• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It's new so I gotta use it or have it

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
So there are some people who when something new comes out whether it be a new phone, new computer or just a new form of communication that just HAVE to HAVE it! And then there's most of us who look at it as meh I'll get it.....eventually.....maybe.

I always felt like I was sorta up to date when it came to things like this but I'm never one to run out and try the newest thing. I have to sit back and wait a bit before thinking about getting it.

Years
when that apple fanboy has to have that new iphone the day before its even announced by tim cook himself

Years
I don't mind skipping a few generations when it comes to stuff like phone OSes or what. Smartphones these days already do everything I need them to and then some. So long as it doesn't lag & can hold a stable internet speed, I'll keep using it for as long as I can.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
I'm still using my Sony Ericsson from way back when. I tried to upgrade to an Xperia (2014) but turns out my SIM card is too old. xD
I'll upgrade eventually; probably with something more up to date.

I don't mind sticking with old tech if it still works. But usually, if I need something new, I try to get the newest available.

Years
I don't mind sticking with old tech if it still works. But usually, if I need something new, I try to get the newest available.
some carriers are actually kicking old phones off their network so they can shut down their older networks i.e. 3g in favor of 5g and existing 4g/lte

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
some carriers are actually kicking old phones off their network so they can shut down their older networks i.e. 3g in favor of 5g and existing 4g/lte
Yeah, last year I got a message from mine saying exactly that. However, they also said that messaging and calls would still continue to work for the time being. That's all I need, really.

Though, 5g is still a far away dream. You wouldn't believe how prehistoric Germany still is in terms of anything network/internet related. xD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Yeah my provider forced me to get a new phone:/ Now, it's not like I loved my old phone, but my new one has a dreadful menu layout and controls. I can't scroll up on my contacts list (like the one way button on BDSP Poketch, very annoying when I need to call my "V" and "Y" contacts), I can't figure out how to activate the speaker phone without disconnecting the call, and whenever I try to change my alarm time, it defaults to the CURRENT TIME, like why the hell would I set an alarm to go off right this very second?

With that said, I'm perfectly fine with not being up to date. I had to pull teeth to get a phone that wasn't of the smart variety during the forced "upgrade", I'm still using a Windows 7 computer, I still have a VCR and no fewer than four devices that play audio cassette tapes. If my old CRT television hadn't died, I'd probably still be using that as well.

My obsession with keeping up with the latest tech probably ended around 1998 or so, and now I'm perfectly fine with sticking with tech from around that time.

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
Years
I am terrible for this. It's not that I HAVE to have it, I just like the look of most new things. I've been dying to buy a PS5 but they aren't available anywhere in Australia at the minute, and I just got one of the new Samsung Fold phones. My brain likes to go "shiny, new, better!" even though I generally do know better :C

justletmedownloadthings

i once got a set of "pukey-mon" cards at the age o
Years
i have an awful habit of holding onto old things in order to get all the use i possibly can out of them. when i got my new phone, i kept using my old one for a few months until i broke the glass on the screen and decided that i would rather start using my new phone than continue using the old one and turn my hands into handburgers in the process. otherwise i like to shove old tech in a drawer so i can unearth it later and then see what i can do with it and perhaps look up what niche, interesting uses i can use for it.
then again i'm a big dweeb

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
No way, I'm like, the total opposite. I've got "too good to use" syndrome. If I get a replacement for any kind of tech, I'll get it not long after my current device is on its last legs, and then I'll just keep using the old one for as long as I can. Phones, tablets, consoles, computers, hell even charging cables fall in this category. Makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth, ya know?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
No way, I'm like, the total opposite. I've got "too good to use" syndrome. If I get a replacement for any kind of tech, I'll get it not long after my current device is on its last legs, and then I'll just keep using the old one for as long as I can. Phones, tablets, consoles, computers, hell even charging cables fall in this category. Makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth, ya know?

Very much this (except for upgrading from iPhone 5c to 6s when the former probably could have been better repaired). I think I've probably spent about £500 fixing my 10-year old Macbook Air because other than running Football Manager faster (its own issue given how addictive that is) I have no use for a new one. I have all 3 iPhones I've ever owned, opening up my drawers to find out that the 5c now won't work, and can't be fixed unless I update to a new MacOS version (with no iTunes, that won't let me play my old FMs) was a tragedy I'm still not over.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I try to make my technology last. For instance, my laptop is 6 years old, and I recently swapped the HDD out for an SSD and I'm hoping I can get another two or three years out of it before I'm forced to update it. My phones haven't been as good though, I usually get one every two years for one reason or another. That being said, my OnePlus is lasting me very well so I'll probably be able to keep it into a third year, and probably a fourth at this rate. I did just shovel out almost $1100 in financing to get a new Tab S8+ though, but with Samsung supporting that thing for quite a while I think that tablet will last me quite a while. At this point the only other thing that'd need an update is my desktop, but if I swap the motherboard and processor I can stretch its lifespan by a considerable amount rather than getting a completely new device.

Years
futureproofing is a big thing for me. if i'm going to get a new piece of technology, i want to last years, way past the investment i put into it. getting the newest and greatest is tempting, but if my current tech is in no real danger of failing then there's really no point

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I really don't care to have the latest tech. I'm fine with using a phone or computer until it breaks or is unusable before upgrading. I just don't feel like getting the new stuff when I already can't afford it, anyway.

Years
I don't care either. I prefer buying a durable device, maybe even spending much on it, but checking all the technical characteristics. If it has good things, then I think it's durable because I am a person that tends to be quite careful with things, so I often keep them in a good state. Sometimes this allows me to sell them when I want to buy something new. In general, if it's kinda powerful and has good storage, I'll use it for a long time. I don't really care about the new tech.
I mean, I am probably fascinated by new ideas, but in the end I always gotta reality check to see if it's worth it. For example, foldable phones. I don't really trust them for their durability. Also, sometimes new tech seems just to be a new camera lol

Back