• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2017
3ds xl battery life

just got a new xl, just thought id ask if the battery life would decrease by using the console while its charging? i know that the battery life will decrease anyway through time, just want to know if using the console while charging will accelerate that decrease of battery life.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
just got a new xl, just thought id ask if the battery life would decrease by using the console while its charging? i know that the battery life will decrease anyway through time, just want to know if using the console while charging will accelerate that decrease of battery life.

I would recommend against using it while charging as not only will it slow charging but I think the battery life decreases as well. I used to use my old phone while it was charging and not only did the charge not last as last as long but I think the battery broke because of this (or maybe it was just a low quality battery).

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
Catching them all: Gen 1 - Gen 6

Hello everyone,

I have recently been bitten by the Pokemon bug and really started to get into this. I think the easiest way the majority of Pokemon players relate is through some form of an addictive personality trait.

I just bought an 3DS XL and Pokemon X/Y. I started to complete the Pokedex and started reading online and noticed there are a lot of Pokemon you can't obtain in those versions of the game.

I then read that trading is very dangerous as you are more likely to get a Clone / Hacked / Duped version of a Pokemon than the real version.

I am a purist and want to complete the entire Pokedex, Gen 1 through Gen 6. As there is a barrage of information on the internet, I find a lot of misinformation. This is why I am posting here on these forums, to try and get clarification.

I just bought a Gameboy Advance SP AGS 101 and the first version, Pokemon Red DMG-APAE-USA. I mainly got it for myself as a blast from the past experience.

So here are my questions:

1.) Is it possible to legally transfer Pokemon from Generation 1 games to the Pokebank? If so, what hardware do I need or which steps to follow in order to accomplish this?
2.) Which games do you need in order to get EVERY Pokemon? "I understand some event Pokemon cannot be obtained".

Thank you all for any help and feedback!

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I can already answer that you cannot transfer Pokémon from Generations 1 and 2 to the Pokébank at all. They were cut off completely from the current ecosystem because the Gameboy games and the GBA games could not communicate in any way, shape or form.

In my experience, you'll need pretty much every game (except maybe for third versions and one of B2/W2, you'll need the other to at least get a Zorua) to complete your Pokédex.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
I can already answer that you cannot transfer Pokémon from Generations 1 and 2 to the Pokébank at all. They were cut off completely from the current ecosystem because the Gameboy games and the GBA games could not communicate in any way, shape or form.

In my experience, you'll need pretty much every game (except maybe for third versions and one of B2/W2, you'll need the other to at least get a Zorua) to complete your Pokédex.

So the answer to being able to get all Pokemon and be able to save them is:
Get the following games:

Gen 3
{
Ruby
Sapphire
Fire Red
Leaf Green
Emerald
}

Gen 4
{
Diamond
Pearl
Platinum
Heart Gold
Soul Silver
}

Gen 5
{
Black
White
Black 2
White 2
}

Gen 6
{
X
Y
Omega Ruby "Not released yet"
Alpha Sapphire "Not released yet"
}

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
No, I was saying that you could get all games from Gen 3 except for Emerald, all games from Gen 4 except for Platinum and all games from Gen 5 except for either B2 or W2, and it could be enough, assuming you're willing to do the old method of "get starter - trade - restart game" to obtain all three starters of each generation.

There's another way you could do things (that I just remembered a few minutes ago) : HG/SS and Platinum were released with a few additions to the roster compared to G/S and D/P that made it possible to complete the National Pokédex using the DS games alone (including Platinum) , except for the Regis which you can capture in B2/W2 (with Regirock appearing in both and the two others being version exclusive) . The problem here is that you won't be able to easily get all the Kanto and Hoenn starters, and will have to restart either HG or SS, as in those games, you can get one Kanto starter and one Hoenn starter at the very end of the postgame. It might not be a huge problem for Kanto starters, but for the Hoenn starters it sure is if you're not willing to wait for OR/AS to start your quest for Pokédex completion.

So there you go, you have a choice between the two possibilities:

• A 3DS and a DS or DS Lite
  • Gen 3 games: Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen (I'm starting to doubt you'll even need FireRed or LeafGreen)
  • Gen 4 games: Diamond, Pearl, HeartGold, SoulSilver
  • Gen 5 games: Black, White and either Black 2 or White 2
  • Gen 6 games: X, Y

• A 3DS and any other console of the (3)DS family
  • Gen 4 games: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver
  • Gen 5 games: Black, White, Black 2, White 2
  • Gen 6 games: X, Y. OR or AS recommended for getting the remaining Hoenn starter.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
Thank you for the Prompt response.

I do not understand some of the abbreviations you are using such as OR/AS.

I am also fine with doing the starter trick, and have done that for White 2, and Pokemon Y "I didnt do it for X because I didn't want to start over just yet.".

So the really cool thing is I can play ALL of these games, gen 4 and Up all on my 3DS XL.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Thank you for the Prompt response.

I do not understand some of the abbreviations you are using such as OR/AS.

I am also fine with doing the starter trick, and have done that for White 2, and Pokemon Y "I didnt do it for X because I didn't want to start over just yet.".

So the really cool thing is I can play ALL of these games, gen 4 and Up all on my 3DS XL.

ORAS stands for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, the two generation 3 remakes that are coming out this fall! Since these two are being released soon, I doubt that you will have to go back as far as generation 3 to get all the starters.

I suggest that if you really want to catch a majority of them yourself, you should get Platinum (it is the "improved" version of Diamond and Pearl and has more available Pokemon), HeartGold or SoulSilver, and one of the games set in Unova (Black, White, Black 2, White 2), X or Y. I admit, I'm not sure if that is the minimum amount of games needed, however, it will definitely get you all the Pokemon. Between two games, there are very little differences within the Pokemon found so if you don't want to spend money / time on both games I suggest checking out our Trade Corner. Don't worry, all the Pokemon traded there are non-hacked.

You also don't need anything on the Gameboy because all of the Pokemon found in Kanto and Hoenn (including the starters) can be found in later games or traded in our forum. :] Hope this helps a little!

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 23, 2016
Thank you for the reply. I ordered the Gameboy mainly for a Blast from the past experience. My 4 year old son will also get a kick out of it, and its less expensive than an iPad. I also wont want to kill him if he breaks the Gameboy compared to the iPad :)

When I have some extra time I will pull up the National Pokedex and double check each Pokemon available and compile the list from the Generations. There are sites that do this, but inaccurately.

Years
Thank you for the reply. I ordered the Gameboy mainly for a Blast from the past experience. My 4 year old son will also get a kick out of it, and its less expensive than an iPad. I also wont want to kill him if he breaks the Gameboy compared to the iPad :)

When I have some extra time I will pull up the National Pokedex and double check each Pokemon available and compile the list from the Generations. There are sites that do this, but inaccurately.

Kudos to you for giving your son Gameboy instead of iPad!

For everything you need, I advise using Bulbapedia. It's rather accurate and usually up to date. People say Serebii is a bit better, but I've been using Bulbapedia cos it's more user-friendly and has a better design, read: it's easier to use.
Also for the complete pokedex simply google "List of Pokémon by National Pokédex number - Bulbapedia".

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
best games to own

hi im looking to complete my pokedex in y, without the GTS if possible cause some trades are just silly.

i currently own, diamond, peral, soulsilver, black 2, white 2, x and y

what other games would i need to finish the pokedex in y with trading through versions?

Years
You'll probably need Fire Red/ Leaf Green ,Emerald, Platinum, Heart Gold. After that you need to transfer all the Pokemon to Black 2/ White 2 (this will take an age seeing as you can only transfer 6 at a time). Then use the Pokemon bank (which you will have to purchase if you haven't already) to transfer the Pokemon to your copy of Y.Also i'm certain you'll have to use the GTS or trade through versions as some Kalos Pokemon are only available in X.

In all honestly buying most of the games and then transferring the Pokemon over is not the most efficient way of completing the Pokedex. Also buying all the games will cost a considerable amount of money and you have to complete them all to obtain all the Pokemon.
Using the GTS and wonder trade take a lot less time and effort and obviously you avoid the fee of Pokemon bank, but it's up to you.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
GTS and Wonder Trade would indeed be the best path to choose when it comes to completing PokéDex. If you like, you're also free to set up trades in our Trade Corner section two - three forums above!

Also, since this is a question, I'm merging it with Q&A thread, if you don't mind.

Merged.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 17, 2014
Is that a new way to get a Bad EGG in pokémon emerald?!

Back. I was playing pokemon emerald in my phone using a rare candy cheat. I go in a Pokémon Center at mauville and after heal myself the joy say something like "The PokéRUS indetified a strange virus in your pokémon" and when i see, my Brellom was turned a bad egg! Before something bad happens, i put the bad egg in the PC. The most strange of all this, is what the only problem what the bad egg do is kill my brellom! It don't kill my game, save or anything bad, only kill my brellom!
Discuss this there. If you know anything about that what happen, say me!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 3, 2017
Your best bet for getting this question answered would be to head over to the website Glitch City Labs and posting about it on their forum.

If you don't care too much about how this happened and want to just get rid of your Bad Egg, you can use this video to do it. Bad Eggs spread when moved if I recall.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this question would go in a different thread or not, but does anyone know how often I need to pay for Pokemon Bank? I read that it's an annual fee, but does that mean I pay the fee for the first time right after I get it, or at the end of the year?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I'm not sure if this question would go in a different thread or not, but does anyone know how often I need to pay for Pokemon Bank? I read that it's an annual fee, but does that mean I pay the fee for the first time right after I get it, or at the end of the year?
You have to pay the $5 fee right when you get it the first time, and again every year if you want to renew your subscription to the Bank.

Raezioo

Mister Mohawk
Years
Pokémon around the world

Hi peeps!

I'm so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I'm kinda new to the forum and I'm still searching stuff :)

First, a little explanation for this thread :)
I created an account on this forum a few days ago, because I don't really have too many friends around me who play Pokémon too... Now that I think of it, nobody I know plays it haha :D
I wanted to meet new people. And that's how I came to these 2 questions:

1. I, myself, are from Belgium, and I'd like to know how many other Belgian peeps are playing Pokémon, because I don't really know how popular Pokémon is in Belgium ;)

2. And of course, the second question would be, what are all the other peeps' nationalities. I kinda want to know in what countries Pokémon is popular. I see loads of Japanese people and American people on PSS in Pokémon X/Y. But I can't possibly be the only Pokémonplayer that doesn't live in Japan or the US :p So, what country are you people from :)

Thanks! :D

Mylabugz

Mylakip
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 16, 2017
I'm German American. I was born in Germany, but I've lived most my life in America. I've seen a few people playing pokemon that were from Germany. Also welcome ^^

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Statistically, I can't exactly say, but I'm sure there are a lot. Pokémon is simply a global phenomenon, and is enjoyed by a wide range of people. Anyway, if you don't mind, I'm merging your thread with our Q&A topic, since these are questions.

Thread merged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back