• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions (FAQ in first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Toxapex Moveset Help

Here's what I'm thinking.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Bold
Moves: Haze, Toxic, Sleep Talk, Recover

But then I though to myself, "Wait, wouldn't a simple taunt completely shut down my Toxapex?" I could always switch out Sleep Talk with Infestation, and then I'd be good. But I feel like I need Sleep Talk with me just in case, ya know (Naruto reference). Everyone knows Toxapex is a beast so they'd definitely try and put me down so they could have their way with me. Aahhhhhh, I don't know what to do! Hellllpppp!

So then I thought I'd go with...

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rgenerator
Nature: Bold
Moves: Haze, Toxic, Scald, Recover

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The second Toxapex set is the best set because it's not complete Taunt bait, which the first set is. Sleep Talk is best used with Rest to avoid being a sitting duck, or on Choice sets (on Pokemon with rather shallow move pools) so the Pokemon can do something while it's asleep.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Hi I am Creavend

So I'm trying to get into competitive play but I'm basically and amateur. Today I'm looking for some opinions and advice's.

It just so happens that I have a Greninja, he is Modest nature and Mischievous. I want to use him in competitive play but I'm kind of stuck deciding his move set. With his current stats, which I will share in a minute, I think he will do great in Singles… but I'm not sure which moves should I teach him for that purpose. When playing online I had some people using some pretty shady moves on me with Greninja, like using moves with high probability of flinch and not letting me move or using one of those berries that let you move first each time. So that got me thinking in what kind of strategies I can come up to use my Greninja. Although I think he would perform best in Singles, the main objective is to come up with a good Doubles strategy, so I can aim to compete in VGC. I do accept suggestions especifically for smogon rules, but I do intendo to go VGC.

So his stats at level 50

STAT IV EV

HP 145 26,27 0
ATTACK 104 31 4
DEFENSE 87 30,31 0
SP. ATTACK 170 31 252
SP. DEFENSE 88 24,25 0
SPEED 174 31 252

NATURE MODEST CHARACTERISTIC MISCHIEVOUS ABILITY PROTEAN

Right now I have not taught him any TM, and leaved him with the moves he learns just by leveling up. I kept Toxic spikes because I was considering using that move in singles, but with Singles being only 3 pokemon… seems kind of limited in use, so that's why I'm coming here for suggestions.
Current moves: Toxic spikes, Smack down, Extrasensory, Water pulse.

As you can see my Greninja is set up to be a special attacker and I am looking for a way to best take advantage of his Sp attack and Speed. Would that be a hit hard strategy? Rain dance and Hydro pump? Or would it be best to be sneaky with a ghost/Dark type move? Also what is the best way to utilize that protean ability?

I have some ideas of my own but I want to hear some of the ideas or experiences you guy might have on this.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Hi I am Creavend

So I'm trying to get into competitive play but I'm basically and amateur. Today I'm looking for some opinions and advice's.

It just so happens that I have a Greninja, he is Modest nature and Mischievous. I want to use him in competitive play but I'm kind of stuck deciding his move set. With his current stats, which I will share in a minute, I think he will do great in Singles… but I'm not sure which moves should I teach him for that purpose. When playing online I had some people using some pretty shady moves on me with Greninja, like using moves with high probability of flinch and not letting me move or using one of those berries that let you move first each time. So that got me thinking in what kind of strategies I can come up to use my Greninja. Although I think he would perform best in Singles, the main objective is to come up with a good Doubles strategy, so I can aim to compete in VGC. I do accept suggestions especifically for smogon rules, but I do intendo to go VGC.

So his stats at level 50

STAT IV EV

HP 145 26,27 0
ATTACK 104 31 4
DEFENSE 87 30,31 0
SP. ATTACK 170 31 252
SP. DEFENSE 88 24,25 0
SPEED 174 31 252

Right now I have not taught him any TM, and leaved him with the moves he learns just by leveling up. I kept Toxic spikes because I was considering using that move in singles, but with Singles being only 3 pokemon… seems kind of limited in use, so that's why I'm coming here for suggestions.

As you can see my Greninja is set up to be a special attacker and I am looking for a way to best take advantage of his Sp attack and Speed. Would that be a hit hard strategy? Rain dance and Hydro pump? Or would it be best to be sneaky with a ghost/Dark type move? Also what is the best way to utilize that protean ability?

I have some ideas of my own but I want to hear some of the ideas or experiences you guy might have on this.

Best tip I can give you is. Make sure all the IV stats are 31 excluded the IV stat that will be hindered Such as Modest is -atk +Sp attack. You ideally want to make the that attack a 0 so you dont take excess damage if you are confused. If you are running Trick Room. Make sure your Speed IV 0. Any others it really doesnt matter. One thing that should always be 31 regardless of nature is the HP that should always have an IV 31.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hi I am Creavend

So his stats at level 50

STAT IV EV

HP 145 26,27 0
ATTACK 104 31 4
DEFENSE 87 30,31 0
SP. ATTACK 170 31 252
SP. DEFENSE 88 24,25 0
SPEED 174 31 252

Greninja should always run a Naive (for mixed sets) or a Timid nature. Without it, it's outsped by Jolly Terrakion, Jolly Mega Metagross, and and Timid Keldeo, which Timid Greninja gets the jump on. Greninja has a wide move pool and your current set doesn't really take advantage of that:
-Hydro Pump/Low Kick
-Ice Beam
-Gunk Shot
-Dark Pulse/Grass Knot/Extrasensory
Nature: Naive
EVs: 40 Atk/216 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Protean

Gunk Shot is a necessity on Protean Greninja because without it, it struggles against Fairy Pokemon.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Hatched a Modest Turtonator with 6IV's that I'm proud of (favourite Pokemon in Gen7)

Someone recommend me a moveset please :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Merciless: 100% Critical hit against poisoned pokemon.
Venoshock: Doubles base damage when target is poisoned.
Nasty, but the special attack stat seems a bit low.
Is it worth having Merciless on Toxapex?

No. Toxapex is too weak to take advantage of Merciless. It should make the most out of its defensive capabilities with Regenerator. Reliance on the opponent being poisoned isn't good either, considering that grounded Poison Pokemon can get rid of Toxic Spikes by switching in.

Angelroid

Sun X
Years
I need move sets for this pokemon:
Decidueye
Muk (Alola)
Lycanroc (Midday)
Golisopod
Clefable

I'm not sure, what to use for my 6th pokemon.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I need move sets for this pokemon:
Decidueye
Muk (Alola)
Lycanroc (Midday)
Golisopod
Clefable

I'm not sure, what to use for my 6th pokemon.

Here are the movesets that I use for them; now, there many other ways to use those sorts of pokemon, but these are just what I personally use; maybe it can give you some ideas!

Decidueye @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Spirit Shackle
- Defog / Leaf Blade / Toxic

Special Defensive Natured in order to tank hits, root off damage, and remove things like Stealth Rock from the field with Defog.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave

This is a CM sweeper who works sort of like a win condition, but can also spread paralysis.

Muk-Alolan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Atk / 92 Def / 64 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant/Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Gunk Shot/Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak/Brick Break/Fire Blast

This spread allows Alolan Muk to be a sponge of sorts, helping out against the Tapus, or other off threats.

Lycanroc @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Accelerock
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Usually this can serve as a lead; it's fast to utilize Stealth Rock, and Taunt to prevent opposing leads on using Stealth Rock too.

Golisopod @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Aqua Jet

Something to help against stuff like Scizor. Spikes is also there to rack up hazards.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Tapu Koko. Is Naive + Brave Bird/HP Ice a viable combo?

(I've already got a Timid HP Ice, wondering whether Naive is worth it.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
What coverage moves should Tapu Lele be running? Obviously you want to make use of its STABS, but what about the other two slots? Hidden Power Fire is obviously great, but are Shadow Ball or Focus Blast of any use? Are there other beneficial moves it could be running?

Tapu Koko. Is Naive + Brave Bird/HP Ice a viable combo?

(I've already got a Timid HP Ice, wondering whether Naive is worth it.
Gut reaction is not really. Not much use I would think for Brave Bird outside of Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss (which is good):

252 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 221-260 (60.8 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss: 309-364 (71.6 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

But that's assuming full Atk EVs and LO, not to mention all that recoil damage and them carrying Poison STAB. Idk what EV spread you were thinking of either. HP Ice could use some SpA investment anyway, and ripping chunks out of Grounds sounds more important to me than hitting a pair of pokes that could be covered via other means harder, not to mention that Tapu Koko's only physical Electric STAB is Wild Charge. Killing yourself too fast imo.

But I could be missing something here

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Gut reaction is not really. Not much use I would think for Brave Bird outside of Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss (which is good):

252 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 221-260 (60.8 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss: 309-364 (71.6 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

But that's assuming full Atk EVs and LO, not to mention all that recoil damage and them carrying Poison STAB. Idk what EV spread you were thinking of either. HP Ice could use some SpA investment anyway, and ripping chunks out of Grounds sounds more important to me than hitting a pair of pokes that could be covered via other means harder, not to mention that Tapu Koko's only physical Electric STAB is Wild Charge. Killing yourself too fast imo.

But I could be missing something here

Brave Bird is exactly what I was thinking xD

Tbh I was going to run 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe since Thunderbolt would still be the main move. Recoil from Wild Charge/Brave Bird would force me to run Roost or Wish and I'd rather just KO something than attempt to heal.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Brave Bird is exactly what I was thinking xD

Tbh I was going to run 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe since Thunderbolt would still be the main move. Recoil from Wild Charge/Brave Bird would force me to run Roost or Wish and I'd rather just KO something than attempt to heal.
yeah Brave Bird's not really worth it then imo:

4 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 138-164 (38 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
yeah Brave Bird's not really worth it then imo:

4 Atk Tapu Koko Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 138-164 (38 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I ran the calc with Life Orb and it comes to 49.3 - 58.6%, I guess with the omni-present Stealth Rocks it's a 2HKO.

Offensive variants are 2HKOd with Rocks without needing a Life Orb.

So I guess I need to decide who to set up SR (hooray for bank!) and whether Magnet or Life Orb is better for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back