• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: FireRed 649 Patch

Hack save routine for extra saveable space? Would break compatibility with flashcarts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2023
Hello, very good patch, have not yet had a chance to prove it, but from what I read are very good things that implements! But, I coming to give you an idea. It would be nice to somehow divide the code so that we apply only the things we need, as did the JPAN's hacked engine.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
A lot of the code is reliant on other bits of code being present, to be honest.
I did like that JPAN's hacked engine was able to do that, but I have neither the expertise to make a tool to do it, nor the will to split the patch up into seperate pieces so it'll work, so basically you'll need to have all or nothing.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Jambo51 said:
Ignore weird sprites in Pokédex, or lack of sprites in some situations. It's down to the code for Male/Female sprites being present, but the sprites are not. - Fixed

Extended Pokédex - All Pokémon currently available (as of 22/11/2011) are included in the patch - cries, sprites and all.

Does this mean that all sprites should be working in battles as well? If so, for some reason I'm still having problems with certain pokemon being spriteless (Roserade, Biberal, etc)...

Also, I have a question about using your INI with PGE. How exactly am I supposed to set it up? I replaced PGE's with yours, and got error messages. :(

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Does this mean that all sprites should be working in battles as well? If so, for some reason I'm still having problems with certain pokemon being spriteless (Roserade, Biberal, etc)...

Also, I have a question about using your INI with PGE. How exactly am I supposed to set it up? I replaced PGE's with yours, and got error messages. :(

They're fixed on my version of the ROM. What's causing that is that I only bothered to fix up to Donphan for the male/female sprites so far. It takes a long time to do, and is rather boring and repetitive, so I kinda left it for now.

As to the INI, you just replace the existing one, but you also need to open the options menu and turn on the various options listed there. That's because a lot of the new stuff relies on different data structures from the original.

Gamer2020 was nice enough to add extra code to PGE to support it. :)

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Jambo51 said:
They're fixed on my version of the ROM. What's causing that is that I only bothered to fix up to Donphan for the male/female sprites so far. It takes a long time to do, and is rather boring and repetitive, so I kinda left it for now.

Ah, alright then. Thanks for clarifying.

Jambo51 said:
As to the INI, you just replace the existing one, but you also need to open the options menu and turn on the various options listed there. That's because a lot of the new stuff relies on different data structures from the original.

I didn't turn on the options. Works now, thanks!

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
This is really really cool. But you might want to implement a way to get the national pokedex right away or something, because without that it doesn't make sense to have all of these pokemon available yet unaccountable.

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Isn't it like that normally? You can only get 151/385 until after the league? It'd be the same here, except it'd be 151/649.

I realize this, but what's the fun in playing with Pokemon that can't evolve at all until you beat the elite four and catch 60 Kanto Pokemon? That takes most of the meta-game out of it.

And I'd love to put it in the game myself, but to be honest, I really have no idea how.

Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2023
Ok, well, it was a suggestion, sure someone will have served.
Like, I will continue here to report bugs ;)

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I realize this, but what's the fun in playing with Pokemon that can't evolve at all until you beat the elite four and catch 60 Kanto Pokemon? That takes most of the meta-game out of it.

And I'd love to put it in the game myself, but to be honest, I really have no idea how.

The Pokémon all evolve anyway. I patched the code so that evolutions would happen regardless of whether you have the national dex or not. It's up to the hacker to change the other stuff to suit their hack, as I see no point in doing it for them.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
So far it's sounding quite good. When the movesets are in I might be likely to try it. If you cannot use the new pokemon in A-Map, then how do you find them in the wild?

SonOfASubmariner

Not the only one with an avatar R/B Golbat related
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 19, 2017
I'm liking this hack. When it's all complete and bugs and glitches are almost nonexistent, this hack will be an undertaking in 3rd Gen hacking history.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I'm liking this hack. When it's all complete and bugs and glitches are almost nonexistent, this hack will be an undertaking in 3rd Gen hacking history.

Most of the bugs are gone in my version of the ROM. Hopefully I'll be in a position to let people actually properly USE the patch on the next release, rather than simply test it.

So far it's sounding quite good. When the movesets are in I might be likely to try it. If you cannot use the new pokemon in A-Map, then how do you find them in the wild?

Hex edit the wild data. Sadly, as of now, it's the ONLY way to do it. Sorry.
As to the movesets, i'll get round to it when I can.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
hey Jambo, i tried the latest beta and i cant seem to be able to open the pokedex.... am i doing something wrong...?

Uuuuuuuuh... *is completely bemused*.
Have you set the flag to give the Pokédex, because if you have, it should work...

Just curious, but about how much more data will this consume in the ROM? And where is it stored?

A lot, to be quite frank. The data and routines, so far, take up from 0x71A000 (or wherever the free space starts) to 0x760200 (approximately). The cries take up from 0x800000 through to 0xBD0000 (roughly - and yes, that is B, not eight). The sprites take up less space, but since I plan to remove/replace these anyway, it's not important for now. But for completion's sake, the sprites/pallets take up from 0xDC0000 (roughly) to 0xF20000 (roughly).

EDITED TO ADD: I've just realised i've forgotten to include Shaymin's alternate cry.

smilewolfy

pokemon photographer
Years
Good Job :) I can't wait for the next release (when it's good enough to use) so I can use it on my own hack.

Quick question (since I'm noob at hacking :/) I've already started mapping for my hack, if I use this patch (eventually) will it overwrite the maps and make me put them in again? 0.o (Note: I already know about exporting and importing maps in A-map :D)

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
this will make fire red hacks playable again :O.keep it up :D

Don't see why this should change that. The stuff I'm adding isn't in RSE either...

Keep it up! I'll be using this patch eventually.

Good stuff :D

Good Job :) I can't wait for the next release (when it's good enough to use) so I can use it on my own hack.

Quick question (since I'm noob at hacking :/) I've already started mapping for my hack, if I use this patch (eventually) will it overwrite the maps and make me put them in again? 0.o (Note: I already know about exporting and importing maps in A-map :D)

Yes, it will overwrite them. In fact, it will overwrite a LOT of stuff, so make sure you keep all your scripts (etc) backed up so you can reinsert them.

I understand that you probably don't want to wait, but you'd be better to if you want to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back