• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Is there a way to evolve a Kadabra without trading?

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Oct 17, 2017
I have a gameboy color and am I?m playing the Pikachu special edition
Is there a way to evolve Kadabra without trading?

Years
Unfortunately, no there isn't, another generation 1 game is required to obtain Alakazam. Have you considered getting another Psychic type? Perhaps Exeggutor or Mr.Mime? Kadabra is also pretty powerful on its own, with its solid 120 special & 100 speed.

Last edited:

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 4, 2018
As far as I know, the answer is "no"...I can't remember which of the original 4 trade evolutions is available in an in-game trade in Yellow...

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
You can acquire an Alakazam via the Ditto Glitch but in terms of evolving a Kadabra into one, unfortunately you need another Gameboy with a Red/Blue/Yellow cartridge.

To acquire Alakazam in Yellow via Ditto Glitch, be sure to have Fly, Dig and/or Teleport at your disposal and do the following steps.

1) Find a "Glitch" Trainer. A Glitch Trainer is someone who activates from 4 steps away, meaning as soon as he comes into viewing range, they activate. The key is to press start to open the menu prior to the Trainer yielding "!" and initiating a Trainer battle. You will want to Fly or Teleport away. Fly is best because you can choose where to go and afterwards the menu will be unavailable so its best to go to a place where you can battle another trainer.

2) Find a Trainer you haven't battled yet and then battle them by having them see you and having to walk at least 1 space to fight you. Defeat the trainer however you see fit.

3) Fly to Cinnabar Island and go into the Basement. From there you will want to run into a Ditto. Withdraw or defeat all other Wild Pokemon until you do. When you do run into a Ditto, switch in a Pokemon who has a Special Stat of 149. Ditto will then transform and take on the stats of the Pokemon in question(notably the special stat of 149). Run from the battle after it transforms.

4) Dig/Teleport out of the Mansion and proceed back to the area where you met the Trainer in Step 1. Upon doing so the menu will open automatically(this is good). Press B to initiate the battle against a level 7 Alakazam. Forget what moves it knows but it does know Teleport so be sure to have a Pokemon ready that can put it to sleep to prevent it from getting away.

The downside to a Ditto Glitch Alakazam is that it wont have the moveset that one would have if evolved from Kadabra. However, this is the only way people with just 1 game can complete the Pokedex without the use of a second Gameboy.

Last edited:
Years
You can use the Mew Glitch as soon as you get to Cerulean City. Just instead of getting Mew, I'm pretty sure you can use it to get whatever Pok?mon you want. In this case, Alakazam.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Feb 19, 2018
What I do is I when I'm at my friends I trade it to them then when it's evolved they trade it back to me. Make sure it's one of your best friends that you trust tho, or they may not give it back. Make sure they also have no reason to get even with you.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 13, 2018
I have a gameboy color and am I'm playing the Pikachu special edition
Is there a way to evolve Kadabra without trading?

I'm afraid there isn't.

However, Alakazam is not the only useful Psychic type in the game. There are other Psychic types with a lot of use like Exeggutor, who's a lot slower, but has a Special Attack on par with Alakazam and Hypno, who is way better than Alakazam defensively.

Last edited:
Years
Another alternative Psychic-type is Starmie, which evolves from Staryu with a Water Stone. It's as fast as Alakazam and gets good coverage from TM moves alone.

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Starmie is an awesome alternative - I've used one in both RBY and FR/LG because it has such a good amount of TM coverage. I believe the last time I used one in FR/LG the moveset it had was:
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt/Recover (Can't remember which)
- Ice Beam
- Water Pulse

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Oct 19, 2018
Unfortunately you can't get Alakazam without trading. However, there are a lot of good Psychic types to use: Mr.Mime, Hypno(really nice special stat), Starmie, Slowbro(Psychic, Surf, Ice Beam and Amnesia, watch it destroy everything) and even Kadabra himself is amazing! I always use Kadabra in Crystal and Psychic+Elemental Punches is a really diverse and powerful moveset

Back