• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I want to but...

Years
Are there books, TV shows or movies that you have some interest in watching/reading, but something holds you back, and you can't bring yourself to take the plunge yet. Maybe the length is intimidating, i.e thousands of pages, or hundreds of episodes. Perhaps an actor was cast who you don't normally like, or you have some issue with the director, producer or writers. It could even be for social or personal reasons, and not their work itself.

The drawback could be that it's a series that's unfinished/on hiatus, and you don't want to become engrossed in something that isn't expected to be concluded anytime soon, and remain on a cliffhanger indefinitely, if not forever. Maybe it's a story that deals with content that you find disturbing, or has a rating such as an R, MA or NC-17 that would prevent you from seeing it.

There's a lot of reasons you might have second thoughts. What media have you held back from watching, even if you are kinda curious about it?

For me one is a French horror drama film called Martyrs. What I was told the antagonists want as their goal seemed interesting and original, and this movie supposedly has one of the most surprising and mysterious endings ever, an ending that can be interpreted in multiple ways. So I would normally want to see something like this. I did watch the opening scene on YouTube, which is an intense, shocking sequence that had good acting, and naturally made me want to see more, but i chose not to continue because I know that much more graphic scenes are coming. I can tolerate violence on film to a point, but as I understand it, this is one of the most controversial and gory films that's been made, with lots of explicit torture being a major part of the story. I was going to check out another scene to see if it's really as extreme as has been claimed, and can't even get beyond the grisly video thumbnails, so I will pass for now, even though it might be a good film, unless I come across a heavily edited version on cable tv that's less bloody.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Not really, when it comes to shows. If I find something that seems interesting, I take the plunge and go all in.

Books however... If I encounter a very long drawn boring bit, I tend to stop and have difficulties getting back into it again (looking at you, King's Cage and Abaddon's Gate).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
House of The Dragon.

I have no doubt its as good as its claimed to be, but I just don't know if I want to step back into the brutal world again (although I do like dragons). I have the entire series downloaded, but never even attempted to press play on episode 1.

There are also a million films and series in my Netflix queue that I just don't want to commit to starting because I feel like I need to do something better with my time…then end up watching the same old series haha

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
House of The Dragon.

I have no doubt its as good as its claimed to be, but I just don't know if I want to step back into the brutal world again (although I do like dragons). I have the entire series downloaded, but never even attempted to press play on episode 1.

There are also a million films and series in my Netflix queue that I just don't want to commit to starting because I feel like I need to do something better with my time…then end up watching the same old series haha
It has a lot of neat dragons, but ngl, I found it more brutal and misogynist than the original Game of Thrones show, to the point of it being really awful at times. So yeah, get ready for really grim shit if you do start to watch it. Still a cool family-honor-politics story I suppose.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
It has a lot of neat dragons, but ngl, I found it more brutal and misogynist than the original Game of Thrones show, to the point of it being really awful at times. So yeah, get ready for really grim shit if you do start to watch it. Still a cool family-honor-politics story I suppose.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. What I really want is for someone to commit to doing Eragon right as a series before the streaming boom is completely over (other than Rachel Weisz voicing a dragon, the movie sucked). I know its apparently incredibly derivative of Lord of the Rings (which I have neither read nor seen), but a more straightforward fantasy with kick-ass dragon fights is what I'm missing from my list of all-time faves / rewatchables: already got sitcom (well, about 5 of them), drama (The Americans, one of the few 80s-set series that isn't just cheap nostalgia), spy comedy (Chuck) and sci-fi (The Expanse). The Witcher had promise but given they've already lost their lead for apparently non-Superman-related reasons I'm not optimistic.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
Since we're in the spirit of the season...

My mom recommended Happiest Season to me several times, but I'm not feeling as enthusiastic about it because I'm not big on Kristen Stewart. Mom said she started liking her after watching this movie and thus got the motivation to watch the new Charlie's Angels movie, but when I watched the latter, I still wasn't convinced. I might watch it in the future, but I'm not particularly in a rush to do so.

I also really, really want to watch Violent Night, a recent Christmas black comedy starring David Harbour (!) and John Leguizamo (!!!). However, I'm not sure about all the gore, because it's apparently even worse than stuff like Game of Thrones. Still, I did watch Punisher: War Zone and Bullet Train which were similarly bloody and sort of comedic in how exaggerated the gore was, so I will be on alert for this one when it's released on streaming services.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Since we're in the spirit of the season...

My mom recommended Happiest Season to me several times, but I'm not feeling as enthusiastic about it because I'm not big on Kristen Stewart. Mom said she started liking her after watching this movie and thus got the motivation to watch the new Charlie's Angels movie, but when I watched the latter, I still wasn't convinced. I might watch it in the future, but I'm not particularly in a rush to do so.

I also really, really want to watch Violent Night, a recent Christmas black comedy starring David Harbour (!) and John Leguizamo (!!!). However, I'm not sure about all the gore, because it's apparently even worse than stuff like Game of Thrones. Still, I did watch Punisher: War Zone and Bullet Train which were similarly bloody and sort of comedic in how exaggerated the gore was, so I will be on alert for this one when it's released on streaming services.

I haven't seen Happiest Season - don't generally go in for Christmas-themed movies (Die Hard is a summer blockbuster, you won't change my mind) - but that cast looks stacked. I remember from the reviews that Mackenzie Davis is the co-lead, and then you have Alison Brie, Aubrey Plaza, Dan Levy, Victor Garber (I don't know if he's funny but you can't be bad with that long of a career), and Mary Steenburgen. Oh, and the director and co-writer was in Veep. That Charlie's Angels film was a pretty bang-below-average blockbuster tbh. Everyone in it is better in other things (in Naomi Scott's case, Aladdin or even Power Rangers which was decent).

Oh wow, who says Violent Night is GoT-level? If its like Bullet Train, I'm in. But as I've just said…not into the more grim stuff.

Back