• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen The Master Ball

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
In these games, you get the Master Ball after saving Silph Co. The president of Silph. Co will give it to you, and tell you "it's a prototype".

Did you use the Master Ball in Gen 1? If so, on what?

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
First time I played Blue I remember I used the Master Ball on Snorlax. My file got deleted and I don't know how it got deleted. Second time I played, I don't remember on who I used the Master Ball on and it might have been on one of the Legendary Birds or on Mewtwo.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I believe I used the Master Ball on Mewtwo diring my most recent playthrough of Pokémon Red, which was several years ago so I'm not sure if this is 100% accurate. I would guess that the Master Ball was mostly intended for Mewtwo in the first place given how hard it is to catch without using a Master Ball. Perhaps that's why Team Rocket invaded Silph Co in the first place, so that they could use the Master Ball to catch Mewtwo.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I may be thinking wrong, but I'm pretty sure last time I used the Master Ball on Zapdos. My party wasn't that strong for the point when it becomes available.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
Virtual Console...I just threw it at Mewtwo. Not like there are any roaming legends or shinies to save it for.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Man, as a kid when I was playing through Blue version, the first thing I did was use the Master ball on Moltres in victory road. It was also the first legendary bird I ever caught!

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I used on Articuno because I was having a hard time trying to capture it, and I really wanted to capture it...
Fortunately, I learned the "secret technique" of keep pressing Up + B, so I could capture the other legendaries without problem.

Years
I only played Gen 1 when it came out on Virtual Console and by that point I knew the "value" of a Masterball so in Yellow I used it on Mewtwo and in Red I used it on Articuno because I wanted it on my team and I knew I wouldn't go after Mewtwo later because I already got one from Yellow.

Years
basically i used it as soon as i saw a legendary, so i caught Articuno with it lol. Tbh, if i have to be mature, i d probably say that i wouldn't use it anymore now, because despite how frustrating it might be, it's anyway nice the difficulty level of catching a legendary pokémon. i mean, catching a legendary in a normal mode makes u feel like that is actually a legendary pokémon. Master ball kinda kills that feel, but on the other end it also kills the frustration of catching a legendary pokemon. In the last games i feel like it got waaaaay easier. i do remember the most difficult catch was Kyogre in Pokemon Emerald. TRULY HARD. I had like 70 ultra balls and they wouldn't enter. i attempted the catch like 20 times lol. but the satisfaction was amazing when i finally caught it. Yeah, maybe it was a mistake to have deleted the save to replay Emerald, now that i think bout it lol.

Years
Absolutely Mewtwo. It hits very hard and iirc knows Recover too, which made it a huge pain to catch. Getting legendaries back then used to be so tedious!!

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
Years
Mew: the only time we played gen1 non-emulated was on virtual console and we did arbitrary code execution to see how badly we could mess with the game, so there were multiple master balls in our inventory, and even outside of that we always do the missingno glitch to duplicate them, so yeah we use it multiple times XD

for other games though we never really use the master ball unless it's for a shiny, which isn't a thing in gen1 so I don't think we'd use it in a legitimate playthrough

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Pretty sure I used the MissingNo. trick to get "infinite" Master Balls in Red and just chucked them at everything.

In Yellow, I probably used it on Mewtwo. Can't remember for sure.

Major Agnostic

Pokemon Crystal Ultimate Developer
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
I think I used it on Moltres in Victory Road. I still find it odd to find that legendary there, so random lol. And they kept it like that for future games too (Moltres in Mt Silver in HGSS, for example

Back