• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shiny pkmn aren't rare anymore

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
Shiny pokémon aren't really that special anymore.
It's hard to NOT encounter shiny pokémon when battling against someone online.
While the encounter rate in-game is still very slim they're far from rare in the pokémon community.

While I do have my doubts that most of these are legit, you can't deny the fact that shiny pokémon aren't special anymore.
I want some of my favorite pokémon to be more unique but shiny isn't the way the go for that anymore.
Even tho in my case, on my game that would be very unique since I'm not a shiny fan and I tend to just release shiny pokémon I get out of eggs ... I mostly ignore those I encounter in the wild.

I wish there were more differences in pokémon ... like Spinda for example or maybe even a way to modify them ourselves. Ribbons, visible sashes (equipping focus sash actually shows them on the pokémon for example), something among the lines. Then again, this comes from a person that plays for fun, I doubt competitive players really care about all of this.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
I play competitively and for fun, and I would love to see the variety that you're talking about. They've already did a few things with gender dimorphism and form differences, and you can even consider dressing up your Pokémon for Contests, etc. as a step in the right direction. We've been able to change our protagonists' appearances for the past two gens, so maybe doing the same to our Pokémon(outside of Contest Halls and the like) will be the next big thing.

And on shiny Pokémon...I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd release them, but I don't particularly care for them either(I have a shiny Kyogre and I wish it was regular-coloured haha). I like to breed my Pokémon for the best combination of nature, ability, and moveset(and sometimes even gender and poké ball), so if I were to also aim to have a shiny Pokémon on top of all that, I'd be breeding for a loooooong time. Thus the main turn-off for me is that, unless you're hacking of course, when you get a shiny you're often stuck with undesirable natures, abilities, etc. I don't IV breed for the same reason, and if you wanted to do that and look for shinies, you'll be looking for even longer still. @_@

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
I play competitively and for fun, and I would love to see the variety that you're talking about. They've already did a few things with gender dimorphism and form differences, and you can even consider dressing up your Pokémon for Contests, etc. as a step in the right direction. We've been able to change our protagonists' appearances for the past two gens, so maybe doing the same to our Pokémon(outside of Contest Halls and the like) will be the next big thing.

And on shiny Pokémon...I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd release them, but I don't particularly care for them either(I have a shiny Kyogre and I wish it was regular-coloured haha). I like to breed my Pokémon for the best combination of nature, ability, and moveset(and sometimes even gender and poké ball), so if I were to also aim to have a shiny Pokémon on top of all that, I'd be breeding for a loooooong time. Thus the main turn-off for me is that, unless you're hacking of course, when you get a shiny you're often stuck with undesirable natures, abilities, etc. I don't IV breed for the same reason, and if you wanted to do that and look for shinies, you'll be looking for even longer still. @_@

The only pokémon you could change for contests was pikachu, a specific one nonetheless.
Since you mentioned it, Oras is by far my favorite game ... dating back to the original, I found it amazing to have some new things, contests, secret bases and with the reboot (oras), flying with latias/latios was a lot of fun imo. The only thing I found a bit sad is that they stuck you with Brennan/may and not the new customizable trainers.
I wish they'd return contests as well as secret bases to Alola cuz I honestly feel like it fits the theme of the game.
Alongside free-flying a charizard.
That was kind of off-topic.

It's not to hard to push your shiny pokémon to perfect IV's anymore with Hyper training. Only thing then is having a good nature/ability and train EV's which did get harder without the super training (in sumo I mean).
I do think that most people hack in their shiny pokémon ... I mean, if I go up against someone with a single shiny, I'd believe it's by luck but a full team of perfectly bred/trained shiny pokémon is suspicious.
I normally gave my shiny pokémon away but now that I'm completely redoing my boxes, aka my pokédex, I'm just releasing the few I still have. If I encounter one (which I haven't done in SuMo yet) I just ignore them.

Thing that started my thought process on shiny pkmn was Gardevoir, which is my second fav pokemon but it's the one I've been moving over from game to game and have been using as my "main". I actually have 2, 1 of which is a shiny but she's just everywhere that nowadays her normal form (unshiny) feels more unique to me.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
The only pokémon you could change for contests was pikachu, a specific one nonetheless.
I was also counting the props you could add to your Pokémon's sprites in Gens 4 and 5. That special Pikachu was an evolution of that, and I doubt it'll end there.

There are ways to increase the chances of finding shinies without hacking. The Shiny Charm is an obvious example, and there's also something to do with random number generation-that isn't quite hacking imo-that a friend of mine takes advantage of for shiny hunting. Nonetheless, I agree with you about teams consisting entirely of shinies, as they always cause me to raise an eyebrow.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
I was also counting the props you could add to your Pokémon's sprites in Gens 4 and 5. That special Pikachu was an evolution of that, and I doubt it'll end there.

There are ways to increase the chances of finding shinies without hacking. The Shiny Charm is an obvious example, and there's also something to do with random number generation-that isn't quite hacking imo-that a friend of mine takes advantage of for shiny hunting. Nonetheless, I agree with you about teams consisting entirely of shinies, as they always cause me to raise an eyebrow.

I actually never played diamond and pearl, and until a few days ago I didn't even know they still had contests in it either. I guess I got a reason to play it now XD
After Emerald I didn't play anything until X/Y came out, just before the release, to get back into it, I bought black 2. I didn't have a ds back in the day so I never had the chance to play diamond/pearl and some of the reboots.

I've heard about something where you can edit your settings and such for certain things. Like lottery and what not but I'm honestly to lazy for that XD
While I rarely do battles online, it's still a part of the game so it counts to me for how rare shinies are.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I'd like to see more variable attributes being added to Pokémon too! I think delving into that area more than they have would be cooler than just alternatively coloured ones. The Ribbon system in DPPt is a good example, but I really wish they'd explored it more in future games.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
I'd like to see more variable attributes being added to Pokémon too! I think delving into that area more than they have would be cooler than just alternatively coloured ones. The Ribbon system in DPPt is a good example, but I really wish they'd explored it more in future games.

With some luck reboots from diamond/pearl will bring us some more variety.
At this point it seems like they always do a reboot after 2-ish new releases.
So hopefully D/P will give us that or maybe Pokémon as a company will start listening to their fanbase and create a full new game with as much to it as possible ... no new pokémon but everything that makes each game unique and enjoyable in one game ... kind of like a mega version

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
I'd like to mention that it's not that Shiny Pokemon themselves aren't rare. It's really that people have gotten smarter about how to find Shiny Pokemon. From RNG abusing methods, Masuda Method w/Shiny Charm, SOS Chaining (especially with Shiny Charm)... Gen VII really took it to a whole new level as far as encountering shinies are concerned. So I can see how this gives off the impression that Shiny Pokemon aren't as rare, but at the end of the day it still all comes down to patience and RNG. After all, it's not like your shiny is guaranteed unless you RNG abuse to the best of my knowledge.

I'd like to mention that you should actually read the initial post before replying ...
I quote:
"Shiny pokémon aren't really that special anymore.
It's hard to NOT encounter shiny pokémon when battling against someone online.
While the encounter rate in-game is still very slim they're far from rare in the pokémon community."

I repeat:

"While the encounter rate in-game is still very slim"

I rephrase:
"While the encounter rate in-game is still the same"

But as reply to your actual comment:
A lot of people do hack their shiny pokémon into the game and not just shiny but IV/EV, ability, nature, etc ... and quite a number of competitive players (tournament joining) have publicly confessed that they do, saying things like:
I don't have the time to put into breeding.
I have better things to do than breed for the perfect pokémon
and more ... google, you'll probably find a few.
And pokémon, gamefreak or whoever's in charge, don't care ... they act as if they do but they don't.
They've made it easier to counter the hacking but as long as the hack is "legit", a pokémon with possible IV/EV, nature, ability and what not, they don't care whatsoever.

and some extra's:

And I gotta say that I do somewhat agree with people who use hacks because it takes a long time to get your pokémon perfect.
But at the same time for people like me (casual) who put a lot of time into a single pokémon trying to get to the best setting possible, it's a bit unfair. But then again, I do wish to keep the pokémon that I catch and put time into training ... which unless extremely lucky will not be that "perfect" pokémon.
One of many things that bug me with all this IV/EV/nature/ability-shiz >.>
Hyper training = good
super training = good
ability capsule ~ hidden ability is bs = not that good
the fact that you can't change natures while this affects stats = complete negative
What's even worse is that I've been passing my Gardevoir from game to game and it feels like it's Ash's pikachu now -_-

End of the comment :D

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
Yes, despite your snippy comment, I'm well aware of what you're talking about. My response was more general and isn't specific to you in particular. Perhaps this was poor wording on my part, in which case my apologies for the misunderstanding, but try correcting me with less rudeness next time.

I didn't mean to be rude ... just saiyan but you're definitely not the first person who seems to think that I do ^^

This has always been a thing. Hacking shinies (as well as other kinds of Pokemon) is by no means some sort of recent phenomena in the Pokemon Community; it's been happening ever since shinies and cheat codes became a thing.

I suppose that's true but with pokémon being more online and me actually trying even harder to improve my favorite pokémon, I just notice it more.
A lot of things are this way. As long as I have no clue of its existence, I'm not bothered by it ... which is only normal, right XD

I haven't been much in the competitive scene, so I don't have much to say here. From the best of my knowledge (and I'm fully aware I can be wrong on this) it's extremely difficult if not impossible to actually enter any sort of official Pokemon tournament (that is, hosted by The Pokemon Company) with a hacked Pokemon. Don't they kind of check for those things?

Unless you're talking about different kinds of tournaments, like unofficial ones?

I was actually talking about the official ones, yes. They do check them but the hacked pokémon that I'm talking about are "legit" as in everything is possible and there's no actual difference between a pokémon that you got in a legit way (breeding, soft reset, etc) and a hacked one.
Some software go in more detail for hacking which has more potential to being made incorrectly however these will actually tell you whether or not your pokémon will go through as legit ... pokéhex is one of the more known softwares.
Also have power save, which gives you all the options but won't tell you whether or not the pokémon is legit so you need to put extra care in what you actually do. I've done some research for a variety of reasons.

If you want a "perfect" Pokemon, then you have to put in the time and effort to obtain that Pokemon through the legal way. Either through RNG abusing or through breeding or (as of Gen VII) SOS Chaining and then Hyper Training it once you get that Pokemon to Lv. 100. Otherwise, it's a slap to the face to every person who plays the game legitimately and puts in the effort for every Pokemon that they have.

It's fine if you're a casual player, but keep in mind that Pokemon is a grindy JRPG. Always has been, always will be. It will always be more advantegeous towards those who have more time to spend dedicating towards IV Breeding/EV Training and the likes.

I definitely don't mind putting in time into it.
Here's the thing tho, back in emerald (favorite game and the only time I actually tried to do something), I caught a Ralts with luck was one of the first pokémon I encountered and first I caught. I spent a lot of time battling with it and over time got quite attached to it but without breeding and specific EV training (which honestly I found quite hard back then) I couldn't actually make her better. Breeding it and going with the newly hatched one ... just doesn't feel the same.

idk what you're talking about here but it seems like your bigger problem is with how Game Freak implements various methods of EV Training/IV Breeding and Natures which... I'm not sure what to say to that? Seems like more of a personal issue.

Perhaps this sentence is worded poorly but I have no idea what this means.

I was talking about the good and bad things in pokémon and how they changed the game to help you train your pokémon. With implemented things to make it all easier but still having certain things hold your newly caught pokémon back, like natures that could go in against your preferred stat.

I suppose as a casual player I'm more " ... attached" to the pokémon I catch and put time into leveling, evolving and doing the journey through several games.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Shiny pokemon are still rare and special. Some don't do shiny hunting. Others have no knowledge on shinies as they never met and heard of them. So shiny pokemon are still valuable.

Back