• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: TSK's Shiny Chance Changing tool[v2.1 released: Graphical User Interface, Ruby support]

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Just a suggestion, but how about allowing the user to input a percentage instead of a numerator and denominator?
It would probably be more used-friendly that way.

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
Just a suggestion, but how about allowing the user to input a percentage instead of a numerator and denominator?

I don't think it's a big difference personally. Numerator and denominator aren't pretty words but they just mean "fraction" in practice. Fractions can also achieve results that percentages can't, like 1/3 and 1/8.

I'd love to see Emerald support though. It'd be nice to actually see some of my edited shiny palettes in-game every now and then. (Shinyzer is great but it's geared more toward a Red Gyarados encounter than it is to making shinies more common in general.)

The Shadow Knight

Roaming Kanto
Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2022

I'll add support for this, should be a fairly quick addition.

I don't think it's a big difference personally. Numerator and denominator aren't pretty words but they just mean "fraction" in practice. Fractions can also achieve results that percentages can't, like 1/3 and 1/8.

I'd love to see Emerald support though. It'd be nice to actually see some of my edited shiny palettes in-game every now and then. (Shinyzer is great but it's geared more toward a Red Gyarados encounter than it is to making shinies more common in general.)

I'll look into Emerald. Most likely the relevant part of the ROM base is the same between Emerald and Fire Red so the edits themselves will be similar, but there's quite a few offset to find. Most likely I'll have some time by the week-end.

EDIT: Turns out that adding emerald support could be done very, very quickly. The tool has this been updated to version 1.1!

Last edited:

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
Years
I've been trying to open this problem for the past couple of minutes now and it doesn't work. It opens for like a second, and then closes again. What's happening? And why did you make it a program that has to use cmd.exe?

The Shadow Knight

Roaming Kanto
Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2022
I've been trying to open this problem for the past couple of minutes now and it doesn't work. It opens for like a second, and then closes again. What's happening? And why did you make it a program that has to use cmd.exe?

Because making a Graphical User Interface for something like this seemed overkill. Anyhow, this shoud work:

-Put your ROM and the tool in the same folder.
-Go up one level and right click the folder while holding SHIFT
-Click the 'open command window here' option
-type the command in the cmd(see OP)

I might make a graphical shell sometime.

EDIT:

And when I said "sometime" I apparently meant "the very first moment I have some free time"... Anyway, enjoy!

Thank's. That was very great tool with ideal potential... If you found Ruby places. It was good. XD When you make it avaible for Ruby. I use it on my hack.

I have added Ruby support.

Last edited:

The Shadow Knight

Roaming Kanto
Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2022
Version 2.1 has been released. This version fixes bugs introduced into Fire Red and Emerald by older versions of the tool, please repatch your ROM with the new version!

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Thanks for providing support for Ruby, even though it's kinda not needed these days. xD
Anyway, I seem to be dealing with a problem. I cannot use the tool either by using the GUI or through the command line. I get this error message when I do so...
"ShinyCCGUI.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

...And oh, my OS is WinXP. :P
(Yeah, I'm old school like that... >.>)

The Shadow Knight

Roaming Kanto
Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2022
Thanks for providing support for Ruby, even though it's kinda not needed these days. xD
Anyway, I seem to be dealing with a problem. I cannot use the tool either by using the GUI or through the command line. I get this error message when I do so...
"ShinyCCGUI.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

...And oh, my OS is WinXP. :P
(Yeah, I'm old school like that... >.>)

Well that's no good. I'll have a look at build profiles tonight, I'm not sure if this thing compiled as an x64 or x86 binary and I can't check from here.

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Well that's no good. I'll have a look at build profiles tonight, I'm not sure if this thing compiled as an x64 or x86 binary and I can't check from here.

Thanks. And take your time~ ^^

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I have recompiled the executable and GUI for x86 CPU, the link in the OP now points to that release. It's not likely that that extra x64 efficiency would be needed for this app anyway =p

Still saying that it's not a valid win32 application. :/

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I wanna ask if this was intentional. Trainer's 'mons (on Ruby) can also be shiny. :P

The Shadow Knight

Roaming Kanto
Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2022
I wanna ask if this was intentional. Trainer's 'mons (on Ruby) can also be shiny. :P

This is a side effect of the patch in every version, I haven't found a way to circumvent it =p The game avoids trainer shinies by generating a PID that isn't shiny under the normal shiny rules, but my patch changes those.

Blah

Free supporter
Years

Actually, those numbers end up being rounded inorder to be supported. It'd have to be a 4 byte number at most. The reason why by default generation 3 games have such a low chance is because the math behind PID XoR SID <= 8 is a low chance when PID and SID are arbitrary 4 byte numbers. You simply can't achieve that kind of percentage with these kind of hacks, so the number is rounded instead. Most people would use this tool to increase the shiny rate, so percentage is a pretty good way to do it.

Also I don't know why people still use Shinyzer. That can practically be considered a bug seeing as it fails to create a shiny with actually random stats, that and it changes the random seed directly.

This is a side effect of the patch in every version, I haven't found a way to circumvent it =p The game avoids trainer shinies by generating a PID that isn't shiny under the normal shiny rules, but my patch changes those.

Actually it doesn't prevent that. The PID is generated only once, so you can encounter a shiny trainer Pokemon. The Make Pokemon function in the game is the same for trainers and wild Pokemon :P

The Shadow Knight

Roaming Kanto
Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2022
Actually, those numbers end up being rounded inorder to be supported. It'd have to be a 4 byte number at most. The reason why by default generation 3 games have such a low chance is because the math behind PID XoR SID <= 8 is a low chance when PID and SID are arbitrary 4 byte numbers. You simply can't achieve that kind of percentage with these kind of hacks, so the number is rounded instead. Most people would use this tool to increase the shiny rate, so percentage is a pretty good way to do it.

Also I don't know why people still use Shinyzer. That can practically be considered a bug seeing as it fails to create a shiny with actually random stats, that and it changes the random seed directly.

Actually it doesn't prevent that. The PID is generated only once, so you can encounter a shiny trainer Pokemon. The Make Pokemon function in the game is the same for trainers and wild Pokemon :P

Oh really huh, I always assumed the pokemon of random trainers were guarded against being shiny. You can see I haven't gotten around to debugging that part =p

Back