The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games Game Development Pokémon Essentials
Your suggestions for Essentials

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Old February 11th, 2017 (7:46 AM).
Not Bored

Something I'd love to see happen is an easy way to see what all PBEffects are set to mid-battle. There is probably already some kind of way to do this, but I'd love to see it in Essentials itself as a method like "pbPrintEffects", maybe with a parameter for what effect you want to print if you don't want everything to be displayed. This could be in the normal text bar in battle or wherever else.

This would be useful for testing out abilities and moves, since thing tend not to work whenever I create new stuff and I'm then confused as to what exactly is not working and in such a case, a quick overview would be nice. Running this in a script would be fine, but a shortcut in battle && DEBUG would be nice.
Old July 20th, 2017 (2:09 AM). Edited July 24th, 2017 by yonicstudios.
Game Developer

Nature: Timid
    Extracting and compiling text for translation purposes could have some improvements.
    1. Have a line of separation between a localized line and the next unlocalized line. It'll make easier to see which line to translate, even if the file size triples.
    2. Add pronouns for gender. Languages like Spanish and French have different pronouns depending on the gender of a noun, and in some cases the number matters too. Maybe a system like the one used for handling plural names of items could work perfectly for this.
    3. On lines of text coming from a script, PBS file, or an event, add a comment to a side indicating where exactly is that line of text.
      1. Comments on strings of text in scripts should point out the script section and line where it's defined.
      2. Comments on strings of PBS files should point out the name of the PBS file and the line where it's defined.
      3. Comments on lines from an event should point out the map ID or common event ID.
    4. Use more variables in battle texts, like Pokémon's stats.
    EDIT: A couple more suggestions.
    1. The Editor should detect whether if intl.txt already exists. If someone selects 'Extract text' by accident, they'd lose all their work if they hadn't made backups.
    2. An alternative would be to recover the file by extracting the files on the intl.dat file. I made a script for this:
    Code:
    def recoverTexts(intlfile,outfile)
    #    return if [email protected]
        text=Messages.new(intlfile)
        File.open(outfile,"wb"){|f|
           if text.messages[0]
             for i in 0...text.messages[0].length
               msgs=text.messages[0][i]
               Messages.writeObject(f,msgs,"Map#{i}",text)
             end
           end
           for i in 1...text.messages.length
             msgs=text.messages[i]
             Messages.writeObject(f,msgs,i,text)
           end
        }
    end
    intlfile could easily be chosen in a way similar to the language selection screen, and if the default value is chosen, it'd do the same as extracting texts from messages.dat.

Not Pokémon related:
    - My Dog's Tale (July 11th 2018)

Old August 27th, 2017 (9:40 AM). Edited October 24th, 2017 by Marin.
    Not Bored

Before making any more suggestions, make sure that they are not in the new, updated version of Essentials (v17.2) yet! An extensive changelog can be found on the downloads page of the official wikia for Pokemon Essentials: https://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Downloads
    Old September 2nd, 2017 (3:35 PM).

I think it's a little odd that v17 allows us to track roaming pokemon using the debug menu option but it doesn't track the roamer in the pokedex once it is encountered, much like how the official games handle it.

I mean, yeah, it's great that we as developers can track where a roamer is in debug mode, but what about the people playing our games? :/
      Old October 21st, 2017 (3:03 PM). Edited October 21st, 2017 by Ulithium_Dragon.

Nature: Timid
        I'd like to see more options in the scripts instead of always having only one way to structure things. It seems increasingly true that with each version of Essentials the game template becomes more and more like a later-gen game (i.e. Gen IV or V), and less like a Gen III game.

I don't want to update to v17 personally because it would mean just mountains of work modifying scripts and assets that were "changed" in order to keep my game feeling like it's based off of FrLg.

Some examples from v17 include:
        Spoiler:

- The Item Registration menu.
        - Removing the down/up arrows in the UI's.
        - Battle transition choice changes, including using the transitions from HGSS.
        - The sticky cursor in the battle command menu.
        - Filtering the battle items menu instead of using the same one as out of battle.
        - Removing the second save prompt.
        - Changing the UIs so that scrolling stays in the middle when not at the top or bottom.

And since this IS a framework, it would be nice if you could stop moving assets around so much just for the sake of organization, as it makes updating versions a royal pain for people with larger games (i.e. the minor things like renaming and moving sound files to different dirs).

[PokéMounts] [Warp Tile Animation Tutorial] [Fall Down Hole Animation Tutorial] [PokéCenter Monitor Icons] [Dependent Events Use Running Sprites]
        Old October 24th, 2017 (10:06 AM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Ulithium_Dragon View Post
          I'd like to see more options in the scripts instead of always having only one way to structure things. It seems increasingly true that with each version of Essentials the game template becomes more and more like a later-gen game (i.e. Gen IV or V), and less like a Gen III game.

I don't want to update to v17 personally because it would mean just mountains of work modifying scripts and assets that were "changed" in order to keep my game feeling like it's based off of FrLg.

Some examples from v17 include:
          Spoiler:

- The Item Registration menu.
          - Removing the down/up arrows in the UI's.
          - Battle transition choice changes, including using the transitions from HGSS.
          - The sticky cursor in the battle command menu.
          - Filtering the battle items menu instead of using the same one as out of battle.
          - Removing the second save prompt.
          - Changing the UIs so that scrolling stays in the middle when not at the top or bottom.

And since this IS a framework, it would be nice if you could stop moving assets around so much just for the sake of organization, as it makes updating versions a royal pain for people with larger games (i.e. the minor things like renaming and moving sound files to different dirs).
          ^ This. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about porting custom script changes we've made over to a new version, that workload is obviously on us. But we shouldn't have to port over layouts that existed in older versions of essentials that are now gone or heavily altered. I will also not be upgrading to v17 because (as nice as some of them would be to have) the changes/improvements do not outweigh the amount of additional work I will have to put into my game just to get it back to where I last left off prior to upgrading.
          Old October 25th, 2017 (2:00 PM).
          Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
            It seems increasingly true that with each version of Essentials the game template becomes more and more like a later-gen game (i.e. Gen IV or V), and less like a Gen III game.
            I just see it as improving Essentials. I'm not necessarily trying to emulate a newer Gen of games, although I will adopt newer games' features if they're good. All the features you listed are improvements over how Essentials used to be.

Quote:
            I'd like to see more options in the scripts instead of always having only one way to structure things.
            Options are nice, but I'm not going to go so far as to create and maintain multiple completely different and conflicting systems (e.g. party screen layouts). Essentials is just a starting point; it won't try to look like EVERYTHING.

If you have suggestions for any particular options you'd want, say so. This sentence of yours is vague to the point of unhelpful, and the rest of your post is just complaining about progress.

Quote:
            Technically, Essentials is whatever I feel like, and I felt like improving the organisation of the files this time round. I did this ONCE, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't accuse me of doing it constantly. Besides, better organisation of assets is just a good idea, and the new filenames (particularly for audio) are much better now. There's even a wiki page which lists all the audio and what it's for.

Quote:
            That's... not a suggestion. You don't have to update, of course, but you will be missing out on improvements and support.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by silentgamer64 View Post
            ^ This. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about porting custom script changes we've made over to a new version, that workload is obviously on us. But we shouldn't have to port over layouts that existed in older versions of essentials that are now gone or heavily altered. I will also not be upgrading to v17 because (as nice as some of them would be to have) the changes/improvements do not outweigh the amount of additional work I will have to put into my game just to get it back to where I last left off prior to upgrading.
            The same goes for you too.

Essentials Docs Wiki

Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42

Old January 23rd, 2018 (11:56 PM).

Simple addition. It appears there is some support for foreign language mons: Japanese, French, etc. However, there is no icon for it like in the gamefreak games.
              Old May 9th, 2018 (6:59 PM).

update everything to gen 7,except have HM01 cut,HM02 fly,HM03 surf,HM04 strength,HM05 waterfall,HM06 rock smash,and HM07 dive,each learned by all suitable pokemon from generations 1-7. oh,and because fly is an HM,have TM76 as struggle bug. for related reasons,have TM94 as secret power and TM98 as power-up punch,each learned by suitable pokemon.
                Old July 18th, 2018 (7:30 AM). Edited July 26th, 2018 by thebigguy270.

Allow idle animations for Pokémon by default.
                  Maybe allow FMVs? Or allow trainers to use different Pokeballs for their Pokemon?
                  Old September 7th, 2018 (2:58 PM).
                  Philosophical Pagan Lady Fair Gamer Lesbian

Nature: Sassy
                    There are way too many pages to search through, so feel free to ignore this if it's been suggested, but...

Gen. 3 Secret Bases are awesome; I'd love to incorporate this in my own fangame.

#AnarchistAmerica2020
                    Old September 8th, 2018 (1:59 PM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Amyrakunejo View Post
                      There are way too many pages to search through, so feel free to ignore this if it's been suggested, but...

Gen. 3 Secret Bases are awesome; I'd love to incorporate this in my own fangame.
                      There's already a script for this here
                      May need some changes as this was not made for v17.2
                      Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:35 AM).

I want to see a two-page pokedex entry, like if the entry is too large, you can continue reading it touching A or Z, and return in the same way

Quick Reply