• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Concept: Unnamed ROM Hack Ideas

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Hi everyone! I made a post a couple months ago talking about how I'm planning on doing a difficulty hack of FR/E, and recently I've decided to pick the planning back up again ^-^

Here's an idea of what's in store so that you can get an idea of what I mean: Brock/Roxanne's Team!

If anyone wants to talk about it more, I made a discord server :D

https://discord.gg/cruzHU4KnV

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 12
Years
That's cool, but I kinda take issue with difficulty hacks as a concept. This is by no means an attack on you; go wild and have fun hacking! But as you make a difficulty hack, bear in mind the resources you'll make available to the player.

Pokémon games generally don't give much thought to the competitive side of things, until the postgame. That's when the player has access to all the possible TMs, training facilities, more money for vitamins/Power Items, etc.

So, taking your Roxanne/Brock team for an example: yes, it's a lot cooler than a few Geodudes and an Onix/Nosepass, but more importantly: how will the player be equipped to counter this team at this point in the game? Will they be able to selectively manage their EVs from the get-go, or will they be ruined by levelling up against Metapods/etc?

The team has some serious stall action going with some pretty solid movesets for that early in the game, too. Rock Slide/Heavy Slam/Dragon Tail by the first gym - no joke.

There's difficult, but then there's infeasible/tedious/impossible. Is the Player going to be taking on this gym with your average Squirtle/Mankey/Pidgey team, or will they have some more colourful options, like the gym leaders have? I just have visions of rocking up with a Squirtle with Tackle/Withdraw/Bubble/Water Gun, and then being smacked with a Dragon Tail. 😅 It just doesn't coalesce unless it goes both ways.

Back