• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Essentials GSC (v1.3) + Discord Server

XVR

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 27, 2024
POKÉMON ESSENTIALS GSC KIT​

splash.png

Version: 1.3

Changelog

Join the Discord and share your ideas and creations!
>> POKÉMON ESSENTIALS GSC DISCORD <<

You can also use the GitHub version to have the updates before the release.
>> Pokémon Essentials GSC Public Repository <<​

Introduction

"Pokémon Essentials GSC" is a tool kit which allows to create Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal-style fangames. It uses as a base Pokémon Essentias v18.1. This is not just and upgrade from the old v13 Pokémon Essentials GS kit, because it brings new features, polishes obsolete stuff and fixes many bugs, UIs and details to fit almost perfectly GSC-style games.

Features

• An engine already prepared to work on a GBC screen resolution and GSC-style. All stuff included tries to follow in detail the whole visuals and features from Gen II games.
  • Pokémon sprites adapted to respect GSC sizes (until Gen II); new devamped sprites for Gen 3+ Pokémon and new party icons for each species from all Generations.
  • A bunch of new attack animations and graphics that will serve you to create your own.
  • "Day & Night Cycle" using a Tile-Swap system.
  • Updated general UIs to support new features, like abilities, natures or Evs, and also tweaked the existing ones for GSC visual accuracy, like the Pokégear, Trainer Card, the Pokédex or the Pack. New Storage System!
  • Battle UI improvements to not just to follow GSC-style, but also to support: Double battles! (triple battles are coded in Essentials since v18 comes out, but due to the smaller screen resolution, it's impossible to make triple battles "visually comfortable"); Mega Evolution; Safari Zone and Bug Catching Contest (also fixed errors from the older Essentials GS version).
  • Functional Pokémon battle and extra features until Generation 8: abilities, items, moves and Pokémon; Fairy type, Move Relearner, Shadow Pokémon, Ready Menu for register items and much more!
  • Many GSC music themes and SFX resources to further recreate the essence of Generation II games.
  • Removed some unused content which wasn't on GSC games and it's not useful for most fangames: Markings and Ribbons.
  • Other improvements and extra stuff: Headbut trees now can be defined using a Terrain Tag; PBS data are already prepared to work with the screen resolution (items, abilities and moves descriptions); now you can see moves effects in the Summary Screen pressing Z button; the Pokédex Search follows the GSC-style (types only); the Pokédex Entry page supports Pokémon descriptions of any extension...
  • Included Turbo Mode (Pressing ALT key).
  • MKXP: run gameplays at 60fps!

Screenshots
Spoiler:

What's still missing?

• Pokémon sprites from Generation 3 onwards.
  • Mystery Gift and Purify Chamber are not included.

Known Issues

• Some attack animations may look out of place because of the screen resolution which the animation editor works with, which is not exactly the same as the game's one. Most of them look fine, but if don't, just play around with the animation sheet and the coordinates through the screen.​
  • There may be some little errors in Battle Frontier, but mostly visuals.​

Useful resources

*Make sure that if you use this kit, you must credit all these people!*

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Hey!

I'd like to report that the vast majority of gen VI battlers sprites has transparent pixels instead of white ones, like you can see on the screenshot below.

NdOrEHo.png

Aside from that, this is a really good ressource, and I wish you luck for the rest of your project!

Years
Congrats on getting this to a working state! I'm glad some of the UIs I made could be put to some use, although I'm sorry I couldn't help out more (I'm AwfullyWaffley on Discord).

XVR

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 27, 2024
Pokémon Essentials GSC has been updated to v1.1
Download it here --> Pokémon Essentials GSC v1.1

I've also created a Discord server to create a community for all of those who use this kit, resolve doubts, share creations and give facilities to the people who want to create their own GSC-style project!

You can join using this link --> ​Pokémon Essentials GSC Discord Server​​​

The main post has been tweaked

Changelog
Spoiler:

XVR

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 27, 2024
Pokémon Essentials GSC updates to v1.2!

This huge and important update leaves this base in a high state of completion, offering a solid engine with which you have practically everything at your disposal to be able to make your own GSC-style fangame.

Download here or check the main post --> Pokémon Essentials GSC v1.2

Spoiler:

Good luck and enjoy! ^^​

XVR

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 27, 2024
Pokémon Essentials GSC v1.3​

This a mostly a QoL update. It fixes the latest bugs present in the kit and adds several interesting functionalities, such as a custom Encounter List UI, larger events feature from Pokémon Essentials v19 and some improvements in UIs.

In addition, I want to say that this is going to be the last official update. I think that the kit is solid and complete enough to create fangames in a GSC style with all the comforts. I recommend you to join the Discord for possible future patches or graphical resources, but in principle it can be said that this project is finished, so thank you for all the support and again thanks to all contributors who have made this possible!

Direct download --> Pokémon Essentials GSC v1.3

See the changelog here --> Changelog

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 2, 2022
Can I create new types of trainers? The kit does not allow me to edit the PBS files. :(

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 13, 2022
Cant open it. While i can open the normal essentials just fine it says on this version here it was made with an older rmxp version and cant be opened.
what can i do?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 20, 2022
Do you have a new Discord link? @XVR

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Cant open it. While i can open the normal essentials just fine it says on this version here it was made with an older rmxp version and cant be opened.
what can i do?
Replace the .rxproj file on project root with the one who comes with default Essentials.

Back