• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Very simple question here guys. I have looked on the internet for ages for this and can not find it anywhere!

I used to have it... Whats the SetFlag for activating the NATIONAL Pokedex on a Firered hack. I have the Kanto dex but thats no use, need the National Dex! Thanks :)

It's not a flag, but a special. To activate the National Pokédex in FireRed, include: "special 0x16F" in a script.

DaleH771

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
It's not a flag, but a special. To activate the National Pokédex in FireRed, include: "special 0x16F" in a script.

Cheers! Was one of the very last additions to my game before I could release its beta version.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I suppose I've only scratched the surface with this...I wanted to make an item that allows the player to travel on water without needing a Pokemon with surf. I found the script for surf (no badge check is included, by the way). I thought by making the script go to the surfboard check after the attack check would make it work, but it doesn't...I assume there's a check in the game that automatically ends the script if there isn't anyone with surf. The script works perfectly...I assigned it to a person, and it worked basically flawlessly. Does anyone know what needs to be done?

droomph

weeb
Years
I suppose I've only scratched the surface with this...I wanted to make an item that allows the player to travel on water without needing a Pokemon with surf. I found the script for surf (no badge check is included, by the way). I thought by making the script go to the surfboard check after the attack check would make it work, but it doesn't...I assume there's a check in the game that automatically ends the script if there isn't anyone with surf. The script works perfectly...I assigned it to a person, and it worked basically flawlessly. Does anyone know what needs to be done?
Have you checked all the specials? There might be a sequence of them, and you just probably need to bl to each special's ASM to activate the surf.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Have you checked all the specials? There might be a sequence of them, and you just probably need to bl to each special's ASM to activate the surf.

The only special involved in the script was the one that most firered scripts have...the one that ends the script if it yields a two. Took it out, but it still doesn't work. I assume there's something about the tiles behavior byte that automatically ends the script if you don't have a surfing Pokemon...which I thought was odd, since the script checks for a Pokemon with surf as well. I guess it's just a matter of changing some bytes...I'll see if I can figure anything out (which I doubt I will)

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2012
Does anyone know why when I dump the menu text in Fire Red (using WindHex) I get incomplete text? :| Here's an extract:

Code:
//ATUS P[LINE]
//ROBLEM[LINE]
//END[LINE]
That should read "STATUS PROBLEM" but the first 2 letters of "STATUS"
are missing, plus there's an unnessecary line break after the first
letter of "PROBLEM". The entire dumped .txt file looks like that. Solutions...?

No one has any suggestions???

xTr

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2018
Fire Red Question: Is it possible to read / edit the attack animations. I can read the sprite + pallete for the attack but can't find anything related to how animation works on it.

For ex. ( cant post linkz zzz ) there is fire animation that is used by several skills but in different way FLAMETHROWER ( cone of fire ) / EMBER ( spawns few fire sprites under enemy pokemon )

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
That I figured out, but how do I go about dumping and editing this text if it's different from the other in-game text? :\
That's difficult to be said actually - I've never done anything expect taking a look at the scripting engine of FireRed before.

It's possible that the game reads some of the letters twice and if so, some assembly code might contain data that points to letters itself, not words as whole. (That's just an assumption though and it would make no sense why that part could be programmed that way)

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2012
That's difficult to be said actually - I've never done anything expect taking a look at the scripting engine of FireRed before.

It's possible that the game reads some of the letters twice and if so, some assembly code might contain data that points to letters itself, not words as whole. (That's just an assumption though and it would make no sense why that part could be programmed that way)

Do you have suggestions for things I could try?

Could I get away with just editting the dumped .txt as if it were just like all the other text in the game? i.e ignore the missing letters and line breaks?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Hello pipz.
I have a few questions that I hope anyone can help me.

1. I am editing the title screen of a Ruby ROM. I have done the tileset for the titlescreen and already done inserting it in the game via Unlz-GBA and repointing. Now, I wish to know where should I insert the .raw... I have arranged the tiles of the title screen through NTME.

2. How am I able to remove the "Item" and "Save" from the Start Menu?

Thanks and hope someone can help me. ;)

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Do you have suggestions for things I could try?

Could I get away with just editting the dumped .txt as if it were just like all the other text in the game? i.e ignore the missing letters and line breaks?
I'd myself check how doing that affects the game first.
Then you'll see if some of the letters are actually loaded twice.
*See also what the line breaks are for

Hello pipz.
How am I able to remove the "Item" and "Save" from the Start Menu?

Find a table file for Ruby, download it and then search for that text.
After that, find a pointer leading to the text which leads to, very likely, assembly code of the menu.
Next thing to do is to figure out what to do with the assembly code.

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2021
Hi, apologies in advance if this is a completely dumb question that's been answered countless times. I've looked at heaps of tutorials and looked around for anything with the same problem but I can't really find anything that's specifically like mine.
So, this is my first time editing a ROM, I'm editing Ruby version.
I'm trying to put in edited sprites for the gym leaders in unLZ. I've followed the tutorials about how indexing it, finding free space, fixing the pointers.
And I can get one gym sprite showing up fine.

but if I try and import more than one leader's sprite they start messing up. The colours go crazy or if I'm on pokenav the page won't load at all and freezes.

I have no idea what to do. I thought maybe I had to put the in free space that was far away from eachother, but that doesn't seem to help.
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? The first time I add a new sprite is perfectly fine, but I don't know what's happening the second time to make it mess up round when I'm doing the exact same process.

(I'd give images but I have to make 15 posts beforehand, and to be honest I only joined the site to see if I can get help with this + I'm too distracted to go out and post right now + I'm not sure if I'm allowed to bypass it by putting in spaces in links or if that's against the rules)

Years
  • Seen Sep 20, 2013
I want to start ROM hacking. I do have basic knowledge, as I used to mess around back in the days.
Which rom is most editable? Which rom can I use most tools for?

basically, which rom to hack, as my first hack ever :)!

Is there any essentials thread or something like the RPG Maker?
Which Script editor to use?
Which map editor?
all the essentials :)

Specially which Script editor to use. I want to change a lot of things and learn my way up :D

Capitalist Ness

can't stump the trump
Years
@up
I think Ruby is the best rom for editing, but no one cares about it. Most people here know alot about FireRed. IMO best script editor is XSE and best map editor is AM 1.92.

Anyways, I have a problem too.
I think it's a common problem, I remember encountering it in Light Platinum once. Not sure when. In some places, when I turn menu on/kick wild Pokemon's butt/make a trainer eat dirt, game glitches like hell. For example, game's camera going insane, main character's clonning. I have no idea why is it happening. But I pointed out that it happens mostly in places where I put new events.
Hope someone helps.
Hacking Ruby.

Years
@up
I think Ruby is the best rom for editing, but no one cares about it. Most people here know alot about FireRed. IMO best script editor is XSE and best map editor is AM 1.92.

Anyways, I have a problem too.
I think it's a common problem, I remember encountering it in Light Platinum once. Not sure when. In some places, when I turn menu on/kick wild Pokemon's butt/make a trainer eat dirt, game glitches like hell. For example, game's camera going insane, main character's clonning. I have no idea why is it happening. But I pointed out that it happens mostly in places where I put new events.
Hope someone helps.
Hacking Ruby.

Hm, do any person events have the "look down" movement type? If so, change it to "No Movement", it makes the ow look down without the glitches.

Capitalist Ness

can't stump the trump
Years
Impressive, it worked.
Thank you very much! I thought it was something bigger. Why "look down" movement type causes these glitches?
You don't need to respond, but it just makes me think...

Years
Impressive, it worked.
Thank you very much! I thought it was something bigger. Why "look down" movement type causes these glitches?
You don't need to respond, but it just makes me think...

Not sure, I think it's just a glitch code that Lu-Ho incorrectly labelled, though I'm no expert haha. Glad to have helped!

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Hello pipz.
I have a few questions that I hope anyone can help me.

I am editing the title screen of a Ruby ROM. I have done the tileset for the titlescreen and already done inserting it in the game via Unlz-GBA and repointing. Now, I wish to know where should I insert the .raw... I have arranged the tiles of the title screen through NTME.

I am reposting my question~
Hope anyone can help~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back