The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games Games Showcase
Developing Phoenix Rising

Games Showcase This forum is for non-ROM hacked games created by the community. Browse the collection or post your own!

Old June 3rd, 2018 (2:46 PM).

Hi guys!
    First of all, really enjoying the demo! The graphics/music are beautiful, but I would like to give some feedback.
    Other users have mentioned lag and yes, it is very present in this game. At first I thought it was just because I was running on a bad laptop but, others have also expressed their issues with lag so I thought I would do so as well.
    I also find the dialogue with the rival(s?) kind of....... off? Things seem to go fast - maybe I wasn't reading it properly but I felt like you didn't even introduce yourself to Lin and yet she knew your name. People just seemed kinda mean for no reason once you left Nocturne Town.
    But I would also like to report a bug that pretty much broke the demo? I can still run the demo after encountering the bug but I had to close out completely in order to go back to a previous save. Basically, I went to go catch a Riolu (specifically, after completing the factory with Lin) and I threw a pokeball immediately as my starter was over-leveled. It worked fine, but it broke out, no problems. But then I threw another one and the game told me it caught, but then nothing happened. Confused, I ended up throwing another pokeball, as that was the only option presented to me that worked?
    I'm going to have to describe the screenshots I took since I'm not really active here. At all.
    So the first screenshot is the blacked out pokeball floating next to my pokemon, all menus work. but the Riolu sprite is shadowed out, as if the pokemon was in the air? I threw some more pokeballs and the Riolu was still able to attack - yet the game told me it had been caught.
    I decided that this wasn't worth it, so I decided to attack and end the battle - but then I got stuck. My Growlithe used Flame Wheel and then I got stuck in an endless loop. The text would roll saying that the attack was used and the animation would play, but no attack would happen - since the Riolu did not have a health bar since it was caught. The second screenshot was just a screenshot of this. I would like to add that the background would fade out when each attack happened? So it was a black screen with my starter, the text box and the pokeball with the pokeball option. The latter option no longer worked. I left the game running for a few minutes, hoping it would fix itself, but to no avail. I had to close out the game.
    Sorry for the long wall of text! Despite all this I was thoroughly enjoying the demo, but I figured it was worth it to mention in case someone else encountered the same thing. Thanks! Hope you get it fixed.

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 5th, 2018 (9:13 PM).

I apologize if this has been mentioned already, but I'm in Hawthorne forest right now, the very first cut scene, and is it just me, or is that reminiscent "Painful History" from Katawa Shoujo? (Can't post a link, this is my first post).
      Old June 6th, 2018 (2:35 PM). Edited June 6th, 2018 by Chris_P.

Hello!

I just joined the forum, mainly to say a big THANK YOU to the team behind Phoenix Rising. It is stunningly beautiful and smooth for me so far (I am about to pick up my Growlithe!). I love all the little design details, even things like the borderless text boxes for the quest updates, the pokemon forms designs, the maps, the music, everything is spectacular!

I intended to join because I want to start experimenting with game design myself in the near future, but for now I am just going to enjoy what you give us.

I have a technical question to ask:
        Is there any reason for me to download the latest update if the version I am currently using works smoothly for me? I am running the 0.1.2 version.

And I also have a few creative questions to ask and some remarks as feedback if you do not mind:
        1. How come you went with pokemon that only evolve once as starters? In my head it is a more sound choice, since encountering pokemon that evolve twice later on will be that much more rewarding. So it makes more sense as a starting option. But at the same time I was a little underwhelmed when I found out that my starter will not be one to evolve twice unlike in every other pokemon game I've played.
        2. What was the reasoning behind the options you give us for starters? Staryu is probably my favorite of the three available, but at the same time the other two actually having a face makes them more friendly and make Staryu feel like an oddity of sorts.
        3. How did you decide what type their mega forms would be? I am particularly curious about why Starmie turns part ghost. Is it because thematically it makes sense for an otherwordly entity? It feels unexpected since it is part Psychic for that same reason, so it feels like it loses as much as it gains? On the other hand, Arcanine becoming part dragon type makes a lot of sense to me because of the chinese guardian statues influence and I consider Fire/Dragon to be an excellent typing, which is why I am choosing it as my starter.
        4. This is just an observation, I do not want you to think of it as a complaint or an order. In my eyes, despite the great design of its main body, Mega Petilil's wings look off, like they don't fit well. I think it has to do with the fact that the wings are wider closer to the body and it becomes too crowded with details, whereas they could be smaller closer to the body and grow wider towards their outer end instead. Or they could be slimmer all the way through, like dragonfly wings, or simply in the shape of its arms but a little larger, for example. Trying to think of something that would be less distracting, not sure if it helps or if you even care about such things at this point in the development process.

I hope you are not offended, I think that your artists have done a spectacular job, and Arisen Ho-oh may be my most favorite alternate form of any kind in the franchise, official or fan-made, and one of my most favorite pokemon ever, and I say that as someone who actually hates the concept of alternate forms in general! It is beyond gorgeous.

I can't wait to see what Relic Form Florges looks like, I think this may turn out to be my most favorite line in the game.

Finally, I want to say thank you for the artbook too! What an unexpected treasure!
        [edit: I like the version of the Relic Ledyba with the flower pedals neckline better that the final one, it feels more, let's say, "thematic" (=further from being merely a color palette change than the final one is) and more in line with the relatively more intricate design of Relic Ledian.]
        Sorry for the long post! Can't wait for the next episode/full release!

With respect,
        Chris
        Old June 6th, 2018 (7:50 PM).

Nature: Gentle
          Is there a possible way to get the screen size into a bigger size? I am stuck with the small screen. It does not bother me but I was just wondering!! :) Awesome game so far!!!
          Old June 6th, 2018 (11:53 PM).

hi this game looks great
            how many gyms in this version ?
            Old June 7th, 2018 (1:12 AM). Edited June 7th, 2018 by Chris_P.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by ahmed mohamed View Post
              hi this game looks great
              how many gyms in this version ?
              The creators have said there are no badges or focus to a Pokemon League in the game, which I assume means there are no gyms.
              The story challenges are the benchmarks you have to meet instead:
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by seeker View Post
              the game gonna use the old formula? 8 gym's and elite 4?
              We don't use badges as the game has a new formula in how it tells a story. The game is intended to be story driven, and not Pokémon League driven.
              I think the Pokemon League would also make sense as "post-game content" if they ever cared to include one, so that you can see each Gym Leader at full strength with big teams of high level mons and decent strategies.
              Old June 7th, 2018 (1:32 AM).

Really impressed with what you did. My favourite fangame thus far.

Triple bonus points for making my favourite Pokemon, Arcanine, easily available by making Growlithe a starter.

The choices in terms of Pokemon distribution are also really cool. Finished the demo but I feel I have so much power on the team, it's almost unreal for the part of the game.

That said, will there also be some sort of page or something akin to the artbook with like abilities and learnsets of all the Pokemon? Would be nice for the ones that evolve through Stones. (And I also really want to know Relic Roserade's other ability. I know one of its abilities is Stamina, but dunno about the other.)

Also found a small bug. When I dropped my Riolu off in the PC, I took off the Soothe Bell it held while in the PC. When I took it back out and wanted to give it back, the Soothe Bell was nowhere to be found and since I can only buy one in the gateshop, it's now gone. Don't know if it was already brought to your attention, but figured it wouldn't hurt.

Keep up the work, guys. You're doing great.
                Old June 7th, 2018 (2:37 AM).
                A Blue Water-type

Nature: Quiet
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by WinterArisen View Post
                  Hi guys!
                  First of all, really enjoying the demo! The graphics/music are beautiful, but I would like to give some feedback.
                  Other users have mentioned lag and yes, it is very present in this game. At first I thought it was just because I was running on a bad laptop but, others have also expressed their issues with lag so I thought I would do so as well.
                  I also find the dialogue with the rival(s?) kind of....... off? Things seem to go fast - maybe I wasn't reading it properly but I felt like you didn't even introduce yourself to Lin and yet she knew your name. People just seemed kinda mean for no reason once you left Nocturne Town.
                  But I would also like to report a bug that pretty much broke the demo? I can still run the demo after encountering the bug but I had to close out completely in order to go back to a previous save. Basically, I went to go catch a Riolu (specifically, after completing the factory with Lin) and I threw a pokeball immediately as my starter was over-leveled. It worked fine, but it broke out, no problems. But then I threw another one and the game told me it caught, but then nothing happened. Confused, I ended up throwing another pokeball, as that was the only option presented to me that worked?
                  I'm going to have to describe the screenshots I took since I'm not really active here. At all.
                  So the first screenshot is the blacked out pokeball floating next to my pokemon, all menus work. but the Riolu sprite is shadowed out, as if the pokemon was in the air? I threw some more pokeballs and the Riolu was still able to attack - yet the game told me it had been caught.
                  I decided that this wasn't worth it, so I decided to attack and end the battle - but then I got stuck. My Growlithe used Flame Wheel and then I got stuck in an endless loop. The text would roll saying that the attack was used and the animation would play, but no attack would happen - since the Riolu did not have a health bar since it was caught. The second screenshot was just a screenshot of this. I would like to add that the background would fade out when each attack happened? So it was a black screen with my starter, the text box and the pokeball with the pokeball option. The latter option no longer worked. I left the game running for a few minutes, hoping it would fix itself, but to no avail. I had to close out the game.
                  Sorry for the long wall of text! Despite all this I was thoroughly enjoying the demo, but I figured it was worth it to mention in case someone else encountered the same thing. Thanks! Hope you get it fixed.

Huh.. i had no problems with catching riolu...
                  Old June 8th, 2018 (12:53 PM).

Hey :) I've downloaded the game and it is very good so far. But it would be great if you add two things:
                    -key bindings change option
                    -speed changer (pokemon games are sloooow without it)
                    Old June 10th, 2018 (1:51 PM).
                    Praise the sun!

I'm enjoying the game so far, and I can already see that it will be a masterpiece when it's completed. However, I did notice that my Lucario was not able to learn aura sphere upon evolving. I haven't used one in quite some time, so my memory might be playing tricks on me, but if it was supposed to learn it upon evolving... Well, that's one bug I hope gets fixed.

Because now I won't be able to get it until I find the move relearner, and I'm most likely not able to even use him since you need heart scales for that guy, not to mention that he might be in areas not available as of yet.
                      Old June 10th, 2018 (3:25 PM).

Nature: Sassy
                        Hey there! My only complaint so far is that its near impossible to catch pokemon? i have to throw at least 12 pokeballs to catch each mon at a sliver....
                        Old June 12th, 2018 (8:46 AM).

I am enjoying the game but my exp share that skiddo was holding disappeared. It is not held by any pokemon in my team nor in the bag. I hope this bug is fixed asap. Keep up the great work on the game.
                          Old June 12th, 2018 (1:02 PM).

I've begun making music this summer and would like to show you a song that I made.
                            I know that I'm not a professional, but feel free to use my music in any way, If it peeks your interest, of course. I'm sorry if I've wasted your time.

Yours Truly: Judah

Link: https://soundcloud.com/self-aware-analytic/june

P. S. I used FL Studio 20.
                            Old June 12th, 2018 (5:56 PM). Edited June 12th, 2018 by villageelder54.

Just finished the first episode (or so I believe) and all I know is that I can go no further. I really hope episode 2 will be released in the next few months because aside from the lagging and battle scenes not exactly being what I thought, I absolutely LOVE the story line. A friend referred me to the game at the beginning of the month and I'm a big fan.

Anyway, keep doing what you are doing!

I'd also like to know how you plan to incorporate Scizor in this game without trading capability. It is one of my favorite Pokemon and I was able to catch the bridge smasher on the first ball.
                              Old June 13th, 2018 (1:19 PM).

You guys should send a clip of this in for the fangame/romhack E3 hosted by Kaze Emanuar!
                                Old June 14th, 2018 (8:58 PM).
                                Noob

Nature: Quiet
                                  Whenever I open the game, a popup appears saying "Failed to load script.".
                                  Can anyone tell me how can I fix this?
                                  Old June 15th, 2018 (3:39 AM). Edited June 15th, 2018 by Chris_P.

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by NeonNoob04 View Post
                                    Whenever I open the game, a popup appears saying "Failed to load script.".
                                    Can anyone tell me how can I fix this?
                                    Pretty sute there is a file named 'troubleshooting' or something similar somewhere in the game's folder that will be of help. Also, most possible issues have been mentioned/discussed/resolved in their reddit page ( you can find a link at the bottom of the first post of the thread ), you should take a look. I've seen what you're describing mentioned there before.
                                    Old June 15th, 2018 (11:33 AM).
                                    PreciousArcanine PreciousArcanine is offline

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Chris_P View Post
                                      Pretty sute there is a file named 'troubleshooting' or something similar somewhere in the game's folder that will be of help. Also, most possible issues have been mentioned/discussed/resolved in their reddit page ( you can find a link at the bottom of the first post of the thread ), you should take a look. I've seen what you're describing mentioned there before.
                                      Hi, I have the same script error as this person. I went through the troubleshooting folder, but the provided solutions do not seem to help me (and many other people who have this particular issue).
                                      The script error the post in their troubleshooting folder is not the exact same error we see when trying to start the game. Just to be safe I checked the solutions for it anyway, but it doesn't work. My Phoenix Rising isn't in a folder with any accent characters, and all my files are extracted properly (the same way I did the 1.2 version of the game). And those are the only solutions they have for this problem, which sadly doesn't solve the issue for me. Q_Q

So I, too, am hoping someone will have some tips to help get rid of the issue for me. ^^
                                      Old June 20th, 2018 (11:24 AM).
                                      X}

Nature: Adamant
                                        Been a loooong time since I posted on this forum but I felt like it after playing this.

There is some lag as you already know, in order to help you out, I'll list my specs.

Windows 8.1 64 bit
                                        8 GB RAM @ 1600 mhz
                                        NVIDIA 970M with 3GB VRAM
                                        i7 4720HQ @ 3.6 Ghz

I've tried limiting the game to a single core, I've tried going in the NVIDIA control panel and lowering the texture filtering to performance/high performance.

Sometimes it seems to help and other times the lag is persist regardless.

Enough about that though!

Out of the many fan games I've played this little demo has proven that this might be as good or better than Pokemon Insurgence in some ways.

I'm an VERY intrigued in the breeding/Adventuring skill trees and the Relic Pokemon look just as well designed as Insurgence's Delta Pokemon.

I'm hoping that the breeding skill tree allows you to significantly cut down the time and effort to make competitive Pokemon by allowing easier move inheritance, easier perfect IV's, and perhaps more effective EV training.

I don't know what you guys were planning for it but that would be amazing if it was somewhere on the skill tree.

I can't tell you how excited I am to begin building one of those skill trees.

I'm also very intrigued about the different game play each guild will have.

I'm rooting for you, please take your time and deliver something that exceeds our expectations and proves your potential as developers twice over.

Ahahah... No pressure though, seriously. I know you'll continue to do your best.

I'll be awaiting the next episode eagerly and hopefully.
                                        Old June 20th, 2018 (4:30 PM).
                                        OverlordEclipse OverlordEclipse is offline

The game is amazing although i hope you can add customizable controlls such as the default cancel button being x amd action buttons being enter, spave, and c. I would like to be able to customize the layput of these controls.
                                          Old June 23rd, 2018 (6:32 AM).
                                          Pokestick, good times. Pokestick, good times. is offline
                                          cheeky

Nature: Impish
                                          Hi peeps!

Glad you're enjoying the game. Just wanted to let you know that a lot of team members are on a break at the moment, so we might not answer as much or quickly as we'd like. We do read it all and we're aware of the me mentioned bugs.

The choice of starters and the design of their megas happened so long ago that I frankly am not sure why it is as it is. I suspect that Gav simply wanted to use a Growlithe as a starter, and the other two were picked to fit the evolution method. It's certainly a unique trio, which is cool.

The screen size used to be adjustable, but there were bugs associated with it, so we've removed the function for now.

The pace was high around the initial release time and the several months leading up to it, so we hope you're okay with us now taking it a bit slower. We all have work and school, after all.
                                          Old June 23rd, 2018 (12:30 PM).
                                          X}

Nature: Adamant
                                            Just make sure you finish it by the time I'm 30 so I can escape from the fact that I'm getting old by then! ^_^

Jk lol. Yeah, yeah. Take your time. We'll be waitin'. More important that you keep up this level of quality than anything else.
                                            Old June 29th, 2018 (10:25 AM). Edited June 29th, 2018 by Kyuubi-sama.

just a quick question does friendship work like Gen 6, Gen 7 or heartgold/soulsilver also what times are day and night? sorry for the bother
                                              Old June 30th, 2018 (6:31 AM).
                                              PreciousArcanine PreciousArcanine is offline

Hi, ,I still seem to experience a 'failed to load script' error, and the troubleshooter sadly doesnt help fix the issue (the screen provided is not the exact error I get, and none of the tips provided in the troubleshooter are 'fixable' for me because I already extracted correctly and my folder doesn't have accent characters)
                                                Anyone have a tip? Really appreciate it :)
                                                Old June 30th, 2018 (5:18 PM). Edited June 30th, 2018 by Kyuubi-sama.
                                                Kyuubi-sama Kyuubi-sama is offline

So not really important but anyone else's starter from 1970 or is that just me?
                                                  also just got past the factory it was clever of you guys to reunite the sisters like that hat's off to you game dev's

Quick Reply