• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon Sun and Moon(Anime)worth watching?

Years
Sure, I'd love to see the evidence/posts of said that the animation is "Bad" from people who'm worked on the show, or industry vets. It would definitely add more to the conversation.

Also he did not work on Pokemon Sun and Moon, he is not a key animator on the show and has no reason to defend it. If you look at the link I gave with all of his works... you'd see that he has never worked on the Pokemon anime.

Shouldn't the words of an actual animator, one who has worked on dozens of feature films and anime carry more weight on a subject he is proficient with, than you know the average guy on the internet with vastly different background and skill set.

To be honest I'd love to see other vets opinions on the matter of sun and moons animation... so if you have more info please share.

Also, I've been gone for a month and this is still the hottest topic on the anime thread... XD

>doesn't even work in SM

Do you realize it makes your statement even more irrelevant? lol
It's just his opinion on the animation, it proves nothing about how it really is.
You don't need to be a genius to see how bad SM animation is.
There is no point in this lol.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
>doesn't even work in SM

Do you realize it makes your statement even more irrelevant? lol
It's just his opinion on the animation, it proves nothing about how it really is.

Sorry, but I think the words of an actual professional caries more weight than some random person on the net.
You don't need to be a genius to see how bad SM animation is.

Really? most people can't even articulate why they think the animation is bad.
And I apologize if we have differing opinions.

Never have I actually seen anyone in the anime sub forum scrutinize the "animation" of the SM saga.
And you know what? I feel that people are hating the "animation" just cause now... it's like a meme.

I am of the opinion that The Sun and moon series is the most "animated" saga in the Pokemon series. And it's greatest sin to most western viewers, is that the show forfeited the more bombastic scenes and designs, so the show can be more consistently animated.
There is no point in this lol.

You know what? yeah there's no point.

The weird thing is, I could never see it... Every other episode I end up impressed with the show. "How the hell did they cram so many frames off animation in this episode" I would wonder. And yes, there are times where the show would take short cuts (so does every other anime.), but never does the animation take a dip...

People praise XY for it's myriad of "Sakuga" moments and panache, but they often forget that the moments in between are riddled with low quality "animation", with really, just mouthflaps with uninteresting un-moving backgrounds. Most of the time, there's nothing interesting going on in the scenes, to the point that even when they're in cities, there is a surprising lack of people...

We have people in this forum who criticize the story, or the ratings, the relevance of the show in general, sales figures... and most of the time there would be an argument that derails the entire thread itself, and yes I would get into heated debates with them. But there's always something to learn from those, more figures are shown, opinions, facts, passions. When it comes to the actual animation quality it's like.

"SM's animation is bad" mic drop and walk away.

P.S. I've been waiting for the said evidence/links to where Satoshi's voice actress stated that SM's animation is bad.

Last edited:
Years
@CidHazard

Writing wall posts do not help the goal post.
You're the one claiming SM animaton is better than other seasons which I completely disagree to hence you're not in right to ask people to articulate when you can't even do that to prove how SM animaton style is better than past seasons and no, an animator's word is not proof of anything.

You need to prove me how it is better as you were the one quoting me and making such claim otherwise I don't care as yours is just a mere opinion like mine, not facts. I'd be also thankfully if you avoid writing wall posts that don't help goalpost. I'll only answer when you get to prove your point.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
SM animation is a complete disgrace. It completely made characters look awful. No doubt that the animation is partly while SM ratings are low. I never seen such bad graphics like SM anime and I Choose You movie.

How can i even watch the show if Ash looks off with his new design? A huge step back for those running the show.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
The animation has really grown on me, and really isn't that bad. The story has recently improved, and i'm loving every second of the anime.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
This is exactly why I said there is no point. This has been going on ever since Pokemon SM aired, and I feel in many was have already articulated my thoughts on it's animation for months now. And it's not like I can change your aesthetic taste with a simple post and if you don't want me to quote you then OK.

Also I didn't say better, I said "MORE"

But... if it's strictly the animations technical side. I think SM is superior to XY...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SM has more frames of unique drawings than XY, if you look at each unique face that the character makes to express their emotions, or even the subtle details that people rarely notice.

If you look at both show's respective episodes 1-2 side by side you'll see what I'm talking about. That even when talking, there are subtle details in SM Ash's design that the XY Ash's could never achieve due to his rigid... and very sharp design.

Just in the very first 2 minutes of SM episode 1, you see Ash and Pikachu's faces change into different and unique expressions. Notice that the scene in which they where moving at high speed that Ash's hair and pikachu's fur where moving in the wind.

Their use of the 3d camera has improved, to a point where you don't really notice when they use it now... not like in XY where, the background would look like crap and the characters seems like they're floating in air. However, they have used the 3d camera very sparingly in SM.

Movement is more constant in SM than in XY. Where before there would be a lot of panning shots or stills... now there's a lot more movement.

Granted more animation can be done with more time, however it would take more time to animate to a point where it becomes impractical to have a lot of scenes that have more frames of animation. If attempted, Some episodes would suffer because of it, since the team would have to allocate more key animators on one bombastic episode, leaving us with an episode or two of lackluster animation... leaving us with inconsistent episode quality.

And yes More doesn't equal Better... But SM never in its 53 episode run, never had an episode where it had a massive dip in quality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in conclusion:
SM has more consistent detailed animation and is more animated than every single saga before it.

SM does falter in terms of fight choreography tho... XY had dozens of great fights in its 140 episode run. In terms of enjoyment and just straight out BAD ASS-ery XY has the best "visual" fights in the series. And SM in comparison, only has like two or three good fights after 53 episodes.

Side-note: XY also has the best soundtrack Volt, Mega V, Mad Paced Getter, XY & Z... I love these songs to death XD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I have not seen any of the sm episodes and I have only read the episode guides. The episode guides did not seem as good as the older episodes. Guzma is my favorite character from the sm game and he's not even in the anime.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
The OS animation was much better then the AG/DP/BW/XY sagas put together.

The SM anime series has been an hit and a miss so far, i do feel the Aether arc/Ultra Beast arc are being overrush and it may end terribly because of it.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
SM anime had to many changes. That was the problem for me. It is not what i am use to.

The hoenn series had better and improved graphics to Kanto, Orange Islands and Johto. Same goes for Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos. Kanto still has better graphics than SM. So all previous sagaa had the best graphics while SM had the worse.

Last edited:
Years
SM anime had to many changes. That was the problem for me. It is not what i am use to.

This is one major gripe with me. If a long-running show drastically changes format and does it too suddenly, it alienates the audience. And I know how that feels considering another former childhood show of mine is going through such radical change in an attempt to please SJWs (hate those bastards) and minorities.

Ash and the group being based in one place most of the time does kinda ruin Pokemon's journey aspect, and instead feels like a half-assed attempt to compete with Yo-Kai Watch which had been a major threat to Pokemon in Japan.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
This is one major gripe with me. If a long-running show drastically changes format and does it too suddenly, it alienates the audience. And I know how that feels considering another former childhood show of mine is going through such radical change in an attempt to please SJWs (hate those bastards) and minorities.

Ash and the group being based in one place most of the time does kinda ruin Pokemon's journey aspect, and instead feels like a half-assed attempt to compete with Yo-Kai Watch which had been a major threat to Pokemon in Japan.

You said that another childhood show of yours went through similar radical changes, care to share what that show was?

And yeah, good point, Ash looks too much like Steven Universe (and I'm not fond of that show at all...). And yeah, sticking Ash in a school environment was a very bad idea (especially when it was already indicated multiple times that Ash didn't even need school to be a good trainer, so why would he need school now?).

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years

+1 and like with Weedle, I'm kind of curious as to the show. PRB12 did a Pokemon crack(Highly edited comedy videos) awhile back that took Teen Titans Go and overlayed the audio of a TTG Episode with edited visuals of Pokemon Sun and Moon and its predecessor series in XY/XYZ. It just hit home so hard that when I read this topic after a long lay-off, it instantly brought to light the video.

For those who wish to view it, simply check it out via Spoiler. I have it set to start at the part in question so you don't have to watch the jokes prior to it. I think the scene speaks for a lot of Pokemon fans regarding Pokemon Sun and Moon. Speaking of which... the last Episode actually made me think of Voltron. It made me giggle and shudder at the same time.

LUXIOtheBEST

*Luxio//Hacks*'s New Account
Years
Well some episodes are good and some episodes are bad. Some people are fans of the Sun/Moon series and some people are not. But at least it's better than the Black/White series.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Well some episodes are good and some episodes are bad. Some people are fans of the Sun/Moon series and some people are not. But at least it's better than the Black/White series.

Better than Black&White is up in the air honestly. Black&White kept to the traditional journey through the region challenging Gym's to enter the region's Pokemon League. Even though B&W Ash was such a drastic change from D&P Ash in terms of competency, at least he became tolerable by series end. Sun&Moon Ash... I don't know if I will ever come to like the guy(much less the series) and is why PRB12's crack video hit so hard.

LUXIOtheBEST

*Luxio//Hacks*'s New Account
Years
Better than Black&White is up in the air honestly. Black&White kept to the traditional journey through the region challenging Gym's to enter the region's Pokemon League. Even though B&W Ash was such a drastic change from D&P Ash in terms of competency, at least he became tolerable by series end. Sun&Moon Ash... I don't know if I will ever come to like the guy(much less the series) and is why PRB12's crack video hit so hard.
Hmmmm, that's a fair point.

Years

I can see what you mean. My main gripe with SM is the lack of journeying, the main group being too big (and thus some characters not getting proper development) and of course Ash's personality. I really don't like how he's acting way more babyish in this region, and it didn't help that when the first promo poster came out, I was dreading it would be a BW 2.0.

Back