• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your suggestions for Essentials

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Something I'd love to see happen is an easy way to see what all PBEffects are set to mid-battle. There is probably already some kind of way to do this, but I'd love to see it in Essentials itself as a method like "pbPrintEffects", maybe with a parameter for what effect you want to print if you don't want everything to be displayed. This could be in the normal text bar in battle or wherever else.

This would be useful for testing out abilities and moves, since thing tend not to work whenever I create new stuff and I'm then confused as to what exactly is not working and in such a case, a quick overview would be nice. Running this in a script would be fine, but a shortcut in battle && DEBUG would be nice.

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
Extracting and compiling text for translation purposes could have some improvements.

1. Have a line of separation between a localized line and the next unlocalized line. It'll make easier to see which line to translate, even if the file size triples.
  2. Add pronouns for gender. Languages like Spanish and French have different pronouns depending on the gender of a noun, and in some cases the number matters too. Maybe a system like the one used for handling plural names of items could work perfectly for this.
  3. On lines of text coming from a script, PBS file, or an event, add a comment to a side indicating where exactly is that line of text.
    1. Comments on strings of text in scripts should point out the script section and line where it's defined.
    2. Comments on strings of PBS files should point out the name of the PBS file and the line where it's defined.
    3. Comments on lines from an event should point out the map ID or common event ID.
  4. Use more variables in battle texts, like Pokémon's stats.
EDIT: A couple more suggestions.

1. The Editor should detect whether if intl.txt already exists. If someone selects 'Extract text' by accident, they'd lose all their work if they hadn't made backups.
  2. An alternative would be to recover the file by extracting the files on the intl.dat file. I made a script for this:
Code:
def recoverTexts(intlfile,outfile)
#    return if !@messages
    text=Messages.new(intlfile)
    File.open(outfile,"wb"){|f|
       if text.messages[0]
         for i in 0...text.messages[0].length
           msgs=text.messages[0][i]
           Messages.writeObject(f,msgs,"Map#{i}",text)
         end
       end
       for i in 1...text.messages.length
         msgs=text.messages[i]
         Messages.writeObject(f,msgs,i,text)
       end
    }
end
intlfile could easily be chosen in a way similar to the language selection screen, and if the default value is chosen, it'd do the same as extracting texts from messages.dat.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 17, 2023
I think it's a little odd that v17 allows us to track roaming pokemon using the debug menu option but it doesn't track the roamer in the pokedex once it is encountered, much like how the official games handle it.

I mean, yeah, it's great that we as developers can track where a roamer is in debug mode, but what about the people playing our games? :/

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 13, 2023
I'd like to see more options in the scripts instead of always having only one way to structure things. It seems increasingly true that with each version of Essentials the game template becomes more and more like a later-gen game (i.e. Gen IV or V), and less like a Gen III game.

I don't want to update to v17 personally because it would mean just mountains of work modifying scripts and assets that were "changed" in order to keep my game feeling like it's based off of FrLg.

Some examples from v17 include:
Spoiler:

And since this IS a framework, it would be nice if you could stop moving assets around so much just for the sake of organization, as it makes updating versions a royal pain for people with larger games (i.e. the minor things like renaming and moving sound files to different dirs).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 17, 2023
I'd like to see more options in the scripts instead of always having only one way to structure things. It seems increasingly true that with each version of Essentials the game template becomes more and more like a later-gen game (i.e. Gen IV or V), and less like a Gen III game.

I don't want to update to v17 personally because it would mean just mountains of work modifying scripts and assets that were "changed" in order to keep my game feeling like it's based off of FrLg.

Some examples from v17 include:
Spoiler:

And since this IS a framework, it would be nice if you could stop moving assets around so much just for the sake of organization, as it makes updating versions a royal pain for people with larger games (i.e. the minor things like renaming and moving sound files to different dirs).

^ This. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about porting custom script changes we've made over to a new version, that workload is obviously on us. But we shouldn't have to port over layouts that existed in older versions of essentials that are now gone or heavily altered. I will also not be upgrading to v17 because (as nice as some of them would be to have) the changes/improvements do not outweigh the amount of additional work I will have to put into my game just to get it back to where I last left off prior to upgrading.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
It seems increasingly true that with each version of Essentials the game template becomes more and more like a later-gen game (i.e. Gen IV or V), and less like a Gen III game.
I just see it as improving Essentials. I'm not necessarily trying to emulate a newer Gen of games, although I will adopt newer games' features if they're good. All the features you listed are improvements over how Essentials used to be.

I'd like to see more options in the scripts instead of always having only one way to structure things.
Options are nice, but I'm not going to go so far as to create and maintain multiple completely different and conflicting systems (e.g. party screen layouts). Essentials is just a starting point; it won't try to look like EVERYTHING.

If you have suggestions for any particular options you'd want, say so. This sentence of yours is vague to the point of unhelpful, and the rest of your post is just complaining about progress.

Technically, Essentials is whatever I feel like, and I felt like improving the organisation of the files this time round. I did this ONCE, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't accuse me of doing it constantly. Besides, better organisation of assets is just a good idea, and the new filenames (particularly for audio) are much better now. There's even a wiki page which lists all the audio and what it's for.

That's... not a suggestion. You don't have to update, of course, but you will be missing out on improvements and support.

^ This. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about porting custom script changes we've made over to a new version, that workload is obviously on us. But we shouldn't have to port over layouts that existed in older versions of essentials that are now gone or heavily altered. I will also not be upgrading to v17 because (as nice as some of them would be to have) the changes/improvements do not outweigh the amount of additional work I will have to put into my game just to get it back to where I last left off prior to upgrading.
The same goes for you too.

Years
  • Age 119
  • Seen Aug 7, 2020
Simple addition. It appears there is some support for foreign language mons: Japanese, French, etc. However, there is no icon for it like in the gamefreak games.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
update everything to gen 7,except have HM01 cut,HM02 fly,HM03 surf,HM04 strength,HM05 waterfall,HM06 rock smash,and HM07 dive,each learned by all suitable pokemon from generations 1-7. oh,and because fly is an HM,have TM76 as struggle bug. for related reasons,have TM94 as secret power and TM98 as power-up punch,each learned by suitable pokemon.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Allow idle animations for Pok?mon by default.
Maybe allow FMVs? Or allow trainers to use different Pokeballs for their Pokemon?

Last edited:

Amyrakunejo

Philosophical Pagan Femme Fair Gynesexual Gamer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 24, 2020
There are way too many pages to search through, so feel free to ignore this if it's been suggested, but...

Gen. 3 Secret Bases are awesome; I'd love to incorporate this in my own fangame.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Mar 15, 2024
I want to see a two-page pokedex entry, like if the entry is too large, you can continue reading it touching A or Z, and return in the same way

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
a PBS for regional dexes.

it;s very slow, and repetitive to use the editor/debugeditor to make a regional dex.
I'd love the option to do it in a PBS.txt file. it'd be much quicker, and easier.

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
Years
a PBS for regional dexes.

it;s very slow, and repetitive to use the editor/debugeditor to make a regional dex.
I'd love the option to do it in a PBS.txt file. it'd be much quicker, and easier.

More easy?
You just need to put all region into 'RegionalNumbers'. Example when i added Sobble:
Spoiler:

You just need to put to every single pokemon into pokemon.txt.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 30, 2019
Make it so after you switch Pokemon the cursor resets to the "Fight" button instead of staying on "Pokemon"

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 4, 2020
Make it so it is possible to withdraw and deposit in the "organize boxes"

mybusiness

I believe no one has proposed the implementation of the VS Seeker yet. See what it can be done.

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Oct 16, 2019
Unsure if it's been thrown out there, but I would like to see seasons get implemented. You can also implement a setting which allows for certain species of pokemon to appear when the season is winter for example, but other seasons it won't show up.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 4, 2020
there are seasons but the code is weird. I posted a way of changing it to have it doing the good effect (look for a thread with season in it). for your second wish I think it is feasible maybe with the encounter modifier scripts but I didn't dig in this enough

Last edited:
Back