Alyssa said, blushing a little.

"Wait YOU SAY WHAT NOW?!?!?" I yelled, and got a scolding from everyone in the Pokemon Center. My face turned red from embarrassment.

"I mean, it gets lonely on a journey by yourself, won't it? You'll need someone to talk to in case you bored, and I don't want to travel alone by myself...." Alyssa said.

Okay, three things came into my mind, and then I told her them:

Number one. You need someone to talk to, not me. Even if I did, I'll always have Zeke.

Number two. I barely know you, and you expect me to just let me follow you!?!? Are you crazy?!?!

Number three. I don't even like you, so goodbye.

After I told her all three reasons, I left the Pokemon Center.

She followed me.

"Battle me." she said.

"What?" I said, and then I looked at her face. She was dead serious.

"Okay....when?" I asked.

"After our Pokemon have healed. We'll battle outside of the Gym here. It;s closed today. Prepare to get your ass whooped." Alyssa said, as she then walked away.

Before I can plan out my strategy, I have to find where the Gym was.

About five minutes after I used the PokeGear to find it, I saw the Gym. The building was two stories high, and there was a sign outside that said "Gym Leader Blue, User of The Incredible Ground-type!".

After I saw the humongous building, I got a call from Nurse Joy(apparently the Trainer Card also had my PokeGear number), who told me Zeke was ready to go.

I walked back to the Pokemon Center to pick up Zeke, and as soon as I got outside I sent him out.

"CHARMANDER!" Zeke roared, and I laughed as he then started choking.

"Take it easy, Zeke. We're going to fight against Alyssa, okay? I really need to win this one, and I'm pretty sure we can." I said, as Zeke happily nodded.

Then, I began thinking up of various strategies and then I walked back to Gym.

LATER.....

We got to the entrance, and saw Alyssa and her Bulbasaur, Rose. We both stood an equal thirty feet distance away from each other as a part of battling, and a Ref walked over to the center of the rectangle.

"Alright! The Trainers Erik Walker and Alyssa Holland please step forward!" The Ref said, as we both did. We were both 30 feet away from each other, in order to allow space for our Pokemon to battle.

"Trainers, this battle is a one on one battle, neither of you may switch Pokemon. Once one Trainer's Pokemon has fainted, the other is declared the winner. Do you accept these conditions?" The Ref asked, looking at both of us.

"Yep." Alyssa said.

"Good. Then you may...," He said, raising his blue and red flags, as we and our Pokemon tensed up, "BEGIN!"

"Rose, you can do it!"

"Zeke, let's go!"

We both shouted as our Pokemon jumped from our sides and onto the field. The battle had begun, and people started to come over and watch us.

"Zeke, let's use a Ember!" I yelled.

"Rose, Vine Whip!" Alyssa shouted.

Zeke spat out flaming embers as Rose's vines shout out of her bulb, but only to burnt. She tried running away from the embers, but only got pelted with more, and she screamed in pain.

"Rose, use Synthesis now!" Alyssa commanded.

Rose stopped screaming, and then she opened up her bulb. It started glowing, as it gathered sunlight and her wounds began to heal. That move was going to be a problem.

"Zeke, stop Rose from healing by using Smokescreen!"

"Rose, Stun Spore!"

Zeke gulped in air, and then shot out smoke, blinding Rose as her bulb opened up and sprayed the spores in the air, not effecting Zeke.

"Zeke, Ember!"

"Rose, use Razor Leaf all over the place!"

Zeke spat out fiery embers at Rose, but then she began producing razor-sharp leaves that hit the embers, but some made it through and hit Zeke.

"CHAAAR!" Zeke shouted, crying out in pain.

"Rose, Tackle!"

"Zeke, use Scratch on Rose now!"

Something went wrong. Zeke didn't move.

"Zeke?" I said nervously. He didn't faint yet....but yet he was immobile.

Then, Rose came up to Zeke in the smoke, thanks to his cries of pain she found him. My heart sank when she used a full-out tackle on Zeke, sending him flying to the Ref, and he then fainted.

"Zeke is unable to battle! Alyssa Holland is the winner!" He yelled, and then he began to along with all of the other spectators.

I couldn't believe it. I lost twice in one day...how is this possible? What did I do wrong? How did Alyssa win?!?!

"How the hell did you win?!?!" I asked her, picking up Zeke as she grinned at me.

"Stun Spore. Your Pokemon can breath in smoke naturally, without choking right? So all we had to do was wait for Zeke to breath in enough spores and then become paralyzed, winning us the match," She explained. "Come on, let's go back and heal our Pokemon again. After that, you're buying me dinner." she grinned.

I was such a dumbass, and I felt like a complete idiot. I guess she must've felt like that, because she then said "Don't feel bad, Erik. You tried your best, but overall I'm obviously the better Trainer, hehe." She said, walking towards the Pokemon Center.

Her attempt to make me feel bad has failed, I felt even worse than before. I sighed, and walked to the Pokemon Center as well.

LATER....

After we healed our Pokemon, I unfortunately had to treat Alyssa to breakfast. I watched in disgust as she finished 3 plates of pancakes and scrambled eggs, as I also watched 100 Pokedollars go down the drain with each plate eaten.

She told me she had to use the bathroom, and then I waited until she went inside so that I could bail out.

I ran out of the restaurant, and bumped into a man.

"Ouch! Sorry sir....," I said, as I looked up. "OH ****."

It was Dad.

- END OF CHAPTER 3 -

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
(I would be great if Mizan, Buoysel or someone who's been on here long to review, I need to know or have a very good reviewer....)
But you just had Silawen. =/ Who hasn't been here' long' but certainly has been in the fanfiction business for a good while to know her stuff. =P This comment here though seems a bit rude to me though...what was wrong with Silawen and her pretty darn in-depth reviews? =/

Anyways I suppose I may review the 2nd chapter, but I will say that I found myself agreeing with Silawen's comments - despite these supposed additions and explanations to questions I'm not quite convinced by a number of things. This may be an alternate universe, but it's not very clear that this is so for one - so why this is so and so forth needs to I feel be more clearly established. I'm not really buying for instance that he's never heard of a charmander or didn't know about Oak, who is by any stretch a highly-known and respected person in the world of Pokemon. If that's not the case here it's not really indicated properly.

Not so sure at all about the 'no tv' thing either - just something I'm not convinced by at all. And as said if you have to say stuff outside of the story to explain something then you're not giving enough information within the story itself for it to be clear to readers - stories do not need extra info to be understood 100% generally. The fact that there's magical monsters doesn't really convince me that there's no tv/it didn't catch on. After all, there's the PC system (and computers kinda came about thanks to tv), and there's the Pokegear's Radio as well which lead to television - why then would TV not catch on? If anything it seems like you're arguing a lost cause as there's no real indicator why television wouldn't be about and used (that and the fact the pokegear is there suggest radio and all would be in use - which is another way to know about the world around you and hence that Oak = Pokemon Prof. Let's not forget about newspapers. Or the fact Oak lives in the same small town as the main character anyways). Too many logic gaps, both applying the Pokemon games logic to it (because Pokemon games do have tv) and real-world logic. Tv not existing seems to take the cake though - don't see why that is the case, and even if it was legit it doesn't solve the original question/plothole anyways.

Same for the PTR and how it affects this world - basically if it's an alternate universe than you're going to have to spend a good amount of explaining and establishing facts within the story as otherwise it'll just go over our heads as we don't understand everything. I'd advise going back through things and editing - it's a process near everyone ends up having to do anyways. As-is there's just too much that I'm having to question, so it's best you rethink a few things and go back to edit/rewrite parts - if you do this also don't rush that process! And when someone points out a plothole, coming up with explanations off the bat in review replies doesn't tend to work well at all and doesn't actually improve the fic (and tends to lead to more questions/holes).

Now have a few quotes. =P
After Oak let me into his mansion, I walked down a different hallway than before.

After some twists and turns, we eventually got to a bright-lighted laboratory that nearly blinded me as Oak told me to sit down on a stool, which I did.
You tend to have the habit of separating things into different paragraphs even if it isn't really necessary. Both paragraphs here are still about walking to the lab, so it'd be fine to have them as one paragraph.
"I'm sure. When do I start?" I said, eager to leave Pallet Town once and for all. I hated this place, moving to this town was a nightmare for me.
Comma here doesn't really work in merging the two parts of the sentences - usually commas are used before the 'fanboys' (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so rather than the scary kind =P). Here though it just creates an uncomfortable pause - something else should be used instead (even rewording/making a new sentence there would be better).

Furthermore, here it feels like the main character is telling us a bit too much - here we're told that he hated the town, but you could have done more to explain why he hates the town, and the better way to do that would be to show us this. Show us some events of him interacting with people or the town for instance which gives us the impression/makes us think 'he doesn't like this town'. More on this later.
"You're my Field Assistant, remember? You need to know more about Pokemon than the average Trainer." Oak explained, cutting me off.
As Silawen explained before, should be a comma.
"I think you know enough by now," Oak yawned, as he placed the book back onto it's original spot.
its over it's, the latter meaning 'it is'.
"Do you want to give him a nickname?" Oak asked me, as I was startled out of my thoughts.

"A what?" I asked, confused.
Personally a nickname doesn't strike me as that confusing a concept. =/
Looks like I was getting him tired....
This could use some rewording, for instance 'Looks like I was making him tired' - getting doesn't fit well here. Also stick to just three dots for an ellipse, rather than four (i.e. '...').
We stared at each other for a bit as I thought up of a nickname, and Oak decided to clean up his lab as I thought.

And then I picked a nickname for him.
Sometimes you verge on repetition as well with the writing - here you're basically saying 'why Oak cleaned up I began thinking about a nickname. And then I picked a nickname.' I'd reword it to remove that repetitive feel.
"Oh well, hold on let me give you some stuff.." Oak said, as he disappeared deeper into the lab, as I turned back to Charmander err Zeke.
Again, ellipses should be three dots. Also I'd advise against saying stuff like 'back to Charmander err Zeke' like so - if it's a though, make it clearer that it's a thought rather than have it written like it's addressed directly to us (which can bring us out of the story and disrupt the flow).
"Char Charmander." Zeke said, as I guessed he liked it(or accepted it..).
Full stop should be a comma, add in a space there, and add another dot to make it a proper ellipse.

Back to what I said earlier about showing and telling - here, Erik is basically telling us that it seemed Charmander accepted the name. It would be more interesting to read about this though if you should us something that suggested that Charmander liked/accepted it. Say, Charmander nodding or smiling or clapping its paws together happily around gives this paragraph and action or event - something happening - which keeps the story moving. It's the little things like that that make a difference. (Note you can still tell us as well that it seems to accept it, telling and showing is fine as long as you're not over-repeating the facts).
After that there was a bit of awkward silence until Oak came back with some weird crap in his hands.

"What the hell is that?" I asked, as he pulled out some sort of weird device.
Ok, I must say this really amused me with the 'weird crap' comment. XD Not 100% sure why either but it did amuse. =)
"This bag is called a Messenger Bag, it's to hold all of your items.

"And finally, Potions and Poke Balls, so you have everything a Assistant should need!" Oak finished, out of breath. I'm worried that he's gonna he's give himself one day...
The first sentence reads oddly if you were to read it out loud as one sentence. I'd reword it - for instance This bag is called a Messenger Bag. It's for holding any items you take.' And the last sentence sounds... well, jumbled there. =P (And is more telling us as well - note that telling stuff to the reader directly like this is called breaking the fourth wall and can bring them out of the story as it sounds more like you talking to them on the street than a written form, and hence feels unnatural).
"I KNEW GRANDPA WAS LYING WHEN HE SAID HE LOST IT!" the guy yelled, cutting me off. I had only met him for 10 seconds, and already he was annoying me.
I will say that Gary
seems more or less like he should be, but caps lock doesn't always work too well in fics, nor does random swearing as well, which gary seemed to do a lot of when it wasn't that necessary to boot. Also write out numbers less than 100 i.e. ten over 10.
I looked at the guy like he was crazy. He was a teenager, probably just as old as me, he sported blond hair and brown eyes. He was a bit taller than me.
Firstly I'd make a new sentence there as the 2nd sentence can be split (again the comma doesn't work there), secondly I'd reword this part as well. Firstly it's simply put (He was ___ He had ___ He was ___) which is somewhat repetitive and boring to read as well. Instead expand out on this, and spread it around, while mixing in the descriptions with action. For instance, maybe mention the blond hair while Gary scratches his head (for example) - it's minor but something is happening at the same time as the description, and it helps to keep the story moving. From there you can go into more detail (a lot of hair? what else about him - clothing? does he look frail or strong? etc). Note that description can then be used to show us more about him as a character and reflect his personality as well - play around with it, and it'll help to establish your characters more as well as make for a more interesting read. You're already doing this, btw, such as below where Gary grabs Erik's arm and so forth, but you could expand it some more and work on the descriptions.
"That Charmander was meant to be mine, man. But I got a crappy Squirtle instead!" He shouted, as he grabbed me on the arm.
Should be a small h.
"Tell ya what, if I win I get to keep that Pokemon and you can have this ****** Squirtle. If I lose, I'll let ya have it for free, since Gramps will give me another one anyway." The guy babbled, as I pulled his hand away from my arm.
Change to a comma and a small t i.e. '...another one anyways," the guy babbled...).
"I'm Gary, you?" He asked.
See above.
Suddenly, I felt a bit nervous. If I lost, I could actually lose Zeke. (No, I won't lose!) I told myself, as I waited for him to come back.
Suddenly you began using brackets for thoughts now, although you didn't earlier - try to keep it consistent. I'd say personally italics work better than brackets as well (and is the more commonly used technique for thoughts in writing by far), but your choice I suppose...
LATER....
Try to keep from doing this - it's unnecessary and detracts from the story, and you can quite easily go without it as well.
"Alright! The Trainers Zeke Walker and Gary Oak please step forward!" The Ref said, as we both did. We were both 30 feet away from each other, in order to allow space for our Pokemon to battle.
I thought the trainer was Erik and the Pokemon Zeke. =P Also thirty over 30, although I question why they have to be such a specific number of feet away and whether they counted or not - seems having a number there is rather unnecessary.
Do you accept these conditions?" The Ref asked, looking at both of us.
Also, Ref doesn't seem like it'd need to be capitalised unless it's a very important and formal job - but here they just grabbed some assistant. =/ Also the over The.
"Yes." Gary said coolly.
Change the bolded full stops to commas.
'"Good. Then you may...," He said
Rather than that, do this: "Good. Then you may..." he said'.
When the light was gone, Zeke, and some light blue turtle-like Pokemon was left, as our Poke Balls recoiled back into our hands.
light-blue rather than light blue. Also here is another instance where you could work on describing Squirtle - it got a short description and a sprite, which is kinda a lazy way of showing us what things look like and isn't advised to be used in fics by any means.
Squirtle did as commanded, it ran towards Zeke.
Reword, as the comma here makes it sound awkward and doesn't join up these two parts together well. Add in some more words rather than trying to cut things short, e.g. 'Squirtle did as commanded, as it ran towards Zeke with a determined look on its face on its stubby legs.' - note here the comma now precedes 'as' which is one of the 'fanboys', and I added a bit more to describing Squirtle. An important note about description is that it's best to spread it around rather than have it all in the same spot (which is known as info-dumping).
"Inquiry: Zeke's known moves. Answer: Scratch, Ember, Smokescreen, Leer." The Poke Dex answered.
change to a comma and the (Leer," the PokeDex answered). Note that the official name is actually PokeDex, as one word. (Or rather Pokedex).
Zeke's eyes was immune to smoke, so he snuck up behind Squirtle and raised his claws, and raked them against it's shell.
How were Zeke's eyes immune to smoke? Not sure if there's such things as smoke-immune eyes... =/ Also its rather than it's.
"Sure. I don't want any weak Pokemon travelling with me, it'd hold me down from reaching my goal. See ya later, Feraligatr." Gary said,
Consider adding in that comma after 'later' as you could say Erik is being called a Feraligatr.

Ok, overall this isn't so bad - most things are decent and it's mostly the same type of mistakes that you are making here which don't take too much to fix. Descriptions could stand some improvement, and the biggest point would be setting up this universe setting up better in the prologue/earlier chapters and explaining the different things in this AU of yours, which I (and Silawen) already touched on. That's probably the bigger port of call to pay attention to first. But there is potential here, so with some work (which really any good fic needs to have anyways to be good), this can be a pretty neat fic. Focus on plotting out and cleaning up the questionable points as they're basically taking away from the good parts of the story, and then work on the rest. Hope this helps, and good luck.

EDIT: Well maybe I'll do chapter 3 later (you posted it as I was typing this review so only see it now), but I feel you could apply some advice from previous chapters to it already first (such as use of commas, etc), and IMO it'd be best to worry about the first parts of the fic first, as the beginning has to be up to shape to keep potential readers/reviewers interested. (Also note that posting to ask if anyone else wants to review is against the fanfiction rules with bumping and all. =P)

Last edited:

Meta-Morph

Years
About smoke-immune eyes....Fire-types are often near volcanoes or anywhere that smoke is present (where there's smoke there's fire), and I figured that was pretty easy.

Also, I changed PTR to the government. Decided it was easier that way.

Thanks Bob, I owe you one (as usual XD), I'll make some edits right now.

Years
Okay, now I edited everything. (well, almost everything. Wait a while, okay?)

And like I said before, I'm going to take a three day break.

And I won't ask people to review anymore. In any case, see ya later.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
About smoke-immune eyes....Fire-types are often near volcanoes or anywhere that smoke is present (where there's smoke there's fire), and I figured that was pretty easy.

Also, I changed PTR to the government. Decided it was easier that way.

Thanks Bob, I owe you one (as usual XD), I'll make some edits right now.
Maybe with some backing up that is a sufficient explanation, but again - better that you don't have to explain things outside of the fic itself. (And somehow I'm not quite sold either, not terribly sure why - maybe it's the assumption that fire types live near volcanoes necessarily - certainly not many next to Pallet Town unless Charmander crosses oceans).

Also, with the edits... I think you're going to have to do a lot more. Heck, even with the prologue's beginning:
"Erik." A voice said.

I groaned, as I knew whose voice it was.

"Erik, it's time to get up." the voice said. The voice was soft, I guess it was because she knew that you don't like hearing loud voices in the morning.

"Five more minutes." I groaned, as I was in my bed, and then I felt a hand shaking me.
The punctuation-around-dialogue error is still evidently there - and glancing through near everything mentioned before as a mistake or something that needs improving is still there. =/ Have your break and all, but don't rush it and take your time to edit - it'll pay off in the end put only if you think through everything, re-work the plot weaknesses (instead of quickly just 'making it the government' - for the other problems of why, how, and so forth still remain no matter if it's some random group or the government). Worry about fixing what you've written already first and foremost - maybe even consider getting a beta reader if you feel you could use more advice/further proofreading - and make use of that advice already given for it.

nokyo-chan

Oatmeal? Are you CRAZY?!
Years
Hello. This is my first review on PC!

First, let me just say that it is going to be very hard for me to be civil. Your introduction is very antagonistic, and if you are going to write something as abrasive as that, you need to have an awesome story to back it up; I'm sorry to say that you don't.

Someone has already submitted a review about your grammar, so I'll let that slide (which is rare, since I am a total Grammar Nazi); I will focus mostly on your character and plot.

Erik is a classic example of a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu character. Mostly, Mary-Sue characters are considered to be the ones who are perfect at everything they do and have the most friends; this is only one type of Mary-Sue. Your character is the opposite end of the spectrum:

I'm a 16 year old guy with no job, no ambition, and no life whatsoever.
I have 3 neighbors, and no friends. Apparently, no one likes me.

Erik is most accurately classified as an angst- or angry-Sue. He is the opposite of the ideal character, instead having almost no redeeming qualities. He is unnecessarily antagonistic:

"Don't call me your son, my damn father is right here you douche." I growled.

There is no reason for him to say this; it is completely uncalled for. Going a bit off track, the doctor's reaction is completely unrealistic.

...but House just laughed.

"Ha ha, sorry about that. But in all seriousness, you should rest, Erik. I just want the best for you." he said, trying to comfort me.

Erik reacting angrily again, as he does in his thoughts in the next sentence, is another example of just how angsty he is.

Oh, and by the way---Doctor House? Really? XD

Several elements in your story don't make sense; for instance, the way his father reacts to Erik going to meet Professor Oak on his own.

"Jonathan!" my mother scolded, but my dad continued talking. "Erik, go meet that man today, got it? We'll meet you when we get home, until then take care!" with that, my father left me.

If Erik's father is such a big fan of Professor Oak, why wouldn't he take time off work to make the trip with him? Also, his son just woke up from a three-day coma; wouldn't he be more worried? It's very possible that Erik is not yet strong enough to make it to Oak's, even if it is a short walk. The worry/idol worship would be enough to make any father accompany his son.

"Why hello, are you Erik?" he asked warmly. It felt somehow very pleasant to be next to this old man.

Doctor House acted the same way; warm, friendly, inviting. Why would Erik hate his doctor on sight, but like Oak for acting the same way? All celebrity-status aside, if he hates friendly people, he should hate all friendly people, no matter who they are.

Well, in summary: you shouldn't be so mean in your introduction (it hardly makes someone want to read your story); Erik is a bit over-the-top angsty; and sometimes your logic doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't mean to offend; I'm honestly trying to help.

Kiger Mustang

NOW UNDER USERNAME " SWEED "
Years
The story is semi interesting, I read all the chapters up so far and here's what I have to offer:

- A prologue tends to an optional read, in your story you have to read it in order to get the story.

- Your detail is little to none and it leaves me imagining things that probably aren't what you wanted to get across.

- I find the story repetitive; hero meets "special" Pokemon which changes his life. Also, throwing Gary in there was a little weird.

- No back story on the name Zeke. Erik obviously has a reason for naming the Charmander accordingly, but there is no explanation.

That's all I can think of currently. All in all, I'd give it a 5/10.

Back