I like penguins

Age 25
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
158 posts
5.3 Years
It's a new year (and new decade), and I've been wondering how people feel about USB type C and the ups and downs that it has brought with it. I still see various people saying that they love it, hate it, or just wish they could stay using the same old stuff we've had for years.

I'm personally a very big fan of it since many of my devices use it (and I'm absolutely stoked for USB4 in the future), I'd love to hear other's thoughts and opinions on this jack of all trades now that it's had time to mature.

erik destler

pthhpth

Age 28
Male
louisiana
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 14 Hours Ago
8,079 posts
14.8 Years
I actually prefer USB-C, and I was pretty disappointed that the iPhone 11 still went with a Lightning Port. The iPad Pro from 2018 features USB-C, and all I want is just to have several of the same cable for the sake of convenience.
paired with Cherrim

Dark Zeta

I like penguins

Age 25
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
158 posts
5.3 Years
I actually prefer USB-C, and I was pretty disappointed that the iPhone 11 still went with a Lightning Port. The iPad Pro from 2018 features USB-C, and all I want is just to have several of the same cable for the sake of convenience.
Yeah... I really feel like Apple dropped the ball with not adopting USB-C on their phones when they were the ones that started the movement with their MacBook lineup. (Wondering if the no-port iPhone rumor is true or not).

I love being able to use the same charger for my phone, laptop, keyboard, headphones, Nintendo Switch, etc. Also, USB-C extension cables on my laptop charger working across the room? Yes please!

Tsutarja

Age 25
Male
Tampa, FL
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
I'm glad that it's being adapted even by vendors like Apple, who in the past preferred a proprietary standard.

Pig

Not Frankie Muniz

Age 25
Seen 4 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
267 posts
1.8 Years
Love it, don't even know what a down is other than older tech, like older phones obvs don't have it

Twitter

Game of the Month: Sims Urbz

Dark Zeta

I like penguins

Age 25
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
158 posts
5.3 Years
Love it, don't even know what a down is other than older tech, like older phones obvs don't have it
I had a fairly large issue with it at first due to it being new and non-standardized (I believe this is essentially a non-issue now). Many people can also find them fairly confusing due to the amount of options they have.

The biggest complaint I here is that they are essentially killing older standards like Micro-USB and the 3.5 millimeter jack (headphone jack). Another complaint is regarding devices that only have USB-C which forces users to purchase adapters for old technology like traditional flashdrives.

colours

Female
the dream world
Online now
Posted 5 Hours Ago
6,125 posts
14.9 Years
(Wondering if the no-port iPhone rumor is true or not).
i'd say this is definitely within the realm of possibility. probably pretty likely, at that.

i remember when Apple's headphone jack ditch was initially mocked and made fun of and then eventually nearly every single smartphone manufacturer followed suit. i suppose whether companies like or dislike Apple, its influence on the smartphone industry is pretty much undeniable at this point. if they were to go with a no-port iPhone, it'd be a huge slap to the face to like, everyone who's starting to adopt USB-C. not only that, manufacturers would be stuck making the decision on whether or not to follow in Apple's shoes and do the same thing because they also want to be perceived as "with the times" and ditch all ports on their phones, or break the trend and continue as they have with USB-C being their standard. the reason for this mostly being that wireless charging seems more of a... futuristic (for a lack of another word to put it) thing than corded charging which may be the more appealing route, but who knows.

wireless charging technology is far from perfect, though. i dont know if fast-charging is a thing with wireless chargers or whether USB-C pretty much outclasses them in that regard.

i will say, at a time where laptops are also adopting the USB-C standard as well as miscellaneous accessories, it would be a slap to most people to now have to go out and buy expensive wireless chargers all because of the industry trend, so i really hope, even if Apple does go this route, that other smartphone manufacturers don't.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.

Male
Liberty Garden
Seen 4 Days Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
9,308 posts
7.3 Years
Personally I don't mind with USB-C because my Nintendo Switch comes with one, and I don't have to worry on plug in the wrong side of the cable if I wanted to charge it.

However, it's not quite common for me because most of the phones that I have still have Micro USB as the charging port. I just hope USB-C cable won't replace other useful ports like the headphone jack because I'm still comfy using it.

Dark Zeta

I like penguins

Age 25
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
158 posts
5.3 Years
Personally I don't mind with USB-C because my Nintendo Switch comes with one, and I don't have to worry on plug in the wrong side of the cable if I wanted to charge it.

However, it's not quite common for me because most of the phones that I have still have Micro USB as the charging port. I just hope USB-C cable won't replace other useful ports like the headphone jack because I'm still comfy using it.
It's already replaced it (it in addition to Bluetooth becoming a more common standard). None of the current flagship smartphones ship with a headphone jack as of the Samsung Note 10. The latest flagship that offers it is the Samsung Galaxy 10.

I suggest to look toward the mid tier range of smartphones for the future if you wish to stick with it. :)

Incineroar.

Seen 3 Weeks Ago
Posted February 15th, 2020
311 posts
10.9 Years
It's already replaced it (it in addition to Bluetooth becoming a more common standard). None of the current flagship smartphones ship with a headphone jack as of the Samsung Note 10. The latest flagship that offers it is the Samsung Galaxy 10.

I suggest to look toward the mid tier range of smartphones for the future if you wish to stick with it. :)
The LG G8 and G8X still have it, as well as the V50, all of which is high end or flagship tier.

USB-C as a standard is really nice, because I'm not having to guess what cables a device needs, it's just one cable. It's also nice for the technologically inept or challenged because they won't have issues with having to use it. It just works.
My country lay within a vast desert. When the sun rose into the sky, a burning wind punished my lands, searing the world.

And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came, the wind carried the same thing... Death.

But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin.

I coveted that wind, I suppose.

Signature Image

Dark Zeta

I like penguins

Age 25
Male
Mississippi, U.S.
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
158 posts
5.3 Years
The LG G8 and G8X still have it, as well as the V50, all of which is high end or flagship tier.

USB-C as a standard is really nice, because I'm not having to guess what cables a device needs, it's just one cable. It's also nice for the technologically inept or challenged because they won't have issues with having to use it. It just works.
I honestly forget that LG is still making phones, so my bad on omitting them. As long as their Quad DAC is still a selling point, then they will continue to use the jack. Though, I wouldn't be shocked if they stop selling phones within the next 2 years. I believe the G9 should be releasing...this month. We'll see if they still include it then.
Advertiser Content