• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Dislike Button and Notification on Tab

Years
We could do something like the Yik-Yak app does, where you can technically down vote a post, but that's essentially a repeat of the old rep system which was.... A fiasco. And I'd rather not have PC resemble Reddit where all that matters are up votes and the like.

Years
We could do something like the Yik-Yak app does, where you can technically down vote a post, but that's essentially a repeat of the old rep system which was.... A fiasco. And I'd rather not have PC resemble Reddit where all that matters are up votes and the like.

Did PC used to have a rep system in the past?

I alway thought it would be good if PC had a rep system or a tally of overall likes a user has been given listed under their overall post count across from their avatar. Presumably however there is good reason why that's not the case?

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
on forums that I've been on with dislike buttons (one, I think? maybe? and it was small) it was usually more of a joke thing than anything. i.e. I post "shenanigans sucks!" and then shenanigans dislikes it and everyone shares a good laugh about it in the end. it's usually far better implemented in a tight-knit community like that one so no one really takes offense when someone else dislikes their post; I can see a lotta people here getting upset when their post is disliked (which is silly but Who Am I To Judge) so I don't think it's a very good idea.

this tab notification stuff sounds pretty cool, though.

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 24, 2020
Please, no dislike button.

I came here to get away from the whole reddit format of instant upvotes/downvotes. Hell, I'd be happy if there were no like button at that. I'm tired of this new internet format full of yes/no non interaction and numbered stickers.
I just prefer seeing people talk and exchange ideas.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
This community (actually, the entire Pokemon fanbase) already whines enough about this and that and a dislike button wouldn't help at all. It would just lead to arguments, people who act like they're 12, spam, you name it.

Sad but true.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
at the same time, what if someone gets hundreds of likes on their posts? that kind of exclusivity to everyone that did NOT get the same likes makes the scenario very similar, so I discourage the use of that argument.

Word. The fact shenanigans got 17 likes and I have 0 makes me feel some type of way. :P

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
ahaha i feel so guilty now ):

Shame on you! I now petition to remove the like button >.> It CLEARLY has a negative effect on both those who wants likes but get none(like they don't matter) and those who get tons of likes(guilt, etc)!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Shame on you! I now petition to remove the like button >.> It CLEARLY has a negative effect on both those who wants likes but get none(like they don't matter) and those who get tons of likes(guilt, etc)!

I don't think this one thread where a lot of people agreed with me that a dislike button is unnecessary and I joked about feeling guilty is at all sufficient evidence to back that up. :\

unless you're joking in which case i now feel both dumb and guilty

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
I don't think this one thread where a lot of people agreed with me that a dislike button is unnecessary and I joked about feeling guilty is at all sufficient evidence to back that up. :\

unless you're joking in which case i now feel both dumb and guilty
mate you're getting clowned hard right now, I'm almost 100% sure he was joking

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Some sites have a feature that marks posts as spam when they receive a certain amount of downvotes compared to their upvotes. I really like that feature because it allows the members to choose what they believe is spam rather than solely what staff members perceive as spam.

As much as I would love that feature here, I'm not sure how it would work out. The majority of the posts on this site receive zero likes, which means that one abused downvote is all it would take for those posts to look bad. Unless enabling a dislike system here inspires members to make more use of the like system, I don't think it's going to work out very well. I would definitely love to see it tested out though.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Some sites have a feature that marks posts as spam when they receive a certain amount of downvotes compared to their upvotes. I really like that feature because it allows the members to choose what they believe is spam rather than solely what staff members perceive as spam.

As much as I would love that feature here, I'm not sure how it would work out. The majority of the posts on this site receive zero likes, which means that one abused downvote is all it would take for those posts to look bad. Unless enabling a dislike system here inspires members to make more use of the like system, I don't think it's going to work out very well. I would definitely love to see it tested out though.

I could see something like this working essentially so long as the "dislikes" were kept private(even to the one who posted it) and that they merely flagged the post for moderator attention. It'd have to be a significant amount tho, so as to not merely overburden the staff with false impressions. That being said, if that were to occur, it might seem like a form of mini-modding which is somewhat frowned upon here. On the other hand, it might provide greater response to actions deemed inappropriate by the community at large--although I can't say that is needed with how well staff currently does their job.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Why do you think we need to have a quick way to tell someone that you don't like their post? It's fine to just like someone's post so you don't need to say "I agree with this." or whatever but "I disagree with this." without any comments is never helpful to anybody and I don't like the idea of facilitating that.
So how is saying "I agree with this" without any comments ever more helpful than the opposite?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
So how is saying "I agree with this" without any comments ever more helpful than the opposite?

Because what more is there to say beyond "I agree"? There's usually no thoughts to give when you've already stated that you're in agreement with what somebody says - in theory, what they said is what you're thinking anyway. If you disagree you obviously have some sort of contradicting opinion or criticism of their post.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
There's no such thing as a "community maturity level", you can't actually gague such a thing. There's only a Boolean value of "will this cause us a lot of problems?" And the answer we got from having the ability to give negative rep was: holy fucking mother of Christ yes.
plz god use bool not Boolean, BASIC is ewwwwwwww >:(

In all seriousness Reddit makes a stellar analogy. And PC can be too soft when it comes to criticism, true. Some don't know how to handle it, but even for those who do all it would do is further cliquiness and other bullshit that we don't want here.

Fuck Reddit for all that was worth. Not to mention their staff are one with that mentality as well, leading to endless drama... I hate drama.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
plz god use bool not Boolean, BASIC is ewwwwwwww >:(

In all seriousness Reddit makes a stellar analogy. And PC can be too soft when it comes to criticism, true. Some don't know how to handle it, but even for those who do all it would do is further cliquiness and other bullshit that we don't want here.

Fuck Reddit for all that was worth. Not to mention their staff are one with that mentality as well, leading to endless drama... I hate drama.
While you return from your tangent, I'd like to say that I don't think it'd be too difficult for someone to ask a fellow member "hey, how come you Disliked my post?" or just further quote and respond to the post they don't like to share their ill feelings. I do believe that some topics and their responses shouldn't be subject to being Disliked, such as threads in Discussions & Debates (or maybe that's the one section they'd actually thrive in?) or Community Announcements, so some sort of option for staff to disable Dislikes in a particular thread or for a member might be a decent thought...

of course I'm just spitballing here, since I agree that Dislikes would inevitably cause some sort of commotion, but it's not like they would be detrimental to any sort of peace balance.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
While you return from your tangent, I'd like to say that I don't think it'd be too difficult for someone to ask a fellow member "hey, how come you Disliked my post?" or just further quote and respond to the post they don't like to share their ill feelings. I do believe that some topics and their responses shouldn't be subject to being Disliked, such as threads in Discussions & Debates (or maybe that's the one section they'd actually thrive in?) or Community Announcements, so some sort of option for staff to disable Dislikes in a particular thread or for a member might be a decent thought...

of course I'm just spitballing here, since I agree that Dislikes would inevitably cause some sort of commotion, but it's not like they would be detrimental to any sort of peace balance.

I think it'd most likely turn into, "WHY'D YOU DISLIKE MY POST YOU <insert favorite expletive here" or "*messages staff member* Members X, Y, & Z disliked my post and are ganging up on me! DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!"

Back