• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Are you a boy? Or are you a girl?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
So, I'm curious: does anyone else ever give the player character a female name in R/B/Y (or G/S, for that matter) and pretend to be a tomboyish/androgynous girl? Since I'm a girl, and I typically like to play with female characters, this is how I compensate for the lack of gender options in the older games. :P Just curious to see if there are any other people like me.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I just name myself something stupid

I pretend my rival is some random loser that sucks at Pokemon battles, oh wait... I don't need to pretend because rival BLUE always gets rekt

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Feb 19, 2018
I just name myself something stupid

I pretend my rival is some random loser that sucks at Pokemon battles, oh wait... I don't need to pretend because rival BLUE always gets rekt
OHHHHHH you just got done! I hope you have some burn heal blue!

withheld

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
So, I'm curious: does anyone else ever give the player character a female name in R/B/Y (or G/S, for that matter) and pretend to be a tomboyish/androgynous girl? Since I'm a girl, and I typically like to play with female characters, this is how I compensate for the lack of gender options in the older games. :P Just curious to see if there are any other people like me.

I'm afraid that, if i do that, i might really view Red as a female and
start feeling attraction to him. I can live with being attracted to
fictional girls, but if i move to boys, it'd be too much.

Years
I don't. I like to fill up a character with wathever I'm thinking at the moment. (Not necessarily insert myself).

colabear9

Lurker
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 24, 2018
I usually (with any Pokemon game) name them their cannon names. Although sometimes I name the RGBY rival something not-so-innocent (lol). I also name the rival "Green" rather than "Blue". Dunno why.
Either that or I name my character "Ceebs" (a little nickname I use for my screen name) and the rival after my bff.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I really like this concept! I was personally never this creative and was always just 'Ozzy' (has been my 'nickname' irl for as long as I can remember), but I think if I ever try the games again I might become a bit more androgynous in future!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
No, but this is an interesting idea I would try out in the future!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I think I did at some point. You never really see the main char clearly in these games anyways, and I'm not sure if anybody ever refers to you as a boy or a him? Maybe in some dialogue with Oak or gym leaders... Aren't you usually just referred to as a "young trainer"?

Years
I never thought of the player character as myself - I was playing as him, a different (male) kid player. As a kid I played Blue and Gold, so I called the protagonist those names in-game. This is why in later games, I never named my (female) player after myself - I would just give her a name I liked.

Lord Flamingo

Hmm, pretzels.
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 13, 2018
Heh, I use silly names such as "you," "me" or other nicknames that make funny dialogues ensue. This is a trend that never changes, regardless of the region - I guess that I just like doing it.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
I'm a male here, so, can't exactly relate, but it's an interesting thought. We project ourselves within our beloved characters, so if (regardless of your actual gender) you choose to see 'Red' as a female, why not? Gender-swap memes are a thing. ^^

Me, personally, I was that bad-arse trainer that had 'that OP Venusaur over there'. (How I saw myself during my very first playthrough.)

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
With me, I chose to play male in one game and played female in the other counterpart game when given the choice.. just to make it easier (used to trade a lot w/ myself).

In my main games, from Crystal all the way up to regular 4th Gen, I chose the female character. I preferred the look of the female over the male in most cases.
As for my main game in HGSS, BW, & BW2... i wasn't too keen on the design of the female sprite and chose male instead.
6th Gen, i returned to my main game being the female character again... probably would have originally chose the male instead if I knew then how much camo stuff was available to that character then. xD

With playing poke games in general (but mostly w/ fan games), I tend to instantly choose the female.. especially if the base gender sprites were modified. In those cases, I always choose female because the custom female base sprite is always overlooked.

Satire

let’s get this bread
Years
I, personally, physically can't play as the male character. That's why I'll legit stop playing if the game is gender locked.

With that said, I never really use my actual name when playing as the girl. I just choose names that are aesthetically pleasing.

Years
Never done that. Good idea, though! Except I only ever play as males nowadays because my fascination with ladykind has stalled somewhat. They're a good sort, but a person can only take so much... also I don't fancy the new designs much, and cutesy is simply not for me.

Hilda from Pokemon Black, however, is brilliant.

Last edited:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
Honestly? I don't even remember. It was several years ago when I played the games that didn't have the female roles, and I think in most cases for Pokemon Yellow (my first game ever played in the franchise), I either called the boy "Red" or "Ash", and I called the Rival "Blue" or "Gary". Next time I do a play through with the boy, I'm so going to name him something really girly. XD I usually just use Kimi as my character's name if I play the girl... then I name my Pokemon after people I love basically (this usually includes Tom & Clayne, then the rest are usually close internet friends).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
That's actually a cool idea. For my characters, though, I usually think of them as some of my OC or some new OC created just for the game, sometimes and actual OC will derive from that. I usually choose girls anyways. And for the name, I always choose names I think are pretty, and some char might repeat in another game.

Back