• 8 replies

aeternum

Not Suitable For All Ages

Indiana
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted July 18th, 2019
13,230 posts
6.5 Years
What are your thoughts on heavily stat based things? Would you be interested in playing in an rp where what you could do were defined by a static number? Outbreak is really the only one I know off the top of my head that actually used stats. And for muks and giggles, stat your favorite character in any rp.

HP
Strength
Fortitude
Badassery level
etc

gimmepie

Age 23
Male
Australia
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
20,237 posts
7.4 Years
I generally don't like stat-based games as much, but if they're done well they can be amazing. Outbreak for example, did it so well. I really loved Outbreak.

Stats for McGregor from Outbreak

HP: 20
Strength: 50
Fortitude: 45
Badassery: 2374

Light and Darkness Dragon

Gives Up

Age 26
Male
Seen May 10th, 2016
Posted March 25th, 2016
221 posts
3.6 Years
I loved playing TextQuest on the Pokemon Showdown which was really great roleplaying with hard numbers. Also I DM'd a few times in my life and I've done both stat and non-stat games. If the stats are simple I can do it, but d not make DX op, and a stat like CH not relevant.

Shak

Male
UK
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted June 16th, 2019
879 posts
4.7 Years
I think stats are a good way to retain consistency within RPs, so I'm generally all for them as long as they're used correctly. None of the RPs I'm in right now would benefit from any kind of strength stats for the characters, but in Gunpowder stats like "money" and "bounty" keep track of the characters activity.
I'd do the character stat thing, but I have no idea what the scaling is here :(

Friends for Infinity
RPT | Pairs

"It's so calm."

art by the amazing Infinite

jombii

Crobat is ProBat

Male
Philippines
Seen June 28th, 2019
Posted April 13th, 2019
3,414 posts
5.3 Years
I'm not a big fan of stats on games (yes. I just kind of roll with it everytime I play) and certainly not on RPs. I prefer to just describe how my character does than assign numbers to it. It feels more right.

Although, Outbreak's Perception stat was good.

Retro Bug

Seen July 18th, 2016
Posted May 27th, 2016
1,176 posts
11.2 Years
Yeah, I'd never be able to do a stat RP. It's too... much? for me. I'd probably forget my numbers and I don't think I'd know how much a change in number would make unless the GM spelled it out for me.

"I'm ready for a nap..."
[YOU ARE CHALLENGED BY TIRED STUDENT RETRO BUG]
Pokémon:

The Meta Journey

Evyl

t r a g i c

Male
Junkertown
Seen April 17th, 2018
Posted December 1st, 2017
262 posts
5.6 Years
Stats are rather pointless, and unless you get creative/silly with them and the rules of the RP, they just determine the outcome of things before they happen. Non-combative stats, as in things for like personality traits, is kinda pointless imo because you can just as easily talk about it rather than give a number value that really tells us nothing.
Advertiser Content