They/Them
Czech Republic
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
4,885 posts
9.1 Years

The Lampent Challenge in Pokémon Sapphire

PART 2

I'm stupid. When I was browsing all possible Pokémon I could catch, I noticed Makuhita. That's the one Pokémon that could be helpful against Wattson. So I backtracked to the Granite Cave and while looking for Makuhita, I also caught Abra (level 10), because I can evolve it all the way to Alakazam before it hits the level wall. The Wikipedia article I rolled was about year 1990 in Danish television. Apparently, almost nothing happened in that year in Danish television. At least I now have 1990, the Abra. It takes me some time to find level 11 Makuhita, but I was lucky enough to catch it in my one and only Poké Ball. Yeah, I went on a catching spree with only 2 Poké Balls. I've used one on 1990 and second on Hammer2, the Makuhita. Hammer2 is fairly new UNIX filesystem.

Now, I leveled up Hammer2 all the way to level 20 and 1990 just a little bit to level 16, because I wanted to evolve it to Alakazam. I even taught Hammer2 Bulk Up to boosts his attack. And it was all for nothing. I did manage to get +6 in Hammer2's attack, but I also wasted almost 20 Super Potions doing so. All it took was one Shock Wave from Magneton to end this plan. At least Hammer2 beat Magnemite and Voltorb. I sent out Midnight to take on Magneton. Midnight was lucky enough not to trigger paralyzation, but it still took me some healing and crits to beat Magneton.

So, after this nightmare of a battle, Hammer2 hit his level limit and had to be put in the box. And only after one battle on Route 111, Anavitoria hit her level limit and I had to box her too. And the boxing didn't stop there. By the time I got to Route 113, my whole team except for Midnight hit their wall. So out of desperation, I caught first Spinda (level 16) I found. I rolled for nickname and end up on a page for Swedish writer and teacher Karin Ek. Karin is my favourite name and both writing and teaching are my hobbies, so I hope this Spinda will honor the name. I also caught Sandshrew (level 16), just to make sure I have something on me in case Karin hits level wall. One roll later and Sandshrew is named after May, an ancient Egyptian official of the New Kingdom who was in office under king Thutmosis III. Apparently, we know about him because of 2 statues of him were discovered.

I lost Midnight to level limit before I even got to Meteor Falls, so I decided to catch Lombre. Before I could even encounter one, I found this golden beauty:

I originally wanted to catch Swablu on Route 115, but I'm not passing one of Challenge's symbol. Funnily enough, I was just thinking that I haven't found a shiny Pokémon in a while. I named him Moore after Colin Moore, a Guyanese Olympic boxer.

And right after Moore, I finally encountered level 18 Lombre. I named her Brondeli, after Sthenoprocris brondeli, a moth from Madagascar.

Also Karin fainted once, which makes her level limit goes down by 1. But in the end, it didn't even matter. I made my way to Archie and fought him completely unprepared. May beat his Mightyena with poison and bunch of Super Potions, Golbat with few Slashes, but then Sharpedo comes in and beat May and Karin with critical Crunches. I sent out Brondeli and hoped for the best. Brondeli survived with 1 HP and was able to deliver the final blow.

But now, Karin hit her level limit and May and Moore are 1 level from it. So I had to catch new Pokémon on Jagged Pass. I caught Numel (level 22) and Machop (level 22). Numel was named Electron after a suburb of Johannesburg in South Africa. And Machop was named after this guy:

A politician named Đuro Basariček. Basaricek, what a fitting name for a Machop.

I got all the way to Lavaridge Gym. And right away, May hit level wall. Which wasn't that big of a deal, since May had really a poor moveset anyway and I didn't want to invest much into it. But I had one less Pokémon to face Flannery with. I started with Electron and easily beat both Slugma, even with low rolls on Magnitude. These were problem when Torkoal entered the fight. Electron was low on HP and kept getting low Magnitudes, so I panicked and sent out Moore, who fainted instantly. This meant Moore hit his level wall. Another bad decision later, and Basaricek's level limit was also lowered. But it was enough for Electron to return to full health and beat Torkoal.

I quickly got to next Gym. While clearing all trainers in there, Basaricek evolved in Machoke. One trade later and he's now Machamp. Because of that, Norman fight was easy. With that done, I made my way to Mauville, where I plan on catching some Electric-type next time.

Team

Basaricek, Hardy Female Machamp
lvl 30, Guts
- Karate Chop
- Focus Energy
- Foresight
- Seismic Toss

Brondeli, Docile Female Lombre
lvl 24, Rain Dish
- Surf
- Fake Out
- Absorb
- Nature Power

Electron, Calm Female Numel
lvl 28, Oblivious @Rawst Berry
- Magnitude
- Tackle
- Ember
- Focus Energy

Eleanor

Happy Birthday Avril! 🌼

Age 22
she/her
Italy
Online now
Posted 21 Hours Ago
5,477 posts
5.9 Years
I lost Midnight to level limit before I even got to Meteor Falls, so I decided to catch Lombre. Before I could even encounter one, I found this golden beauty:
omg it's sydian's blessing!! Congrats on that shiny!

I... wanted to complete this challenge sometime before Valentine's day but I haven't done that much progress. I've mostly been clearing through Chargestone Cave and now I still have to deal with Route 7 but... we'll get there~ I'm just kinda swamped with exams at the moment, let's hope this ends soon...

Paired with Ninetales and Vulpix 🌸 Moderator of Challenges, Roleplay Theatre and Roleplay Stage
Profile picture provided by Juno!

Eleanor

Happy Birthday Avril! 🌼

Age 22
she/her
Italy
Online now
Posted 21 Hours Ago
5,477 posts
5.9 Years
Eleanor's Unova Adventure, log #4

Phew, going through Chargestone cave and then most of Route 7 / Celestial tower took a while and lots of fighting. The levels of my team were also getting on the low side, and Whirlipede was still a Whirlipede for most of the time, which didn't quite help. I eventually got through thanks to brute force (Darumaka, for being a first stage, hits just way too hard) and some type advantages (Gurdurr mostly), then finally caught a Zebstrika on Route 7 and... that really made the rest of this segment easier. Well yeah, Scolipede also evolved, but I could only use it for one level before boxing it, so that's not optimal. Zebstrika on the other hand single-handedly took down the entire Mistralton gym, which should hopefully give me access to Surf, Twist Mountain, and many more interesting Pokémon!

Really there's not much to say: three hits is all it took! There's no Gligar in this generation so... yeah ^^; sorry Janp!

Team vs Skyla: Liepard, lv. 25→30, Gurdurr, lv. 26→31, Watchog, lv. 32→32, Sawsbuck, lv. 28 →34, Sigilyph, lv. 20→28, Zebstrika, lv. 33→37

In the box: Audino, lv. 21→28 (listing just this Pokémon because it's the only one I plan on getting some use out of in the future, via Surf! I'll probs update a better list of everyone I've used in the final post!)

Paired with Ninetales and Vulpix 🌸 Moderator of Challenges, Roleplay Theatre and Roleplay Stage

Eleanor

Happy Birthday Avril! 🌼

Age 22
she/her
Italy
Online now
Posted 21 Hours Ago
5,477 posts
5.9 Years
Eleanor's Unova Adventure, log #5

Two new badges today! This has been quite the long segment, with lots of fights and lots of new Pokémon, but it was still manageable.
It all started with a quick trek to Route 18, where I realized way too far into it that I was on a Pokéball shortage! I nearly ragequit, but eventually luck turned on my side, and so I caught two new Pokémon: Scraggy and Crustle. I made it through Twist Mountain, not without stress, with Gurdurr and Scraggy helping out, as well as my newly evolved Sawsbuck getting a few levels, and once I arrived near Icirrus City, I got myself a Palpitoad! With not much else to do, I trained up just enough to let Scraggy evolve into Scrafty and let her plow through Brycen's team, despite her Calm nature.

Team vs Brycen: Scrafty, lv. 34→39, Palpitoad, lv. 33→35, Ducklett (Fly Pokémon), lv. 22→25, Sawsbuck, lv. 28 →36, Crustle, lv. 34→35, Zebstrika, lv. 33→38

The new areas that open up let me catch a Tranquill (finally I get to use the regional bird and mascot of the challenge, uh?), and then - this time in the Relic Castle, where there's more Team Plasma stuff - a Cohagrigus and a Krokorok, which should come in useful against Iris. Eventually, after getting the... Zekrom Stone, beating Bianca with the help of Scrafty, and reaching Opelucid City, I grab myself a fake item Amoonguss on Route 10, then deal with Iris.

Unlike the previous two gyms, this one was hard and a lot of revives were used. But Unfezant was surprisingly useful with Super Luck + Scope Lens (and some decent defenses), as well as Scrafty and my newly evolved Krookodile (both with Moxie). I brought in Amoonguss with Toxic and Cohagrigus with Will-o-wisp because Dragon Dance can be very scary, but as it turns out, Krookodile just Moxie-swept Iris... :senpai:

Team vs Iris: Krookodile, lv. 36→41, Unfezant, lv. 36→41, Crustle, lv. 34→38, Scrafty, lv. 34 →41, Amoonguss, lv. 40→40, Cohagrigus, lv. 37→40

Janp

Age 25
They/Them
Czech Republic
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
4,885 posts
9.1 Years

The Lampent Challenge in Pokémon Sapphire

FINAL UPDATE

Calm down, I can explain why I wasn't updating my run. And I can do it using a single image, because a picture is worth a thousand words:

Yeah, I decided to trigger Mirage Island to get Pokémon with the highest possible level - level 50 Wynaut. It took me some time, but I still managed to do so while also following all the rules. I caught up some Pokémon I didn't catch before and swapped them until Mirage Island appeared.

But let's take this from the beginning. Or from when I left off last time. Which was around the time I was about to catch 2 Electric-type Pokémon for my team. Zool, the Voltorb, named after the main character of Zool: Ninja of the Nth Dimension - a platformer for the Amiga and Seralago, the Magnemite, named after some hotel or something. I have no idea why it has a wikipedia page.

I'll be completely honest. Most of the run happened in February, so I might not recall all the details, but I remember Winona's Altaria beat both Seralago and Zool and I had to cheese my way through using Brondeli's Fake Out and switching to Electron to tank few hits. Oh and I caught Castform on my way to Fortree.

Not much happened after that. My team didn't change at all until I had to box both Seralago and Zool, since they helped me with beating Team Aqua a lot. Only new teammembers were Mirik, the Sharpedo, named after Mirik Lake and Gold, the Spheal, named after a horror novel from Vampire Chronicles series. Can't say if it's any good, because I've never read it. But evolved Gold helped me against Tate and Liza. They had no chance against my new Water duo.

Now, my team haven't changed until Victory Road. Yeah, I still had level 26 Brondeli on my team at this point. So, let's skip all the way to Mirage Island. I came up with this idea about the time I got to Wallace. I was searching for Pokémon with the highest level to use it and realized it's Wynaut. I decided to go with it and after about 2 months, I really found Mirage Island and level 50 Wynaut.

Sadly, I couldn't solo E4 with it, because Dark-type moves are considered special and Mirror Coat doesn't work on Dark-type Pokémon. And I think there was also problem with Phoebe's Pokémon. So I had to get more Pokémon. To beat Phoebe and Sidney. I caught Jens, the Medicham, named after Jens Klok, a Danish architect, Rollo, the Crobat, named after Rollo & King, a Danish band and Nishimura, the Exploud, named after Japanese football player. They all helped Noen, the Wobbuffet to beat E4. What is Noen? Who knows. Not Jensen Noen for sure.

Anyway, Elite Four was pretty straightforward. I got rid of Sidney and Phoebe using Jens, Rollo and Nishimura and then swept the rest of E4 and Steven with Noen. It wasn't really that hard, but I had to keep a table with what types are special and which ones are physical in Gen III, because I can't remember it.

Here's Hall of Fame:

Overall, it was a fun challenge. Especially keeping underleveled Pokémon on my team for majority of lategame made the whole thing a lot more challenging than usual. I didn't want to catch new Pokémon because I wasn't sure if I'll need them later in the game. I also spend lot of time researching and paying attention to what is max level Pokémon can appear on a Route and if I should catch it early or wait to catch it later. And I also swapped my Pokémon more often, trying to distribute EXP in somewhat balanced way and not just sweep half the game with one Pokémon. I had fun and will probably return to it later.

Team

Noen, Quiet Male Wobbuffet
lvl 54, Shadow Tag
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard
- Destiny Bond

Jens, Mild Male Medicham
lvl 51, Pure Power
- Hi Jump Kick
- Calm Mind
- Mind Reader
- Psych Up

Rollo, Timid Male Crobat
lvl 50, Inner Focus
- Wing Attack
- Confuse Ray
- Poison Fang
- Mean Look

Nishimura, Carful Male Exploud
lvl 46, Soundproof
- Stomp
- Supersonic
- Howl
- Screech

Phoenix_Left

They/Them
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 6 Days Ago
3 posts
1 Years
🕯️ Forum name: Mire
🕯️ Game of choice: Ultra Moon
🕯️ Difficulty: Normal
🕯️ Optional Rules: Will be playing on Set mode, and otherwise I'll try to limit X-items and the like but won't keep that as a hard rule.

I've been looking for an excuse to finally finish this game - I made it to early Ula'ula and never continued from there. Moon is my favorite Pokémon game, though, so I'm really excited to give this another shot!

This'll be my first challenge run I've posted here and the first one I've done that wasn't a straight Nuzlocke/Monotype; hopefully it'll be a good way to get involved a little. From what I recall, UM is also a really tough game compared to other Pokémon games, so this should be interesting. Let's give it a shot : )

Phoenix_Left

They/Them
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 6 Days Ago
3 posts
1 Years
Your first night in your new bed is filled with dreams of the Unova region you left. The rumbling of plane engines over the city you called home, the scurrying of Emolga about the trees before they take flight into the wind, the light-hearted teasing of friends daring eachother to take one more step towards the ominous tower. All of it a terrible contradiction of sights from just days ago and memories of a faraway land, their outlines blurring just a little bit as far off dreams often do.

The one constant that binds these dreams together is not the nostalgia of home, however. It's the chilling sense of being watched. You know something's there - there's a particular pinprick in your back that could only be gouged by wandering eyes, and yet the source is always waiting just in the corners of your eyes. There is no escaping it.

And then your eyes are open again. You lurch forwards at the feeling, but your breathing steadies when you notice your bed filled with a tiny Meowth.

"Jeez, you scared me!" Meowth seems unconcerned and snuggles further into the blankets, its eye contact never wavering. "That must have just been you this whole time, huh?"

Yes, this has just been an unfortunate concoction of nerves and a mischievous Meowth. You can't keep doing this, making up problems when nothing's really there.

Everything is fine.

You puff out your chest and don your new hat, hoping to feel at least a little bit like you can take on the world. Meowth licks her paws, which is close enough to silent approval. Things will be better, you're sure of it. That's your mantra as you march out the door for the first time.

Your lamp sways in the corner, unnoticed.

🕯️ An Ultra Moon Lampent Challenge 🕯️
Part 1

(This isn't gonna be a hardcore story run or anything, I just thought it might be fun to put something brief here for atmosphere and whatnot)

It's time to start this run in earnest! Alola's easily my favorite region, so it'll be fun to see this new spin on it. A few cutscenes after starting up the game, and I'm knee-deep in some tall grass with Lisa the Popplio. I usually go with Rowlet in Alola, but I just couldn't bear to throw one away without even letting it evolve, and I end up ditching Lisa for some higher level encounters soon enough anyways. For the most part, the early game is pretty inconsequential. Here's some things of note about doing this challenge in Ultra Moon in particular.

- There's soooo much variety in encounters. The first segment of Route 1 is pretty bland, but almost every other area has a lot to offer.
- In addition, the wild encounters are usually at a pretty decent level. Route 2 already had things up to level 10, and the totem Raticate that comes after that route is only a few levels higher. That should help mitigate the grind whenever I inevitably have to toss teammates to the wayside. In addition...
- Exp Share! In gen 8 it's always on, and in gen 6 the difficulty level is low enough that you can afford to turn it off whenever you feel like, but gen 7 hits a sweet spot of making me ask whether it's worthwhile to leave the Exp Share on when it means I'll likely have to get rid of teammates sooner. I expect to mostly keep it enabled, but it's an interesting choice to make.

I end up nabbing Turnip the Inkay by the professor's lab and Elton the Magnemite at the trainer's school, both at level 7. Hau'oli City has Furfrou in its grass patches that seem like they could tear apart a lot of the early game - I pick up Maurice the Furfrou at level 8 and give it a Heart-shave at the barber shop (I've never actually had a Furfrou to shave before, so I guess that means the challenge is working!)

I try some unorthodox options in Route 2. Drowzee is a Psychic type that learns the Brick Break TM that comes just before the trial, meaning it should in theory do well against Totem Raticate and Hala. There's also Ekans here, which has access to a bevy of support options in Intimidate, Glare, and Leer that eventually becomes Screech. With this in mind, I grab Tappa the Drowzee at level 8 and Snoop the Ekans at level 10, as well as Chara the level 10 Murkrow from the cemetery nearby.

The first major battle is the aforementioned Totem Raticate. Snoop really surprised me here - its Intimidate and Leer spam with Glare really came in handy. It even got in some residual damage with Wrap. Even with Raticate at -1 defense, though, Tappa didn't really come close to OHKOing with a 4x Brick Break, which gave me some worries. It didn't matter in the end, since Maurice had just learned Headbutt and finished the job, getting me my very first Z-crystal on my island trial.

From here there's a bit to explore before fighting Hala. I had a fun idea in mind when I caught a Spearow - I could level it to level 20 and then trade it away to an NPC for a Hawlucha of the same level to tear up much of Akala island. In earlier gens, the in-game trade Pokémon would be the same level as whatever you traded them, but that seems to have changed at some point since this Hawlucha always comes at level 9. I decided Spearow wouldn't be worth dragging around, and instead picked up...

...a Delibird?!?

Seaward Cave does have Delibird as an encounter, and looking closer it actually has a lot going for it. There are move tutors available at the Mantine Surf areas as soon as you leave Melemele island, and at this point Delibird's stats are fine. The real winner is its ability Hustle, though, which sacrifices accuracy for power. This would be a pain, but Z-moves never miss, and the Flyinium-Z crystal comes really soon, so in an ideal world Delibird could actually wreck shop for a little while. Unfortunately, this isn't an ideal world, and the Lampent following me was a real thorn in Delibird's side. It can't learn the Bounce move tutor like I thought it could, and the Aerial Ace TM doesn't come until late Akala island. It learns Drill Peck at level 25, but that's just a few levels too late for Delibird to stick around with it. Sorry little guy, I thought you could have some spotlight this time.

Once the Hala battle comes around, my only team change is swapping out Turnip for Santos the Delibird, who immediately faints in battle and never fights again. Tappa does okay in this fight with Confusion, but it still only gets through his Machop after we somehow trade 4 crits in a row. Snoop does really well once again. Intimidate helps Chara live Crabrawler's All-Out Pummeling with 1 HP left, and Snoop soloes his remaining Makuhita by spamming Wrap.

At this point I unlock Tauros to ride and Melemele island is free for me to fully explore. On the flipside, most of my team is pushing close to their level boundaries, so most of them will have to cycle out soon. Maurice is the first to go, and swaps out for Flutter the Metapod-almost-Butterfree. While jamming to the Ten Carat Hill music, I catch Lucio the Mawile and Wyst the Sableye to take the place of Elton and Santos. After a bit more backtracking, I end things off on Tutorial Island by going Mantine surfing, which is such a great addition for the Ultra games. Looking at my score, I think I did pretty well for myself.

Arriving at Akala island on the back of a Mantine, my team is

Lucio the Mawile - Level 16
Flutter the Butterfree - Level 14
Tappa the Drowzee - Level 17
Snoop the Ekans - Level 17
Wyst the Sableye - Level 14
Chara the Murkrow - Level 19

And that's it for this update! In all I've been really enjoying this challenge. Just at a glance you can tell I've used some unorthodox picks that I wouldn't give much thought to otherwise. Again, Snoop really surprised me with how useful its support options were, and though Tappa was pretty disappointing, it was still fun to theorycraft what would be useful when, which I'm sure will become more important as the game picks up. Until then ~ ~ ~

Phoenix_Left

They/Them
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 6 Days Ago
3 posts
1 Years
🕯️ An Ultra Moon Lampent Challenge 🕯️
Part 2

We've finally finished the tutorial island, so Akala Island is our Cloyster now! Well, sort of. Only about half of Heahea City is available right now, but there's still a lot to do. Case in point:

Jokes aside, the first non-story related thing I did is hunt for Totem Stickers. I haven't mentioned these yet, but there are 100 stickers spread out throughout Alola, and every 20 found will get me a special Totem Pokémon to use. I haven't been using a guide for these or anything, but I've generally gone out of my way to look for these and other optional things, and here is where I finally hit 20. This is part of why I never caught a Ratata on Melemele Island - the Totem Raticate I get here should be stronger. I believe it gets 3 perfect IVs and it also comes at level 20, which is perfect for where I'm at now. It's also really big. Say hello to Nubbs the Raticate.

Onward to Route 4 and Paniola Ranch, where I pick up a Mareep (which is a good enough name that I didn't nickname it) and Sophie the Miltank. These are level 14 and 15, so Mareep is just about to evolve, but these levels are pretty low compared to what I dropped on arrival here. At this point Lampent has siphoned away my whole starting team, and wild levels haven't quite grown to adapt. I got really excited when Wyst, my Sableye, stole a Leftovers from a trainer, but then I remembered that you don't get to keep items from trainers : (

Hau and Gladion are super easy fights at this point anyways, so I push onward. Totem Araquanid is coming up, and I've noticed that there aren't too many wild encounters around that are all that great against it. Flaaffy at least gets a super effective Thundershock but doesn't resist any of Araquanid's attacks. In fact, I don't have any resists to Araquanid's Bubble at all. It is just Bubble, but rain + Water Bubble + STAB makes even Bubble hit hard. As I approach Brooklet Hill for the trial, here's how my team looks.

Sophie the Miltank - Level 19 - Quick Claw
Wyst the Sableye - Level 22
Flaaffy the... Flaaffy - Level 21 - Magnet
Flutter the Butterfree - Level 21 - Flyinium-Z
Lucio the Mawile - Level 22
Nubbs the Raticate - Level 22

My game plan is to lead with Flaaffy to set up Thunder Wave and Light Screen, then let Lucio use Intimidate and Confide, and at last send in Sophie to go for the kill with the Defense Curl + Rollout combo it just got at 19. Things immediately divert from the plan though when I accidentally lead with Sophie, though... I swap out to Wyst, figuring it was the mon I was most willing to sack off to Araquanid. Wyst actually did manage to Thief a Wacan Berry from Araquanid, though, which let Flaaffy get a good hit in when it finally came in and finished its setup. Thanks to a few lucky full paralysis turns, Sophie was able to obliterate Araquanid after a couple Rollouts, securing me a win. This could've been much trickier if I hadn't gotten so lucky with paralysis, but I also didn't even need to bring in Lucio, so ultimately this went great.

At this point Lampent is almost finished with Wyst and Lucio, but with Lapras and the fishing rod we have lots of options for replacements. I start off with some fishing on Brooklet Hill, where this happens.

I've never used a Milotic in-game, mostly due to its horrid capture methods in gens 3 and 4, but this should be a great chance for us. The Prism Scale used to evolve it is actually available right now, albeit with a lot of Lapras backtracking in Melemele. I was planning to do this anyways, so I'm all for this. Welcome to the team, Mona.

Before setting off, I make a brief detour to Wela Volcano Park where I abuse SOS mechanics to catch Marley the Magmar: mostly for a side quest but it should be a fun team member too, even if I am too lazy to Thief hunt for a Magmarizer to evolve it. Diglett Tunnel is also accessible at this point, albeit mostly blocked off, so I catch Greg the Diglett at an awesome level 23.

Most of my Lapras backtracking is pretty uneventful, mostly just a couple nice items or okay TMs, but the big winner is Seaward Cave and the Kala'e bay that it pours into. In addition to a Prism Scale, I get a TM for Frost Breath, a Nevermelt Ice, and Arnold the Shellder at a cool level 21. I might even be able to get a Water Stone before I lose it, but these aren't easily renewable so I'll have to decide whether it's worthwhile. Also:

It seems emulator compatibility with gen 7 games is pretty shoddy, to say the least. I don't have access to my 3DS at the moment, though, and fast forward is a godsend in a game with as many unskippable cutscenes as this. Freezes and graphical glitches happen somewhat often - as a PSA, the best way I've found to fix them is to make save state, close the emulator, load that state, and then save in-game ASAP. Reloading this save usually fixes things for a while.

With all that out of the way, I'm finally ready to ascend Wela Volcano and fight Totem Marowak. Here's my team at this point:

Marley the Magmar - Level 21
Nubbs the Raticate - Level 25
Arnold the Shellder - Level 21 - Nevermelt Ice
Mona the Milotic - Level 21 - Waterium Z
Greg the Diglett - Level 24 - Soft Sand
Sophie the Miltank - Level 24 - Quick Claw

On paper this should be way easier than Araquanid, since I actually have strong resists and super-effective hits. I lead with Marley so that I can attempt to steal its Thick Club with Thief and then Clear Smog away its speed boost. Marowak starts with a cheeky Detect to stall for time until it can bring in its partner Salazzle. Thankfully, Marley just manages to live through that onslaught to steal the Thick Club, though it dies before Clear Smog. That's okay - this should be easy now. I bring in Mona to Hydro Vortex Marowak into oblivion... and it blocks it perfectly with Detect!!! Fortunately, Mona is super tanky and neither Marowak nor Salazzle can do much to it, so I just spam Water Pulse until they faint. Despite the minor hiccups, this was definitely the easiest Totem so far. With how much water stuff is available between Brooklet Hill and this, it'd be hard not to have a good counter to Marowak.

This post is already pretty long, so I think I'll be saving the next trial for next time. I'm still having a blast with this, especially since it gives me a shot at using Milotic. Til next time ~ ~ ~