• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Black+ & White+

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 3, 2023

Introducing the game idea from a game designer/developer who has no idea how to do hexcode!

banner.png

Pokemon Black+ and White+ is a currently in concept ROM Hack with the goal to improve the experience of the base game and add minor additional content. It is meant to be workable with Chuggaconroy's letsplay of the game, so it tries to deviate very little in content while still fixing the game's flaws and adding more content.​

As a game designer and game developer, I have not myself delved into hack development, which is why I am making this post. I not only want to showcase my fangame idea, but also want to know how/if the various ideas listed in this can be done. Resources seem to be rather small for ROM Hack development, especially for Gen 5. I hope this post can help provide me with the knowledge to perform these tasks, as well as hopefully gaining feedback on the ideas listed.​

What's going to be in the hack?

• All trade evolutions will be changed to something else. Already finished!
  • Shinylocking will no longer exist for any pokemon, to quench the thirst of shiny hunters and possibly provide a unique experience to a lucky player.
  • Seasons will be shorter than usual to allow you to experience them all in one average playthrough.
  • Zorua and Zoroark will be more easily obtainable by changing the requirements for their events. Needing a Celebi is just evil.
  • All Unovan Mythical Pokemon will be available to battle at some point in the game, thus allowing you to experience their events. Liberty Ticket will be obtainable while in Castelia City. In the postgame you may find other legendaries as well...
  • Some means to obtain Dream World pokemon in case that's your jive.
  • Various allusions to future BW2 story. Which leads to one or the larger changes in the hack...
youngcolress.png

Yep! Its Colress. I thought it was odd that he was never included in BW as some sort of side character, so I thought I'd try to change that. Colress will play a minor role in the game, now being one of the scientists who created Genesect in the P2 Lab. I thought I'd give him a less eccentric look to him, as this would be years before the events of BW2.​

Any extra ideas would be greatly appreciated, as well as pointers on how to do things like add new events and change the criteria for certain events.

Thanks for reading!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 16, 2024
I can tell you're a very good artist, because those logos are sexy.

If you don't know much about gen 5, I would suggest switching to gen 3.

Gen 5 has very little documentation and you can't change much in the game.

You can have a gen 3 game with gen 5 graphics, though its not easy. Just look at Pokemon Life version.

So that's my advice.

YoY-X

bootycable
Years

You can have a gen 3 game with gen 5 graphics, though its not easy. Just look at Pokemon Life version.

So that's my advice.

I agree! You should hack FR or EM, they have a lot of good resources too. i even have FR sprites for Hilbert too.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 3, 2023

So that's my advice.

Hey! Thanks so much for the recommendation and I will be sure to make a Gen 3 game at some point in the future. I am currently choosing Gen 5 as it is one of my favorite generations, and although I can't change much I can improve the original experience in many ways which is the goal of this hack.

I really enjoy a good challenge, and it turns out that a good amount of information on Gen 5 has been spread thinly across the web. Its a bit hard to find but it seems that you can do a lot of cool stuff, which brings me to the next thing in this post...

Progress Update!

After slaving away for all of yesterday and this morning, I have finally tested my skills by editing something rather unique, the title screen!

wow_it_works.png

Although I am not too confident on the new logo, I am incredibly happy that I was able to put this logo into an actual ROM. Unless there is another example, I think this could be a first for Gen 5 hacking. I plan on making a video tutorial for editing the title screen soon, as I had to mix and mash a bunch of different tutorials together to get this working. Its a small touch, but this will inform the user right away if they successfully installed my hack or not.

Version 0.1 of the hack will be small and basic. It will add:
  • Edited Evolutions to work better within an emulator. Also a possibility of edited evolution levels for pokemon like Scraggy. Will need input from users.
  • Edited Title Screen
  • Edited Professor Text
  • Placeholder NPC/NPCs to give you Liberty Pass, Celebi, and the three Johto dogs so that you can experience all that the game has to offer. This will no doubt take the most time.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 16, 2024
Hey! Thanks so much for the recommendation and I will be sure to make a Gen 3 game at some point in the future. I am currently choosing Gen 5 as it is one of my favorite generations, and although I can't change much I can improve the original experience in many ways which is the goal of this hack.

I really enjoy a good challenge, and it turns out that a good amount of information on Gen 5 has been spread thinly across the web. Its a bit hard to find but it seems that you can do a lot of cool stuff, which brings me to the next thing in this post...

Progress Update!

After slaving away for all of yesterday and this morning, I have finally tested my skills by editing something rather unique, the title screen!

wow_it_works.png

Although I am not too confident on the new logo, I am incredibly happy that I was able to put this logo into an actual ROM. Unless there is another example, I think this could be a first for Gen 5 hacking. I plan on making a video tutorial for editing the title screen soon, as I had to mix and mash a bunch of different tutorials together to get this working. Its a small touch, but this will inform the user right away if they successfully installed my hack or not.

Version 0.1 of the hack will be small and basic. It will add:
  • Edited Evolutions to work better within an emulator. Also a possibility of edited evolution levels for pokemon like Scraggy. Will need input from users.
  • Edited Title Screen
  • Edited Professor Text
  • Placeholder NPC/NPCs to give you Liberty Pass, Celebi, and the three Johto dogs so that you can experience all that the game has to offer. This will no doubt take the most time.

Wow man, it looks amazing!

You're really intent on hacking gen 5. I respect that and wish you the best.

Keep us posted if you don't mind

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 21, 2020
I?m curious as to how you added in the Liberty ticket. Is it a script or something? I?m new to gen 5 hacking but I?d like to do that in my own hack as well.

Back