• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] 2021 Gaming Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Montly update. This month, like most months this year, brought a bunch of changes to my life, meaning I once again barely played. And I already know next few months will be the same, so I'm not so sure I can finish this challenge. But I also tackled most of the "long" games down and there are mostly short games left on my list.

August
Little Big Workshop (2019, Builder, PC, 23.4 h, 8)
Gothic 2: Gold (2005, RPG, PC, 42.2 h, 8.5)
Dishonored (2012, Immersive sim, PC, 15.6 h, 8.5)

32/50

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
August
  1. NEO: The World Ends With You
  2. Layton Brothers: Mystery Room
  3. Great Ace Attorney: Adventures

Total beaten this year: 29

Three more games done in August. (b'-')b

Years
Monthly update. I have no idea how, but I managed to beat 7 games. Well, they were usually short indie games, but it still counts. I usually played them 1-2 hours before going to the bed. I've been also slowly working on Breath of the Wild, but that game is so boring, that it will take a lot of mental power to return to it and finally finish the final temple.

September
Nekopara 4 (2020, Visual Novel, PC, 5.8 h, 8)
Blue Fire (2021, Platformer/Zelda-clone, PC, 11.9 h, 8)
Metroid (1987, Action Adventure, NES, 5.2 h, 9)
Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor (1993, RPG, PC, 7.8 h, 7)
Superliminal (2019, Puzzle, PC, 2.6 h, 9.5)
Carto (2020, Puzzle, PC, 4.6 h, 8.5)
Firewatch (2016, Walking Simulator, PC, 4.4 h, 8)

39/50

Years
I'm gonna be optimistic and shoot for 5.

Games beaten: [5/5]

The Outer Worlds (finished 8 February)
Hades
Chaos on Deponia (finished 13 February)
Goodbye Deponia (finished 14 February)
Fallout: New Vegas

Extra credit:
Deponia Doomsday
Bastion
Pokemon Gen 4 Remake (if it releases this year)
qomp (beaten 7 February)
Catherine (beaten 13 May)

I still need to beat Hades and Fallout: New Vegas, maybe I'll tackle those after Halloween. Also I've noticed the first post hasn't been updated yet.... :ninja:

pkmin3033

I'm done! After suffering through The Last of Us Part II, I have finished 100 games this year, something I have never done before and will probably never do again. Honestly I'm not sure how I even managed to do it when I've spent a lot of time this year being ill, didn't have a break from work for five months, and a lot of the games I've been playing have taken me anywhere between a week and a full month to finish. Maybe my time management is better than I thought! Full list is under the spoiler:
Spoiler:

I am not extending my goal a third time; I want to kick back and relax with some casual replays and some more time-consuming RPGs for the rest of the year I think. Nice as 125 or even 150 would be, I'm not putting myself through that kind of stress. xD

Years
Monthly update. Once again, I didn't game as much as I thought I would and I didn't even touch a single non-Pokémon game in the last week of October, otherwise I think I would finish at least Silent Hill 3 too. Anyway, it was great horror month. I played Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2, which were horrors by genre and The Breath of the Wild, which was horror by game design. I think I can finish this challenge after all. I was thinking about replaying some old short DOS classics like Dyna Blaster or Prehistorik, which shouldn't take that long to finish. But first, I'll beat Silent Hill 3 & 4. And maybe some other Silent Hills.

October
SIlent Hill (1999, Survival Horror, PS1, 6.8 h, 9)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017, Action Adventure, Switch, 48.6 h, 5)
SIlent Hill 2 (2001, Survival Horror, PS2, 6.7 h, 9.5)

42/50

Cherrim

Years
I am well past my new goal of 31 games but I'm not extending it because the month of the new XIV expansion is upon us in under two hours and I have no idea what my free time will be like once that exists.

September & October
  1. Bastion
  2. Panel de Pon
  3. Tales of Eternia
  4. To the Moon
  5. A Bird Story
  6. Finding Paradise
  7. Impostor Factory
  8. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Total beaten this year: 37

"But Erica," you say, "why is the Final Fantasy XIV base game on here? You're caught up."

yeah but now i'm levelling an alt so I get to count each expansion over again because they're all like 70 hours jrpgs. ♥

Years
Monthly update. This was fun month. I finished another 2 Silent Hill games, with the 3rd game getting high on my top 5 horror games. Gray Matter is also one of my favourite P&C adventure game, so I was glad it aged well. And I also found time to move on to another Yakuza game. Hopefully, I can get to another Yakuza game soon. I also finished Super Mario Galaxy in Super Mario 3D All-Stars. Once again, it got high on my favourite list. And I started playing Yu-Gi-Oh! Tag Force Special, but haven't done much of a progress in that.

I'm not sure what I want to play in December. I would love to play Elex, which will take a while. I would also like to play Metroid Dread and probably finish Super Mario 3D All-Stars. I'll squeeze in some older games too. I'm sure I can beat 4 games in total.

November
Silent Hill 3 (2003, Survival Horror, PS2, 4.07 h, 9.5)
Silent Hill 4 (2004, Survival Horror, PC, 6.07 h, 7.5)
Gray Matter (2011, P&C Adventure, PC, 8.2 h, 9.5)
Yakuza Kiwami 2 (2019, Action Adventure, PC, 14.4 h, 8.5)

46/50

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
[4/7]

Games completed:
- VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
- Hades
- The Great Ace Attorney Adventures
- Genshin Impact

Hades is fantastic, a new favourite! It took me a fair amount of tries to achieve my first escape (20-something), but the game becomes more and more fun as you power up, anyway. The art style and graphics are just amazing! And I love that the characters are all voiced-over with lots of different dialogue lines (Zagreus' voice is 😳).

The Great Ace Attorney Adventures was... an experience! I haven't played an AA in a long time and it certainly rekindled my love for the series. The pacing is slower and the cases don't feel as edge-of-your-seat like past games, yet I found myself caring so much for all of the characters (including the stereotyped Brits with only one appearance, haha, they're all so loveable!). I mean, who can't love a game with Detective Herlock Sholmes in it? I've already finished Case 1 of the second game! I just sort of wish the games were a little harder and had you second-guessing more. The trials are easy - I only got stuck a couple times from not examining evidence properly, or thinking too far ahead of the game. So Ryunosuke's moments of cluelessness could get annoying if the answer was SO obvious, haha. 😅

One thing, which is a spoiler for new players:
Spoiler:

I'm counting Genshin Impact as a completed game because while I only started this year, I've done most of the main story and been through major patches. Not much to say about this game that everyone doesn't know already, haha, but my first few weeks of playing were a blast! It does have a lot going for it. The main things holding it back are the developer's stinginess and how boring it gets when you reach a high AR (unless you co-op with friends I guess, which I can't do!). I still play it semi-regularly though and won't be dropping it any time soon.

I feel like I'm forgetting a game... oh well!

Games nearly completed:
- Unraveled
- Team Sonic Racing
- The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve
- Inscryption

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
[5/7]

Finally beat Inscryption!

I would never have expected to like this game as it's so far from what I usually play, but after watching Markiplier's LPs and seeing how satisfying the gameplay is, I had to try it for myself - no regrets! I now consider it one of my favourites. I'm so glad I gave it a chance. It does get pretty whacky, and the puzzles/secrets are a little ambiguous and easy to miss, but overall I'd highly recommend if you're simply into card games! Or even if you're not. I didn't think I was!

The first part of the game is easily my favourite. I can play that for hours, and I don't even mind dying since I just get to restart the whole map with a new deck and enjoy myself some more! Really hope they release an infinite version of that!

Years
I did it! I have no idea how, but I did it! It was fun, but I feel I won't be repeating it next year. Completing this event was my main focus in my free time, so I kinda neglected other hobbies because of it. So, I'll decrease my goal number by a lot next year.

Anyway, I found a lot of great new series like Eye of the Beholder, Frog Detective, Dark Souls or Silent Hill. I also finally got Switch and played few games on it. But not every game was great. I would say Tell Me Why is still the biggest disappointment for me, followed up by Dark Souls 2. Some games were straight up boring like The Stillness of the Wind or 911 Operator. I'll rank each new game I've played this year before the end of the year, so be prepared for that.

December
Gothic 3 (2006, RPG, PC, 34.2 h, 7)
Metroid Dread (2021, Action Adventure, Switch, 6.5 h, 9.5)
Polarity (2014, Puzzle, PC, 1 h, 7)
Dyna Blaster (1990, Action/Maze, PC, 2.1 h, 7.5)

50/50

Cherrim

Years
I have a feeling I prooobably won't beat anything else with only 4 days left in the month, so I guess it's time for my final update!

November & December
  1. Jurassic Park: The Game*
  2. Unpacking
  3. Little Nightmares
  4. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker
  5. The Burnable Garbage Day
  6. Little Big Planet 3
  7. Rakuen
* I forgot to include this in October's games when I played it.

Total beaten this year: 44

It probably would have been kinda cool to do an even 50, but alas, it was not meant to be. I will probably lower my goal for next year because I just don't have as much free time as I did and don't want to spend all of it gaming if I can help it, but this was fun. I wish I'd picked a more challenging number this year, though, because I breezed past it and my updated goal way too easily. :')

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
I'll call my 5/5 complete here. I haven't been documenting things nearly as well as some people have been, but I have beaten enough games this year for that. Though I suppose I could've called it months ago, I've actually beaten more than 5 this year. I think I'm forgetting something, but the full list afaik is:

-Fire Emblem: Three Houses
-Code Vein
-Persona 5 Strikers
-Dark Souls
-Dark Souls 2
-Dark Souls 3
-Monster Hunter Rise
-Monster Hunter Stories 2
-Astral Chain
-BDSP (made it to the Hall of Fame last night)

which is more than 5 obviously, but eh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back