The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games Game Development Pokémon Essentials
Other Question Sprite Sheet Help

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Old October 10th, 2018 (6:35 PM). Edited October 10th, 2018 by TheGary2346.

Hey, sorry if this is a commonly asked question. I'm using EBS, which uses png sprite sheets so that the Pokemon are animated in battle, but I noticed one of the Pokemon sprites had a few pixels missing that looked distracting so I wanted to fix it myself. I tried putting in my own png sprite sheet but instead of smoothly animating, it does this weird scrolling effect:

What do I need to do so the sprite animates smoothly? Am I using too many frames or something?
    Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:45 AM).

Nature: Jolly
      Try with that front sprite.
      Attached Images
      File Type: png 563.png‎ (182.7 KB, 5 views) (Save to Dropbox)
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:26 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by flabz.

Hello everyone,

First, I apologize in advance for my bad English.

I am looking for several hours the elite battle system, but without success
        someone would have a link please
        Old 4 Weeks Ago (8:28 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by WolfPP.

Nature: Jolly
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by flabz View Post
          Hello everyone,

https://www.mediafire.com/file/x3jr7a7ha5l52zn/Luka%27s_UPI_resources.rar/file

Credit to Luka and Marin.

EDIT PS: Pay attention with your post. Wrong place to ask. Create a thread for that :D
          Old 4 Weeks Ago (8:36 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by Poq.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by TheGary2346 View Post
            What do I need to do so the sprite animates smoothly? Am I using too many frames or something?
            It's not the number of frames, it's the dimensions. In EBS, each panel or slide is a square, so the height of your png is the width of each panel. Basically, your sprites are too close together.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by flabz View Post
            Hello everyone,

EBS is no longer supported by the developer, but you can still download it through this site, along with Luka SJ's other resources:

http://luka-sj.com/downloads/installer.html?=1

EDIT WolfPP beat me to the punch
            Old 4 Weeks Ago (8:49 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by TheGary2346.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Poq View Post
              It's not the number of frames, it's the dimensions. In EBS, each panel or slide is a square, so the height of your png is the width of each panel. Basically, your sprites are too close together.

EBS is no longer supported by the developer, but you can still download it through this site, along with Luka SJ's other resources:

http://luka-sj.com/downloads/installer.html?=1

EDIT WolfPP beat me to the punch
              Ah okay, makes sense. Thank you! Is there an efficient to fix that or do I have to manually change each frame in like Photoshop?

Quote:
              Originally Posted by WolfPP View Post
              Try with that front sprite.
              I appreciate the help but that was actually the sprite I was trying to replace, due to the top part of the coffin disappearing entirely for a few seconds.
              Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:07 AM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by TheGary2346 View Post
                Ah okay, makes sense. Thank you! Is there an efficient to fix that or do I have to manually change each frame in like Photoshop?
                Well, the most efficient would be to either crop or extend the sprite sheet as needed. Since your sprites are already evenly spaced, you don't want to mess with them if you don't have to. Extending it would be easy, but I'm guessing, based on your comments, that you already extended the height so that you could add the missing pixels? So you wouldn't want to lose those pixels all over again. You could probably just adjust the highest and/or lowest sprites by a pixel or two and be alright to drop back to the original height of the image.
                Now if you truly need every pixel of height that you have, it will get tricky. Then you would have to extend the sprite sheet's width and adjust every sprite's horizontal position. That's where you'd probably want photoshop or some similar program to have a nice grid overlay so that you can clearly see where each panel should be, and then adjust all your sprites accordingly.
                Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:56 PM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by TheGary2346.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Poq View Post
                  Well, the most efficient would be to either crop or extend the sprite sheet as needed. Since your sprites are already evenly spaced, you don't want to mess with them if you don't have to. Extending it would be easy, but I'm guessing, based on your comments, that you already extended the height so that you could add the missing pixels? So you wouldn't want to lose those pixels all over again. You could probably just adjust the highest and/or lowest sprites by a pixel or two and be alright to drop back to the original height of the image.
                  Now if you truly need every pixel of height that you have, it will get tricky. Then you would have to extend the sprite sheet's width and adjust every sprite's horizontal position. That's where you'd probably want photoshop or some similar program to have a nice grid overlay so that you can clearly see where each panel should be, and then adjust all your sprites accordingly.
                  Thanks for the help. I've managed to properly create the sprite so the top is no longer cut off, but I've run into another issue. My sprite seems to animate too fast:

I honestly have no idea where to begin to fix that lol. When the sprite was in .gif format before I converted it, the sprite speed was fine. Only when I changed it to .png it seemed to do this. It seems to be running at 60 FPS vs the 40 FPS or w/e Essentials runs at.
                  Old 4 Weeks Ago (10:32 AM).

thank you so much. ok, I wanted to avoid creating a topic for nothing, sorry.

Quick Reply