• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon FireRed - RNG Strikes Back

Mechakhan

OH NOES! A VIRUS HAS BEEN DETECECETD!
Years

Pokemon FireRed - RNG Strikes Back

Hello Pokécommunity! I am Mechakhan and today I present to you yet another ROM hack of Pokémon FireRed.
This hack follows the same story as Pokémon FireRed. However, as you play it, you'll have the worst luck you can possibly imagine. Everything from critical hits to the rate you'll be receiving eggs from the Day Care has been altered to be against your favor. This is a complete list of what's been modified:
Spoiler:

A few examples of these modifications in action:
Spoiler:

Bugs:
Spoiler:

Many thanks to JPAN and his research about FireRed's Battle data RAM structure, which made reverse engineering the battle routines a lot easier.
I would also like to thank MissingnoXpert, who came up with the idea for this hack in the first place.

If there is anything RNG related I've forgotten about or if you've found a bug, please let me know and I'll upload an updated patch.

That's about it. Give it a shot if you want an unfair challenge, or... I dunno, if you like getting haxed for some reason. :P

Attachments

• Pokemon FireRed - RNG Strikes Back 1.03.ips
    3.1 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Years
could 0HKO moves always land?
does focus band work unlimited number of times?
does protect/detect work 5 times in a row?
does ancient power / silver wind always raise user stats?

Last edited:

Mechakhan

Years
could 0HKO moves always land?
does focus band work unlimited number of times?
does protect/detect work 5 times in a row?
does ancient power / silver wind always raise user stats?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Generation 3 has a glitch that makes Protect, Detect and Endure access random data and treating it as a percentage chance for the move to work. Since the maximum amount of PP any of the moves can have is 16, and the random data that is accessed during those 16 uses of the move is never 0, it is possible to, in theory, successfully use protect until it runs out of PP. In conclusion, Protect, Detect and Endure will never fail.
4. Yes

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 24, 2021
this sounds like a cool challenge but i cant get it to work. In the very first battle my pokemon is a bad egg and attacking with it freezes the game or crashes it. It doesnt matter which starter i choose

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 25, 2021
I found a shiny kokuna in the wild lol, so the no shiny thing seems to be broken

Mechakhan

Years
this sounds like a cool challenge but i cant get it to work. In the very first battle my pokemon is a bad egg and attacking with it freezes the game or crashes it. It doesnt matter which starter i choose

That is strange. Are you using a Firered 1.0 ROM when patching? If it says "presents" under the GAME FREAK logo in the opening, it's 1.1, which is not compatible with the patch.

That's a really cool idea,looking forward to play it.

Thanks a ton!

I found a shiny kokuna in the wild lol, so the no shiny thing seems to be broken

Actually, you're completely right! I just checked my code and I made an oversight. I'll see if I can upload a patch that fixes this. But congratulations for finding an "impossible" shiny lol!

Years
This was an interesting way of fun. I beat it with this team https://imgur.com/aYVRzqd
I played on Set Mode while not using items during battle. I also disabled EV gain because EVs are unfair vs 0 IV 0 EV opponents with bad sets. I also tried to not overlevel.
I like how despite the whole game revolving around RNG, theres actually no RNG in practice. This has been the most consistent battling i've done in a FRLG environment.
-----------
For the most part it was a decent challenge but there were a couple notable terrifying opposing pokemon:
-Misty's Starmie:
Has vastly superior stats than anything you can have, and will always outspeed and oneshot you with water pulse. And even if you survive you are confused, so basically dead. Apparently you can manipulate the AI into using swift on a grass mon so that you can whittle it down that way. Although most of my damage on it came from the level 29 dugtrio i caught in diglett's cave (yes i had to skip her to go get that).
-Catching a wild Dugtrio in Diglett's Cave(renamed to Hell):
Its not only about the decreased catch rate. If you dont overgrind, you'll be at around level 21-22 by the time you reach there. It WILL outspeed you, ohko you with nearly every move, you won't be able to swap mons around. To catch this i needed to sweet scent with gloom, die, revive and sweet scent again, die, then use stun spore with Paras (resists ground x4) before lowering it to red HP to make it possible to catch. Before it kills me.
-Surge's Raichu:
Double Team makes it invincible. It will use double team on dugtrio's Dig turn so your only option is mud slap which will deal less than half. I used Sweet Scent with Gloom until it died, this let me use Dig without worrying its evasion would go over +0.
-Koga's Muk:
Survives everything you have, and WILL use Minimize to become untouchable unless you have Swift/Shockwave. After having my patience tested, i taught Taunt to my Primeape.
-Lance's Aerodactyl:
Outspeeds everything you have and Ancientpower procs 100% of the time to make it unbeatable. The only way i got past that was because i manipulated AI to use Hyper Beam which gave me a free turn. If that didn't work i would have
dropped out of the league, and gone to replace my Raichu with a Jolteon.
-Honorable mention: Every Alakazam with Psychic. There aren't many, they're basically just Sabrina's and Blue's. I say honorable mention because I didn't have much trouble against them due to having Starmie(best mon in this mod), one of the
probably 2-3 pokemon that can 1v1 them in this mod. Everything else gets outsped and OHKOd.
-Champion battle was a trainwreck that was entirely my fault because i practically had 4 proper mons and 2 fodders. Starmie was failing to OHKO Arcanine and was getting OHKOd by Bite. Blastoise has Bite too. Blue must really hate Psychics. I had to teach Rain Dance to Raichu and Sunny Day to Primeape to beat this. Something i never needed before. It felt like an actual final boss.

Thank you for making this.

Last edited:

Mechakhan

Years
This was an interesting way of fun. I beat it with this team https://imgur.com/aYVRzqd
I played on Set Mode while not using items during battle. I also disabled EV gain because EVs are unfair vs 0 IV 0 EV opponents with bad sets. I also tried to not overlevel.
I like how despite the whole game revolving around RNG, theres actually no RNG in practice. This has been the most consistent battling i've done in a FRLG environment.
-----------
For the most part it was a decent challenge but there were a couple notable terrifying opposing pokemon:
-Misty's Starmie:
Has vastly superior stats than anything you can have, and will always outspeed and oneshot you with water pulse. And even if you survive you are confused, so basically dead. Apparently you can manipulate the AI into using swift on a grass mon so that you can whittle it down that way. Although most of my damage on it came from the level 29 dugtrio i caught in diglett's cave (yes i had to skip her to go get that).
-Catching a wild Dugtrio in Diglett's Cave(renamed to Hell):
Its not only about the decreased catch rate. If you dont overgrind, you'll be at around level 21-22 by the time you reach there. It WILL outspeed you, ohko you with nearly every move, you won't be able to swap mons around. To catch this i needed to sweet scent with gloom, die, revive and sweet scent again, die, then use stun spore with Paras (resists ground x4) before lowering it to red HP to make it possible to catch. Before it kills me.
-Surge's Raichu:
Double Team makes it invincible. It will use double team on dugtrio's Dig turn so your only option is mud slap which will deal less than half. I used Sweet Scent with Gloom until it died, this let me use Dig without worrying its evasion would go over +0.
-Koga's Muk:
Survives everything you have, and WILL use Minimize to become untouchable unless you have Swift/Shockwave. After having my patience tested, i taught Taunt to my Primeape.
-Lance's Aerodactyl:
Outspeeds everything you have and Ancientpower procs 100% of the time to make it unbeatable. The only way i got past that was because i manipulated AI to use Hyper Beam which gave me a free turn. If that didn't work i would have
dropped out of the league, and gone to replace my Raichu with a Jolteon.
-Honorable mention: Every Alakazam with Psychic. There aren't many, they're basically just Sabrina's and Blue's. I say honorable mention because I didn't have much trouble against them due to having Starmie(best mon in this mod), one of the
probably 2-3 pokemon that can 1v1 them in this mod. Everything else gets outsped and OHKOd.
-Champion battle was a trainwreck that was entirely my fault because i practically had 4 proper mons and 2 fodders. Starmie was failing to OHKO Arcanine and was getting OHKOd by Bite. Blastoise has Bite too. Blue must really hate Psychics. I had to teach Rain Dance to Raichu and Sunny Day to Primeape to beat this. Something i never needed before. It felt like an actual final boss.

Thank you for making this.

Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad you enjoyed the hack! Totally agree that Misty's Starmie is borderline impossible to beat and I also had to skip her. I used a Sandslash with Swift which dealt with Surge, and a Snorlax with Shadow Ball and Counter which dealt with Alakazams and physical attackers respectively (after taking a massive hit first ofc). And Rain Dance + Thunder is another must-have. For me Loreli was especially brutal with Ice Beam freezes. I had to use both an Explosion Cloyster and a Thunderbolt Lapras with freeze immunities and Shell Armor to win.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 1, 2023
Please help it is saying user interaction required, what do I do ????????

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 21, 2022
Is it me or stats boost on your pokémon doesn't do more damage on opponent? I mean, i gave an X-Attack to go +1 but didn't change the damage roll.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 16, 2023
sorry i'm not able to patch anything 😣 is there a way to download the already patched rom?? thanks

ChungusLord

Banned
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 29, 2022
Suggestion: You should make pokemon have a 100% chance of being encountered as a shiny whenever you encounter them whilst having no pokeballs (and maybe give them IVs of 31 as well...)

SkyKid

certified idiot
Years
Suggestion: You should make pokemon have a 100% chance of being encountered as a shiny whenever you encounter them whilst having no pokeballs (and maybe give them IVs of 31 as well...)

You are the embodiment of evil.

Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Feb 9, 2023
I think you should implement modern game mechanics and make the game a little bit nuzlokable

Years
I think you should implement modern game mechanics and make the game a little bit nuzlokable
i despise this post with a burning passion. with every fiber of my being

Last edited:
Back