• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Original] Scorching Sands - Part 1 - War of Tears

BadgerDaddy

Cringe culture is my culture
Years
This story is kinda on the adult side, as it may be on the violent side. Other non-family friendly things will be censored, though.

Summery:
She woke up in an unfamiliar desert as part of a promise. The beast took her in and raised her as if she was his daughter. While he did his best to protect her, he couldn't hide the reality of war and politics from her.

Chapter One - Golden Eyes

The sound of the ticking clock made the silence in the room feel louder. Judging eyes stared at the younger woman sitting behind the table, trying to stay composed. It was a battle of minds between two people who knew the truth, but the one who speaks first will determine the outcome.

"Well?" The man asked and narrowed his eyes. He tried to read her body language. He wanted to catch her off guard. He wanted to defeat her.

She smiled at him. She didn't answer. She didn't need to. She already won.

"You don't understand, do you?" He stood up and walked around the table, approaching her. "You almost fucked us up! Big time! And instead of trying to defend yourself, or at least giving me some resemblance of excuse, you just sit here and try to do what? Win the battle of who has the bigger ego? Guess what, Helen, I have the bigger ego."

"Clearly."

And then, at that exact moment, after that single word left her mouth, Helen was fired.

At least I got what I wanted. Helen lied to herself. One lie among many she told to make herself feel better when she had to face the circumstances of her own actions. Her nature and smart mouth got her into so many troubles, she wondered if she could change, or at least put her skills in good use.

She walked the city's streets, trying to forget that horrible meeting. It wasn't horrible because she was fired, it was mostly that way because she didn't tell him everything she wanted to. She wanted to make him take the responsibility. She wanted him to see what a great worker she was. She wanted someone to notice her skills. Her boss wasn't that someone.

She entered the train and found a spot where she could sit alone. She wanted to talk to someone so badly, but random people on the train might not be the address for her misery. Not the misery of losing her job, but the misery of being as lonely as she was. This was the only regret she had in her life. Not being able to keep her connections with people. No friends. No family. She was surprised she stayed sane. Or was that another lie she told herself?

She was staring at the window, looking at the buildings passing by, daydreaming about a different life. An older man sat in front of her, covered in a thick longcoat and a big hat, his gloved hands clutching on an old wooden cane. Helen tried to not stare at him. It's not everyday that she saw someone dressed like this in the middle of August.

She kept to herself until she felt him nudging her with his cane's handle. He was saying something, but the younger woman couldn't understand a word he was saying. It was as if he spoke a foreign language, but one she never heard before. The man sighed and reached into his pocket, pulling out a piece of paper with some scribbles on it.

"I am sorry," Helen said as she studied the scribbles, "but I don't understand."

She didn't see his face, but she could swear that he smiled at her. And when she pocketed the paper, it felt as if the figure saw his heart's desire in front of him. Little did she know that he did. She stood up and felt shivers going down her spine.

"I... I am sorry, but this is my stop..." she mumbled. Everything felt weird. Speaking felt unnatural, and gravity felt so much stronger. She dragged her feet to the train's door, trying to escape the man. She wasn't sure he was the cause of those feelings, but she didn't want to take chances. She wanted to get away from him.

She got out to the platform and felt her legs collapse. She didn't realize she fell until she felt the platform's cold concrete against her burning skin. She couldn't move a muscle. Her limbs felt as if they weighed a ton. In the movies she watched, when someone fell in the middle of a crowded space, people would rush towards them and try to help. Did nobody see her? Or was she really that hated? Maybe someone already called for help and she didn't know?

She felt a gloved hand caressing her forehead and the deep-throated chuckle the figure released sounded almost demonic. She tried to call for help but she couldn't speak. It was as if she forgot how. Is this how she was going to die? Like a ragdoll by the hands of a crazed lunatic? The man opened his thick coat and everything faded to black.

When Helen woke up, she felt like she was drowning. She flailed her arms, trying to swim to safety. She stopped when she realized she wasn't surrounded by water, but by sand. She looked around, trying to figure out where she was and remember what happened.

She was in the middle of the desert. It was nighttime. It was cold. Her last memory was that of the weird man on the train, but he didn't seem to be around. Did he bring her to the middle of nowhere for the sake of getting rid of her body? She tried to stand up but her legs couldn't move. She wasn't sure if they were broken or the man had drugged her so she won't run away. She tried to make a sound, but her throat felt dry and her voice was barely audible.

She kept looking around in hopes of finding help, or else she might end up dead. She noticed a flame in the distance approaching her. She couldn't make up the figure carrying the torch, but hopefully they aren't hostile, or at least, not the coated man from the train. She waved her arms and tried to force sounds for the sake of capturing their attention. It seemed to work, as the flame started to approach her location faster, but when Helen saw the figure holding the torch, her hands dropped. It wasn't human. It was anything but human. It was big and it had horns and claws and it wasn't a human. Did she really die there and the man took her to hell? Was he a divine figure punishing her for the sins she committed? She was only twenty years old. She had her entire life to pay for her mistakes. Was death truly what she deserved?

When the creature approached her, she could make out what it looked like. It was tall. Taller than any person she had seen. Its skin was dark brown and seemed like it had a rocky texture. Its lower body was covered with dark red fur, and its legs resembled those of a raptor. Its muscular hands had long strong-looking nails. Its long hair looked as if it was made out of flames and a pair of long black markhor-like horns. But there was one thing she couldn't take her eyes off - the creature's golden eyes.

It kneeled by her side with a worried expression. Wasn't it about to kill her? To eat her? To punish her? He said something she couldn't understand. It sounded like the same language the man on the train used. She reached her pocket and gave him the crumpled piece of paper the man gave her. The thing carefully took it and read the scrumbled words written on it.

Maybe he is not a monster after all, Helen thought as she studied the creature. It sure seemed gentler than it looked. The creature smiled and looked her in the eyes. It seemed almost emotional. What did the paper say? She wanted to ask it, but it probably won't understand her. And then the creature got closer to Helen and embraced her tightly.

Back