• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Design Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 29, 2016
Dream Clan - fairy
Muscle clan - fighting
Metal clan - steel
Forest clan - grass
Mountain clan - rock
Desert clan - ground
Hive clan - bug
Tundra clan - ice

Thanks for the quick reply ^^
I will definitely use some of these!
(Not too sure about Tundra Clan and Desert Clan but I really like the others)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 29, 2016
Fair enough; I was trying to pick names which were associated with the relevant type but didn't QUITE meaning the same thing.

That was exactly what I was looking for, and you did a really good job with it ^^
Just these two don't sound fitting for me (btw english is not my first language), it probably just comes down to personal preference.

I like the ice clan

I'll think about these some more and we'll see.
Again, thanks for the suggestions :)

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
Working on some additions to the Thule Regional Dex, but having trouble with a few entries. First, naming some Fakemon --

• My Water starter (eventually Water/Dark) is based on a horse, and inspired by Swedish folklore about river spirits that assume horse-form to trick humans into riding them. I decided to call the unevolved form Ponixy (pony + nixie); do any of you have good names for the next two stages?
  • A timber-wolf Fakemon, pure Normal-type (but able to learn some Dark and Sound-type moves -- yes, this game is adding a Sound type). I've named the unevolved form Yippup (yip + pup) and the final form Howlpha (howl + alpha, as in pack leader). What should I call the middle stage, though? It should probably play on the "wolf sounds/rank in the pack" idea, but I'm stuck here.
Second, assigning a type to one Fakemon. A joking discussion about "sweepers" inspired me to create Bristaff (bristle + staff + distaff, since this is a mostly female species) -- the Witches' Broom Fakemon. I'm not sure which type(s) are the best fit, though: As a broom it should be able to get rid of dust (Ground) and trash (Poison), but it's also very flammable; that combination suggests a Steel type. But should Bristaff's secondary type be Fairy for the magic (in which case I'd give it Levitate)...or Flying for the ability to move through the air (in which case I'd give it Magic Guard)? Which combination do you think would make Bristaff a useful and believable Fakemon without breaking the game?

Light and Darkness Dragon

Want a Sprite Cranberry? 🎄
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 23, 2021
Working on some additions to the Thule Regional Dex, but having trouble with a few entries. First, naming some Fakemon --
My Water starter (eventually Water/Dark) is based on a horse, and inspired by Swedish folklore about river spirits that assume horse-form to trick humans into riding them. I decided to call the unevolved form Ponixy (pony + nixie); do any of you have good names for the next two stages?
Pollusion (Polo + Illusion)
Tekemare (Akhal-Teke + snare (trap) + mare)
Plotcon (Horse Butt + Con, also plot means to deceive)

A timber-wolf Fakemon, pure Normal-type (but able to learn some Dark and Sound-type moves -- yes, this game is adding a Sound type). I've named the unevolved form Yippup (yip + pup) and the final form Howlpha (howl + alpha, as in pack leader). What should I call the middle stage, though? It should probably play on the "wolf sounds/rank in the pack" idea, but I'm stuck here.
Snarleta (Snarl + Beta)

Second, assigning a type to one Fakemon. A joking discussion about "sweepers" inspired me to create Bristaff (bristle + staff + distaff, since this is a mostly female species) -- the Witches' Broom Fakemon. I'm not sure which type(s) are the best fit, though: As a broom it should be able to get rid of dust (Ground) and trash (Poison), but it's also very flammable; that combination suggests a Steel type. But should Bristaff's secondary type be Fairy for the magic (in which case I'd give it Levitate)...or Flying for the ability to move through the air (in which case I'd give it Magic Guard)? Which combination do you think would make Bristaff a useful and believable Fakemon without breaking the game?[/QUOTE]
If it supposed to kill Poison it should be Psychic or Ground. Weakness to Fire suggest Steel or Grass (its wood, and bristols, unless plastic than steel or normal.)
Abilities

Pixilate With non-Fairy
Magic Bounce
Levitate With non-Flying

Spread: I suggest 463 and you can add or subtract. It can't live a hit, but it can clean.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
Would Flying/Fairy with Immunity be a game-breaking combo for a non-evolving Fakemon with that stat spread? (Three immunities versus four weaknesses, hmmm...)
Sending a Bristaff with a Focus Band against wild Gabite would be a risky tactical exercise!

As far as the mid-stage wolf Fakemon...What do you think of Growlanx (growl + phalanx, as in rank-and-file troops) for a name? I know it sounds similar to Growlithe, but that makes sense given the wolf/dog connection in real life. On a related note -- is there an ability that boosts Attack and/or Defense if there's another member of the same evolutionary line on the team? Like Plus/Minus but more generalized? I was thinking of wolf-pack tactics here.

Light and Darkness Dragon

Want a Sprite Cranberry? 🎄
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 23, 2021
Would Flying/Fairy with Immunity be a game-breaking combo for a non-evolving Fakemon with that stat spread? (Three immunities versus four weaknesses, hmmm...)
Sending a Bristaff with a Focus Band against wild Gabite would be a risky tactical exercise!

As far as the mid-stage wolf Fakemon...What do you think of Growlanx (growl + phalanx, as in rank-and-file troops) for a name? I know it sounds similar to Growlithe, but that makes sense given the wolf/dog connection in real life. On a related note -- is there an ability that boosts Attack and/or Defense if there's another member of the same evolutionary line on the team? Like Plus/Minus but more generalized? I was thinking of wolf-pack tactics here.

I would say boost the ability Immunity t0 prevent poison moves as well if you can code that (like Levitate).
Gabite would likely loose unless it has Rock Slide. Focus Band isn't the best item.

Growlanx is a good name.
Cherims ability but it's related to sun. You could modify Pluses ability to have
Check Ally Ability. If ally has Wolf Pack ability = Increase 1.5x ATK and DEF. If no ally do not apply ability.

I've worked on this, redoing the type chart, including sound type as Aria
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I want to make dynamic icons for the tabs in the Summary screen. Here's what I've got so far.

untitled_by_rot8erconex-d9u0an2.png

The icon for the stats page is actually the Pokemon's stats, ignoring the alterations made by their nature.
Spoiler:

The icon for the type effectiveness page is the Pokemon's type written as type icons from the TCG. I even account for the fact that the TCG combines types, so Glaceon would display as a Water type.

I need to figure out what I want to do for the icons for the other tabs.

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
What would people think of minor alterations to the looks of Pokémon? Not drastic changes, but maybe a few alterations in terms of proportions and colour? Yay or nay?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
What would people think of minor alterations to the looks of Pokémon? Not drastic changes, but maybe a few alterations in terms of proportions and colour? Yay or nay?
That would obviously depend entirely on what changes you wanted to make.

Inky

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
That would obviously depend entirely on what changes you wanted to make.

Something like this is a good example; threw this together very quickly as a proof of concept.

starlu_zpsijjm86wk.png

Small aesthetic / proportional changes.

Last edited:

MandL27

Proud Procrastinator
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 24, 2021
Is this too steep a level curve, assuming that at some point prior to each Gym you're able to obtain at least three unique evolutionary lines of Pokemon that get STAB SE against them (and that the wilds level accordingly)?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Doing audio in Unity 5.3.x: for sound effects, should the call to play sound effects be done on the scripts of the relevant objects (by passing in the relevant audio clip, and then passing it to an audio management system I'm using (which will then reroute them to the relevant scripts)? Or is there a better way?

Inky

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Is this too steep a level curve, assuming that at some point prior to each Gym you're able to obtain at least three unique evolutionary lines of Pokemon that get STAB SE against them (and that the wilds level accordingly)?

It entirely depends on whether realistically you can train your Pokemon to be able to match those levels, without endless grinding. If so, then it shouldn't be a problem. If not, maybe lower them.

Looking at them though, it does seem a fairly steep level curve, when compared to the main series games.

MandL27

Proud Procrastinator
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 24, 2021
It entirely depends on whether realistically you can train your Pokemon to be able to match those levels, without endless grinding. If so, then it shouldn't be a problem. If not, maybe lower them.

Looking at them though, it does seem a fairly steep level curve, when compared to the main series games.

If by "without endless grinding" you mean that going through the level at an average pace would keep up with the level curve, then no. If you instead mean that you'd want to grind about a level or two per area (which isn't "endless" to me as long as the wilds keep up level-wise), then yeah, players could realistically stay on the level curve.

Inky

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Well then that should be fine, yeah. Best way of knowing is always actual testing, though.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
I've added an unevolved Fakemon to my regional Dex; it has a three-branched evolutionary line, but I'm not sure what to call the resulting forms. Here are my descriptions --

• Drossling (unevolved stage; from dross [impure metal] + -ling) -- the Slag Fakemon. These dwarf-like creatures inhabit mines and caverns; they search for refined metals and elemental stones to purify their bodies. Steel/Ground dual-type with either Rock Head or Solid Rock as an ability; move pool is similar to Diglett's but with a few minor Steel-type attacks and defenses. I plan to give Drossling a three-branched evolution based on which of three items the player gives it:

1. [Unnamed branch A], the Refined Fakemon: a pure Steel type with either Lightning Rod or Motor Drive. Evolves from Drossling if the Metal Coat is held; a glorified wall with better Defenses and Speed, but a narrower move pool. Hard hitter physically (as second-stage, non-Fighting types go).
  2. [Unnamed branch B], the Forge Fakemon: a Steel/Fire dual-type with either Flash Fire or White Smoke. Evolves from Drossling if the Fire Stone is held; best at heavy-hitting Special attacks, less skilled with Physical ones.
  3. [Unnamed branch C], the Tempering Fakemon: a Steel/Water type with either Storm Drain or White Smoke. Evolves from Drossling if the Water Stone is held; balanced between offense and defense, Physical and special.
As usual. I'm open to any serious, constructive ideas for naming these three evolutions; please leave your suggestions in the comments below.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back