• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why were Jhoto pokemon never a big part of the story?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I feel exactly the same way - I love all Johto Pokemon, but in the advanced games, they really don't appear a lot. In FR/LG, there're just a few Johto Pokemon on the seven islands, and in Emerald, there are some of them in the Safari Zone, but that's all.

It's probably because there's no Johto region in these games. When the only regions to play in are Kanto/Hoenn, it's just natural that mostly Kanto/Hoenn Pokemon will appear. It's sad, but we can't change anything about it :\

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Going with what LightningAlex said, the main focuses in Gen III were Kanto and Hoenn. Johto didn't see much limelight, though it would have been nice if they had a little bit more focused on.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
The POKeMON of Johto were pretty original, I would of liked to see more of them in any game following their premiere.

Years
I feel like since there's less Pokemon, and a lot are like pre-evos, there's less like ways to incorporate the essence of Johto as a whole in the third generation games. And by the essence obviously legendaries are a big part of that.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2012
I think Johto Pokemon are a big part in the whole series

And you misspelled Johto, you switched the o and the h

Last edited:

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I think that Johto Pokemon were pretty rare in Gen II too. They were there, but they weren't that common and Kanto Pokemon took their spotlight. Most of the times I played Gen II I only used Kanto Pokemon + Johto starter.

Now to answer the question. It's simple. Kanto believes that there are only 151 Pokemon, so Johto Pokemon aren't possible to be found there. Except for Sevii Islands of course. Same goes for Hoenn (Ruby and Sapphire), where even Kanto Pokemon were a bit rare, and the Safari Zone featured some pretty common Pokemon from Kanto (like Pikachu). But when Emerald was released, they included lots of Johto Pokemon. So I don't feel like Johtomons were really excluded.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
They didn't play any sort of important crucial role, but they were there enough to say that counted for the result.
Like the 3 starters after the 100% Pokédex [Hoenn] in Emerald.
Ho-Oh and Lugia in Navel Rock.
And the many johto pokémon in Sevii Islands and Battle Frontier.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
What I know of the regions is that Johto and Hoenn are in opposite directions of Kanto, so finding Johto Pokémon in Hoenn is an obvious unlikelihood. If Hoenn came first and Johto second, I'm sure the opposite would be the case and we'd see some Hoenn in the Johto Safari Zone in the case of Johto being the third generation, but they would again be imports and not native to the area in any such case.

Even in the anime I wonder how Jigglypuff found its way from Johto to Hoenn. Of course, after its Hoenn cameo, we never see it again from what I've read.

Cyclone

Cyclone

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
It's a shame, a lot of my faves come from from Johto. It's nice how some pokés like Houndour etc have made more than one appearance though, like in safari zones :)

I'd say that the Safari zones are where you find several of the Johto native Pokemon, which makes sense. It's a place where rare and foreign Pokemon are shipped to in order to be captured by trainers.

But I suppose that it's both the geography (as has been said, if they were on opposite sides of Hoenn then Johto Pokemon would be uncommon) and the fact that Generation 1 was obviously the debut of Pokemon. They're considered 'more important' than the other generations because of their roots which is perfectly acceptable. Thus, Hoenn is mostly composed of Gen1 and Gen3 Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
Maybe because Gen III is on the same boat as Gen I, as they have the same timeline (forgot where I saw that), so it focuses a lot more on Kanto's Pokemon than Johto's Pokemon. I'm honestly surprised why some of them were restricted to the Safari Zone.

Years
I personally missed the Pokemon. I have a lot of good memories with the Johto Pokemon. Wish they did it like they did the SoulSilver/Heart of Gold remakes and compsited all the pokedexes together.

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2012
I think it is because Nintendo had yet to 'finalize' their formula of new lands, new Pokemon as a very important aspect of the story. Though Johto was probably my favorite region of any Pokemon games I played.

Pinta77

It's because lots of the johto pokemon were all released in colosseum. It's not technically gba, but you can still trade them.

If you only have a gameboy advance, then johto is kind of left out.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2012
They should have intergated them in more. Like letting Golbat evolve in FR/LF. And it's always been my personal belief that Gym leaders should have Pokemon from all regions. I mean, they're the best around, why wouldn't they?

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
They honestly should of had more Johto Pokemon in the 3rd Gen, they just seem 'left out.' I think for R/S/E with the introduction of so many new Pokemon, GameFreak wanted players to focus on them more instead of others. And for FR/LG, being a remake of the originals which were before G/S/C, means probably almost no Johto Pokemon. That's just my opinon though :P

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
There was a hefty sum of Johto Pokemon in Colo/XD, but yeah I see what you mean.

Shouldn't have to rely on console games to get those Pokemon. Especially with no backwards compatibility.

Back