The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games Game Development Pokémon Essentials
Scripting Question Upgrading Moves

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Old September 21st, 2018 (6:00 PM).
A Giant Mess

So I had an idea for a Pokemon Fan Game I've been working on for a while and it includes upgrading moves. Basically, it'd increase base damage like how PP Ups boost PP for the move. If anybody could help with this, I'd really appreciate it!
    Old September 21st, 2018 (8:17 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Byliyth View Post
      So I had an idea for a Pokemon Fan Game I've been working on for a while and it includes upgrading moves. Basically, it'd increase base damage like how PP Ups boost PP for the move. If anybody could help with this, I'd really appreciate it!
      im not the best scripter, but an idea that may work, which is also pretty simple, is to just make new TMs that teach the same move, but higher base power. As well as giving the item itself a different name and sprite icon. So itll look like your item, itll be named your item, but itll act the same as a TM, where it teaches a new move. Itll just be a kind of way to trick the system. Itll look like an upgraded move, but itll just be teaching it a new move with more power, but the same name. Should work out just fine.
      Old September 21st, 2018 (11:20 PM).

I think NewAgeSteel's suggestion is a good one.

If you're semi-comfortable with Ruby the other option is to add a new attribute in PokeBattle_Move for how much power to boost by, and then add that extra power in pbBaseDamage (or maybe in another method, I'm not sure exactly how the damage is worked out). Then add an item like PP Up that increases the value of the new attribute you added.

Quick Reply