• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Cynthia or Lance?

Lance or Cynthia?

• Lance!

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Cynthia!

Votes: 69 63.3%
  • I like both equally!

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • I dislike them both!

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
xb13L.png
VS
7vteL.gif

Out of these two exceptional region champions; (Lance of Kanto and Johto, and Cynthia of the Sinnoh region), which did you like better? Why? Do you prefer Cynthia, and her mustery and grace? Or Lance, for his powerful pokemon and strong battle attitude? Appearance-wise, who takes the cherry? But competitively, who did you find the hardest? Easiest? Most fun? Most Boring? Why?

Out of the two, my choice lies with Cynthia, the fact that she was the first female champion of the Pokemon Franchise in the main series of games really intriuged me. I love her quiet and wise attitude and I also love her serious side. Her battle style is amazingly elegant, both in the games and in the anime, and she proved to be an exceptional challenge for me when playing through Diamond. Lance, although just as great didn't have that spark, or unique quality about him that really made him intriguing to me. I find him to be simply a uber-noob; with extremely high level uber Pokemon. (Although I know he's a champion, and his title somewhat permits this, I still find it weird.) Appearance-wise, Cynthia takes the cherry. Her clothes and fashion style are mystic and dark, perfect to make a bold yet beautifiul statement on all challengers that face her. Lance, with the typical cape, again, didn't really appeal to me as much.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Cynthia, hands down. She's beautiful, has amazing hair, and her eyes show steely determination! Her team is amazing (other than the silly Spiritomb), she trains incredibly cool and unique Pokémon, and she's actually a challenge to face. Lance is cool don't get me wrong, but I'm really not a fan of Dragon type Pokémon in general so he's at a disadvantage for me from the start D: I think Cynthia's team is just generally a lot more fun to come up against and it's exciting facing her, and although Lance does feel like a more epic champion based on his champion room, appearance and Pokémon, I can't help but feel that Cynthia could best him any time at all in a battle.

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
I've always personally loved female in everything, Cynthia would easily win my vote here. But that's besides the point

Genders aside, I would set them both equally. One being, Lance is the badass type of persona with Dragons. What is so much cooler than that, as a kid's idol?? Cynthia is like the Princess of Champions. Multi-type party, which is actually challenging. Not to mention when you go to face her in the Sinnoh region, she was the toughest challenge out of all the champions I've faced. Not only that, but the most entertaining! She was so fun. Need more like her. Lance was just utterly awesome, its just hard to dislike the guy. He is the perfect face of what a Champion should be, as a Dragon king. Really neither are boring, they were both far from it. The only boring one I'd have to say are the 2 Champions of Hoenn & Unova to be honest. They all never really appeal to me so the two Champions in this thread was a win/win situation for me ^_^

All in all, both are great champions. If I had to choose which to be my partner permanently for life, it'd be Cynthia simply because she's a female champion! (:

Years
I prefer Cynthia. I like her character more in game, and her design is better. Competitively, I found her to be a real challenge, where the only challenging thing about Lance is that he chose to use an uber type with 3 pseudo-legendaries. omg so much skill Where as Cythia has a well balanced team, and I like that her team LOOKS as if she traveled the region (getting her budew and shellos etc) instead of fishing in the dragon's den for overpowered pokemon. Sorry Lance, but Cynthia's gotcha beat. :P

Pokemon Trainer UV

Attractively foolish
Years
In my opinion, Lance was a pretty boring champion.
His personality was just the same as everyone, "Be a good trainer! Show love to your Pokemon! Oh look, you have potential!"
His Pokemon didn't feel very unique either, and the battle itself was quite easy.
Cynthia, though, her wise and serious personality and her appreciation of things just made her seem a more like-able character, her team also is much cooler, I can imagine her going through the region with her Gible, and catching/recieving the rest of the Pokemon while traveling the Sinnoh Region.
Although I have a preference for capes, Cynthia has much better clothing. I think she really deserves re-appearing in the Gen 5 games, she was a great character.

Years
Out of the two, I prefer Cynthia much more. She was a much more difficult Champion to face with her balanced team, and all of her Pokemon are at a higher level than Lance's in their first battles against them. Also, while Lance is supposed to be a Dragon-type trainer, he really should be Flying-type (which isn't all that exciting), since only 3 of his 6 Pokemon in your first encounter with him are Dragon, all of those being Dragonite, whereas all 6 are part-Flying.

Also, I think that Cynthia plays a larger role throughout her respective games than Lance did, and it's always nice to see the Champion outside of battle.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 26, 2021
I would have to give my vote to Cynthia on this one over Lance.Cynthia was more of a challenge for me due to her balanced team.Lance seemed to easy to beat due to the fact that you only need atleast two types to win Electric and Ice.

Sirfetch’d

Cynthia. She was the most challenging Champion ever. I also love her in game battle music. She is also recurring which I like, and hope she keeps making appearances. Lance IMO is lame, all you need is a Ice type and a Water or Electric for Charizard then you have him beat. Also I can't stand battling trainers who use 3 of the same pokes on their team.

Years
I like 'em both. I like Lance because Dragonite is one of my favorite psuedo-legendaries. And Cynthia because she actually presents a challenge to me in Platinum.

Years
I go with Cynthia cos she has cooler Pokemon, better strategies, awesome design and personality, plus she's our first female champion!

She's also more of a challenge than Lance.

Years
I like them both but I think I actually preferred Lance - he's probably my favourite Champion overall, I think he has the aura of a Champion more than any of the others. I especially liked how he helped you in the game. Even though I do like Cynthia being a tough woman (and blonde like me) :D

Years
I prefer to Cynthia.she's has great pokemons!
She's a super champion!!
Cynthia is cute,beautiful,blonde and strong.want more? O3O

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Cynthia, she's my favourite champion of all time xD, sorry Gary :P. I like how diverse she is and uses different types instead of a particular one. She is beautiful and has awesome,powerhouse Pokemon xD.

Lance, we all know is a hacker with his underleveled Dragonite >:|. Seriously 3 DRAGONITES?! That isn't really a unique team...

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
Cynthia. She was more challenging then lance was. I mean all you needed to beat Lance was a ice type and water type move. Cynthia's Pokèmon were stronger too and they were more of a challenge.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
i like lance cuz dragon pokemon are one of my 5 favorite types and he was a dragon master but cynthia was definitely was harder to beat and does have a better stratedgy setup than lance (uses multiple types instead of 1 type.)

Empathy

Rawr.
Years
Cynthia! I just love the Sinnoh E4 and Champion. Maybe I am being a bit biased but...
Cynthia's pokemon. Just those 2 words. Her Pokemon are challenging and fun to battle against, especially that Milotic and it's god damn Aqua Ring, and her Garchomp and it's Earthquake. u_u
Though I do love going back and battling Cynthia, just for the reason that her Pokemon are challenging, and I think it's a good mix that really requires the player to switch a lot since most of her Pokes know different moves than their type.
I also love her room, and her battle music! I love battling her over and over just to hear that start of the music The room has an eerie feel to it and the music is just awesome.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
Cynthia. She's first female champion. I love her gothic design. She's the type of woman I can never be, but help admire anyway. I like how she didn't go out of her way to become a champion, she just happened to be strong. I like how's she portrayed as being so intelligent yet somewhat of ditz and is kinda lazy(she could gave her grandmother the Old Charm herself, has a messy room, and could have helped me out against Cyrus), which show's still a person and didn't let herself get defined by her title. I love how she's portrayed as being an unofficial researcher/archeologist because that's how I play in the game; I focus more my dex and I get side tracked by so many things not related to battling(for example, when I was in Lenora's gym, I got sidetracked by her exhibit and forgot I was there for a gym battle) so I can relate to that. I like how's she one of the few champions not specialize in a certain type (though she does have a rare/mythical them to her team) which makes her a challenge and I love how, except for Garchomp, uses all my favorite pokemon in team(I cherish the Togepi egg she gave me and I've raised it into a powerful Togekiss).

Don't get wrong, I like Lance and he can be pretty cool, but I just feel that all the champions who came after him are more interesting.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I like both Lance and Cynthia equally, but I do like Cynthia a bit more because not only is she pretty, she has strong Pokemon of diverse types.

Years
CYNTHIA.
IloveherIloveherIloveherrr
I think she even resembles some of me; a bit mysterious, loves myths and legends, strong pokemon, is epically epicepicepic
I like her because of her grace, her calm additude, her overpowering pokemon that pinpoints weaknesses and destroys all challengers(xD), awesome, pretty, everything.
If I met her, I would DIE from spontanious bursting into happy confettiiiiiii
and she's not one of those snooty champions that are all like, "I'mma win and you lose. Hahaha! I'm soooo intimidating."
And I LOVE the battle music. Creepy, yet epic.

Back