• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Kanto's Throwback

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
After you've defeated Johto's Elite Four and Champion thus entering the hall of fame becoming a pokemon champion yourself, you get a Ticket to ride the S.S Aqua from Olivine City, all the way to Kanto. If you remember playing R/B/Y first, this might of been a nostalgic twist for you!

28.gif
29.gif
30.gif
31.gif
33.gif
32.gif
34.gif
35.gif

However, the Kanto region from the R/B/Y games years ago got a few changes that were brought upon the GSC games. For instance, Janine is the new leader of the Fuchsia Gym. Obviously because, her father Koga became a member of Johto's Elite Four. Her pokemon aren't too different from her fathers, as you'll see Weezings and the signature Venomoth, and she even dresses up like a ninja! And like her father, she gives you the TM Toxic if you win.

Blue is now the Gym leader of the Viridian City Gym. Blue becomes the new manager of the 8th gym, ever since the whole Team Rocket fiasco that went down during the old R/B/Y games, so, yes, Blue now steps in to fufill that role, and you'll probably remember the majority of his team like Rhydon, Pidgeot, Arcanine, and so on, except his main starter pokemon. He's more of a diverse gym leader!

The Pokemon Tower has been replaced by a Radio Tower. But not worry about the gravesites, they were moved into the newly added Soul House. You can't go upstairs in the Radio Tower though, since it's blocked by a guard ever since what happened to Goldenrod's Radio Tower, taken over by team rocket.

There's many more things on what happened to Kanto over the years, but still, the main point of this thread is discussion!

Did you enjoy travelling throughout the Kanto region, as part of GSC's post game? What would you liked to see in Kanto? What were any disappointments? What would you add? Feel free to discuss and share ideas!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I enjoyed traveling on the Kanto region and I remember getting stuck and not knowing on how to get to the next city.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
If there were any disappointments is that the Kanto Gym Leaders should have had a minimum of five Pokemon each. Yet Misty and Erika only have four while Sabrina and Blaine only have three! Misty deserved at least a Kingdra, Seaking or Gyrados(*cough Pokemon Chronicles plus every subsequent Anime Episode post that cough*) while Erika could have had a Vileplume in addition to Bellossom. As for Sabrina, Hypno and Exeggutor or Slowbro would have been solid additions and finally Blaine who could have had Ninetales and his signature Arcanine from RBY(So what if Blue has Exeggutor and Arcanine...).

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2022
This is why I loved Gold/Silver/Crystal so much. To be able to go back to Kanto and see what's changed.

Some of the changes I was disappointed with like the missing safari zone or the missed Pokemon Tower.
But it was good to see how things change over time. It was a great feeling giving the old gyms a run once more.

But I wanted both Johto and Kanto to have their own Elite Fours.

Years
I enjoyed returning to the Kanto and see how much it changed. It was great to see all the old faces and beat them once again. But I would like to see them using more Pokémon.

And I still can get lost in the story part.

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
Years
It was exellent. Being able to experience Kanto on color was great, my only problem was the lack of safari zone. It was one of my favorite features of the game, and was t ied to an excellent glitch. seeing it gone was a bit off-putting, but other than that it was exellent

Years
Overall, I think it is really cool and unique. I always wondered why more of the main series games did not adopt Johto's model and offer the split region with new conquests. I think its the ultimate post game. I enjoyed riding the S.S Aqua back and forth and the magnet train, seeing how our old friends from Kanto had changed like Misty's romance woes and Blue taking over the Viridian City gym, all of them obviously stronger. We had twice the number of gyms to explore and a final game boss, massages by Daisy Oak. The only thing I wish is that the Pokemon Tower was still there at Lavender Town. I would have kept the original music. It was so iconic, and perhaps added a small quest with ghosts that still haunt the city. Otherwise I really like the way they handle the transition from the music of Johto to Kanto, at first it is very surprising initially to hear the old battle themes play suddenly, but cool and nostalgic!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I did appreciate there being so much postgame after defeating Johto's E4. It was actually interesting postgame, and not just more difficult battles. There were stories and things for the player to do that affected so much of the world.

My one problem with the Second Coming of Kanto was how much of a joke the Gym Leaders were. As soon as the player lands in Kanto, the Gym Leaders have lower levels than the E4. They didn't offer as much challenge as I was looking for the last time I played through Crystal, until I got up to Blue.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 23, 2018
It was really really cool that the developers included the old region. It made a great game even better.

At the same time, I would've liked to see every area from Red, Blue and Yellow recreated and expanded. I believe they couldn't do this due to time restraints and performance issues such as memory restraints on the games. They did really well with what they had.

Imagine being able to actually go to Cerulean Cave and catch Mewtwo though, having a full Cinnabar island, Safari Zone etc. So yeah, it would've been swell to have all the old areas recreated with the new palette:

Seafoam-Islands-B4F-Transition-Optimised.gif

Last edited:
Back